Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership (616 Views)

Is Nigeria Rich Or Poor, Lets Find Out.. / Poor Leadership Threatening Nigeria’s Existence – Secondus / Nigeria Is A Very Rich Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by pressplay411(m): 2:49pm On May 20, 2017
Rich Country, Poor Leadership.

No doubt the world powers are instrumental in the downward spiral that has plagued this great nation of ours since we discovered oil and Nigeria became a major global threat they could not bear. Their strategy was simple, Divide and Rule. And it's still as potent and effective now as it was then.

When are we ever going to rise from our rat race? Like a rodent in a maze, they're watching us as we keep tearing ourselves down.

Come 2019 we must start getting it right. We mustn't wait for APC and PDP to decide and impose another relic from the past upon us, we as a people need to decide and choose the candidates we consider most suitable at the helm of affairs. The power of social media no doubt installed the incumbent presidency. Once again let us harness this power to choose and start online campaign to select who we want to elect for the number one office in the country.

No I'm not an activist neither am I a politician but this is an issue that affects us all directly or indirectly.

And please before this call gets drowned by the millions of information permeating the cyberspace, just let it marinate and imagine for a minute A Nigeria Where Things Actually Are Working- Good Leadership, Stable Electricity, Functional Education System and Health Services, Effective and Efficient Public Service and Security, etc.
All these begins with Good Leadership, which begins with You and I demanding for it.

God Bless Nigeria and Nigerians.

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44
LePrezident
Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by eezeribe(m): 3:11pm On May 20, 2017
OK
Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by LePrezident(m): 3:20pm On May 20, 2017
pressplay411:
Rich Country, Poor Leadership.

No doubt the world powers are instrumental in the downward spiral that has plagued this great nation of ours since we discovered oil and Nigeria became a major global threat they could not bear. Their strategy was simple, Divide and Rule. And it's still as potent and effective now as it was then.

When are we ever going to rise from our rat race? Like a rodent in a maze, they're watching us as we keep tearing ourselves down.

Come 2019 we must start getting it right. We mustn't wait for APC and PDP to decide and impose another relic from the past upon us, we as a people need to decide and choose the candidates we consider most suitable at the helm of affairs. The power of social media no doubt installed the incumbent presidency. Once again let us harness this power to choose and start online campaign to select who we want to elect for the number one office in the country.

No I'm not an activist neither am I a politician but this is an issue that affects us all directly or indirectly.

And please before this call gets drowned by the millions of information permeating the cyberspace, just let it marinate and imagine for a minute A Nigeria Where Things Actually Are Working- Good Leadership, Stable Electricity, Functional Education System and Health Services, Effective and Efficient Public Service and Security, etc.
All these begins with Good Leadership, which begins with You and I demanding for it.

God Bless Nigeria and Nigerians.

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44
LePrezident

See me thinks the west has little influence on how Nigeria has turned out really. True the west has pillaged some oil wealth et al but they have been aided by the connivance and contrivance of the political and ruling class who do not care about the affairs of the country. In fact Nigeria's oil wealth has been stolen more by Nigerian politicians than any other set of people.

Nigeria has the potential to be one of the greatest countries in the world by sheer virtue of size and resources but I keep despairing day by day especially when I come on Nairaland and read stories especially in politics section. The glaring case of Tribalism is the one major factor ruining Nigeria. The case where a politician has clearly stolen money meant for the state yet people who do not know this politician from Adam and neither did they benefit from the loot will be up in arms chanting support for the thieving politician all because he's from their tribe (that is the height of stupidity).

Tribalism is Nigeria's major bane. There needs to be an overhaul of mindset. A situation where an Acting President is seen as a possible succession threat not because he's incompetent but only because he's not of the same extraction as the sick President who might have to vacate the post. Then I ask, how does one man's occupancy of a seat affect your fortune if he's from your tribe. Why can't people put interest of the Nation and posterity ahead of myopic tribal bigotry.

The problem of Nigeria one of tribalism when a sect thinks they can wake up and be great by just declaring Biafra (this makes me laugh in Spanish). The only reason any Nigerian is relevant today is because of the nation Nigeria. Despite the set backs and widespread reputation of corruption, Nigeria cannot be overlooked in the league of nations when certain issues are being discussed. Anybody who wants a separate nation all in the name of faux pas "tribal" marginalisation should be ready to fade into insignificance. All those separatist agitations are infantile and immature and to see grey-bearded men championing this leaves a wry taste in the mouth. Youths following these adults do not know they're throwing their future under the bus only to help these self-centred bigots perpetuate their own self-enriching agenda and delusion of grandeur.

Nigeria's problem is tribalism when you see a crime topic and NCAN rush in to check names so they can shout 'awon olori pelebe' 'Igbos' 'afonja' 'cône heads' 'arewa' 'aboki' etc. This clearly shows that tribalism has eaten deep into the fabric of the Nigerian society. There is the need for a total overhaul of the nation's psyche

Tribalism remains Nigeria's major problem in the sense that it is easier for a Nigerian to marry a foreigner than he or she can marry a fellow Nigerian from another tribe just because of internal hate and superiority complex/battles amongst tribes. Really? I find this ridiculous! It makes no difference which tribe one is from, tribe does not define a person, individual character does. Every family (which translates into tribe) has bad nuts.

Nigeria's headache is tribalism cos when you take a close look, you will see that religious affiliations are closely linked to one's tribal extract. Those underlining and underpinning causative effect of religious conflict stems majorly from tribalism. Some people even attend some churches because the pastor is of their tribe (this is sad. The soul that will go before God's judgement has no tribe).

Now ask yourself, you as an igbo man/woman you could have been born to a Yoruba family and this you have absolutely no control over. You as a Yoruba person, you could have been born to Hausa parents and you have absolutely no control over and would you have regarded your current tribe this same way if you weren't born into that tribe?

True the colonial masters drew a boundary, but hey Nigeria is not the only country whose boundary was drawn by history yet a lot other people are co-habiting and making strides, so why exactly should Nigeria's story be different?

If you are a young Nigerian today blinded by a sense of tribalism first instead of country, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Absolutely.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by DrGoodman: 3:24pm On May 20, 2017
The only way to correct this problem is to punish bad voters! Yes!

Gather all those who voted for APC and flog them till all the canes finish in the forest grin

That way, they will be careful not to vote for a washed out dying bigot next time.
Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by pressplay411(m): 3:59pm On May 20, 2017
LePrezident:

See me thinks the west has little influence on how Nigeria has turned out really. True the west has pillaged some oil wealth et al but they have been aided by the connivance and contrivance of the political and ruling class who do not care about the affairs of the country. In fact Nigeria's oil wealth has been stolen more by Nigerian politicians than any other set of people.

Nigeria has the potential to be one of the greatest countries in the world by sheer virtue of size and resources but I keep despairing day by day especially when I come on Nairaland and read stories especially in politics section. The glaring case of Tribalism is the one major factor ruining Nigeria. The case where a politician has clearly stolen money meant for the state yet people who do not know this politician for Adam and neither did they benefit from the loot will be up in arms chanting support for the thieving politician all because he's from their tribe (that is the height of stupidity).

Tribalism is Nigeria's major bane. There needs to be an overhaul of mindset. A situation where an Acting President is seen as a possible succession threat not because he's incompetent but only because he's not of the same extraction as the sick President who might have to vacate the post. Then I ask, how does one man's occupancy of a seat affect your fortune if he's from your tribe. Why can't people put interest of the Nation and posterity ahead of myopic tribal bigotry.

The problem of Nigeria one of tribalism when a sect thinks they can wake up and be great by just declaring Biafra (this makes me laugh in Spanish). The only reason any Nigerian is relevant today is because of the nation Nigeria. Despite the set backs and widespread reputation of corruption, Nigeria cannot be overlooked in the league of nations when certain issues are being discussed. Anybody who wants a separate nation all in the name of faux pas "tribal" marginalisation should be ready to fade into insignificance. All those separatist agitations are infantile and immature and to see grey-bearded men championing this leaves a wry taste in the mouth. Youths following these adults do not know they're throwing their future under the bus only to help these self-centred bigots perpetuate their own self-enriching agenda and delusion of grandeur.

Nigeria's problem is tribalism when you see a crime topic and NCAN rush in to check names so they can shout 'awon olori pelebe' 'Igbos' 'afonja' 'cône heads' 'arewa' 'aboki' etc. This clearly shows that tribalism has eaten deep into the fabric of the Nigerian society. There is the need for a total overhaul of the nation's psyche

Tribalism remains Nigeria's major problem in the sense that it is easier for a Nigerian to marry a foreigner than he or she can marry a fellow Nigerian from another tribe just because of internal hate and superiority complex/battles amongst tribes. Really? I find this ridiculous! It makes no difference which tribe one is from, tribe does not define a person, individual character does. Every family (which translates into tribe) has bad nuts.

Nigeria's headache is tribalism cos when you take a close look, you will see that religious affiliations are closely linked to one's tribal extract. Those underlining and underpinning causative effect of religious conflict stems majorly from tribalism. Some people even attend some churches because the pastor is of their tribe (this is sad. The soul that will go before God's judgement has no tribe).

Now ask yourself, you as an igbo man/woman you could have been born to a Yoruba family and this you have absolutely no control over. You as a Yoruba person, you could have been born to Hausa parents and you have absolutely no control over and would you have regarded your current tribe this same way if you weren't born into that tribe?

True the colonial masters drew a boundary, but hey Nigeria is not the only country whose boundary was drawn by history yet a lot other people are co-habiting and making strides, so why exactly should Nigeria's story be different?

If you are a young Nigerian today blinded by a sense of tribalism first instead of country, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Absolutely.

QED
Nailed it.
But can tribalism really be obliterated?
Tribalism is just as bad as racism so it can't really be erased. It can only be checked.
I do think we should learn to coexist and trust one another better putting national interest first.
Individuals and Politicians should be assessed based on merit and character not tribal and religious inclinations. This is how forward thinking progressive countries achieved their world power status.
It really is an eyesore when educated literates who should know better reduce themselves to the threshold of trading tribal invectives especially across various social platforms, Nairaland inclusive, I can only resist the urge to call them out. It's embarrassing what the outside world must make of us.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by pressplay411(m): 4:06pm On May 20, 2017
DrGoodman:
The only way to correct this problem is to punish bad voters! Yes!

Gather all those who voted for APC and flog them till all the canes finish in the forest grin

That way, they will be careful not to vote for a washed out dying bigot next time.

Lol well in the absence of such option, can we focus on profering solutions?
Can't blame APC voters, Nigeria was presented with the Hobson's choice of The Devil You Know VS The Angel You Don't (Really) Know. That's the mistake we should definitely prevent in the coming 2019 elections.
Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by LePrezident(m): 4:09pm On May 20, 2017
pressplay411:

QED
Nailed it.
But can tribalism really be obliterated?
Tribalism is just as bad as racism so it can't really be erased. It can only be checked.
I do think we should learn to coexist and trust one another better putting national interest first.
Individuals and Politicians should be assessed based on merit and character not tribal and religious inclinations. This is how forward thinking progressive countries achieved their world power status.
It really is an eyesore when educated literates who should know better reduce themselves to the threshold of trading tribal invectives especially across various social platforms, Nairaland inclusive, I can only resist the urge to call them out. It's embarrassing what the outside world must make of us.

True, there's the need for a select group of young Nigerians with high integrity to start a political movement in the form of a political party (but not a political party). The age threshold should be 40. These folks should stand for political positions and find a way to have the constitution changed to have younger people qualify for the position of President. The old folks have failed Nigeria and they cannot save it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by pressplay411(m): 4:34pm On May 20, 2017
LePrezident:

ue, there's the need for a select group of young Nigerians with high integrity to start a political movement in the form of a political party (but not a political party). The age threshold should be 40 Theshould stand for political positions and find a way to have the constitution changed to have younger people qualify for the position of President. The old folks have failed Nigeria and they cannot save it.

Haha in Nigeria? Are we ready for that?
No doubt a revolution of sort is inevitable. I believe this coming election would be a very decisive one.
On the one side we have the Tribal angle already playong out itself with Hausa and Yoruba haggling over whether or not Osibanjo would be allowed to run for presidency as Buhari is already incapacitated, hopefully he's able to finish this term so there's already tensions brewing although it might just be media generated. Igbos might also be agitating for better representation but they kee shooting themselves in the foot with the biafra drums. On the otherhand we need more credible and proactive opposition against the incumbent.
Hence the need for a major campaign to gain inertia from this early stage before the fate of the next election is sealed.
Re: Nigeria: Rich Country, Poor Leadership by LePrezident(m): 4:40pm On May 20, 2017
pressplay411:

Haha in Nigeria? Are we ready for that?
No doubt a revolution of sort is inevitable. I believe this coming election would be a very decisive one.
On the one side we have the Tribal angle already playong out itself with Hausa and Yoruba haggling over whether or not Osibanjo would be allowed to run for presidency as Buhari is already incapacitated, hopefully he's able to finish this term so there's already tensions brewing although it might just be media generated. Igbos might also be agitating for better representation but they kee shooting themselves in the foot with the biafra drums. On the otherhand we need more credible and proactive opposition against the incumbent.
Hence the need for a major campaign to gain inertia from this early stage before the fate of the next election is sealed.

You see? Now there goes the Nigeria problem I was talking about. People usually fail to see beyond their tribes. When stomachs and pockets are empty people will be shouting tribes while the few ruling class fill their pockets and stoke the tribal flames. I'll blame the white man for handing over Nigeria to the individuals he handed over the country to not the stolen resources cos if that was the case Singapore won't be years ahead of Nigeria considering that they have only Human Resource and no natural resource. The white man should have done a gradual withdrawal and done serious vetting to handover to selfless leaders like a Kagame of Rwanda not some self-centred persons.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Defies Court Order, Addresses Pro-biafra Crowd / 50th Biafra Anniversary: IPOB, MASSOB, Security Agencies Hold Processions In Owe / Exposing Sun Newspaper And Their Dirty Dealings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.