Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,227 members, 7,811,627 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i (10445 Views)

BMW 523i / I Noticed That There Are Much Benz C300 Between 2008-10 / Between 2008 C300, 2010 VW Cc And 2010 Is250 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by mili3kid(m): 6:40pm On May 30, 2017
kingreign:

Lol. Or else e go be like that 98 avensis guy angry way go blow engine trying to race an 09 C300. grin
na why peeps no dey respect their sef like dis? why race a benz? e no even find honda or kia... e go dey race benz? make God cash am say na kompressor.. na red light e go just see b4 e remain himsef alone

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 30, 2017
kingreign:

Lol. Or else e go be like that 98 avensis guy angry way go blow engine trying to race an 09 C300. grin
LOL! who be that learner. when mechanic give am bill na so he go hang hand for head begin dey lament " who sent me measage"

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Olalekan76(m): 1:21pm On May 31, 2017
anonymousjuju:

This is actually the first time i'd be hearing about this. Though i know the modern cars being made are more fuel efficient than the older models, but we were meant to believe that Toyota right from the day the name came to existence has more fuel efficiency than any other cars made. I know say na myth. But its what most mechanics makes us to understand.

One of my fear going for a BMW is fuel consumption, but i am ready to take that bull by the horn if i eventually go for it. But i need to know if its fuel consumption is any different from that of the toyota i mentioned above.

The fuel consumption of any car depends of the engine that is in it. A 1.8litres engine no matter the type or model of car will not consump fuel as a 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5lutres engine. The only Toyota that has the best fuel consumptions are the corolla that as an EFI technology in the fueling system and they never come in any form above 1.8litres engine.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by princetom1(m): 1:32pm On May 31, 2017
kingreign:

Go after your heart, but take your head and a very trust worthy and highly knowledgeable technician along. I'd personally take the Camry over the BMW cos I dislike sudden expensive breakdowns which the E60 are known for. But, when they're good, their poise and stance is only rivalled by a merc W211 and an Audi A6 C6.

An example of such sudden break done and how much it might cost?

U never know, wats said to be expensive might not be the case for d op, any day any time
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 31, 2017
nurey:
I don't know what people basically get in that camry, I have driven one at 190km/h and lost to a turbo charged 4 cylinder Kia optima hehe grin, I don't see anything fancy in the car even upto the 2010 LE hybrid version though that interior looks like a palace to first timer.

Am put off by Toyota now because of the greedy prices they are sold for and the love of the men of the under world when it comes to snatching.

The BMW is a rear gem now, used to be very popular back then, now I have only come across one since this year started but the 7series seems to be damn popular.

Well my verdict is Toyota wins the car category while the BMW wins the class category

Car gets you to B from A, good on gas, easy to maintain and diagnose, no hanky Panky.

Class stands you out, turns heads, the guys too will be jealous, you can Rev in red light without throwing a piston,also guys will respect you.

But why don't you try the 1series or 3series and grow your love of the bravarian master piece to me the 5
series maintenance and parts no be beans

I challenge your xtera to a race with my 1984 Toyota Starlet.... Oyo expressway
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 31, 2017
nurey:

If you like the 3series, the E46 should be a good choice 1998-2006, a nairaland user didn't rate the E90 well 07-13 says too low, changed suspension like he'll etc.

The E46 will be a good start, whether the I4 or I6, you are good to go, not common but a reliable car all the same, of you intend to go Savage the M package with a 4.0L V8 will fill the void grin
I am amazed you don't market Mazda
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by nurey(m): 1:49pm On May 31, 2017
angels09:

You are back with yet another moniker, you dey try Gan oooo.

Racing your starlet is like me been an accomplice to your suicide.
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 31, 2017
nurey:

You are back with yet another moniker, you dey try Gan oooo.

Racing your starlet is like me been an accomplice to your suicide.
Your tuketuke xterra kolewerk... 5S engined starlet.... You will be dizxy in that cargo box.. back where I have always been here.
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by abolore80(m): 7:29pm On May 31, 2017
if the BMW is manual go for it, but if its not, go for the camry. You can only enjoy the power of the BMW if it comes with a manual tranny.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by ThinkWISELY(m): 7:42pm On May 31, 2017
anonymousjuju:
Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a new car for myself. Presently, i am torn between two cars.

I am in love with both and would need your advise on which i should go for as i cannot afford both at once.

I am looking at

2008 Toyota Camry sport Edition

and

2008 BMW 523i

Please i would need your advise on which i should go for and as i'm not so much knowledgeable about cars, i would like to know the merit and demerit of both cars for comparison.

Fuel Consumption
Maintenance Level
Durability
etc that i would need to know
And if there are readily auto technicians that can handle it.

Thanks y'all

op no dull am Fuel Consumption
Maintenance Level
Durability,camry is better,so come and get this my Nigeria used Camry if you are in Lagos,i will give you for 2.6million

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Somatic(m): 7:48pm On May 31, 2017
Follow your heart, but make sure your head is in the picture.

Both cars are good , pleasurable vehicles depending on your driving preferences. Parts and mechanics for both are available as well, though quality of parts and labour may be an issue. For an efficient and reliable car, I'd pick the 2.4i4 or 3.3v6 Toyota Camry. Preferring a more involving driving experience, more comfort,as well as bells and whistles a mid size sedan can offer, the 525/30/35i BMW is your bet here.

Whatever you do though, DO NOT EVER go close to the E90 (2007-2011). All those I know that had em didn't have a happy story to tell. Even from the cars they bought after selling the beemers off will tell you how they suffered. One bought an Opel Zafira, the other a Peugeot 206.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by biggiyke(m): 8:03pm On May 31, 2017
you dont sound like the average driver in nigeria that breaths toyota, eats toyota and sleeps toyota.

going by your passion for driving excellence, i promise you that you would get tired of the camry pretty quick.

i used to think like the average nigerian, so i owned a 2007 accord for years b4 switching to a 2008 fx35, then i made a giant leap to a 2013 bmw x3 f25.

my dear, the difference is clear. there's no comparison.

mind you, there are bmw parts at ladipo, available and reasonably priced (infact, there's a whole street at ladipo specifically for bmw).

my advice, i know where your heart is. go for it. forget the average nigerians negative talk about german cars. so far, my bmw is Mr Reliable. iv traveled all over nigeria with her and she's never disappointed.

she's a head turner everyday. she gets more attention than the venzas and rx350s and highlanders etc.
anonymousjuju:

Okay, please i would like to know why i should stay away from the BMW, is there something i need to worry about ?

I presently drive a 2007 Honda Accord and i've handled it quite well with little or less problems. Can't same be applied in handling the bmw or camry ? I like elegance.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 9:10pm On May 31, 2017
ThinkWISELY:

Maintenance Level
Durability,camry is better,so come and get this my Nigeria used Camry if you are in Lagos,i will give you for 2.6million
Thats rubishhh

4 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On May 31, 2017
abolore80:
if the BMW is manual go for it, but if its not, go for the camry.
You can only enjoy the power of the BMW if it comes with a manual tranny.
Another rubishhh, ask yourself why manual cars are cheaper than Auto

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 9:13pm On May 31, 2017
Olalekan76:

The fuel consumption of any car depends of the engine that is in it. A 1.8litres engine no matter the type or model of car will not consump fuel as a 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5lutres engine. The only Toyota that has the best fuel consumptions are the corolla that as an EFI technology in the fueling system and they never come in any form above 1.8litres engine.
Plz tell them again

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by anonymousjuju(f): 12:41am On Jun 01, 2017
ThinkWISELY:

Maintenance Level

A used camry for such exorbitant amount ? No thanks. Now i understand why someone said this particular product is over hyped and being sold for ridiculous amount. No thanks. I appreciate your contribution

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by komekn(m): 12:44am On Jun 01, 2017
If I was a female in Nigeria my first consideration would be safety.

The first choice of the Nigerian car jacker is a Toyota and the first preference is the Camry. The BMW is not on the shopping list of the Nigerian car jacker. Drastically reduce the probability of getting robbed and even perish the thought sexually violated as well. By the way I am talking from first hand painful experience in Warri.

Get updated and get linked in its an Inter connected world we live in. The ease of getting parts on line means maintenance is not an issue. I seriously believe you will get them much cheaper and with less probability of fake and or substandard parts compared to the Camry.

Join a BMW forum get all the maintenance tips you need. There are good and informed, conversant BMW technicians in Lagos.

Finally, the BMW is car that makes you smile as you enjoy the drive, of the ultimate driving machine.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by anonymousjuju(f): 12:44am On Jun 01, 2017
biggiyke:
you dont sound like the average driver in nigeria that breaths toyota, eats toyota and sleeps toyota.

going by your passion for driving excellence, i promise you that you would get tired of the camry pretty quick.

i used to think like the average nigerian, so i owned a 2007 accord for years b4 switching to a 2008 fx35, then i made a giant leap to a 2013 bmw x3 f25.

my dear, the difference is clear. there's no comparison.

mind you, there are bmw parts at ladipo, available and reasonably priced (infact, there's a whole street at ladipo specifically for bmw).

my advice, i know where your heart is. go for it. forget the average nigerians negative talk about german cars. so far, my bmw is Mr Reliable. iv traveled all over nigeria with her and she's never disappointed.

she's a head turner everyday. she gets more attention than the venzas and rx350s and highlanders etc.

The bolded part is what i use to think and i am ready to take a giant leap out of that thinking faculty that Only specific cars are easy to maintain and all the myth that surrounds staying away from some particular vehicles. I could remember when people were scared of going for lexus with all the sayings that lexus is a problematic car, its this and that, its not good for the Nigerian roads, there are no mechanics for them and all that.....Surprisingly today, everyone now wants to drive lexus suvs. Rx is everywhere, even their sedan cars is everywhere. Okay, Mercedez benz too....you get to hear stories that the parts is expensive, if you buy a benz, it would bore a hold in your pocket, this and that....Everyone is now going for Benz products, you get to see the C_Class everywhere. So what's the stereotype on BMWs, it won't be long before you start seeing Nigerians rushing it and saying its the latest in town......Thanks for understanding where i am coming from.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by anonymousjuju(f): 12:47am On Jun 01, 2017
Somatic:
Follow your heart, but make sure your head is in the picture.

Both cars are good , pleasurable vehicles depending on your driving preferences. Parts and mechanics for both are available as well, though quality of parts and labour may be an issue. For an efficient and reliable car, I'd pick the 2.4i4 or 3.3v6 Toyota Camry. Preferring a more involving driving experience, more comfort,as well as bells and whistles a mid size sedan can offer, the 525/30/35i BMW is your bet here.

Whatever you do though, DO NOT EVER go close to the E90 (2007-2011). All those I know that had em didn't have a happy story to tell. Even from the cars they bought after selling the beemers off will tell you how they suffered. One bought an Opel Zafira, the other a Peugeot 206.

You are the 3rd person to warn me about this particular car. This must have been the worst ever made. Everyone seems to have a sad story about the E90. I'll take this into consideration. lol grin. Yes, camry has all the features you listed above, can't we all move on from camry and try something else ? Everyone can just stereotype other cars just because camry has these features. They are other great cars out there that can rival the camries or the corollas. If one person suggests one thing and everyone revolves around the same circle that person suggests, then how do we then explore other suggestions ? or test other waters ?

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by anonymousjuju(f): 12:48am On Jun 01, 2017
abolore80:
if the BMW is manual go for it, but if its not, go for the camry.
You can only enjoy the power of the BMW if it comes with a manual tranny.

Manual ? Hell No, don't wanna grow muscles.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by anonymousjuju(f): 12:49am On Jun 01, 2017
angels09:

This cracks me up grin grin grin grin are u kidding me ? A starlet running against an xtera ?
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by anonymousjuju(f): 12:58am On Jun 01, 2017
komekn:
If I was a female in Nigeria my first consideration would be safety.

The first choice of the Nigerian car jacker is a Toyota and the first preference is the Camry. The BMW is not on the shopping list of the Nigerian car jacker. Drastically reduce the probability of getting robbed and even perish the thought sexually violated as well. By the way I am talking from first hand painful experience in Warri.

Get updated and get linked in its an Inter connected world we live in. The ease of getting parts on line means maintenance is not an issue. I seriously believe you will get them much cheaper and with less probability of fake and or substandard parts compared to the Camry.

Join a BMW forum get all the maintenance tips you need. There are good and informed, conversant BMW technicians in Lagos.

Finally, the BMW is car that makes you smile as you enjoy the drive, of the ultimate driving machine.

Oh wow....Now you just gave something to think about. Carjackers are always Hot when it comes to the camry. Because its hot cake in the Nigerian market. I have a friend who drove his 2002 toyota camry to church, he came out after service and her car was missing. Just like that, the car dissappeared into thin air and up until today, it was no where to be found. Several cases of missing toyota cars from where it was parked. This in particular scares me about Toyota Cars especially the camries.. I learnt the keys are easily recreated into master keys which they use to carjack them.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Kjnwancaro: 1:22am On Jun 01, 2017
Madam If I was you this debate is over. I would rather pay the price for the classiness than drive a bland veecle. Go for prestige

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Kitow: 2:04am On Jun 01, 2017
Well BMW all day but the question thr is will you see good mechanic in Nigeria in case you have issues with the car. Toyota very easy to get someone to fix it for you, so I will say go for the Toyota.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by sultaan(m): 3:26am On Jun 01, 2017
In my opinion, OP already drive a 07 Accord and for reasons not yet stated open wants another car.
07 accord and 08 camry are basically the same, if upgrading the last thing to do is to buy the same boring car.

The BMW is better in all aspect so it will be the better choice on similar budget

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Somatic(m): 6:25am On Jun 01, 2017
anonymousjuju:

You are the 3rd person to warn me about this particular car. This must have been the worst ever made. Everyone seems to have a sad story about the E90. I'll take this into consideration. lol grin. [/B]Yes, camry has all the features you listed above, can't we all move on from camry and try something else ? Everyone can just stereotype other cars just because camry has these features. They are other great cars out there that can rival the camries or the corollas. If one person suggests one thing and everyone revolves around the same circle that person suggests, then how do we then explore other suggestions ? or test other waters ?[/B]

É aunty, read my post again. Never did favour one over the other. I gave strong points for each. You know what you want already, you're just seeking validation. And by the tone of the thread I believe you can decipher that.
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Nobody: 6:29am On Jun 01, 2017
anonymousjuju:

This cracks me up grin grin grin grin are u kidding me ? A starlet running against an xtera ?
Yeah... The configuration under the hood matters... Xterra is just a waste of space except on very terrible roads... Hi nurey

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 7:46am On Jun 01, 2017
anonymousjuju:

Manual ? Hell No, don't wanna grow muscles.
grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by ThinkWISELY(m): 8:08am On Jun 01, 2017
anonymousjuju:

A used camry for such exorbitant amount ? No thanks. Now i understand why someone said this particular product is over hyped and being sold for ridiculous amount. No thanks. I appreciate your contribution

LOLZ,YOU FUNNY GAAN,The price is okay,it's not over hyped....very sound engine.Mind you used but 'was carefully used',not rough handled
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by ThinkWISELY(m): 8:09am On Jun 01, 2017
erico2k2:

Thats rubishhh

bros chill grin
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by bravolad(m): 8:57am On Jun 01, 2017
This is gradually turning into arguement rather than advise. I don't think there's any contest here. You mentioned you love both cars, but your considerations are fuel economy, avalaibility of spare parts, durability, technical knowhow for maintenance & if I may add, resale value when the need arises. Your concern was never, performance etc.

There's a reason the Camry is all over the place, not just in Nigeria; reliability suppasses all other factors which Toyota Camry is known for. In Nigeria for instance, any kazeem can rescue you in an event of emergency break down as against the highly sophisticated German build in BMW. I see more BMW & Benz abandoned at the mechanic workshop but I have not seen a Camry abandoned except the owner is dead or had an accident of which investigation is on-going.

For the banters about carjacking and theft of Camry, just so we are clear on this; any car can be stolen including Mercedes & BMW, although the rate is obviously high for the Camry because of the high resale value. What I have learnt about this is that most users of the Toyota Camry and other related models are somewhat careless in terms of where they park, and how they park. Personally, I don't park out of sight. When in an insecure environment, I tip the security guards to keep an eye. Sometime ago, a neighbours bmw was stolen without a trace.

So, if your concern is class and performance, and you have the finances to deal with any outcome of the BMW, pls by all means; follow your desire. No one on this site will assist you with funds when the car needs some fixes.

The onus is on you to decide what you can afford and sustain for a long time.

Good luck with your choice but please, let us know what you choose eventually.

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Inception(m): 9:57am On Jun 01, 2017
bravolad:
This is gradually turning into arguement rather than advise. I don't think there's any contest here. You mentioned you love both cars, but your considerations are fuel economy, avalaibility of spare parts, durability, technical knowhow for maintenance & if I may add, resale value when the need arises. Your concern was never, performance etc.

There's a reason the Camry is all over the place, not just in Nigeria; reliability suppasses all other factors which Toyota Camry is known for. In Nigeria for instance, any kazeem can rescue you in an event of emergency break down as against the highly sophisticated German build in BMW. I see more BMW & Benz abandoned at the mechanic workshop but I have not seen a Camry abandoned except the owner is dead or had an accident of which investigation is on-going.

For the banters about carjacking and theft of Camry, just so we are clear on this; any car can be stolen including Mercedes & BMW, although the rate is obviously high for the Camry because of the high resale value. What I have learnt about this is that most users of the Toyota Camry and other related models are somewhat careless in terms of where they park, and how they park. Personally, I don't park out of sight. When in an insecure environment, I tip the security guards to keep an eye. Sometime ago, a neighbours bmw was stolen without a trace.

So, if your concern is class and performance, and you have the finances to deal with any outcome of the BMW, pls by all means; follow your desire. No one on this site will assist you with funds when the car needs some fixes.

The onus is on you to decide what you can afford and sustain for a long time.

Good luck with your choice but please, let us know what you choose eventually.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan / FRSC Set For Nationwide Enforcement Of Speed Limiting Device / Modifications On Toyota Corolla 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.