Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,578 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant (15085 Views)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? / Can A Rented Apartment Contribute To The Downfall Or Growth Of A Tenant? / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by IAmAmbrose(m): 11:22am On May 17, 2017
Its cool ... But not applicable in Nigeria except u want to be living under bridge

1 Like

Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by shumuel(m): 11:22am On May 17, 2017
This is not applicable in Nigeria, where a Tenant is not sure of where to get his/her next rent from, so in other words, you humble yourself and take what ever your Landlord mete on you, especially those wicked Landlady, because if you claim ''Right'' that wont help you the following year when you can't provide your rent when due,, No Mercy is what your case would be grin.
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by Famocious(m): 11:38am On May 17, 2017
Thanks for this post. I got a 3 bedroom apartment in Dec last year, got to know about inadequate water in our borehole due to shallow depth after a week.
I informed the landlord about this development and he promised to dig another borehole within a month. This is the 5th month , no sign of new borehole in view. Called the landlord again severylly but the man refused to pick my calls nor return them.
What can i do ?

1 Like

Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by Partnerbiz(f): 11:47am On May 17, 2017
StephDamielola:
undecided

What of a landlord that refuses to fix his house and the tenant decided to leave but he refused to give a quit notice so as to deny the tenant his entitled 3 months duration to quit. The tenant stayed 2 months and some weeks before packing out.

Now they are in court and he is demanding 3 months rent.

Should he pay?
It is not the law that a tenant will not pay during the period of quit notice or during the court period. If you like go to court for ten yrs, you will pay mesne profit. Its still same rwntw but calculated according to prevailing rates in the locality.

Again, the tenant should have been able to quit himself upon a notice to the landlord. You can't force sb to remain in your house. Just like saying an employee cannot resign except he tells d employer who will now sack him. He can just wake up and resign subject to maybe bonds eg if they trained him in school they may request that he must work for say 2 yrs. Yet if he says no he will pay d money in bond and go away.

It depends on d tenancy agreement shaa.

Tak kia.
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by Nobody: 11:54am On May 17, 2017
Partnerbiz:

It is not the law that a tenant will not pay during the period of quit notice or during the court period. If you like go to court for ten yrs, you will pay mesne profit. Its still same rwntw but calculated according to prevailing rates in the locality.

Again, the tenant should have been able to quit himself upon a notice to the landlord. You can't force sb to remain in your house. Just like saying an employee cannot resign except he tells d employer who will now sack him. He can just wake up and resign subject to maybe bonds eg if they trained him in school they may request that he must work for say 2 yrs. Yet if he says no he will pay d money in bond and go away.

It depends on d tenancy agreement shaa.

Tak kia.

The tenancy agreement is for one year... But the house was poo, like rain disturbs the tenant to a point he lost his electronics to roof leakages one time "He has video evidence". He calls on the landlord to fix it but he kept on using tricks on him. Now the tenant decided never to stay again.

He employed a new lawyer lately and the guy just walked up to the tenant demanding for mense profit or else meet him in court.

He has taken the matter to court.
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by tukdi: 12:18pm On May 17, 2017
IJEOMA7512:
Is there any lawful given period of time
before landlord increases house rent,

Practically No! the new rent will take effect afta d expiration of d old rent! cool
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by tukdi: 12:20pm On May 17, 2017
yemmight:

Is it a must for tenant to pay one year's rent after the expiration of first payment?

Not a must!

it depends on d Landlord sha! undecided
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by tukdi: 12:26pm On May 17, 2017
Lemonade01:
I have a question I want legally knowledgeable persons to shed light on. 1.The 3 month quit notice to the tenant,is it a myth or its real. 2. If the notice is served 3 months or more before the tenancy expires, is the landlord obliged to give a 3month after tenancy expires with no pay to fufil this condition??

You are only entitled to notices (6 months or 3 months) when d tenancy hasn't expired!

once d tenancy has expired, u are only entitled to 7 days notice by d Landlord! cool

1 Like

Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by LeSaint(m): 12:31pm On May 17, 2017
One tenant converts their quarters to commercial, and cause inconvenience and insecurity to the rest of the tenants. Landlord may have consented.

What can the other tenants do in this case?
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by NoToPile: 12:45pm On May 17, 2017
tukdi:

You are only entitled to notices (6 months or 3 months) when d tenancy hasn't expired!

once d tenancy has expired, u are only entitled to 7 days notice by d Landlord! cool

A lot of people don't know this.

You will see tenants that are owing 6moths rent and after asking them to quit the house they will ask for 6 month notice without pay again.

Nigerians ehn .

1 Like

Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by tukdi: 12:56pm On May 17, 2017
NoToPile:

A lot of people don't know this.

You will see tenants that are owing 6moths rent and after asking them to quit the house they will ask for 6 month notice without pay again.

Nigerians ehn .

Exactly!!! grin

Most times I blame some greedy landlords who don't want to engage d services of a lawyer! undecided

THEN, most times I also blame some lawyers who don't really know their work sha! cool

Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by IJEOMA7512(f): 12:58pm On May 17, 2017
tukdi:

Practically No! the new rent will take effect afta d expiration of d old rent! cool
that means he can increase rent 2 or 3 tims within the interval of 2years for old tenant
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by tukdi: 1:01pm On May 17, 2017
IJEOMA7512:
that means he can increase rent 2 or 3 tims within the interval of 2years for old tenant

Yes! grin

If u don't want to comply, he can decide not to renew ur tenancy! undecided
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by godwin120alex: 1:02pm On May 17, 2017
Go inform Ajomale the APC chairman of Lagos not to use his house on number 10 Aliu , Ago Palace to do political meetings and campaign etc while disturbing his tenants.

After he will be evicting tenants every 2 yrs in the disguise of renovating his house. Meanwhile he will do one thing and rent the house out again.
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by beyondwalls: 1:40pm On May 17, 2017
Please has anyone experienced a case where other tenants run Generator through out the night and the noise from the Gen is like the sound from okada without silencer constituting nuisance?
Dialogue both with landlord and the tenant has been to no avail.
Does LASEPA really works? What can really be done to this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by CaptainFM1: 4:17pm On May 17, 2017
IJEOMA7512:
Is there any lawful given period of time
before landlord increases house rent,

Is there a lawful given period when prices commodities in the market should be increased?

The property is the business/enterprise of the Landlord, so just the same way u decide to increase fuel, electricity, water, school fees, bus fare, Cable TV increase, salary increase etc, so also the Landlord can increase his house rent.
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by Tonymegabush1(m): 4:22pm On May 17, 2017
Pls my fellow NL I have an issue concerning landlord n myself, the story goes thus I paid for a room selfcon apartments in one of city in Nigeria 1yr though to unforseen circumstances I had to relocate to another town I notify d landlord of my intentions to leave the state he said no problem but since he didn't have enuf cash at hand that I should wait till they get a replacement before I get my payment back I agreed I left the town parking out all my thing from the room after like three month they got a replacement to take the room now it's time to refund my moni he told me that the 3mths it took them to get a replacement will be deducted from my payment and the remaining will be given tome Abeg my ppl how una see this issue should I forfeit 3mths payment and collect the lest or demand my full payment
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by JC2021: 2:28pm On Apr 13, 2023
Cyberknight:

There is in Lagos State. I can't remember it exactly, but its something like any rent increase cannot exceed a specific percentage, I believe in the region of 25%, not so sure, within a period of some years, maybe 4 or 5, or so. Of course, most of these laws are dead letters, but they are on the books, and can be invoked, with what success, one cannot say.
Kindly point to the section in Lagos tenancy law or any other relevant document that states this. I'm in a fix now, my rent was just increased by 30% less than 2 years of my stay in an office. I will appreciate anyone's help in this regard.
Re: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant by JC2021: 2:30pm On Apr 13, 2023
Famocious:
Thanks for this post. I got a 3 bedroom apartment in Dec last year, got to know about inadequate water in our borehole due to shallow depth after a week.
I informed the landlord about this development and he promised to dig another borehole within a month. This is the 5th month , no sign of new borehole in view. Called the landlord again severylly but the man refused to pick my calls nor return them.
What can i do ?
Are you sure we ain't neighbours? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

THE NEW PHASE OF DELIGHT ESTATE BY LEKKI EPE EXP. ELEKO LAGOS / Whole House Audio System + Cctv Installations For A Nairalander / Cost Of Buying A Swimming Pool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.