Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study (23690 Views)

Things To Consider Before Choosing A Career / Self-improvement : 10 Questions You Should Ask To Yourself / What Employment Opportunities Does Anatomy As A Course Have To Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by youngstarlit(m): 1:09pm On May 28, 2017
Many undergraduates and graduates are regretting due to their choice of course today. They have failed to consider some essential facts while choosing a field of study. This is usually due to influence by parents, friends and family members. As this decision is a sensitive one that determines the future of a man, I have decided to write this article today so that you will not make a decision with a regretful end.
If you are at the point of choosing a field of study, the following are the questions you should ask yourself.

1. DO I HAVE PASSION FOR THIS COURSE?

The word "PASSION" is irresistible and should never be underestimated. Choosing a course without desire often lead to regret. If you have passion for computer and internet and hate biology, it will be best to go for Computer science or engineering. Don't be influenced by other people's decision to go for Biology-ralated course like medicine and surgery when you don't like biology. If you like chemistry, then you shod choose it's related courses like Pharmacy, Biochemistry Chemical engineering e.t.c. Passion for a course should be considered first because:

-Course you have passion for are usually easier to study
-Courses you don't have passion for are usually harder

2. AM I CAPABLE TO STUDENTS THIS COURSE?
Your ability is best known to you. Consider an average or below average student choosing Medicine and Surgery. What happens? It will be difficult for such a person to cope with the course requirement which eventually leads to failure. So, consider your ability, how much you can read, your retentive capability before choosing a course.

3. HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO STUDENTS THIS COURSE?
"Money" is another important thing to consider while choosing a course. Consider the standard of living of your parents or your sponsor. Courses that involves more practical and expensive such as Anatomy, Medicine, Animal-related Courses should not be chosen by someone with a low standard of living. It will affect you during your period of study.

4. WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS COURSE IN THE ECONOMY?
I'll break this question down into two parts:
A. Is employment readily or rarely available?
B. How much will I get paid after getting a job?

A. Hot cake Courses like medicine, pharmacy, law, chemical engineering, computer engineering, Mass communication, civil engineer, nursing e.t.c have high demand in the Labour market while Courses like religious study, music, zoology, sports, sociology and geography are not marketable. So, choose Courses that are in high demand in labour market.
B. Everybody wants to earn some cool cash. Nobody wants to graduate and start earning #20,000-30,000 yearly. While some courses pays greatly, others are manageable. Everybody wants to earn hundreds of thousands yearly. Hot cake Courses mentioned above can fetch you such cash. So, choose a course that pays so you won't regret in life. However, geographical location should also be considered because a course which pays in Nigeria may not pay in USA.

I believe if you can consider the questions above, you will make the best decision in choosing a course for study.

Source: http://classicinfospot..com/2017/05/Guide-to-choose-the-right-course.html

5 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Kagarko(m): 2:16pm On May 28, 2017
OP thanks a lot for the information and counselling.

Hope Seun and Lalastica will do the needful by moving it to the Front page.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Classicinfospot(m): 10:08am On May 29, 2017
Thanks.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by SEEDORF441(m): 3:35pm On May 29, 2017
Incase it reach front page
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Classicinfospot(m): 4:41pm On May 30, 2017
I also hope so
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Classicinfospot(m): 5:06pm On Jun 09, 2017
CC: Seun CC: Lalasticlala
It didn't reach front page. Is it not unique enough?
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by NwaAmaikpe: 6:38pm On Jun 09, 2017
angry
Nowadays, the only question Naija students ask is...

Can I bribe the lecturers handling my courses?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by dapyd1(m): 6:39pm On Jun 09, 2017
I think the first and major question to ask is PASSION

Am I passionate enough to build a career in this course?

For that, we need to go back to our secondary school.

The method of putting people in classes based on their performance is wrong, outdated and very biased.
The best students go to Science, the rest are divided into art/commercial. What kind of method is that? That's how I wen to science class one of my very few regrets.

Schools need to device a curriculum that gets the best out of students. That's how advanced countries get it done. That way, we put square pegs in square holes.

There is no course you cannot build a career in. NONE.

If that is the course you want, and you are ready to pursue it with passion, you will make it.

I know a YORUBA professor, who is a translator/consultant for the UN. The man is in money, a lot of it. Is YORUBA an economically viable course according to most people's standards?

16 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 09, 2017
Poor English
How can you student a course?
grin grin grin
Baba this is 9ja....person wey study Yoruba sef dey work for bank

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by ednut1(m): 6:40pm On Jun 09, 2017
GEJ studied zoology, ameachi English, amos adamu human kinetics, gej no even go school. grin

5 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by bemigh36o(m): 6:40pm On Jun 09, 2017
Very important questions
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by habeeb246(m): 6:40pm On Jun 09, 2017
Fantastic
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by seunO4: 6:40pm On Jun 09, 2017
Very true...i chose medicine and i have no regrets whatsoever
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 09, 2017
cheesy
An average student can study medicine&surgery sir.,
If only he/she can sit down and read.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 09, 2017
I want to become a whistle blower, please what course
should I study ?

9 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by BornAgainMay: 6:42pm On Jun 09, 2017
sad
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 09, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Goodbye, English Language.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by eph12(m): 6:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
Passion? Lol.. You don't know what passion is until you face life.

1 Like

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Pavore9: 6:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
Not regretting psychology.

1 Like

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by slimwizz(m): 6:45pm On Jun 09, 2017
So helpful
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by rawpadgin(m): 6:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
I don't know why people give much importance to education

i am studying banking (part time) in one of the university but i am not about working for someone after graduation

I am only going to school just to get that BSc

I have been working for people since i was 14, time to establish My Own conglomerate

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by marisdgreat(f): 6:47pm On Jun 09, 2017
I am not regretting studying computer science.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Alexis11: 6:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
youngstarlit:
Many undergraduates and graduates are regretting due to their choice of course today. They have failed to consider some essential facts while choosing a field of study. This is usually due to influence by parents, friends and family members. As this decision is a sensitive one that determines the future of a man, I have decided to write this article today so that you will not make a decision with a regretful end.
If you are at the point of choosing a field of study, the following are the questions you should ask yourself.

1. DO I HAVE PASSION FOR THIS COURSE?

The word "PASSION" is irresistible and should never be underestimated. Choosing a course without desire often lead to regret. If you have passion for computer and internet and hate biology, it will be best to go for Computer science or engineering. Don't be influenced by other people's decision to go for Biology-ralated course like medicine and surgery when you don't like biology. If you like chemistry, then you shod choose it's related courses like Pharmacy, Biochemistry Chemical engineering e.t.c. Passion for a course should be considered first because:

-Course you have passion for are usually easier to study
-Courses you don't have passion for are usually harder

2. AM I CAPABLE TO STUDENTS THIS COURSE?
Your ability is best known to you. Consider an average or below average student choosing Medicine and Surgery. What happens? It will be difficult for such a person to cope with the course requirement which eventually leads to failure. So, consider your ability, how much you can read, your retentive capability before choosing a course.

3. HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO STUDENTS THIS COURSE?
"Money" is another important thing to consider while choosing a course. Consider the standard of living of your parents or your sponsor. Courses that involves more practical and expensive such as Anatomy, Medicine, Animal-related Courses should not be chosen by someone with a low standard of living. It will affect you during your period of study.

4. WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS COURSE IN THE ECONOMY?
I'll break this question down into two parts:
A. Is employment readily or rarely available?
B. How much will I get paid after getting a job?

A. Hot cake Courses like medicine, pharmacy, law, chemical engineering, computer engineering, Mass communication, civil engineer, nursing e.t.c have high demand in the Labour market while Courses like religious study, music, zoology, sports, sociology and geography are not marketable. So, choose Courses that are in high demand in labour market.
B. Everybody wants to earn some cool cash. Nobody wants to graduate and start earning #20,000-30,000 yearly. While some courses pays greatly, others are manageable. Everybody wants to earn hundreds of thousands yearly. Hot cake Courses mentioned above can fetch you such cash. So, choose a course that pays so you won't regret in life. However, geographical location should also be considered because a course which pays in Nigeria may not pay in USA.

I believe if you can consider the questions above, you will make the best decision in choosing a course for study.

Source: http://classicinfospot..com/2017/05/Guide-to-choose-the-right-course.html

Hot cake job still dey Nigeria

Well, maybe Pharmacy. cool

1 Like

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Ugo4hotish(m): 6:51pm On Jun 09, 2017
Please how can i student a course?? Lalalalalalalstististististicallllllllllalalalallaalalalal

2 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Lordfranklin(m): 6:54pm On Jun 09, 2017
stop misleading undergraduates and aspirants with this hocus pocus!
It shouldn't be what the society will offer you but what you have to offer the society.
If all the aspirants keep applying for the "lucrative" ones, who will take up others you term 'irrelevant'?
And by the way, an average student can study medicine.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by thoollz: 6:57pm On Jun 09, 2017
This should be an article written by an educated person, but with d errors here, i doubt that. Did u sit down to read what u wrote up there?
I believe making d right choice when selecting a course and improving yourself will help u go a long way.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Enezoza(f): 7:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
Talking about passion, what do one do when year after year, he/she is not offered the course s/he is passionate about...? You know how Nigeria universities are, ones choice of course is not what they always offer even if one is qualified...

I'm studying PRIMARY EDUCATION STUDIES (PES) now, not because I had passion for it. After many trials, I have no choice but to accept it. Now I love it (I must love it to do well in it)

My advice is;
Study any course you are offered
Look out for the good side of it
Talk yourself into loving it wholeheartedly
Put in effort and do it well
Offer the society something good with the course
Most importantly, never forget GOD. No matter what you study, you still need His help.

With my PES, I can't wait to be the owner of the best Childhood Education Provider in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Giannakopoulos(f): 7:12pm On Jun 09, 2017
There's nothing like an average student or good student it all depends on who wants to sit down and study!

3 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by imstrong1: 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2017
You generate the greatest results where your passion lies

1 Like

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 09, 2017
Fix your grammar first before giving advice.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Debt Management Office To Sack Staff Who Leaked Official Documents / Supreme Court Voids Mobil’s Sack Of 860 Nigerian Staff, 18 Years After / Ganiyu Olawunmi Omolabake: BMW Club Nigeria Celebrates Female Mechanic In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.