Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,459 members, 7,836,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? (38215 Views)

Prophet Oladele Genesis Gives Widow Church Offering, Salary / How The Bible Shows That Abortion Is The Murder Of A Living Thing / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by femi4: 12:22pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

This is about Moses and not Sodom
Moses is his friend and he revealed his intention to him
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by dopestkidda(m): 12:24pm On May 21, 2017
Remember...not everything that happened was recorded in the bible....the bible barely scratch the surface of events that took place during the days when the earth was still young....so i dont think there's enough fact for you to pounder on.....so just asume there're some hidden or spiritual event that was kept from scolars then. Pobably for a good reason

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by lequatee(m): 12:25pm On May 21, 2017
fratermathy:
Don't take these things literally. They are allegories. Meant to symbolise something else.

Probably, the act of building a tower symbolises man's endless desire and curiousity. This particular chapter the op asked about deals with the myth behind multilingualism.

The stories in the Bible are mostly like literature. They are meant to be interpreted. It's just sad that many Christians take them literally.

I finally find someone who reasons like me. people just have very funny minds. Heavens as used in that" story" doesn't even mean the purported heaven "where God stays" as we have learnt. It only showed they were determined in unison to make a name for themselves symbolized as a very high tower which must have been a rather impossible task at the time of their existence.

#my 2kobo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by amnesty7: 12:27pm On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Genesis 11:4 to 7. This chapters talk about God not being pleased with the sons of men for wanting to build a tower that would get to heaven. Hence, He caused them to have different languages and casued confusion in their midst.
How realistic is it to build a tower to heaven?
Is heaven up?
Could the tower be as high as the Burj Khalifa?
Could the tower go as high as space ships which shoots up far into the skies?
Don't the world have a common language now?
Has anyone seen heaven today with all the latest technology available?

As a Christian, we sometimes wonder about certain passages in the bible.

So many questions to ponder on. The reason for this thread is to get explanations from bible 'scholars'. The floor is open.
A valid question brother. In Islam, we are taught to see the diversity of languages and races in the world as a sign of God's absolute Omnipotence. Now compare the above verse with Qur'an 30:22 and see:
"And among His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colors. Verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge."

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by lequatee(m): 12:28pm On May 21, 2017
ITbomb:
It is called figurative expression.
The passage means building it to reach the skies ie to reach the clouds .

Even buildings today are doing that, in places of high humidity, you can touch the cloud floating pass the high raise building

Another sensible human spotted. That makes us 3 people.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deicide: 12:36pm On May 21, 2017
femi4:
Moses is his friend and he revealed his intention to him
Ah so yahweh was an Alien?

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by femi4: 12:38pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

Ah so yahweh was an Alien?
you are not communicating
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deicide: 12:39pm On May 21, 2017
femi4:
you are not communicating
You are not understanding grin
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by twosquare(m): 12:42pm On May 21, 2017
Well, people have shortsightedness...especially when you are looking at things with the eyes of the flesh and you lack the understanding to see beyond letters. Those men were knowledgeable, and the guy who led them was not an ordinary fellow. His name was Nimrod, and these guys worship idols backed by potent evil spirits. What God did was because He loved man because the spirit that brought them together to build a tower that will reach heaven was satan, he wanted to bring the world governance before its time.

Believe it or not, they knew secrets and have knowledge we do not possess with all our tech. So, when you read that they wanted to build a tower that will reach heaven and make a name--that was not an ordinary feat; it will take ancient wisdom/insight to achieve that, and they would have done so. They wanted to build a city and a tower whose top will reach the heavens. This is a tower which can serve as a portal, with dangerous star alignments that can project men into the heavens but then, it is bringing unchecked demonic access to earth. It is not necessarily that they wanted to build a skyscraper, nah, that thing had a spiritual undertone to it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Leiman100(m): 12:51pm On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Genesis 11:4 to 7. This chapters talk about God not being pleased with the sons of men for wanting to build a tower that would get to heaven. Hence, He caused them to have different languages and casued confusion in their midst.
Is heaven up?

So many questions to ponder on. The reason for this thread is to get explanations from bible 'scholars'. The floor is open.
don't expect any reasonable explanation, the bible is replete with so many contradictions incoherence and inconsistences this has drives quite a number of intelligent believers into atheism and other religions
(Ask me proof)

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 21, 2017
What if the Tower of Babel was a metaphor? The Bible has many of them. Many are taken literarily
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Iamdmentor1(m): 1:03pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:
Yahweh has a bad temper he needs mortal to calm him down

He is a God of consuming fire. You would be dead for what you just posted had Jesus Christ not come to earth to die for us. Jesus is the one who keeps advocating for us that's why there's grace and not immediate judgement.

Moses advocated for the children of Israel, and God listened. Now Jesus is advocating for us. But you should be careful, that you wouldn't die before accepting Jesus Christ. Tomorrow might be late!

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Leiman100(m): 1:06pm On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

So that's how they built a rock tower that almost reached heaven.

God had every right to be scared. Over-familiarity brings contempt.

Edit: the Bible is fiction. Nothing concern black man concern Abraham and im ppl.

2nd Edit: Guys, I was being sacarstic. embarassed

3rd Edit.: Going to become a pastor. Mumu plenty for this country.. Smartphones and really dumb people.
I wanted to take you seriously from the beggining until you start listing the "once upon a time" tales from the bible that makes the bible horrible and incredible like the story of Samson and Saul you just raised. Even if the philistine are the laziest people ever created there is no way 20 men among them cannot suffocate him to death. These thingss doesn't happen in real life you find them in films like "RAMBO"
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Jamiubond009(m): 1:09pm On May 21, 2017
unitysheart:

Men of that time were near perfect. Don't also forget that the demons we have now were once angels and when they started frolicking with men on earth they tried as much as they could to help Satan actualize his original plan of showing that men could be perfect. Even with English being the official language of many nations today, you still can't throw away ethnicity, which is one thing that the event of Nimrod's time brought about.
which makes me wonder if Satan was a bad guy after all. Because his intention may have been make man's eyes to open and see the vast knowledge he possesses. Because the more advanced we become, the less dependent we are on gods and religion . you can Google sumerian tablets and how the concept of Jesus came to be.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deicide: 1:15pm On May 21, 2017
Iamdmentor1:

He is a God of consuming fire. You would be dead for what you just posted had Jesus Christ not come to earth to die for us. Jesus is the one who keeps advocating for us that's why there's grace and not immediate judgment.
This explains why Yahweh also loves suya
https://www.nairaland.com/2619198/suya-loving-god-bible

Moses advocated for the children of Israel, and God listened. Now Jesus is advocating for us. But you should be careful, that you wouldn't die before accepting Jesus Christ. Tomorrow might be late!
Maybe you should, first of all, prove that "Jesus christ" existed historically then I might decide to consider your offer wink
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by realmindz: 1:20pm On May 21, 2017
malvisguy212:
when God created man, He command man to be fruitful and multiply the earth. alright, instead of multiplying the earth, the people are planing to settled down in one place :

Genesis 11 read;
"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, LEST WE BE SCATTERED ABROAD UPON THE FACE OF THE WHOLE EARTH. And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builde"

clearly written, they were not plaining to multiply the earth, Instead the were plaining to settle down In one place. and also, the people say, " let us make name for ourselves" is this not pride and boastfulness ? so God bring them on there knell.

grin grin dude are you for real!!!!
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sonofluc1fer: 1:26pm On May 21, 2017
lovelygurl:

grin cheesy
Wetin? Holy Spirit no fit talk to person again? grin

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Pins(m): 1:27pm On May 21, 2017
zed7:

Doesn't answer the questions one bit. How can prehistoric people build a tower to get to heaven? Building manually for that matter. Is heaven up? Most importantly, God scattered their plans by causing confusion in their midst because He didn't want them to achieve their aim. Read verse 6 "And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."
It seems God actually said they could achieve their aim, so He scattered them. How possible is it to build a tower to heaven? Prehistoric men for that matter. Is heaven up? How come we don't see it when we fly in the plane. Lalasticlala, please push this to the front page. Let's hear from gurus.
Men performed more exploits then than now. Prehistoric people you say
1) how many of your modern day people have divided a lake talk more a sea.
2) how many of your modern day people have called down fire from heaven.
3) how many of your modern day people have lived up to 200 years.
4) how many of your modern day people have killed a lion with their bare hands and many other numerous fits that great men in biblical times performed.
You don't interpret the Bible literally you need the holy spirit to guide you in interpreting his word because he inspired it so men were much more advanced then than now. And remember the Angels had already come and thought mankind certain things before then.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Bonimoney(m): 1:48pm On May 21, 2017
The Bible says the ways of the lord is different from the ways of men. I require a genius to answer me this question. when you fly to the outer space and you see the planet and other layers beyound, why is it that no matter how you fly, it seem you can never reach the end? point me a scientist who have flown beyound the outer space and i'll back out with my claims. to those who says there is no God, i wanna believe you are saying that out of ignorance. that God has given us( mortals) wisdom to creat things and make things easier shouldn't garantee us to thing beyound. I'll retrieve my claim the moment any scientist creat human being with flesh and blood born the way we are. there are gods among men yet non has ever created life. Jesus mud a bird and breathe into yet and it become a life bird.

We see in the Bible of a man who live 999 years, can it happen in this present generation?

who has called fire just like Elijah did?

who has gone into the sky without plane but we a cloud.
for my people suffer for lack of knowledge.

ANY BODY WHO SAYS THERE IS NO GOD, THAT PERSON SHOULD BECOME INMORTAL AND NEVER DIE AGAIN. DO NOT PUT GOD INTO TEST........

god shows his example as a pastor put God into test and tries to walk on water like christ we all knows his climax.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by salveoP(m): 1:57pm On May 21, 2017
ITbomb:
It is called figurative expression.
The passage means building it to reach the skies ie to reach the clouds .

Even buildings today are doing that, in places of high humidity, you can touch the cloud floating pass the high raise building
. U are so right on point. Some persons read the bible thinking everything therein should be taken literally. Some expressions in the bible are very figurative and thus have symbolic meanings. Imagine interpreting the book of Revelation literally... the wild beasts, the horse men, the great dragon, the creature with seven heads e.t.c . All those have symbolic meanings.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by thinkmoney(m): 1:59pm On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

Edit: the Bible is fiction. Nothing concern black man concern Abraham and im ppl.

3rd Edit.: Going to become a pastor. Mumu plenty for this country.. Smartphones and really dumb people.
My brother with this your explanation, I suspect you are causing more harm than good. You have unwittingly I like to think misinterpret the Bible. Remember the bible warns against zeal without accurate knowledge.
Admitted, those people where better intellectually, physically and health wise. This is because they were nearer to the time of the paradise. Since the paradise, everything on earth including human has been going through steady decline.
Those instances of great deeds that you mentioned happened mostly as a result of supernatural intervention. They where miracles.
Now, God destroyed the Tower because of this reasons:
1. They intend to live in and around the tower. This was a clear disregard of one of the first command God gave to mankind-become fruitful and fill the earth.
2. The Bible described their leader Nimrod, as a hunter in opposition to God. This suggest he wasn't a Man agreeable to God. His program and project definitely wasn't inline with Gods loving agenda.
3. This events happened shortly after the rebellious angels came down and interbred with some human and after the flood that came to correct this abnormally.Hence There are hints base on the knowledge of the bible and history that this people built this tower with the hope of surviving another deluge and possibly communicating with the angels they believe are somewhere above the earth. This their intension as many other was a disregard God provisions and ways.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by DLuciano: 3:38pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:
Yahweh has a bad temper he needs mortal to calm him down
don't you fear the Almighty God your Maker ?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deicide: 3:41pm On May 21, 2017
DLuciano:
don't you fear the Almighty God your Maker ?

Yahweh is not my maker na ever heard about reproduction b4?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Iamdmentor1(m): 3:42pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

This explains why Yahweh also loves suya
https://www.nairaland.com/2619198/suya-loving-god-bible

Maybe you should, first of all, prove that "Jesus christ" existed historically then I might decide to consider your offer wink

It's for your own good. John 1:12, as many as received him, to them gave he power to become sons of God even to them that believe on his name. It's a thing of faith.

If you die, having rejected the Word, you'd cry "had I known" at the end.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deicide: 3:49pm On May 21, 2017
Iamdmentor1:

It's for your own good. John 1:12, as many as received him, to them gave he power to become sons of God even to them that believe on his name. It's a thing of faith.

If you die, having rejected the Word, you'd cry "had I known" at the end.
Guy please i would rather go to muslim heaven where i would get 72virgins free and more importantly my freedom than to go to christian heaven were ill die of bordom of praise and worship

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by DLuciano: 3:55pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

Yahweh is not my maker na ever heard about reproduction b4?
who created the male and female?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deicide: 3:59pm On May 21, 2017
DLuciano:
who created the male and female?
ever heard about abiogenesis b4? i think you shoud pay more attention to ur science class or are you an art student?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by DavidEsq(m): 4:20pm On May 21, 2017
chukslawrence:

The Popes seem to be deaf then.
Huh?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Jetjacky(m): 4:24pm On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Is heaven up?

how are you certain that those who claim there is space, actually do go to space. Do your research, Google proofs of flat earth, Google proofs of spherical Earth, Google Nasa lies, and Google more.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Mouthgag: 4:28pm On May 21, 2017
[s]
bkool7:
God became angry with the inhabitants of Babel
for the following reasons:

1. They were being disobedient by settling,
when God clearly commanded to “Be fruitful
and multiply, and fill the earth” (Genesis 9:7)
. God does not tolerate disobedience, and
this is exactly what the inhabitants of Babel
were doing.

2. They were being prideful, which is a wicked
sin. The text clearly reveals the state of mind
of these people “Let us make a name for
ourselves.” They were bent on pride, and so
consumed by it that they wanted to create a
monumental skyscraper to “show off” just
how good they were.

3. Idolatry. While this passage does not go into
great detail concerning the idolatrous
practices of the Babylonians, the fact that
they wanted to ignore God and make a name
for themselves reveals that they were already
committing idolatry by worshipping “self."

Some commentators have suggested that
they would have worshipped pagan gods of
the stars and moon as well.
God does not get upset because He suspects the
people of Babel will actually build a tower in to
the heavens (the abode of God). In fact, this is
only an expression they uttered meaning
that the building would be a very tall building.
The word “heavens” in the Bible can refer to the
sky, outer space, or the abode of God.
What made God upset is that they are not filling
the Earth, were being prideful, and they were
committing idolatry.
God knew that they could do much evil working
collectively. This is why He utters, “Behold, they
are one people, and have one language, and this
is only the beginning of what they will do. And
nothing they propose to do will now be
impossible for them” (Genesis 11:6).
After this, God confounds their languages, which
is why we now have so many today. What’s
interesting to note is this: When people all had
one language, they achieved incredible things
very quickly–even the potential to create a
building that “reached into the heavens,” all
without today’s technology or machinery. But
after God changed their language, it greatly
diminished their productivity and abilities.
What about today’s time? We live in an age where
we now have translators and software that can
allow for rapid communication with people of
other languages. Language is not as much of a
barrier as it used to be, and we are witnessing
incredible feats in human history. We have
decoded the human genome, made huge
discoveries in science, engineering, technology,
and more.
What God knew was happening in the time of
Babel is once again happening today. As the
speech barrier is broken down, man is rising up.
God’s words of “And nothing that they propose to
do will be impossible for them” is starting to
once again come true, as in the time of Babel.
That is why wickedness is increasing at such a
fast pace. Not only are we accomplishing more,
but we too are trying to “make a name for
ourselves.” We are trying to worship man instead
of God.
Are you ready for the return of Christ? If you died
today, are you 100% sure that you’d be saved
from God’s judgment? If not, please accept Christ
as your savior today. Pray a prayer to God asking
for the forgiveness of yours sins, and put your
trust and faith in the risen Christ.

revelation.co/2009/01/05/why-did-god-get-angry-at-the-tower-of-babel-people/
[/s]
You must be hypocritically sick in the head.
How does this nonsense you typed answered op's questions?
Deluded fellow
Keep living in lies and denial.
Fake word of God(Bible)
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Mouthgag: 4:31pm On May 21, 2017
[s]
sonofluc1fer:

[/s]
Wow!
God had every right to be scared shocked shocked shocked
IT IS FINISHED!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is MMM A Sin? / Olumba Olumba Obu Prays Against Biafra Actualization / Answer This Sunday School Question My People. (see Question)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.