Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,097 members, 7,852,705 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:41 AM

Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates (3183 Views)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / Let's Stop Religious Prejudices And Discrimination / To All Non-christians: If Christ Should Come Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Seun(m): 8:17pm On Jan 30, 2007
How would you react if a friend you that a cartoon character is her greatest comfort, best friend and love in life?
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by CrazyMan(m): 8:20pm On Jan 30, 2007
Such friend needs prayers
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by gbadex1(m): 8:21pm On Jan 30, 2007
lmao!
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Softee(f): 8:24pm On Jan 30, 2007
Seun:

How would you react if a friend you that a cartoon character is her greatest comfort, best friend and love in life?

Its good you say this.

My dear Followers of Christ. This is a perfect example of what you should not reply to. When Seun finally wants to admit hes lost, as many of us has been. Maybe then it will be appropriate to reply to him.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Softee(f): 8:25pm On Jan 30, 2007
Good day.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by shahan(f): 8:30pm On Jan 30, 2007
mrpataki:

@ Softee,
www.nairaland.com is not the only forum online where such heated debates and arguments as this that you have brought out occurs? Infact nairaland's version is even mild! wink

Voice of the elders! cheesy

Anyway, may I ask you Softee what you make of the following verses:

Act 9:29 - "And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him."

Act 17:16-17 - "Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry. Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him."

Act 28:23 - "And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening."

Jude 3 - "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints" (ISV - "to continue your vigorous defense of the faith"wink.

Besides, I think you should help us follow your context by not becoming antagonistic to Seun, since you hinted that Jesus laid it upon your heart not to do so. cheesy
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by mrpataki(m): 8:42pm On Jan 30, 2007
@ Shahan,
Voice of elders for where grin grin grin
A simple young man like moi wink wink

@ Seun,
I actually prayed for you today! Hope you get to know the love of God again.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Softee(f): 8:50pm On Jan 30, 2007
antagonistic
adjective
Acting against or in opposition:
adversarial, adverse, antipathetic, opposed, opposing, oppositional.

What part of me was acting this way towards Seun. I got nothing but love for him and would love to help him.  smiley
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by shahan(f): 8:57pm On Jan 30, 2007
Softee:

What part of me was acting this way towards Seun. I got nothing but love for him and would love to help him.  smiley

Uhm. . . something like this - ?

Softee:

Please seun, If you got lost on your journey what makes you think other Christians should give up on theirs. Your expiriences are not another mans expiriences so you are not qualified to tell anyone that.

Anyways, it's only a matter of perspective, and I deliberately used "antagonistic" to share my point earlier about how "debating/debate(s)" may be used in several contexts than one - either positively or negatively! cheesy

However, I didn't see your reply to the verses I offered you??
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Softee(f): 9:03pm On Jan 30, 2007
shahan:

Uhm. . . something like this - ?

Anyways, it's only a matter of perspective, and I deliberately used "antagonistic" to share my point earlier about how "debating/debate(s)" may be used in several contexts than one - either positively or negatively! cheesy

However, I didn't see your reply to the verses I offered you??

To be honest shahan right now i can't be bothered to go through those verses, i will later on though.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by shahan(f): 9:08pm On Jan 30, 2007
@Softee,

No qualms sis - be cool. cheesy
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by babs787(m): 1:32pm On Jan 31, 2007
@lafile,

be expecting my post to your biased post.

stay focused till i come your way
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by goodguy(m): 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2007
Christian:  Jesus is God.

Muslim:  That's a lie!  Prove it!

Christian:  In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God (John 1:1).

Muslim:  That's very wrong.  That's blasphemy!  How dare you equate a mere mortal with God?  Infact, your Bible is so full of frauds and lies!

Christian:  Are you so blind that you cannot comprehend simple truths?

Muslim:  What truths?  Those are nothing but lies.  How possible is it for 2 persons to be the same and still refer to one another as Son and Father?

Christian:  You are either simply ignorant or you have a chronic inability to comprehend objective arguments.

Muslim:  Me, ignorant?  I don't blame you.  You lack common sense, retard!

Christian:  Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him (Proverbs 26:4).

Muslim:  Idiot, you just answered me.  That makes you a fool as well!

Christian:  Father forgive them, for they know not what they say.

Muslim:  After calling me a fool?  Good Christian indeed.  Hypocrite!

. . . and the fight debate continues. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Bobbyaf(m): 7:16pm On Jan 31, 2007
I see the point you're making Goodguy. It is so easy to get caught up with religious contention. Do you think there is a way to overcome that problem?

What would it require to be more successful in delivering what one thinks is truth, without offending un-necessarily?
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by KAG: 7:17pm On Jan 31, 2007
gbade.x:

@ KAG:

now who the schmuck do you think you're giving lip? Hold your peace! The reason why i don't bother on 'em threads anymore are because of peeps like you. The "oh, hey, i'm an atheist so my position's always right and you theists are always wrong,

Perhaps - Softee and other Christians - the trouble isn't the non-Christians, but the misconceptions you have, the hubris you exhibit, and the disdain you show. I admit that I have sometimes being rather harsh and occasionally rude in a debate or discussion, but certainly I'd suggest that it's time we all looked at the mirror and see if we aren't projecting.

so u need to shut up i'm right, u wrong " mentality u and your likes keep up.

"Most times, these non-believers are not willing to let go of their pre-conceived notions and agendas in the face of enlightment and the Gospel"

Once again, the trouble with irony -

Don't give me lip!

O s'aro kutukutu. so ara re gidi gan ni!!!

Irony ko, Metalni ni

And some wonder why discussions and debates become chaotic.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by KAG: 7:20pm On Jan 31, 2007
Softee:

You may think it is very hypocritical of me to say this as i have done this quite a lot. However i stopped when Christ layed it on my heart to do so. I haven't debated or wrote one religious comment since last year august.

CHRISTIANS

Christ said himself that the world hated him first. It is unlikely that us arguing and trying to put his word across to unbelievers who don't want to hear, but mock the word is going to change their opinion. I don't think there is anything wrong with informing a nonbeliever or reasurring someone of course, but debating is a problem that Christ himself said don't do. It is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that a non-beliver can be transformed and we all need to trust the Holy Spirit.

You see what makes us differen't is that we have the gift of the Holy Spirit so we do not need to take part in Religious Debating. We serve a powerful God, A God of Concequences and A God of Love.

I know you've decided debating isn't for you, so I won't bother giving my rather long winded view on the issue. However, I just wanted to know if this is in the Bible: "debating is a problem that Christ himself said don't do". Just curious.

Remember whoever will perish will perish.

Satan is moving and has blinded the eyes of Men.

Are you a Calvinist? Just curious once again.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by goodguy(m): 8:46pm On Jan 31, 2007
Bobbyaf:

I see the point you're making Goodguy. It is so easy to get caught up with religious contention. Do you think there is a way to overcome that problem?

What would it require to be more successful in delivering what one thinks is truth, without offending un-necessarily?

One thing we Christians fail to realise is that, the same way we feel about our religion is exactly the same way the Muslims feel about their religion.  Nothing you say will convince the other party that your own religion is superior, because both parties strongly believe their religion is the best.  The same way a Christian cannot accept claims made by a Muslim against Christianity, a Muslim will never accept claims made by Christians against Islam.

When we're arguing with Muslims, or any others, we should try putting ourselves in their position and try viewing things from their perspective.  Try seeing what makes him/her believe what he/she believes in, and then counter it from that angle.  Everyone has a very strong opinion about what they truly believe in.  We believe in what we believe in, because we believe it is worth believing in, and if anyone now comes from no where to refute that which we strongly believe in, it will be difficult to accept it.  It'll even be more difficult, if that someone refutes our belief aggressively.

And I'll like to say this - You can never win an argument with an aggressive approach.  (Because grievous words stir up anger - Proverbs 15:1)

However, you can only totally convince an unbeliever by your good actions, your good deeds, your good lifestyle, and not just words alone.  Those that were referred to in the Bible quotes provided by Shahan not only convinced whoever was convinced, with their debates/words alone, but with the manner of lives they lived.  It's even more difficult to convince someone over the Internet, because nobody knows anybody, and whatever somebody says cannot just be generally accepted by everybody.

Someone once said, you'll not be remembered for what you said only, but also what you did. -- I guess we can apply this here also.

And yeah, you're right.  We should convey our messages without offending unnecessarily.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by barikade: 9:42pm On Jan 31, 2007
@goodguy,

I think you'd be in the same shoes you're polishing for others, because you're stating what you believe in the same that you feel others are stating theirs. What may not really be broadly applicable in every case is your belief that:

goodguy:

It's even more difficult to convince someone over the Internet, because nobody knows anybody, and whatever somebody says cannot just be generally accepted by everybody.

I will not pretend to know how this applies in every case; but believe me that I have seen so many people read stuff on a website and changed their views on their preconceptions. Just out of curiosity, I wondered why a former member left the SDA (now one of my friends). When I enquired what websites and blogs helped change his mind, it almost knocked me out flat to read the very aggressive language debaters used on the fora! Further asked him if he wasn't bothered about the missives traded across board, he smiled and quipped that anyone who was serious about the eternal destiny of his or her soul will see beyond the language and seek the gist of the discussion.

Pretty much the same could be said about two other friends who were former muslims. One came to change his mind about Islam and trusted Christ after a persistent and "aggressive" Christian kept urging him to investigate his religion. The other was hoping to 'hook' a lady in the UK for an arrangee marriage (MOC - marriage of convenience) so he could use her for the prestigious visa. Fair enough, he never said he saw aggresive material on the web against Islam; but did admit that part of the same aggressive approach from his "former bait" (as he previously called her) helped him reconsider his own aggressive 'blindness' in Islam. They've been happily married since and living in the UK.

I'm not advocating vitriol or calumny in debates; but I'm not too sure that "it's even more difficult to convince someone over the Internet". Fair enough that Prov. 15:1 should help shape discussions on the Forum; but "aggressive approach" is a relative term if it fails to be contextually defined.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by goodguy(m): 10:37pm On Jan 31, 2007
I do not doubt the fact that people's views and beliefs are being changed over the Internet. Personally, I've had my views changed about certain things from what I read here on Nairaland everyday. But that part you quoted was just a complement to the first paragraph of the whole post.

That is, it's more difficult to convince someone who's belief in Islam, is just as strong as your belief in Christianity; - over the Internet - especially when it's done aggressively.

And as for the "aggressive approach", the Bible verse I provided has stated conspicuously how I meant it.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Bobbyaf(m): 4:05am On Feb 01, 2007
@ Goodguy

One thing we Christians fail to realise is that, the same way we feel about our religion is exactly the same way the Muslims feel about their religion.  Nothing you say will convince the other party that your own religion is superior, because both parties strongly believe their religion is the best.  The same way a Christian cannot accept claims made by a Muslim against Christianity, a Muslim will never accept claims made by Christians against Islam.

When we're arguing with Muslims, or any others, we should try putting ourselves in their position and try viewing things from their perspective.  Try seeing what makes him/her believe what he/she believes in, and then counter it from that angle.  Everyone has a very strong opinion about what they truly believe in.  We believe in what we believe in, because we believe it is worth believing in, and if anyone now comes from no where to refute that which we strongly believe in, it will be difficult to accept it.  It'll even be more difficult, if that someone refutes our belief aggressively.

And I'll like to say this - You can never win an argument with an aggressive approach.  (Because grievous words stir up anger - Proverbs 15:1)

However, you can only totally convince an unbeliever by your good actions, your good deeds, your good lifestyle, and not just words alone.  Those that were referred to in the Bible quotes provided by Shahan not only convinced whoever was convinced, with their debates/words alone, but with the manner of lives they lived.  It's even more difficult to convince someone over the Internet, because nobody knows anybody, and whatever somebody says cannot just be generally accepted by everybody.

Someone once said, you'll not be remembered for what you said only, but also what you did. -- I guess we can apply this here also.

And yeah, you're right.  We should convey our messages without offending unnecessarily.

I don't think anyone can gainsay such a response. Really appreciated.

The approach we have taken over the years is to work among the moslems and buddhists in a practical way. We build strong bonds and friendships and also schools, clinics, that serve practical purposes. We also send our contractors, builders, doctors and health professionals to help restore their war-torned buildings, and to show them the path to a healthy lifestyle, and what we have seen is a tolerance among the moslems, and others for this kind of involvement.

In India with such a large and dense population, and where poverty is rampant, spending money to assist with education and a proper health-care system in some villages, has witnessed staunch buddhists and hindus accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Peace!
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by tng(f): 1:05pm On Mar 01, 2007
@softee
Just something i was going to mention.A lot of these posters just bring up a topic to rile muslims and vice versa. Some of them r so blaphemous you begin to wonder.But i want to appeal to my muslim brothers and sisters; whenever you see such posts, dont reply please except for those dat reallywant to know. we know better.we shouldnt participate in their folly.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 01, 2007
tng:

@softee
Just something i was going to mention.A lot of these posters just bring up a topic to rile muslims and vice versa. Some of them r so blaphemous you begin to wonder.But i want to appeal to my muslim brothers and sisters; whenever you see such posts, don't reply please except for those that reallywant to know. we know better.we shouldnt participate in their folly.

aren't you saying this on the wrong thread?
are you a faithful follower of Christ?
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by babs787(m): 12:03pm On Mar 02, 2007
@babysin,

babyosisi:

aren't you saying this on the wrong thread?
are you a faithful follower of Christ?

Are you that daft for asking such a question?

So you know that this is christians' thread when you went stupidly to Islamic thread posting stupid website
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by Nobody: 2:26am On Mar 03, 2007
babs787:

@babysin,

Are you that daft for asking such a question?

So you know that this is christians' thread when you went stupidly to Islamic thread posting stupid website

wow,did your 3rd wife run away?
grow a beard and she may return!
why are you so mad?
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by mrpataki(m): 3:26pm On Mar 03, 2007
babyosisi:

wow,did your 3rd wife run away?
Hes a bit frustrated at the moment! Maybe you should have asked him, are you the cause of his frustrations undecided grin grin

babyosisi:

grow a beard and she may return!
You couldnot have said it better!

babyosisi:
why are you so mad?
Blaba 787, got pissed, he started barking real hard!
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by jagunlabi(m): 3:57pm On Mar 03, 2007
That's the spirit!If you can't convince them through debates,abandon them.
You christians are beginning to learn that this world does not revolve around your dogma.
This world was created with diversity on all levels well embedded in it,by GOD.
Diversity in languages,cultures,traditions,customs,religions,system of thoughts,etc.
That is how it was,is,and will always be.
Because that was how it was meant to be.
The muslims are next.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by mrpataki(m): 4:27pm On Mar 03, 2007
jagunlabi:

That's the spirit!If you can't convince them through debates,abandon them.
You christians are beginning to learn that this world does not revolve around your dogma.
Diversity in languages,cultures,traditions,customs,religions,system of thoughts,etc.
That is how it was,is,and will always be.
Because that was how it was meant to be.
The muslims are next.

So to you, this is about a Religion Shift! You need a Paradigm Spiritual Shift Man!
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by syrup(f): 4:52pm On Mar 03, 2007
mrpataki:

So to you, this is about a Religion Shift! You need a Paradigm Spiritual Shift Man!

He doesn't really need a paradigm shift, as he has often been neither here nor there.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by jagunlabi(m): 5:13pm On Mar 03, 2007
Only your tunnel way of thinking makes you arive at that,my dear fella.A more discerning person knows what i am talking about.
mrpataki:

Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by jagunlabi(m): 5:17pm On Mar 03, 2007
And so is God.
Paradigm shift should be considered by the warring factions of both muslims and christians,worldwide,and on this webboard.
God does not belong to these two religions alone.
Paradigm shift,dogma shift,doctrine shift,call it whatever shift you want,but you guys gotta shift from your present positions or you face a future of spiritual irrelevance.Both muslims and christians,that is.
syrup:

He doesn't really need a paradigm shift, as he has often been neither here nor there.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by syrup(f): 5:41pm On Mar 03, 2007
@jagunlabi,

I knew you couldn't hold yourself and predictably fell into your own noose in the fumbled idea that you might throw an invective.

jagunlabi:

I had wanted to ask what "GOD" you were noising on the Forum in your statement above; and here is how you anticpated that question:

syrup:

jagunlabi:

And so is God.

There is your own version of "GOD" - the one you have often been shifting here and there. Trying to slur the beliefs of others when you don't even have a ground to stand on is the reason for your desperation.
Re: Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates by mrpataki(m): 5:29pm On Mar 04, 2007
syrup:

@ Syrup,
Indeed you are very right here. I just realised it now!
Thanks once again smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Freemasonry And Illuminatti? / Names, Origin, Ancestry And History / Exposing The Power Of Marine Spirit In Sexuality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.