Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,784 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? (38139 Views)

Prophet Oladele Genesis Gives Widow Church Offering, Salary / How The Bible Shows That Abortion Is The Murder Of A Living Thing / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by ScepticalPyrrho: 9:40am On May 21, 2017
olafum1:
Even till date, scientists confirms that the entire universe continue to expand. At that time, the universe/earth is small And they can actually build a tower that reaches heaven
Please, I need that bird with that prying eye to attach to this quote.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Reinvented: 9:40am On May 21, 2017
May I humbly request that Seun and his mods create access affirmative statement for Christian threads like they did for muslim threads. My suggested affirmative statement would be:

"I affirm that I am a Christian, I believe in God the Father, God the Son & God the Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus is Lord and died for my sins. By this token I affirm that I am born again and washed in the precious blood of Jesus. Dear Holy Spirit accept me and fill me to overflowing. In Jesus name - Amen"

4 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by iwadobo: 9:40am On May 21, 2017
Most of the things you read in the Bible , like Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruits, talking camel, building of the tower etc , are mere allegories. The ancient scribes were fond of using concrete objects to describe events . The tower described here signifies unity, that is one accord. Men were living together and doing things together with one accord . With such accord, comes sthrenght, comes doing the so called impossible and this would have caused disaster to man as man wasn't mature enough then to attempt what they would have attempted if God has left them alone to continue in unison. By giving them different languages, they were given opportunities to develop in their respective pace.,

Even with maturity of man now, the world as a universal village has not still benefited mankind except some selected few. That is why we have more crimes now than ever before. People selling thier kidneys to buy iPhone 7, selling thier bodies to live a luxurious life they wouldn't have thought of in the next one thousand years if not for the unification of the world . We can imagine how worse it would have been then if God had allowed the unity then when man was still in his craddles.

Peace profound to all true seekers in the house.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mrww(m): 9:41am On May 21, 2017
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUUxKTYllcE/
Just click and like this picture on Instagram
#much love
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by yahmaid04(m): 9:42am On May 21, 2017
The Bible is the most contradicting book on earth, it is full of fabrication from men.

3 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by megasoul: 9:42am On May 21, 2017
I usually don't comment on these kind of topics but I'll make an exception today.
IMO, heaven is a spiritual place and earth is a physical place. Heaven doesn't exist in the same realm as earth.
Again, let's assume heaven is actually up, that means earth should be enveloped inside of heaven, because it's a proven fact that the earth is spherical. As a result, up on one point of the earth is actually not same direction as up on another point. I mean an imaginary line drawn perpendicularly from Asia points to different direction from another drawn perpendicularly from Europe. All I'm trying to say is that in reality there is no common UP for mankind. People living on the greenwich meridian which is longitude 0" are standing at a right angle (90 degrees) relative to people living on longitude 90". It's the force of gravity that makes it possible for us to stand upright on the surface of the earth, and the brain gives us a sense of standing upright.
So if Heaven is actually up, then it has to be up around the entire earth just like earth's atmosphere and in that case we would be inside of it.

2 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Shafiiimran99: 9:42am On May 21, 2017
K1famous:
In reality, you have made a very good point which require a wise words. Some years back when i travel to isreal for research, someone from research team ask this type of question, and there was a priest in temple at jerusalem, who said ' he think 'God has raise heaven seven times more than the way it was from the first creation''. He said, God in his Mighty definately understand what the power of unity can be, so HE wouldn't have been border if HE knows man can't achieve it. GOD RAISE HEAven seven times high, and He bring up dissorder in language so that we all can reason in different way.
Fable
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Dottore: 9:42am On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

So that's how they built a rock tower that almost reached heaven.

God had every right to be scared. Over-familiarity brings contempt.
This is a reasonable response. I must confess, I almost followed a carnal interpretation and became somehow critical of the veracity of the Bible account of that tower but your input made me understand that there must have been an supernatural knowledge being employed by the people of those days. We'll done

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mykel25(m): 9:42am On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

I am 100% sure that Yahweh doesnt exist tongue

Do u mean God doesn't exist cuz God is Yahweh
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by odutolasodiq(m): 9:44am On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

So that's how they built a rock tower that almost reached heaven.

God had every right to be scared. Over-familiarity brings contempt.

Edit: the Bible is fiction. Nothing concern black man concern Abraham and im ppl.
Did You Just Say "God had every right to be scared"

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by bkool7(m): 9:45am On May 21, 2017
mykel25:

Wack analysis... So after scattering their language people with same language can't continue in that sin Abi....God is not dull na biko
Obviously , you didn't read the comment because If you had taken the time and patience to read and comprehend my reply you wouldnt call it wack
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by chukslawrence(m): 9:49am On May 21, 2017
DavidEsq:

Sori, he is right. God told Adam and Eve to be fruitful and fill the whole earth. Building the tower wld bring about a counter-productive effect, since man wld be fixed to one place and based on their intention of escaping from a futuristic punishment from God, they cldnt intend to go far away from the tower.
The Popes seem to be deaf then.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sexy74(m): 9:49am On May 21, 2017
mykel25:

Wack analysis... So after scattering their language people with same language can't continue in that sin Abi....God is not dull na biko
Guy borrow sense, when the language changed their would be confusion that will destabilize them first
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by alchemist13: 9:50am On May 21, 2017
In this passage, God was worried that mankind working together can achieve whatever they set their minds to and can even upset the cosmic order. Hence, why He confounded their languages and forced them to spread.

In those days heaven (the dwelling place of the gods) was thought to be a semi physical place above and can actually be reached by man. Hence why the sons of God could 'come down' and take daughters of men as wifes.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by afoobabs(m): 9:51am On May 21, 2017
waldigit:

Heavens seems so far in this physical dimension. In the spiritual dimension its a stroll away. The unique thing about man is that he both exist in physical and spiritual. God is a spirit, or a special light being. light emitting entity without heat as member of the spectrum. Man may one day unravelled the misery of relationship be physical and spiritual dimensions. God only defer such understanding at the tower if Babel to allow fulfillment of his plans for mankind. The bible provides a clue of time and space perception in both physical and spiritual realm by saying a day is like a thousand year while a thousand year is like a day to God.
wee u keep quiet who told you God is spirit God is more than spirit he is the creator of spirits no one has seen God so U can't describe Him. may God forgive your ignorance
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sonofluc1fer: 9:51am On May 21, 2017
Dottore:

This is a reasonable response. I must confess, I almost followed a carnal interpretation and became somehow critical of the veracity of the Bible account of that tower but your input made me understand that there must have been an supernatural knowledge being employed by the people of those days. We'll done
undecided undecided lipsrsealed undecided undecided
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by funshint(m): 9:53am On May 21, 2017
Well, we don't really know the type of advanced technology they had back then...but the Bible remains sure and true!
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 9:54am On May 21, 2017
How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible?

Genesis 11:4 to 7. This chapters talk about God not being pleased with the sons of men for wanting to build a tower that would get to heaven. Hence, He caused them to have different languages and casued confusion in their midst.
How realistic is it to build a tower to heaven?
Is heaven up?
Could the tower be as high as the Burj Khalifa?
Could the tower go as high as space ships which shoots up far into the skies?
Don't the world have a common language now?
Has anyone seen heaven today with all the latest technology available?

As a Christian, we sometimes wonder about certain passages in the bible.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sexy74(m): 9:56am On May 21, 2017
chukslawrence:
The Popes seem to be deaf then.
See what cheap data causes, do they have popes then?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mykel25(m): 9:59am On May 21, 2017
sexy74:

Guy borrow sense, when the language changed their would be confusion that will destabilize them first

When Jesus said IT IS FINISHED He was referring to your sense....... Aw does been destabilized initially affect them from been stabilized after days n continue their sins again.... Ur logic is wack I repeat
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by jay2smart19(m): 10:00am On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Genesis 11:4 to 7. This chapters talk about God not being pleased with the sons of men for wanting to build a tower that would get to heaven. Hence, He caused them to have different languages and casued confusion in their midst.
How realistic is it to build a tower to heaven?
Is heaven up?
Could the tower be as high as the Burj Khalifa?
Could the tower go as high as space ships which shoots up far into the skies?
Has anyone seen heaven today with all the latest technology available?

As a Christian, we sometimes wonder about certain passages in the bible.

So many questions to ponder on. The reason for this thread is to get explanations from bible 'scholars'. The floor is open.
you will never understand all there is to life and living. that's y God is God.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Believe7(m): 10:00am On May 21, 2017
thats not true sir..everything said in d bible, are things dat happened in d past..and of course yes there are real..

there are not illusional, imaginary or folks tales..these are even that took place in d past..

sonmvayina:

The best answer so far..
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Etogist: 10:02am On May 21, 2017
Genesis 11:1 -8
"AND THE whole earth was of one language and of one accent and mode of expression.
2And as they journeyed eastward, they found a plain (valley) in the land of Shinar, and they settled and dwelt there.

3And they said one to another, Come, let us make bricks and burn them thoroughly. So they had brick for stone, and slime (bitumen) for mortar.

4And they said, Come, let us build us a city and a tower whose top reaches into the sky, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered over the whole earth.

5And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.

6And the Lord said, Behold, they are one people and they have [a]all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do, and now nothing they have imagined they can do will be impossible for them.

7Come, let Us go down and there confound (mix up, confuse) their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

8So the Lord scattered them abroad from that place upon the face of the whole earth, and they gave up building the city."

God did not mix their language because they want to build a tower that will reach heaven rather God confused their language because of their unity of purpose. They were so united that they can decide to do anything they want even to disobey God. In verse four, they wanted to constrain themselves in one place instead of spreading out like God commanded us to go to the world and multiply. Also if you read verse five carefully you will find out that they have already built the said tower and the city before God came down to mix their language. Read carefully before judging the authenticity of the bible. Shalom.

3 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Akiintom: 10:04am On May 21, 2017
zed7:

Genesis 11:4 to 7.

*this shows that the bible is mere fictional work, that compiled the myths and superstitions of the Jews.

*this also confirms that, the idea of God, is built on falsehoods and childish thinking.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Collins10(m): 10:05am On May 21, 2017
prince9851:
is it David u are calling nigger?
You can imagine his guts!
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Alajiki(m): 10:13am On May 21, 2017
Question:

What is the difference between heaven and paradise?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 10:18am On May 21, 2017
NCANTaskForce:
This is our pastor's son that i'm talking about, The one who spends 600k a night on drinks, Thieves.

Dude will advise you to go learn the principles of tithing first

It's not just about paying 10% of your earnings

When you do, you won't be bothered with what happens to the money

But in your case right now your tithe is as good as useless

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Danimighty7(m): 10:19am On May 21, 2017
Explain the sphinx
Op explain the great pyramid of Giza
Explain the hanging gardens of Babylon
zed7
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by nurusystem(m): 10:25am On May 21, 2017
[/quote] God is scared of the building and he now disorganized their plans, this is confusion and funny.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by EmmyDJourno: 10:26am On May 21, 2017
You are thinking of it in a different way, imagine all humans in that time working like ants in one place, why won't they build it.

Wasting their time on an irrelevant quest, the mixture of language was to make it impossible to deceive mankind all at once again, and to achieve the purpose of spreading mankind round the globe.
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Order Of Egbesu Brotherhood (OEB) Member Performs Rites In A River In Bayelsa / Mad Man And Pastor Involved In Physical Combat During Deliverance / Olumba Olumba Obu Prays Against Biafra Actualization

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.