Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,384 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Starting Project Management Training/certification - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Starting Project Management Training/certification (27764 Views)

Subsea Engineering Easter Training Promo with Free HSE Training & Certification / Free Online Hse Training/certification Program / Project Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2007
Is there anybody in the house who knows how one can get started in project management? I mean, how can a computer engineering graduate who is a complete novice in project management, but little on the job experience get started in project management certifications (PMI or something?).

Awaiting your responses please,
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by AfricaFace(f): 9:10am On Jan 31, 2007
I think i also wants to do that, It's alll about Project management now,

i have taken a little step further by studying the easiest and cheapest Project management software, that's Microsoft Project, still investigating on how to do it,
sure it's not common in Nigeria
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 6:19pm On Jan 31, 2007
AfricaFace,

Apart from Microsoft Project, what are other project management softwares you know? Can we work together on this? Do you have contacts I could reach you with?

Best regards.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by bibibabe(f): 10:20pm On Jan 31, 2007
Hi guys, read the stuff about project management. Why not do prince2? Its a project managemnt course and it's in two stages. The first is the foundation and then the practitioner stage. Not bad i did the foundation stage.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 7:53am On Feb 01, 2007
bibibabe,

Could you kindly shed more light on prince2? I mean training details please.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by obrien2k(m): 3:54pm On Feb 01, 2007
Hi all , pls waht is the job prospects in obtaining the PMP or PRINCE2 certifications?
Thanks
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by muchmoney: 10:29am On Feb 03, 2007
Hi, someone shlould please tell those of us interested in project management training, how to go about it. pls the info is urgently needed.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by opimuff(m): 10:40am On Feb 03, 2007
It is simple, get in touch with a consultant or go through the uni,
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by muchmoney: 10:48am On Feb 03, 2007
Thanks,pls can you recommend a consultant or a uni ?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Tmoni(m): 11:46pm On Feb 03, 2007
i am doing a masters in project management now and we have kearnt only MS Project , PRINCE was said to be more of a government software. Another good software which we are also exploring is PRIMAVERA, also there is another software for project risk management though my background is the construction industry.
would also write the APM exam in April.
would love to help in my little way.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by nferyn(m): 12:54am On Feb 04, 2007
Kashif:

Is there anybody in the house who knows how one can get started in project management? I mean, how can a computer engineering graduate who is a complete novice in project management, but little on the job experience get started in project management certifications (PMI or something?).

Awaiting your responses please,
If you're working in the IT sector, I recommend you stick to Prince2 as a methodology, as it was specifically developed for IT.
Prince 2 has the advantage of being process based and relatively lightweight compared to PMI (especially if you want to go for PMP certification). Also, the focus on the governance structure and the interative review of the business case makes it very much suited to the fluid field of IT. Passing Prince2 foundation is a breeze and if you still have the habit of studying (fresh out of uni?), practitioner shouldn't be that difficult either.
PMP certification is harder to obtain as you already need to have proven experience in the field of Project Management if you want to pass the certification process. PMI goes into a lot of detail and gives you far more insight into specific techniques, but it can get a little theoretical as well.

I personally stick to Prince2 as a methodology but use PMI material for specifics (e.g. WBS structuring, Risk Management, Planning techniques, etc)

One thing though: never rely on a software to do your project management for you and especially don't rely on MS Project wink
What you should definitely do is learn to plan using paper techniques such as PERT analysis and only when you really understand how it works, can you move to software to do that for you. Unless you understand the algorithms (which are explained in those paper tecniques) underlying the software, you'll never know what to expect and you won't understand why your plans get all scrambled up the moment the work really starts.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by nferyn(m): 1:00am On Feb 04, 2007
Kashif:

bibibabe,

Could you kindly shed more light on prince2? I mean training details please.
Here's the Official Prince2 Manual (You have to be quick if you want to download it (100 downloads or 7 days max @ yousendit)
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by LoverBwoy(m): 2:57am On Feb 04, 2007
Thanx wink
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by obrien2k(m): 8:35pm On Feb 04, 2007
Hi Nferyn,

Pls could u do me a favour by giving an insight into what one stands to gain byeing apmp or a prince2 professional.

Thanks so much
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by nferyn(m): 9:08pm On Feb 04, 2007
obrien2k:

Hi Nferyn,

Please could u do me a favour by giving an insight into what one stands to gain byeing apmp or a prince2 professional.

Thanks so much
The same thing as with any degree or certification: it's a formal recognition of the knowledge and experience that person has.
There are many things to consider, such as:
* As many Project Managers work as external consultants (especially the highly paid ones), some kind of formalisation of experience and knowledge is taken into account when bidding on a contract or applying for a job
* For many Project Management job offers, certification is a prerequisite
* I would hire a Prince2 Practitioner or PMP any time over someone that isn't certified (unless of course that person can show a stellar CV with sufficient references of previous successful projects)
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by AfricaFace(f): 9:27am On Feb 05, 2007
@Nferyn,
Thanks so much. i have just downloaded the manual, and it is a very good one,
how do i go about the application itself , i mean the Prince2 software, can i get it online too
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by edoyakk(m): 9:51am On Feb 05, 2007
Kashif,
I know how you can get started in project management. I run a project management training firm.
I prepare people for the P.M.P(Project.Management.Professional) certification from the P.M.I.(Project.Management.Institute)
I attached an article here you should read, if you have any more questions after you read it, contact us we would be very happy to show you the way.

Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by nferyn(m): 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2007
AfricaFace:

@Nferyn,
Thanks so much. i have just downloaded the manual, and it is a very good one,
My pleasure

AfricaFace:

how do i go about the application itself , i mean the Prince2 software, can i get it online too
Prince2 is a methodology, not a software.

As far as (generic) PM software is concerned, I would recommend Artemis, Primavera or Open Plan for very complex non-IT projects in a very mature project organisation and Hydra for IT projects in a matrix organisation.
I also use CA's Clarity and Open Workbench, but that's more geared towards overall service industry automation and the specific PM functionalities are not very well thought out. You'll only benefit from Clarity in very high volume corporate environment.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 8:48am On Feb 08, 2007
nferyn,

Do you have contacts?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by nferyn(m): 9:46am On Feb 10, 2007
Kashif:

nferyn,

Do you have contacts?
What do you mean by that?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Pause: 4:42pm On Feb 14, 2007
nferyn, got to the site a bit late, any ideas where else i can get the prince 2 material. I hope to do the foundation and practitioner exams this year.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by nolaodus(f): 3:38am On Feb 23, 2007
I have been a project manager for over 15 years in the US and I am PMP certified. I have helped several people to become PMP certified at the first try. I am in partnership in a company and we train on project management. We are accredited by the Project Management Institute. You can visit www.pmi.org and search for ProConsult, LLC. We are based in Maryland but we have an office in Lagos. We have been to Nigeria a few times to train. You may have seen our ads in the paper, particularly The Guardian. Please visit our website at www.proconsult-llc.com.
If you need more information about our courses and calendar for the year, please email me at nola@proconsult-llc.com and I will respond to your email.
PMP is more internationally accepted than Prince2. Prince2 is used in the United Kingdom but PMP is used anywhere in the world. There is a great demand for PMP certified professionals right now. Just do a search on www.hotjobs.com and you will find at least 30,000 entries. There is a high demand for PMP even in Nigeria. ProConsult will be offering classes in April, May and June in Lagos, Nigeria. Visit our website regularly for current information.
We offer a lot of reading materials and past questions with our courses.
By the way, Microsoft Project is simply a tool that is used to manage projects. You must have a basic knowledge of project management in order to be able to use the tool the way it was intended to be used. Artemis is rather technical and is used mainly in the engineering field. You need more than a basic knowledge of project management for this tool. It is not commonly used anywhere even in the US. As a matter of fact, I implemented Artemis for TeleCheck/First Data Corporation in 2000.
If you need more information on project management, send me an email
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 12:04pm On Feb 26, 2007
nferyn,

I meant email address or phone number.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by muchmoney: 3:33pm On Feb 27, 2007
Much thanks to you all; what is the (labour)market demand for a holder of the certificate?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Shalwz(f): 1:08pm On Mar 08, 2007
hi nefryn, could you please give me the link to download the project management software. i checked out but the link has expired.thanks!
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 6:43pm On Mar 08, 2007
@shalwz,

I can drop it in your mailbox if provided.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by mystikal(m): 10:48pm On Mar 09, 2007
@ nolaodus
Do have any arrangements where CAPM courses are taught? And do you think its a good idea 2 go 4 CAPM considering the fact i just got outta school?
Also how long after getting a CAPM certification can I get PMP certification? Thanks.

Also, When and where are the CAPM testing centres in Nigeria?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 8:06am On Mar 12, 2007
@mystikal,

Yes, it makes a lot of sense for you to go for CAPM considering your experience but, I advise you train for PMP because you have more exposure. Moreover, both are about the same price.

Contact @edoyakk on 08033334439. He will tell you all you need to know about PM training here in Lagos. They are good at it.

Hope this helps.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by osa77: 6:15pm On Mar 12, 2007
@all
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by manp1: 1:07pm On Apr 30, 2007
hi,

Our firm offers project management certification training and courses especially for those who are starting afresh and wants to be honored in the field knowing that it crosses across all area of life or industry.

thanks for your interest to improve yourself in live and i appreciate your desires. all our packs are customized in the American way i.e, straight to the point and we avoid heresies. we focused on the key issues that will make you an effective project manager .glimpse of some of our materials:

1. PM text pack
2.PM knowledge area pack
3.PM question bank
4.PM CD containing snapshot videos.
5.PM pack to assist in practice
6.PM monthly E-journal7.PM e-mail account to communicate with you in case you need fast consultancy
8.Our live changing free book "the secret, science and ability to get wealth"

ALL this for N80,000 including the training fee. it's an executive session of a month (4 Saturdays). when you finish your training sessions we register you for the global certification in PM which qualifies you to have international designation and fellow membership as it's considered that anyone with the certification is an expert and experienced and you know what that kind of certification can give you locally and internationally.the registration and examination fee is N50,000.

and you can take the course and exam any time that's what our international affiliation as done.'because we assure you of qualifying. gone are those days of 4 months lecture and still failing. this is the time of understanding and that's why our motto is "in all your getting, get understanding".

we can also arrange any lecture that fits your schedule your achievement is our dream. so in lagos or not you can still flow in.

much talk., hmm.

visit us or call:

samuel @

NIZAK BUILDING
44,AKANRO STREET ILASAMAJA, LAGOS NIGERIA.
pmconsults@gmail.com

PMCONSULTINGS powered by APAN MUELT CONSULTS.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by ebonie(f): 7:34pm On May 05, 2007
You can also do a project management course with pmcollege. they are based in the UK but just opened a study center in nigeria.
You can check www.pmcollege.co.uk for more info
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by nolaodus(f): 3:52pm On Aug 01, 2007
Call 0803 827 9855 or 0803 052 7772, 01 409 3600, 01 409 3601 for information on our weekend classes for PMP. We are a Registered Education Provider with the Project Management Institute

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Job Opportunities For Microbiologist? / Lady Narrates How Okada Man Saved Her From Embarrassment In Lagos / I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.