Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Naira Once Accepted In UK, Saudi But Now Rejected In Benin Republic — EX-CBN DEP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Once Accepted In UK, Saudi But Now Rejected In Benin Republic — EX-CBN DEP (592 Views)

$2b Bank Fraud: FG Probes 2 Serving Ministers, Ex-cbn Gov / APC Rejected In The South East As PMB Enugu Campaign Rally Flops / 2019: EU, US, UK & Saudi Arabia Ask Buhari Not To Contest; APC Considers Kingibe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Once Accepted In UK, Saudi But Now Rejected In Benin Republic — EX-CBN DEP by ifyan(m): 9:35am On May 23, 2017
ABUJA—Former Deputy Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Obadiah Mailafia, has said the naira, which was accepted in London and Saudi Arabia years ago, was not even now accepted in Benin Republic anymore. In an interview with NAN in Abuja yesterday, Mailafia advised Nigerians against dollarisation of the naira.

Dollarisation is a situation where a country, either officially or unofficially, uses the dollar as its legal tender for conducting transactions, alongside its local currency. He said that dollarisation or using the dollar alongside the naira as legal tender for commercial transactions was illegal and unlawful.

Bunmi Azeez “In the 70s, Nigerians were spending naira in London. It was accepted. In fact, our Muslim brothers used to go to Mecca and Medina that time and they could spend and buy goods with naira,” he said “The situation has changed that even in Benin Republic, they don’t accept naira. If we use other countries’ currencies, it means we don’t value our currency and the value will go down.

Mailafia expressed dissatisfaction over the manner in which some government agencies quote projects in dollars, saying “it is illegal to do so. “Any country that dollarises its economy becomes banana republic of no value or dignity. We need to build a great economy for a country that has honour and dignity in the comity of nations.

“We should also strengthen the naira, give it value; the monetary authority should give it respect to gain the trust of the people of this country

Read more@http://www.nairausd.com/2017/05/naira-once-accepted-in-uk-saudi-but-now.html

Re: Naira Once Accepted In UK, Saudi But Now Rejected In Benin Republic — EX-CBN DEP by Xhaka100(m): 9:39am On May 23, 2017
FTC,
Buhari see ur life.
Re: Naira Once Accepted In UK, Saudi But Now Rejected In Benin Republic — EX-CBN DEP by SalamRushdie: 9:40am On May 23, 2017
Blame Buhari because during Jonathan I could spend Naira in Benin and Accra but during my last trip 90 percent of the Bureau the change in Ghana refused to convert my naira to cedis till I found an EcoBank ATM that accepted my GT card and dispensed Cedis at wicked rates of exchange which changed every time I went back

1 Like

Re: Naira Once Accepted In UK, Saudi But Now Rejected In Benin Republic — EX-CBN DEP by ifyan(m): 10:39am On May 23, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Blame Buhari because during Jonathan I could spend Naira in Benin and Accra but during my last trip 90 percent of the Bureau the change in Ghana refused to convert my naira to cedis till I found an EcoBank ATM that accepted my GT card and dispensed Cedis at wicked rates of exchange which changed every time I went back

Hmm if Bubu supporters hear this, just prepare yourself for unforeseen circumstances.

1 Like

Re: Naira Once Accepted In UK, Saudi But Now Rejected In Benin Republic — EX-CBN DEP by Victornezzar: 10:54am On May 23, 2017
Absolutely Buhari nd his apc members were not prepared 4 power.....dey just wanted it....nothing 2 show it......Sometimes I imagine weda dey are ashamed of dem selves nd d 1 dat baffles me d most are d zombies who would come here nd start supporting him...

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Gov. Dickson Visits NNPC MD, Baru / Five Arrested Over Planned Multiple Bank Robberies In Ikorodu / Ebonyi State Governorship Election 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.