Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions (18925 Views)

FG Orders Closure Of Four Foreign Missions / FG Gazettes IPOB Ban, To Write Banks, Embassies, Foreign Missions / Breaking News: IPOB Has Informed All Foreign Missions In Lagos Of Proposed Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by olokeded: 5:54pm On May 25, 2017
The Federal Government has approved the closure of five foreign missions and embassies, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama said.

Onyeama told newsmen in Abuja on Thursday, but he did not name the affected embassies or missions, but said the process for closure was underway and was also subject to the approval of the president.

“We do not want to indicate the embassies that will be closed yet because we are in the process of submitting the proposals, the cost analysis and also the political analysis we did to the president.

“When he sees that, he may or may not want to close some, so we have not yet reached the stage of closing some,” he said.

The minister also reiterated that the closing missions abroad were “extremely expensive”.

“The expense, costs of closing embassies is so high and prohibitive but in the long run it will more economical.”

The minister, on April 10, told NAN the closure of Nigerian missions abroad is inevitable.

He admitted that it is expensive to close a country’s embassy but quickly added that in the long run the
policy will be beneficial to Nigerians.

Onyeama stressed that the reduction of Nigeria’s foreign missions remains on the agenda of the Muhammadu Buhari administration.

Buhari had said at the inception of his administration that the Federal Government will reduce the number of missions to save cost.

Nigeria currently has 119 foreign missions.

Onyeama said: “The government is following up on that and we have sort of pre­pared the roadmap; we have started the implementation of that and made also recom­mendations in that context.

“Paradoxically, closing missions is extremely expensive. At first sight it seems ob­vious that you close it you are saving cost but you will actually find that the cost of closing is almost prohibitive.

“But in the long run it will be cheaper, but in the imme­diate and short term it is ex­pensive but we have started the process,” he said.(NAN)

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/05/nigeria-closes-5-foreign-missions.html
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by DjHypno(m): 8:36pm On May 25, 2017
I think this is a good decision at this point of time. No unnecessary spending on stuffs that aren't that vital. There's a lot of more ministries that needs to be scrapped. God bless Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Tazdroid(m): 8:36pm On May 25, 2017
Some money leakages blocked.

I hope it stays permanent.

I haven't seen the actual benefits they've brought to the country

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 25, 2017
grin grin grin grin

E Ku recession ooo...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by daamazing(m): 8:37pm On May 25, 2017
They shuu do and close buhari's office too.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by mikeycharles(m): 8:37pm On May 25, 2017
So we still have minister of foreign affairs, after all the xenophobic attacks. At least the minister of finance is very hard working and that's all we need for now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Mandesz(m): 8:37pm On May 25, 2017
I'm here to check if that of republic of Biafra is included

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by obowunmi(m): 8:37pm On May 25, 2017
they couldn't afford to pay staff anyway

and more importantly,

most of those staff were USELESS.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Flexherbal(m): 8:38pm On May 25, 2017
Is this to the good of Nigerians!
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by brianscott: 8:38pm On May 25, 2017
Change

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by three: 8:38pm On May 25, 2017
It would make sense if we were actually broke.

Bad policy manifests 'badly'

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by pauljumbo: 8:38pm On May 25, 2017
when will they close efcc and dss
Nigeria is just wasting money on this 2 agencies without any result to show for it

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Alisegun(m): 8:38pm On May 25, 2017

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by snowland(m): 8:39pm On May 25, 2017
mikeycharles:
G
Is it G for Goat?
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by AroOkigbo(m): 8:39pm On May 25, 2017
The recession in this fvcking country is real.
But the sun shall rise again.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by begwong: 8:40pm On May 25, 2017
The embassies are;NIGER, LIBYA, CORSICA, SUDAN and... I forgot the last but not the least!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by oshe11: 8:40pm On May 25, 2017
The Embassies wen dey house Foreigners?

Close em ALL
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by ekensi01: 8:41pm On May 25, 2017

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Pavore9: 8:41pm On May 25, 2017
Most of those foreign missions are not even serving the interests of Nigerians. Some of their officials​ will boldly ask you if na dem carry you come the country! angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by mikeycharles(m): 8:41pm On May 25, 2017
snowland:
Is it G for Goat?
no, it's for groundnut undecided
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by kahara(m): 8:41pm On May 25, 2017
Biafra Republic is opening her own missions around the world and Nigeria is contemplating closing hers. Rat shit! Lozte!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by FLYFIRE(m): 8:42pm On May 25, 2017
obowunmi:
they couldn't afford to pay staff anyway
and more importantly,
most of those staff were USELESS.
Would you say this if you had someone working in any of these places?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by fergie001: 8:47pm On May 25, 2017
Mandesz:
I'm here to check if that of republic of Biafra is included
U wan see trouble abi?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by fergie001: 8:48pm On May 25, 2017
[code][/code]
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by NaijaMutant(f): 8:53pm On May 25, 2017
Nigeria is dying gradually before our very eyes. But my hope is that the SUN is Rising

Biafra my dream

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Harrynight(m): 8:58pm On May 25, 2017
And wen will they realized that 5 ministries in naija also need to b scrapped or merged ? [i][/i][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by julioralph(m): 8:58pm On May 25, 2017
Pavore9:
Most of those foreign missions are not even serving the interests of Nigerians. Some of their officials​ will boldly ask you if na dem carry come the country! angry
Pavore cheesy
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by obowunmi(m): 8:59pm On May 25, 2017
FLYFIRE:

Would you say this if you had someone working in any of these places?

you've never been to an embassy. bruuuuuuuhh..... . angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by NaijaMutant(f): 9:01pm On May 25, 2017
yes
Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by kikake: 9:02pm On May 25, 2017
DjHypno:
I think this is a good decision at this point of time. No unnecessary spending on stuffs that aren't that vital. There's a lot of more ministries that needs to be scrapped. God bless Nigeria.

Consolations.

It is sign of a shrinking Nigeria.

Even smaller countries open up more embassies - not closing.

Boko has caused huge capital flight/loss from/for Nigeria in the last 8 years of Boko operation.

Those who run Nigeria will not tell you the truth about how Nigeria is getting poorer, despite oil revenues.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions by Pavore9: 9:03pm On May 25, 2017
julioralph:

Pavore cheesy

Most of them get bad mouth!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vice President Osinbajo Arrives Yola (Photos) / Buhari: I Will Sign ‘Not Too Young To Run’ Bill In Few Days / Details Of Ruling That Set Free Al-mustapha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.