Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,541 members, 7,819,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole (909 Views)

Mr President, Take Charge! By Simon Kolawole / Welcome To Fire, Prof Gambari - Simon Kolawole / Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by Cooly100: 12:57pm On May 29, 2017
It’s now 50 years since the first shot was fired and 47 years since the war ended, but many of the issues are still on fire. The Igbo, in particular, believe that they are not receiving a fair deal in the union despite all the talk about reconciliation, rehabilitation and reconstruction. They believe the quota system and federal character are skewed against them, and the entrance requirements into federal schools are tougher for them compared to other parts of the country. The Igbo are also often at the receiving end of ethno-religious violence — although it is not limited to them these days. At some point, they always suffered the heaviest casualty.

In the meantime, while every geo-political zone has six states (the north-west has seven), the south-east has only five. That means when you pick a minister per state, they will always have only five. They also have the least number of local governments. Federal infrastructural projects that could boost the south-east economy, such as interstate roads, railway and the second Niger bridge, do not often get priority attention in Abuja. Under the current administration, Igbo influence at the federal level has diminished significantly, compared to the case under Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan when they held important positions, especially under Jonathan.

The elephant in the room, of course, is presidency. Will an Igbo ever become president of Nigeria again? Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, an Igbo, was governor-general of Nigeria from 1960 to 1963 and president from 1963 to 1966, but these were ceremonial positions without executive powers. Major-General JTU Aguiyi-Ironsi, an Igbo, accidentally became military head of state in 1966 after the failed Major Kaduna Nzeogwu-led coup. Aguiyi-Ironsi ruled for six months before he was killed in the countercoup. Since then, no Igbo has been president, either civilian or military. However, the other major ethnic groups — Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba — have had their fill.

Now let’s face the fact: if I were an Igbo with such a long list of grievances, I would feel unloved and unwanted in the Nigerian federation. It is very easy for an outsider to dismiss these complaints. But the question to ask is: if you are a Fulani or Yoruba or Ijaw and you have a strong feeling that the system is skewed against the hopes, dreams and aspirations of your people, will you keep quiet? Who feels it knows it. I have said this a million times: I do not wish to live in any society where I am convinced there is a conspiracy to keep anyone down. I want to live in a society where there are no glass ceilings — no matter your ethnic origin, religion, beliefs, gender and accent....

Pic1- Onitsha bridge blwn up in 1967
pic2 - Onitsha bridge in 2017

People what has changed? So that people who are running their mouth all over the places would know what is going on...

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/05/28/biafra-is-not-a-dirty-word/

Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 29, 2017
Another Afonja writing about Biafraa. Can't this people just leave us alone...instead write about Oduo Republic. The fact is no Biafraan will ever write about Oduo Republic...because we don't care!

3 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by tinkinjow: 1:14pm On May 29, 2017
The beneficiaries will never listen. They are a stiff neck people.
Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by PREBuhari2019: 1:28pm On May 29, 2017
All they want is Biafra or Restructuring

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by beckplanet: 1:32pm On May 29, 2017
Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by GuyWise(m): 1:52pm On May 29, 2017
Ok afonja we don hear

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by igwebuike01: 2:18pm On May 29, 2017
Afonja mind your business

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by banki(m): 4:06pm On May 29, 2017
drake2000x:
Another Afonja writing about Biafraa. Can't this people just leave us alone...instead write about Oduo Republic. The fact is no Biafraan will ever write about Oduo Republic...because we don't care!

nairaland is owned by OLUSEUN OSEWA

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by dexentity: 5:50pm On May 29, 2017
Simon Kolawole is a fool, let him face the numerous challenges battling his region, and allow the ibos to fight their battles. He will never be appreciated for this, he will rather be abused and maligned. Let him learn from what they did to Prof Soyinka and others.
These people should stop crying more than the bereaved. There are a lot of ills he can write about in the west if he is having itches to write.
Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by dexentity: 5:51pm On May 29, 2017
Simon Kolawole is a fool, let him face the numerous challenges battling his region, and allow the ibos to fight their battles. He will never be appreciated for this, he will rather be abused and maligned. Let him learn from what they did to Prof Soyinka and others.

These people should stop crying more than the bereaved. There are a lot of ills he can write about in the west if he is having itches to write.
Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by Chilug(m): 6:42pm On May 29, 2017
When people have decided to be so nosey you wonder if a particular problem is peculiar to you. Oga there are bridges yet to be constructed in the West. Speak for your self and your people. Your voice couldn't have been louder than the ibos. Thank you
Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by pauljumbo: 6:45pm On May 29, 2017
the Biafra movement is very strong outside in Nigeria

i think Kanu nonviolent approach his really working
Re: Biafra Is Not A Dirty Word -Simon Kolawole by Ikeg: 6:57pm On May 29, 2017
drake2000x:

Did you even bother to read the article
Yes I agree the Afonja butt their oblong head in all igbo matter like some whores but in this case, maybe you should read what he wrote.

I do agree not one igbo would care about their odour republic.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Cries Out: I Will Never Forgive Those 2 Big Thieves, Obasanjo And Jonatha / Will Biafra Be Better Than Nigeria? (discussion) / I Was Sent To Destroy Amaechi By Wike– Livingstone Wechie [VIDEO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.