Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,347 members, 7,864,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:42 PM

50,000 Women Rally For Uche Ekwunife's Governorship Ticket - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 50,000 Women Rally For Uche Ekwunife's Governorship Ticket (1049 Views)

Uche Ekwunife Kicked Out Of APC Primaries (Snapshot) / Senator Uche Ekwunife Decamps To APC / Aisha Buhari's Speech At Benin APC Women Rally (Video & Transcript) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

50,000 Women Rally For Uche Ekwunife's Governorship Ticket by aloyemeka7: 10:23pm On Jan 17, 2010
Anambra women root for Ekwunife
• Defy party affiliation at rally
From GEOFFREY ANYANWU, Awka
Sunday, January 17, 2010

Awka, the Anambra State capital yesterday stood still for the Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA) Standard bearer, Hon. Uche Lilian Ekwunife as Anambra women, numbering over 50,000 defied party affiliations to rally round her in solidarity for the February 6 governorship election.
The turnout of the women and the mission statement sent jitters to other candidates in the race as even visitors to the Emmaus House arena were shocked at the mammoth crowd and that women could rally round a fellow woman in that manner.

As early as 7am, women from all parts of the state have started trooping into Awka and the arena in their buses, singing pro-Ekwunife songs, insisting that it is the turn of the women.
Though there were no long speeches from the women, their conduct, comportment and number said all that needed to be said and the overwhelmed Ekwunife could not hide her surprise and joy as she waved and danced uncontrollably.

All the women who spoke, starting from the Ohaneze Ndigbo Anambra State Women Leader, Lady Ezenwanyi Anekwe were all in one accord demanding that Ekwunife be voted in as the next governor of the state.
The Ohaneze Woman Leader, Lady Anekwe, who addressed the women first said though she was not there to campaign for anybody, she came because of the PPA candidate and because of Anambra women.
“The theme of today’s gathering is Women Solidarity and I am a woman and am supposed to be here. That’s why I am here today. To be sincere to myself, I have never seen such a crowd of women I saw here today in Igbo land, in the tours we do as Ohaneze women. I am impressed.

“Who said women are weak?
Our place is no longer in the kitchen. Like I said, if you educate a woman, you educate a nation. If you can tell yourself the truth, the political situation in Anambra state today is nothing to talk about, but if God has decided to use this woman to liberate Anambra State, why not? Let the wish of God be done”.
She therefore urged the women to be firm in their resolve to speak with one voice on the forthcoming election.
Also speaking, Hon. Tina Akonobi, an organizer in the Ekwunife Campaign Organization, said the day’s function was the brainchild of Anambra women who, in spite of party affiliation, came together to rally round one of their own, Ekwunife.
“Women are saying today, let the men support us for one of our own who is capable to go to the government house come March. I am overwhelmed because you can’t even describe it. It is simply fantastic, I’ve never seen this before, I’ve gone to several rallies in this state, I’ve never seen it like this before.

“This message is clear, because they have always said women don’t speak with one voice, that we have the population, but we are split. But for once, we are united on this message that one of our own must occupy the government house and the person that is going is Uche Ekwunife, that is the message”.
Mrs. Virgy Onyenye who made one of the most powerful speeches, warned the women not to allow men with the old boys networking in this forthcoming election.

“Women, now is our time, our morning has come, don’t allow this thing, there is what its called agenda setting, old boys networking, that is what the men do for us. Old boys networking are a gender problem in Nigeria politics, in Anambra politics, in family politics. When men are contesting, one woman will be there, at a time those men will be fighting themselves, when they finish their fight, at the end of it all, the gentle, subtle motherly woman will win.

“Then these men will go back and agree among themselves to reconcile their differences immediately and take over control from the woman. Women please do not allow them to rob you of your right”.
She asked them not to be deceived by men, reminding them that they are family managers, noting that Ekwunife has the skill, and was built up from age 18 with leadership qualities from God.
“This is the woman who could stand the tide of Anambra, the hectic nature of Anambra politics, the dangers of Anambra politics to show her head and say I will go. Women, we will go, we will be there, we shall be there, and we shall support her, money or no money”.
Mrs. Edith Anyihele from Abuja thanked the women for the surprising thing they did, stressing that what the women did was decision 2010, which is Ekwunife.

She charged them not to allow anybody buy their votes or their consciousness, but urged them to vote for PPA.
For Mrs. Patricia Onyia from Ogbaru who said she is the Catholic Woman Leader in the state, Ekwunife’s victory has already been assured by God, stressing that the PPA candidate would be the next governor of the state.
National woman leader of the PPA, Hajia Halima Suada, warned the women to remember what they have gone through and should not play with the opportunity Ekwunife’s candidature provides.

She urged them not to allow any intimidation, but to vote for Ekwunife massively.
Overwhelmed, Ekwunife urged the women to support her and promised not to forget them if she becomes the governor.
She promised to put in place micro credit facility for women and youths and the farmers, just as she promised free education for the children.
Ekwunife asked them to see the election as their own and to know that she will continue from where she stopped in her humanitarian activities and better it.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/jan/17/national-17-01-2010-03.htm
Re: 50,000 Women Rally For Uche Ekwunife's Governorship Ticket by adconline(m): 10:28pm On Jan 17, 2010
this woman wey dey use her bottom to get anything she wants. from her time as a manager in Standard Trust bank in Awka, her relationship with Mbadinuju, she's always used her sexuality as a tool. maybe it will not work this time.
Re: 50,000 Women Rally For Uche Ekwunife's Governorship Ticket by WilyWily7: 10:38pm On Jan 17, 2010
have you had sexual intercourse with her?
Re: 50,000 Women Rally For Uche Ekwunife's Governorship Ticket by lyfe(m): 10:49pm On Jan 17, 2010
she is no threat to soludo, Ngige, Uba.
Re: 50,000 Women Rally For Uche Ekwunife's Governorship Ticket by chidichris(m): 11:02pm On Jan 17, 2010
paid labourers.
pdp has turned nigerian polity into an object of mockery.

(1) (Reply)

2011 Presidency: Give Us Buhari, Acn Begs Cpc / Jonathan Outbids Atiku ! / Gmb (general Muhammed Buhari)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.