Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time (8970 Views)

What Are The Bad Fuel Filter Symptoms? / New Items Alert.. Mobil 1 Oil ...prestone Coolant.... Fram Oil Filter / Mechanic Creates 2-faced Car That Can Be Driven Forward & Back At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by doe: 7:50am On May 28, 2017
You do not need to change the fuel filter at every service. Every 2 years or wait for it to break.

Your service interval is ridiculously short. Or are you running inter city transport? 10000-16000km seem more realistic or 12 months whichever comes first.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by kingreign(m): 7:56am On May 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You can never void your warranty by not going to a dealership.
and undoing your pumps tampering with things upandan?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by ndcide(m): 8:03am On May 28, 2017
bee4un:
Please folks, i need an urgent help here. My mechanic says i must change fuel filter anytime am servicing my vehicle (oil change). This is a brand new vehicle (tear rubber). It was bought 2015. I have done this for over 1 year now (changing oil filter and fuel filter every 3000km not miles).

Please help a brother out.

Plz clarify you didn't mean oil filter.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by NosaHenry(m): 8:07am On May 28, 2017
I presume your mechanic meant OIL FILTER and not fuel filter. Yes you need to change oil filter at every service.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by effido666: 8:14am On May 28, 2017
bee4un:

Thanks. I will have to stop changing my fuel filter then.
and besides ur carry com filter has been changed nd u are now using d fake filter
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by aieromon(m): 8:19am On May 28, 2017
Allowing a Kazeem to handle a 2015 model car is a disaster waiting to happen.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by ollyruffy: 8:26am On May 28, 2017
There is a reason why replacement of fuel filters are not mentioned in your maintenance manual. It was deliberate and not a mistake by Toyota.

This is due to advancement in the fuel filtering technology of new cars. You can read more on this.

If you do not deliberately pour mud into your tank, and you avoid running your vehicle on reserved tank level, you do not need to replace fuel filter on a 2015 rav4.

The advice at this point is to confirm if truly the mechanic has replaced your oem Fuel filter as he claimed. If he had, please buy a new oem by yourself and ensure it is used to change out that sub standard filter that mechanic could have installed. This is because most of these mechanic will never buy oem part when you give them money to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Olushauneddy(m): 8:26am On May 28, 2017
A car fuel filter last not until d car starts to jerk, provided d spark plugs & injector nozzles are in gud conditn
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Olushauneddy(m): 8:36am On May 28, 2017
doe:
You do not need to change the fuel filter at every service. Every 2 years or wait for it to break.

Your service interval is ridiculously short. Or are you running inter city transport? 10000-16000km seem more realistic or 12 months whichever comes first.
.........Haba ! 10000-16000 km will wear ur engine. 5000km is d appropriate reading. I service mine every 3000km
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Godfullsam(m): 8:40am On May 28, 2017
FlyboyZee:
You are the cause of your dilemma. Next time, READ! READ!! READ!!! your owner's manual. It was put in there to help you solve issues like this, without being fleeced.

If you bought the car brand new like you stated up there, then sorry to say, you have been fooling yourself all this while...

The manual combined with symbols or codes displayed on the instrument cluster will instruct you on what to do exactly. So you don't need no mecho telling you otherwise...

My advice for you is: READ! READ!! & READ!!!

Do u know you av not answered the question the OP asked?

Some people sef

1 Like

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by oseiwe(m): 8:47am On May 28, 2017
bee4un:

Thanks. I will have to stop changing my fuel filter then.
count the number of times that you have changed it, tell the mechanic to pay you back.

1 Like

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Nobody: 8:48am On May 28, 2017
kingreign:
and undoing your pumps tampering with things upandan?

It may void the warranty ONLY on the specific part and after they prove it factually that it is a defective part that caused the damage.

Once I purchase my cars, they never see the inside of a dealership unless for a factory recall.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Nobody: 9:02am On May 28, 2017
okay.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by EvilMetahuman: 9:17am On May 28, 2017
Rich guy
The mechanic don see maga.

Like changing oil every 3000km is not bad enough in the 21st century where oil technology has improved greatly, now you change fuel filter too?

What kind of petrol do you put in your vehicle that requires changing fuel filter every 3000km? Do mix mud with the fuel or something?
lol

What next? Start changing spark plugs every 1000km?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by peterbello(m): 9:58am On May 28, 2017
bee4un:
Please folks, i need an urgent help here. My mechanic says i must change fuel filter anytime am servicing my vehicle (oil change). This is a brand new vehicle (tear rubber). It was bought 2015. I have done this for over 1 year now (changing oil filter and fuel filter every 3000km not miles).

Fuel filter kwa. Do you throw the old one away or leave it with the mechanic to dispose it? Am just imagining someone out there becoming a fuel filter dealer overnight.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by shady16: 10:42am On May 28, 2017
bee4un:

Continue changing it.... grin
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Iamzik: 11:04am On May 28, 2017
Op do you mean engine oil filter or fuel(petrol) filter? Most comments I see here are talking about fuel filter.

BTW I also change my engine oil filter when I change the Oil like twice a year.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by nurey(m): 11:38am On May 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

How can changing fuel filter damage fuel pump?

Fuel filter doesn't damage the fuel pump, but with his explanation the mechanic doesn't know his right from left, that's what's going to cause the damage
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by FlyboyZee: 1:54pm On May 28, 2017
Olushauneddy:
.........Haba ! 10000-16000 km will wear ur engine. 5000km is d appropriate reading. I service mine every 3000km
I service my car once every year or at 10,000km using full synthetic 5w20 engine oil and Denso OEM oil filter. I follow the instructions from the service manual strictly to arrive at this. I only change oil filter after the second oil change, i. e. at 20,000km. The car is a 2010 Honda Civic...

I wonder where you guys got this your 3,000km or monthly/bimonthly service interval idea from?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by FlyboyZee: 2:03pm On May 28, 2017
Godfullsam:

Do u know you av not answered the question the OP asked?

Some people sef
Did you answer his/her question too, Mr. Jury and Judge?

If he had read his service manual and kept to its instructions, he would have known that he/she has no business changing fuel filter for a 2015 model year car. The OP would have also known that Toyota did not instruct that the car be serviced every 3,000km. And you too, would not be here acting jury, abi na examiner sef on top my head.

1 Like

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by disloman(m): 2:18pm On May 28, 2017
FlyboyZee:

I service my car once every year or at 10,000km using full synthetic 5w20 engine oil and Denso OEM oil filter. I follow the instructions from the service manual strictly to arrive at this. I only change oil filter after the second oil change, i. e. at 20,000km. The car is a 2010 Honda Civic...

I wonder where you guys got this your 3,000km or monthly/bimonthly service interval idea from?
JESU
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by doe: 2:37pm On May 28, 2017
Olushauneddy:

At 3000km you are wasting your money. So long as you are using the right oil for age and weather you can run to 10000+km or 12 months before service is due.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by doe: 2:52pm On May 28, 2017
disloman:
JESU
it's the usual drivel spilled by our semi literate mechs. It's all an avenue to milk those that are gullible.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by FlyboyZee: 3:16pm On May 28, 2017
disloman:
JESU
KRISTI

1 Like

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Santa2: 3:16pm On May 28, 2017
Servicing a rav 4 (oil filter) at 3000km is at total waste of funds. Dealership recommends 5k, and depending on your usage you can even do it at 10,000km using high grade oil and OEM filter). As has been iterated before changing your fuel filter is a no no that frequently.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by FlyboyZee: 3:26pm On May 28, 2017
FlyboyZee:

Moreover, I don't even use odometer readings to gauge my service intervals since the car has a countdown system which starts reading from 100% down to 0%, with a warning coming on from 15% for you to get ready for servicing or to service as at when due. After which, you reset the maintenance/service reminder back to 100% and the countdown starts all over again. But, I have noticed that it is usually around the 10,000km mark when it gets towards 0%.

OP, if your car was bought mint in 2015 as you claimed...
why are you servicing at 3,000km?
What oil and filter are you using?
Doesn't your car have a maintenance required reminder system?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by kolaaderin: 4:14pm On May 28, 2017
Your mechanic is a serial Thief, firstly your oil change interval is too low, at least 5000 miles (8000km) is recommended for regular oil and 10,000 miles (16,000 km) for a fully synthetic oil the Fuel filter should be nothing less than 100,000 miles (160,000 km) that is if your fuel is 50:50 ratio to saw dust.

here is a link. GOOGLE KNOWS IT ALL, you dont need to have a manual.

http://www.wow-toyota.com/toyota-rav4-recommended-maintenance.htm
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by ndidibabe(f): 5:02pm On May 28, 2017
nurey:

Even me that my car is 17years old with 300,000km on the odometer I service my car every 6months or 8km which ever comes first, you are wasting money servicing your car at 3000km and polluting the environment.

As for the fuel filter because of our environment I did say every 2 years is OK but if you never run your tank in reserve it's something you can ignore. With the mechanics lackadaisical approach he can damage your fuel pump.
What kind of car is this pls?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bravolad(m): 5:57pm On May 28, 2017
It might also be that this mechanic has been using 20w-50 to service that car. Because if the owner has been buying the right oil which l suppose should be 0w-20, he would have realised it long ago.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Getting An International Driving Licence In Nigeria / 2004-2005 Nissan Maxima; Why Is There So Many Neat Ones For Sale? / How To Avoid Battery Explosions (Yes, They Really Happen)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.