Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones (1313 Views)

3 Reasons Nigerians Should Stop Looking Down On Android Go Smartphones / The Next Android Os [Android Oreo] Features / Help With Info. On Cheaper Edge Series In The Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Astutechris(m): 11:33am On May 18, 2017
Android Go was an unexpected announcement at the Google I/O 2017 showdown as many fans were expecting just the Android O details. The Android Go program shows the company is still working on improving user experience for devices at the low end category running on Android OS.

The initial move was the Android One program which we saw on some phones like the Infinix Hot 2. Android Go is a version of the popular mobile operating system that has been optimised for smartphones with 1GB RAM or less, thus primarily aimed at emerging markets. It is a stripped down version of Android as we know it, and comes with apps that have been optimised to consume fewer resources.

Android Go main Objectives

Android Go’s main objective focuses on three things: optimising the latest release of Android to run smoothly on entry-level devices, a rebuilt set of Google apps that uses less memory, storage space(10MB or less) and lesser mobile data and finally, a version of Play Store that will not only make the entire catalogue possible but will also highlight apps specifically designed for entry-level users. These three features will ship to Android O devices with 1GB or less memory starting in 2018.

It didn’t end there…

Google is also re-designing apps like YouTube Go, Chrome and Gboard to use less memory and are easy on mobile data. The company is making optimisations to the system UI and the kernel to allow an Android O device built with the Go configuration to run smoothly on as low as 512MB to 1GB of Random Access Memory.

This is generally seen as a very welcomed development given the rapid growth in low-end smartphones’ market. Devices with Android Go will have data management and savings in quick settings, and teaming up with carriers will let you keep track of how much data you’ve been consuming with the ability to top up. Meanwhile, the already existing data saving feature in apps like Chrome will be activated by default.

Source: https://www.naijaandroidarena.com/android-go-light-version-android-used-low-end-phones/

cc: lalastica smiley
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by kio052001(m): 12:26pm On May 18, 2017
this is sweet*

some people will be forming 20gb RAM why me and my 1gb RAM device is devouring the net simply because they keep loading their phone with unwanted apps, later jump into the market searching for 100gb RAM phone

optimisation is that because function a phone can have

1 Like

Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Astutechris(m): 1:31pm On May 18, 2017
kio052001:
this is sweat

some people will be forming 20gb RAM why me and my 1gb RAM device is devouring the net simply because they keep loading their phone with unwanted apps, later jump into the market searching for 100gb RAM phone

optimisation is that because function a phone can have

Lol...there is point in that though smiley

1 Like

Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Milo30(m): 3:32pm On May 18, 2017
While cause seems noble, unless Google might push this by themselves, this may not leave the ground.

First of all, it goes against the main market strategy, which is to sell the most expensive device possible. Why do you think flagships only get more expensive? Africa has already caught the fever. How many "cheap" phones do you see around anymore?

Secondly, what part of the market are they competing with? Are they aiming to blot out feature phones (torch light), force manufacturers to sell cheaper phones, or create an entirely new market? The Android One idea worked really well because it was the ticket Infinix needed to grab a good hold of the market share (or basically customers). Now that they are all big boys, I don't think they will want to play that card anymore. E.g. Itel. Think about that move with the S30 wink

Lastly, the majority of the customers get this phones, just to intimidate one another. This is a known fact, and has been Android's success model (and pretty much everybody else) ever since. How many Instagram "snap myself in the mirror" pictures do you see low end phones? NONE. Basically, we all want a higher end phone.

So I think that unless Google is going to roll out baby Pixel or Nexus models (that's right, LOL) and aggressively market it, this Go ship might not float.

Heck we can't even get OS updates for most phones from Tecno and friends. Lets see how it goes anyway.

3 Likes

Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Astutechris(m): 7:52pm On May 18, 2017
Milo30:
While cause seems noble, unless Google might push this by themselves, this may not leave the ground.

First of all, it goes against the main market strategy, which is to sell the most expensive device possible. Why do you think flagships only get more expensive? Africa has already caught the fever. How many "cheap" phones do you see around anymore?

Secondly, what part of the market are they competing with? Are they aiming to blot out feature phones (torch light), force manufacturers to sell cheaper phones, or create an entirely new market? The Android One idea worked really well because it was the ticket Infinix needed to grab a good hold of the market share (or basically customers). Now that they are all big boys, I don't think they will want to play that card anymore. E.g. Itel. Think about that move with the S30 wink

Lastly, the majority of the customers get this phones, just to intimidate one another. This is a known fact, and has been Android's success model (and pretty much everybody else) ever since. How many Instagram "snap myself in the mirror" pictures do you see low end phones? NONE. Basically, we all want a higher end phone.

So I think that unless Google is going to roll out baby Pixel or Nexus models (that's right, LOL) and aggressively market it, this Go ship might not float.

Heck we can't even get OS updates for most phones from Tecno and friends. Lets see how it goes anyway.

Hmmm....nice argument. Let's just sit back and observe them.

2 Likes

Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by austinereds(m): 8:01pm On May 18, 2017
Let just wait and see. It will be a real war looming. See them copying BB
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Milo30(m): 9:03pm On May 18, 2017
austinereds:
Copying BB? Please explain
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by lanre316: 2:19am On May 19, 2017
austinereds:

Is BB still existing? What do they have that can be copied?

2 Likes

Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by austinereds(m): 6:39am On May 19, 2017
Milo30:

Copying BB? Please explain
__
Reducing Data consumption and apps sizes to promote effectiveness. they also need to work on security, mobile bugs and viruses.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by austinereds(m): 6:42am On May 19, 2017
lanre316:

Is BB still existing? What do they have that can be copied?
Reducing Data consumption and apps sizes to promote effectiveness. they also need to work on security, mobile bugs and viruses. have you heard of BB having viruses, bugs.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Milo30(m): 7:01am On May 19, 2017
austinereds:
__
Reducing Data consumption and apps sizes to promote effectiveness. they also need to work on security, mobile bugs and viruses.
Is it the "pop" generation Blackberry (BBM et al) or the BB OS 10 generation?
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by lanre316: 7:08am On May 19, 2017
austinereds:

Reducing Data consumption and apps sizes to promote
effectiveness. they also need to work on security, mobile bugs
and viruses. have you heard of BB having viruses, bugs.

You have a point.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by kio052001(m): 8:50am On May 19, 2017
austinereds:

Reducing Data consumption and apps sizes to promote
effectiveness. they also need to work on security, mobile bugs
and viruses. have you heard of BB having viruses, bugs.
talking about reduction in data consumption and sizes of apps I agree with you 100% but what I don't understand is their own app (BBM) was and is still huge
but sah, I personally will be very happy if they succeed with the Android GO
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by austinereds(m): 12:48pm On May 19, 2017
Milo30:

Is it the "pop" generation Blackberry (BBM et al) or the BB OS 10 generation?
__ BB OS 10 and other BB andriod phone.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Milo30(m): 7:20pm On May 19, 2017
austinereds:
__ BB OS 10 and other BB andriod phone.
The old Blackberry software was not as dynamic as Android. It didn't really allow third party apps, not as much as Android does. So both have pros and cons. But saying that Android is copying Black berry on the Go project is a broad claim. Also BB OS 10 is a forked version of Android, so that doesn't count.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by austinereds(m): 7:28pm On May 19, 2017
Milo30:

The old Blackberry software was not as dynamic as Android. It didn't really allow third party apps, not as much as Android does. So both have pros and cons. But saying that Android is copying Black berry on the Go project is a broad claim. Also BB OS 10 is a forked version of Android, so that doesn't count.

I still can't comprehend.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Milo30(m): 10:13pm On May 19, 2017
austinereds:

I still can't comprehend.
I don't think Google is copying Black berry on the Android Go project.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Dandsome: 1:41am On May 20, 2017
That's gonna be great
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by austinereds(m): 7:39am On May 20, 2017
Milo30:
I don't think Google is copying Black berry on the Android Go project.
Hmmm. nah Blackberry set the pace.
Re: New Android OS: Android Go To Be Used On Cheaper Android Phones by Milo30(m): 8:00am On May 20, 2017
austinereds:

Hmmm. nah Blackberry set the pace.
*sigh* Alright

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Is Becoming Useless Like Glo / Galaxy Note2 Battery 4 Sale #1500 / Any Close Alternative To Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 In The Nigerian Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.