Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Office Politics: Must You Play? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Office Politics: Must You Play? (6944 Views)

How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / 7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Office Politics: Must You Play? by cyndyzuriks(f): 5:08pm On May 31, 2017
Like it or not office politics will always exist. The question is – Must you play in order to get ahead?

Office politics is necessarily not criteria to get ahead at work, but it is an inevitable part of every workplace. If you must play, you have to be smart about it.

What comes to mind whenever you hear Office Politics?

People engaging in certain negative activities just to get favours, promotions, improve their work status, get access to tangible assets, (usually from the higher-ups in an organisation) at the expense of other employees. Right? We all know that someone who always scores one or two from the boss even without doing any actual work. In many cases, strong employees with outstanding performance are tossed aside while the ones who are not even good enough make it to the top. Many of us actually believe that it is all about magma rolling your way to the top, but that should not be the case. Sadly, the term “office politics” always has a negative connotation attached to it. But naturally, there is nothing wrong with using power and status to achieve something, it’s the way we use it that matters. If done right, politics can be beneficial to both the organization and the parties involved.

According to Natalie Khoury, a business coach, “Politics doesn’t have to be about playing games or backstabbing, it should be about building relationships and knowing who can help you make your job easier.”

Negative politics can be destructive. Imagine if everyone actually screws over everyone just to get ahead, the workplace would be a mess, full of strife and hate. You must not play dirty in order to have a successful career.

So how do you navigate through office politics without resorting to ugly tactics to get ahead?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by nellyelitz(m): 5:10pm On May 31, 2017
Well, it depends on the situations...

Nobody holy pass oh, ask 2face.
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by IhateAfonjas(m): 7:21am On Jun 01, 2017

If i don't play office politics, i may lose my job

If i lose my job, i will not be able to provide for my family

If i can't provide for my family, will you do it for me ??

I will never engage in politics that would harm anyone or stop anyone from having a job, i will only manipulate the boss who is 100 times richer than me

7 Likes

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by mrkings84(m): 7:22am On Jun 01, 2017
Ok
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 01, 2017
Hehehehehehehe this favourite topic of mine, I had the powers that be transfer to field operations so I'd not be coerced to pick a side.
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by samlak1999: 7:23am On Jun 01, 2017
Good morning everyone there is a contest going on currently on nairaland. Please I am a participant pls click on this link and move to the bottom of the page you will see a post by "samlak1999" pls just like and share please help invite your friend to. I you don't have an account just register. Pls voting end on Saturday night.

www.nairaland.com/3829110/ill-giving-out-n5000-sunday/1
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by NwaAmaikpe: 7:23am On Jun 01, 2017
angry
Yes you must ooo...

Either through eye service, gifts or bottom-power

If not..
You'd be more marginalized than the SouthEast in that office.

Politics is life

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Dennis192: 7:23am On Jun 01, 2017
they say " If you are in Rome, Then u behave like a Roman" but u got to be very smart.

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by ademega(m): 7:24am On Jun 01, 2017
Some people take office politics as a do or die affair. I believe only God put people in position of authority. There is a guy in my place of work, he wants to become a boss even to his own personal boss, we watching where his antics will take him

5 Likes

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by jeeqaa7(m): 7:29am On Jun 01, 2017
yes oh.. play or be played
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 01, 2017
At a point in your career, what you know isn't enough to get you the desired result. It's who you know that would speak.

I would never play dirty or antagonise my colleagues, I avoid that _but every other is allowed.

3 Likes

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Idydarling(f): 7:31am On Jun 01, 2017
Good one
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by INTROVERT(f): 7:31am On Jun 01, 2017
Never use 'office politics' to trample on another man to be elevated.

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by ademega(m): 7:32am On Jun 01, 2017
PaperLace:
At a point in your career, what you know isn't enough to get you the desired result. It's who you know that would speak.

I would never play dirty of antagonise my colleagues, I avoid that _but every other is allowed.
Politics is a game anywhere where u need to outsmart others even your best friend at times
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Mofpearl: 7:34am On Jun 01, 2017
Can one just mind his/her business? Don't think there is a need to play politics to get ahead.

Just mind my business and do the best that I can. Let my work speak for itself

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Lusola15: 7:35am On Jun 01, 2017
Read my lips, if you want to grow in Nigerian setting you must play office politics
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by adioolayi(m): 7:38am On Jun 01, 2017
You must be aware, not necessarily be a player. If you are ignorant of office politics... you will remain at a position for a long time.
So, be aware but not active

3 Likes

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by wale0911: 7:40am On Jun 01, 2017
Everyone plays office politics at one point or the other either actively or passively. What matter most is the use of your brain to approach situation as they appear. Never make it a do or die affair, and if it ever gets to that, my advice is QUIT!!!

3 Likes

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by ruffhandu: 7:40am On Jun 01, 2017
Politics exists everywhere in life, so long as there are two or more humans involved.

2 Likes

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by SirToby(m): 7:45am On Jun 01, 2017
You must play the politics, no matter how good or sound you are at work, you might meet a resignation letter on your desk if you don't play the game.

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by nmreports: 7:49am On Jun 01, 2017
Yes office politics is crucial. You have to be a chief player yet a very strong believer of hardwork, positivity, efficiency.

Not the dirty politics but one that is aware of the trajectory.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Suko110(m): 7:54am On Jun 01, 2017
It's necessary but u hv to knw not all battles can be won , u shld knw wen to lay low or b booted out for over trying .
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:59am On Jun 01, 2017
Negative politics can be destructive. Imagine if everyone actually screws over everyone just to get ahead, the workplace would be a mess, full of strife and hate. You must not play dirty in order to have a successful career
People get screwed over everyday.
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 01, 2017
The best office politics is to be humble and a "yes sir" man/woman.

This is the secret of my getting to where I am today despite the odds against me being a black (dual citizen Nigerian born American for that matter) young man among my ranks.

I advise people not to engage in office politics but to be loyal and humble to the core. Be a one minute man, be a fool, give up your rights and privileges when the need arises, and above all build an impeccable character for yourself and see your bosses wanna make friends with you.
Today, I have friends that ordinarily should be my heroes and celebrities because of those virtues I listed up there.

Com'on, I'm being too serious now, let's go back to our usual afonja/ipob wars, shall we.grin

14 Likes

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by obicentlis: 8:01am On Jun 01, 2017
Life doesn't end at the office.

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 01, 2017
sad
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by arowstev2000: 8:06am On Jun 01, 2017
IhateAfonjas:

If i don't play office politics, i may lose my job

If i lose my job, i will not be able to provide for my family

If i can't provide for my family, will you do it for me ??

I will never engage in politics that would harm anyone or stop anyone from having a job, i will only manipulate the boss who is 100 times richer than me

Which family? Av u checked ur jamb scores.

1 Like

Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by alukstea(m): 8:07am On Jun 01, 2017
obicentlis:
Life doesn't end at the office.

Life didn't start there either , even politics is played in church .

The politics is the same cause those policing the policies and doing the politicking are the politicians making the politics so political and ....
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by hucienda: 8:10am On Jun 01, 2017
Well, Aristotle postulated that man by nature is a political animal - so you have no option but to play - ethically.
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by maximunimpact(m): 8:12am On Jun 01, 2017
okay
Re: Office Politics: Must You Play? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 01, 2017
No permanent friend or enemy. ... don't be openly confrotational..in all be smart and diplomatic

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

15,000 Lagos Retirees Get N66.5bn Accrued Pension Rights / Renowned Platforms For Free Online Courses / AVEVA PDMS Training Videos + Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.