Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,020 members, 7,818,022 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. (20097 Views)

If As A Christian, You Have Never Experience The Holy Ghost, Then You Are Fake.. / As A Christian You Need These Books From Wise Men And Women Of God / Are You Really A Christian? You Think You Are? Think Again - Moshood Fayemiwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by aigboeben(m): 3:37pm On Jan 11, 2018
prinzfavian:

Lol... Boss...
That verse wasn't even talking about Jesus, but the Christians from the days of the apostles down to our day... The dead there are the spiritually unconscious ones, not literally dead people... And whereas, it was imprisoned spirits Jesus preached too, disobedient ones of old not to the dead... Eph 2:1 puts more light on 1pet 4:6

Thanks Boss.
I hail you o! Gospel preached to them that are dead that they might be judged according to men in the flesh ? How can the dead be judged according to men in the flesh, if by your claim they are in the flesh?
By the way your explanation of Hebrews 4vs12 is worse than the change we get from APC
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by prinzfavian(m): 6:34pm On Jan 11, 2018
aigboeben:

I hail you o! Gospel preached to them that are dead that they might be judged according to men in the flesh ? How can the dead be judged according to men in the flesh, if by your claim they are in the flesh?
By the way your explanation of Hebrews 4vs12 is worse than the change we get from APC
Smiles, Let me try again Boss.
1peter 4:6 is referring to those that are dead spiritually and not those literally dead, because those literally dead are not conscious of anything at all (eccl 9:5)...
Many questions will arise that needs answer if the "dead" as used in that verse is literal,
1. Which "dead" are they? Those that died before Christ or after..? If it was those before Christ, why preach to them since they will still be resurrected for the same reason later on in future? (acts 24:15)
2. There are those dead in Christ too (1thess 4:16), are they among the dead that were preached to? If yes, why? Since they already died faithful and was only waiting to receive their Everlasting reward...
3. Won't the preacher be disobeying God's commandment at deuteronomy 18:11 of not finding anyone among God's people who is a..... Necromancer(someone that inquires or talks to the dead...)?

These are just few of All the questions that beckons for answer if as you claim, the "dead" is literal...

But as I said earlier, ephesians 2:1 helps us to see who these "dead" are... These are those that are dead in their trespasses and sins... In a way spiritually dead. So they needed to be preached to also, so that they can be judged on the same basis as those that are spiritually conscious (those said to be living)....

Before I go further, sorry I didn't ask earlier,
what's your own verdict of both verses, Hebrews 4:12 and 1pet 4:6?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Julivas(m): 8:51pm On Jan 11, 2018
Peacefullove:

am talking about death as it refers to every living thing.

Abeg, which one is the generally accepted ?

So now, answer the question

JESUS CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS.

2 Timothy 2 : 8
Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my Gospel,
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jeruzi(m): 11:52pm On Jan 11, 2018
Peacefullove:
man is a three part being comprising of spirit, soul, and body.
Death is of two types
1) separation of the spirit and soul from the body
2) sparation of the spirit and soul God.

Every human experience the first, but only the unbeliever experience the second.
The death that invoves the separation from God is the reason why sinner go to hell.
spirit doesn't stop existing after the physical body dies.
Jesus said, do not fear those who kill the body, but fear God who can kill both the body and the spirit in hell.
The death of the spirit is simply the spirit being tormented in hell
The Scripture talks about death in the lake of fire also( they be alive in torment).

Jesus Christ experienced both for us.
1) He died in the body.
2) He went to hell.

Also Abraham bosom is not up but under this earth. It is above hell but separated from it, so that the inhabitant of both places do not meet.

Jesus being righteous went to hell because he bore our sins.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Bolaji21(m): 2:29pm On Jan 12, 2018
Peacefullove:
kindly tell me what you think about this verse of the Christian Bible.
Do the whole man die or only his body dies ? . Consider the said verse.

"Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ' Father into your hand I entrust my spirit ' ' After he said this, he died."

You will notice that I underlined the word " He" there is a reason for that and that's exactly why U need to answer the next question

Who does the Pronoun " He" died ; represents ?

a. Jesus Christ DIED

b. only Body dies

C. I dont know

your response ? to validate if the whole of man dies or just his body .

cc : howdy

Salvation101

aigboeben

Ferisidowu

Pastors of religion forum, your attention is needed . Did Jesus really Die for sins ?

In biblical terms, death means separation. Hence, physical death is separation from your body of earth.
1. Man is Spirit, soul, body. The merging of the body (dust) and spirit (breathe) in Genesis 2, precipitated the soul which is the seat of personality.
2. The life of the creature is in the blood, Lev17:11.
3. The Bible says, without the shedding of blood, there's no remission of sin (Hebrew 9:22).
Hence, Jesus went to the cross to shed his blood as required in Heb 9:22, which means he gave his life (since the life is in the blood Lev 17:11).
Hence he proclaimed: It is finished John 19:30.

Additional info: Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Jesus is here telling us that physical death affects only the body. Only God is able to destroy the soul.
Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

To answer your question, Yes Jesus died. That's one of the pillars of the gospel. The gospel won't be complete without that.

By the way, I noticed that some brethren here are saying Jesus went to hell to preach the gospel to the spirits there. That's not correct. I assume the scripture they have in mind are:
I Pet 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
I Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit

A proper look at those texts will reveal that Peter meant something else. For example, the Word translated preach in I Pet 3:19 is kērussō
Definition:
to be a herald, to officiate as a herald
to proclaim after the manner of a herald
always with the suggestion of formality, gravity and an authority which must be listened to and obeyed

The proper usage being in the sense of a town crier or a public announcement.

The proper word for preaching in the Bible is euaggelizō from which we derive evangelism, evangelist etc.
Definition:
to bring good news, to announce glad tidings
used in the OT of any kind of good news
of the joyful tidings of God's kindness, in particular, of the Messianic blessings.

With this understanding, we see that Jesus didn't go to preach the gospel to the dead. That's unbiblical because Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Jesus went there to make an announcement, something like Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Notice also that the scripture use 'spirits' to describe the beings referred to in I Pet 3:19.

As regard the second text, the dead been referred to is not those that are physically dead, but spiritually dead. I think it's clear what the apostle is trying to say. The gospel. Was preached to those that are now dead. That is, they gospel was preached to them while they were alive. The preceding verses shed more light.

Jesus neither went to hell to preach thr gispel, neither did he go there because of our sins (as a sinner)
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by aigboeben(m): 7:48pm On Jan 12, 2018
Bolaji21:

In biblical terms, death means separation. Hence, physical death is separation from your body of earth.
1. Man is Spirit, soul, body. The merging of the body (dust) and spirit (breathe) in Genesis 2, precipitated the soul which is the seat of personality.
3. The Bible says, without the shedding of blood, there's no remission of sin (Hebrew 9:22).
Hence, Jesus went to the cross to shed his blood as required in Heb 9:22, which means he gave his life (since the life is in the blood Lev 17:11).

Additional info: Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Jesus is here telling us that physical death affects only the body. Only God is able to destroy the soul.
Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

To answer your question, Yes Jesus died. That's one of the pillars of the gospel. The gospel won't be complete without that.

By the way, I noticed that some brethren here are saying Jesus went to hell to preach the gospel to the spirits there. That's not correct. I assume the scripture they have in mind are:
I Pet 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
I Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit

A proper look at those texts will reveal that Peter meant something else. For example, the Word translated preach in I Pet 3:19 is kērussō
Definition:
to be a herald, to officiate as a herald
to proclaim after the manner of a herald
always with the suggestion of formality, gravity and an authority which must be listened to and obeyed

The proper usage being in the sense of a town crier or a public announcement.

The proper word for preaching in the Bible is euaggelizō from which we derive evangelism, evangelist etc.
Definition:
to bring good news, to announce glad tidings
used in the OT of any kind of good news
of the joyful tidings of God's kindness, in particular, of the Messianic blessings.

With this understanding, we see that Jesus didn't go to preach the gospel to the dead. That's unbiblical because Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Jesus went there to make an announcement, something like Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Notice also that the scripture use 'spirits' to describe the beings referred to in I Pet 3:19.

As regard the second text, the dead been referred to is not those that are physically dead, but spiritually dead. I think it's clear what the apostle is trying to say. The gospel. Was preached to those that are now dead. That is, they gospel was preached to them while they were alive. The preceding verses shed more light.

Jesus neither went to hell to preach thr gispel, neither did he go there because of our sins (as a sinner)
Thank you for your analysis , but what is the usefulness of the statement 'that they might be judged according to men in the flesh' in 1Peter 4vs6?
What are the spirits he went to preach to? Why did he have to preach to them? Your assumption of the announcement he went to make is not verifiable from scriptures. Was Jesus in anyway active for the 3days he was dead? If he was what are the details? When was the gospel made available to man? Your definition of the precipitation of the soul is very correct, but can you distinguish between the soul and spirit? Are they separate entities?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by aigboeben(m): 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2018
jeruzi:
Death is of two types

Every human experience the first, but only the unbeliever experience the second.
The death that invoves the separation from God is the reason why sinner go to hell.
Jesus said, do not fear those who kill the body, but fear God who can kill both the body and the spirit in hell.
The Scripture talks about death in the lake of fire also( they be alive in torment).

1) He died in the body.
2) He went to hell.

Also Abraham bosom is not up but under this earth. It is above hell but separated from it, so that the inhabitant of both places do not meet.

Jesus being righteous went to hell because he bore our sins.
Is Abraham's bosom same thing as paradise? What is your scriptural proof that Abraham's bosom is beneath the earth?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 7:35am On Jan 13, 2018
Bolaji21 post=g:

In biblical terms, death means separation. Hence death is ,separation from your body of earth.

Thanks for the reply Sir .

But regarding the bolded, What humans need to die for their sin is a personality or person ... Which means the soul of Jesus which is the seat of personality need to die , Did The soul ( personality ) called Jesus die ?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 7:41am On Jan 13, 2018
jeruzi:
Death is of two types

1) He died in the body.
2) He went to hell.

Jesus being righteous went to hell because he bore our sins

Thanks .

But kindly clarify something for us sir, which exactly is the seat of personality / which of either body , soul or spirit is the real person ?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 8:29am On Jan 13, 2018
Julivas:

JESUS CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS.

2 Timothy 2 : 8
Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my Gospel,

The soul called Jesus died ?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Bolaji21(m): 1:03pm On Jan 13, 2018
aigboeben:

Thank you for your analysis , but what is the usefulness of the statement 'that they might be judged according to men in the flesh' in 1Peter 4vs6?
Let me quote a less ambiguous translation:
EasyEnglish This is why even the dead people heard the good news about Christ. Their bodies had to die, as all people must die. But they heard the good news so that their *spirits could live. Their *spirits could live as God wants them to live.

The point been made here is that all people necessarily heard the gospel so they can receive judgement on the same criteria. Remember, those that lived before the advent of Christ won't be judged with the same criteria and we will because the gospel was not been preached in their own time. Apostle Peter is saying the gospel is preached to everyone, including those dead now, so that we can all be judged by the same parameter and also have the same privilege of been spirit filled being who will be raised first (1 Thess 4:16)

What are the spirits he went to preach to? Why did he have to preach to them? Your assumption of the announcement he went to make is not verifiable from scriptures. Was Jesus in anyway active for the 3days he was dead? If he was what are the details? When was the gospel made available to man?
As I said earlier, Jesus didn't go to hell to preach the gospel. He went there to make an announcement. That is what scripture sa I.e that is what apostle Peter was referring to the earlier quoted verse.
Yes, Jesus was 'active' for the 3 days he was dead. We don't know much of the details except what Peter mentioned (that he went to make an announcement). It was during this period that he went to hades. As earlier stated, death is separation, and in this case, separation from the body.

Your definition of the precipitation of the soul is very correct, but can you distinguish between the soul and spirit? Are they separate entities?
They are. That's why we say man is tripartite and that is the testimony of scripture.
1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I'll make the distinction by stating the human functions of each.
Spirit: Consists of the conscience (part of you that tells you that you're wrong) , Intuition , fellowship (part of you that can relate with spirits, this part makes relating with God possible)
Soul: Emotion, intellect, will
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Bolaji21(m): 1:08pm On Jan 13, 2018
Peacefullove:

Thanks for the reply Sir .

But regarding the bolded, What humans need to die for their sin is a personality or person ... Which means the soul of Jesus which is the seat of personality need to die , Did The soul ( personality ) called Jesus die ?

As I mentioned earlier, physical death is separation (of spirit and soul) from the body. It doesn't mean the annihilation of the soul. Jesus met that requirement of death. Pilate confirmed he was dead through a centurion.
As Jesus implied, only God can destroy the soul.
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
This destruction is only meant for people that are damned, of which Jesus is not.

To Anderson your question directly, Yes, the soul of Jesus died (was separated from the body)

1 Like

Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jeruzi(m): 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2018
aigboeben:

Is Abraham's bosom same thing as paradise? What is your scriptural proof that Abraham's bosom is beneath the earth?
Let's look at Luk.16:19-31
22. So it was that the begger died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was burried.

If we read the whole text, we would see that the rich man being in hades lifted up his eyes (I trust we all know that hades or grave is beneath)
Eph.4:8-10
When He ascended on high, He lead capitivity captive, and gave gifts to man.
NOW this, He ascended- what does it mean but that He first descended into the lower parts of the earth.
The one who descended is also the one who ascended far above all the heavens..( talking about Christ going beneath)
The rich man saw, and commun with Abraham.
Abraham's reply was that "...between us and you there is a great gulf fixed..."

That gulf serves s the partition between them. Hence
Abraham's bossom is beneath the earth, just directly above hades.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jeruzi(m): 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2018
aigboeben:

Pradise also refers to Abrahams bosom. That is were saints were kept before atonement.
The Lord Jesus told the thief that he would be with in paradise that day.

The Scripture I quoted earier indicated that Jesus didn't Just ascend but first deacended.
Eph.4:8-10
When He ascended on high, He lead capitivity captive, and gave gifts to man.
NOW this, He ascended- what does it mean but that He first descended into the lower parts of the earth.
The one who descended is also the one who ascended far above all the heavens.

John.1:18
uses the same word to refer to heaven:

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him.

so the initial context was used to show closeness to Abraham in paradise, just like the above Scripture shows Jesus' closeness to the Father.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jeruzi(m): 3:40pm On Jan 13, 2018
Peacefullove:

Thanks .

But kindly clarify something for us sir, which exactly is the seat of personality / which of either body , soul or spirit is the real person ?
The real person is the spirit, the body is the house or casing, the soul is the processing unit.

Information is being fed into the soul through the body and the spirit.

With our body we contact the pysical: whatever information we get is processed in the soul.

With our spirit we contact the spiritual. whatever information is gotten through our spirit is processed in the soul.

The Soul is the seat will, emtions,mind, intellect.

The soul is in the spirit. Both the spirit and the soul are immortal. Hence in the after life, people are contious and remembers who they are and what they had done while the body is just lifeless on earth and can no longer respond to anything.

When we study the word of God, we are enabling our soul to respond to spiritual impulses coming to us the way God wants.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by aigboeben(m): 5:38pm On Jan 13, 2018
Bolaji21:

Let me quote a less ambiguous translation:
EasyEnglish This is why even the dead people heard the good news about Christ. Their bodies had to die, as all people must die. But they heard the good news so that their *spirits could live. Their *spirits could live as God wants them to live.

The point been made here is that all people necessarily heard the gospel so they can receive judgement on the same criteria. Remember, those that lived before the advent of Christ won't be judged with the same criteria and we will because the gospel was not been preached in their own time. Apostle Peter is saying the gospel is preached to everyone, including those dead now, so that we can all be judged by the same parameter and also have the same privilege of been spirit filled being who will be raised first (1 Thess 4:16)

As I said earlier, Jesus didn't go to hell to preach the gospel. He went there to make an announcement. That is what scripture sa I.e that is what apostle Peter was referring to the earlier quoted verse.
Yes, Jesus was 'active' for the 3 days he was dead. We don't know much of the details except what Peter mentioned (that he went to make an announcement). It was during this period that he went to hades. As earlier stated, death is separation, and in this case, separation from the body.

They are. That's why we say man is tripartite and that is the testimony of scripture.
1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I'll make the distinction by stating the human functions of each.
Spirit: Consists of the conscience (part of you that tells you that you're wrong) , Intuition , fellowship (part of you that can relate with spirits, this part makes relating with God possible)
Soul: Emotion, intellect, will
Your explanation of the tripartite nature of Man is correct scripturally. Have you checked the original Bible script for that 1 Peter 4vs6? What about the idea that Christ went to preach the gospel to the Saints(spirits) that were imprisoned ? What do you say about Matthew 27 Vs 51 - 53? What criteria will be used to judge those before the manifestation of Christ?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by aigboeben(m): 5:45pm On Jan 13, 2018
jeruzi:
The real person is the spirit, the body is the house or casing, the soul is the processing unit.

With our body we contact the pysical: whatever information we get is processed in the soul.

With our spirit we contact the spiritual. whatever information is gotten through our spirit is processed in the soul.

The soul is in the spirit. Both the spirit and the soul are immortal. Hence in the after life, people are contious and remembers who they are and what they had done while the body is just lifeless on earth and can no longer respond to anything.

When we study the word of God, we are enabling our soul to respond to spiritual impulses coming to us the way God wants.
You did a good work with this post

1 Like

Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Bolaji21(m): 10:11pm On Jan 13, 2018
aigboeben:

Your explanation of the tripartite nature of Man is correct scripturally. Have you checked the original Bible script for that 1 Peter 4vs6?

Here's a less ambitious translation
I Pet 4:6 EasyEnglish This is why even the dead people heard the good news about Christ. Their bodies had to die, as all people must die. But they heard the good news so that their *spirits could live. Their *spirits could live as God wants them to live.

What about the idea that Christ went to preach the gospel to the Saints(spirits) that were imprisoned ?

As already established, that idea is not scriptural. It's just an 'idea'. Truth doesn't exist in a vacuum. The proponents of that idea must bring further scripture to support that claim. The position of scripture is that after death is judgement.

What do you say about Matthew 27 Vs 51 - 53? What criteria will be used to judge those before the manifestation of Christ?

That scripture may seem problematic to us, but it's not to the early Christians. Scripture lets us know that Jesus is the first born from the dead (Col 1:18). How? The first man to take on the immortal body. Notice I used the word man. He ascended into heaven as God-man (with physical body) So, what happened in Mat 27:51-53? Most scholars agree that it was mere sightings of those people. More like apparitions. What became of those beings later is not recorded, we can only speculate. If it were a thing of controversy, such an incidence will be mentioned in other part of scripture and might have been a bone of CO tension amidst early Christians. Well, it never was. But we can be sure it is not the future resurrection that scripture talks about.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 4:14pm On Jan 14, 2018
jeruzi:

The soul is in the spirit. Both the spirit and the soul are immortal. hence in the after life, people are contious and remembers who they are and what they had done while the body is just lifeless on earth and can no longer respond to anything.

Regarding the bolded , Spirit is the real person ... in other words, the real person called Jesus Is SPIRIT.

secondly, Spirit is immortal .

So from the two observation, Can we conclude the real person called Jesus never dies, he was immortal ?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 4:23pm On Jan 14, 2018
Bolaji21:

As I mentioned earlier, physical death is separation (of spirit and soul) from the body. It doesn't mean the annihilation of the soul. Jesus met that requirement of death. Pilate confirmed he was dead through a centurion.
As Jesus implied, only God can destroy the soul.

Regarding the bolded, check this out .

-----
He took it, with its king and all its cities. They struck them with the edge of the sword, and utterly destroyed all the souls who were in it. He left none remaining. - Joshua 10 vs 39
------

How could humans destroy souls if it's Immortal ?

Didn't Joshua destroy souls ?

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
This destruction is only meant for people that are damned, of which Jesus is not.

To Anderson your question directly, Yes, the soul of Jesus died (was separated from the body)

Don't twist anything here Sir , death is death

Soul of Jesus died , how ? Same way the body dies ?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jeruzi(m): 5:35pm On Jan 14, 2018
Peacefullove:

Regarding the bolded , Spirit is the real person ... in other words, the real person called Jesus Is SPIRIT.

So from the two observation, Can we conclude the real person called Jesus never dies, he was immortal ?
Do try and go through my first post on this topic, I explained what it means for a spirit to die. Follow the explanation and apply each aright.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jeruzi(m): 5:35pm On Jan 14, 2018
Peacefullove:

Do try and go through my first post on this topic, I explained what it means for a spirit to die. Follow the explanation and apply each aright. Thanks.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 5:51pm On Jan 14, 2018
jeruzi:
Do try and go through my first post on this topic, I explained what it means for a spirit to die. Follow the explanation and apply each aright. Thanks.

Here is what you said:

Jeruzi

death of the spirit is simply the spirit being tormented in hell

Does it mean Jesus was tormented in hell ?

When you say die as referring to body, Why do you find it hard to apply the same meaning of the exact same word " die " to Spirit ? why shift grounds ?

is the death of spirit not what is called spiritual death ?
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by luvmijeje(f): 6:49pm On Jan 14, 2018
You've ask a beautiful question. I'm going to answer by turning everything upside down. So get set.

Jesus didn't die to save man. What do I mean? John 3:16 says

For God so love the world, that He gave his only begotten son that whosoever beliveth in him will not perish but have everlasting life.

Ladies and gentlemen, believing in Him, believing in His teachings was the only qualification to be saved. And christ never preached about the cross when he was alive. The only exceptions were when He made reference about Jonah and the temple that should be pull down. If Christ death on the cross was so significant, how come he never made reference to it while on earth?

You may ask if Jesus didn't die for man to be saved, what then is the significance of His death on the cross? Isaiah 53:12 revealed the significance of His death.
Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great, And He shall divide the spoil with the strong, Because He poured out His soul unto death, And He was numbered with the transgressors, And He bore the sin of many, And made intercession for the transgressors
So let's list the significance of Christ's death using the above passage :

1. He poured out His soul unto death: obedience even at the point of death.
2. He was numbered among the transgressors: obedience even at the point of humiliation.
3. He bore the sins of many : if he had failed the test to die on that cross God would never have held His own bargain of whosoever believes in him will not perish.
4. He made intercession for the tragressors : Even at the point of death, he said, Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

If Christ had failed the above 4 tests, He will never have partaken in the blessings embedded in above verse.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jwals: 6:59pm On Jan 14, 2018
B. he died not He died the spirit did not die
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Bolaji21(m): 8:20pm On Jan 14, 2018
Peacefullove:

Regarding the bolded, check this out .

-----
He took it, with its king and all its cities. They struck them with the edge of the sword, and utterly destroyed all the souls who were in it. He left none remaining. - Joshua 10 vs 39
------

How could humans destroy souls if it's Immortal ?

Didn't Joshua destroy souls ?

Jesus is clearly telling us here that only God can DESTROY the soul. In Bible passages, souls are usually used to depict men. A quick search in your e-bible will let you know. Here's an example.

Exo 12:15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

Note that, every time, the scripture uses CUT OFF, which is another way of saying separated, not killed.

Don't twist anything here Sir , death is death

Soul of Jesus died , how ? Same way the body dies ?
I'm not trying to convince you by twisting anything. I'm telling you what scripture says, which is glaring.
You'll have to come up with a scripture that explicitly says the soul is killed or ceases to exist. I tell you, you'll find none.
The soul of Jesus 'died' by been separated from the body. If his soul died like you're trying to paint, then you'll have to tell us when this happened:

I Pet 4
 18  For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19  By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by jeruzi(m): 10:54pm On Jan 14, 2018
Peacefullove:

Here is what you said:

Does it mean Jesus was tormented in hell ?

When you say die as referring to body, Why do you find it hard to apply the same meaning of the exact same word " die " to Spirit ? why shift grounds ?

is the death of spirit not what is called spiritual death ?
What you quoted is part of what I said and not all.

First of all, you need to be open to learn something new.

There are some courses in the university that has more than one definition to a single term. That doesn't make the definitions wrong
You need to settle with the fact that the spiritual is different from the physical.

When we say a spirit is dead, it means that spirit is separated from God. Hence the spirit goes to hell after this life.

Jesus was separated from the Father because of our sins. Instead of going to heaven for His righteousness, He went to hell for our sins.

That is the same way every sinner will die (separated from God, and end in hell)
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 6:25pm On Jan 19, 2018
jeruzi:
What you quoted is part of what I said and not all.

First of all, you need to be open to learn something new.

There are some courses in the university that has more than one definition to a single term. That doesn't make the definitions wrong
You need to settle with the fact that the spiritual is different from the physical.

When we say a spirit is dead, it means that spirit is separated from God. Hence the spirit goes to hell after this life.

Jesus was separated from the Father because of our sins. Instead of going to heaven for His righteousness, He went to hell for our sins.

That is the same way every sinner will die (separated from God, and end in hell)

1. According to bible , No spirit go to hell, Spirit returns to God ... Is God in hell ?

2. Jesus return his spirit to his Father before he dies, How could his spirit have taken a different route and go to hell ? Luke 23 vs 46

3. If Jesus spirit is a person on his own, Why didn't you admit he went to heaven the same day he die , since it was said to have returned to his Father ?

4. If going by your bold a living spirit in hell is dead ( though alive ) ... tell us , was Jesus tormented in hell so we can know if his spirit dies this kind of death u talked about ?

I will be glad if you address this issues that sprang up from your post .
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 6:42pm On Jan 19, 2018
Bolaji21:

Jesus is clearly telling us here that only God can DESTROY the soul.

This is clear enough sir .

BODY was also mentioned along, Does that not tell you the destruction of soul is similar with body ?

In Bible passages, Souls are usually used to depict men . A quick search in your e-bible will let you know.

What if was also used to depict men in the case of Jesus ?

Here's an example.

Exo 12:15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

Note that, every time, the scripture uses CUT OFF, which is another way of saying separated, not killed.

Funny, But was the same CUT OFF not used in connection with animals ... I guess they are not killed ?

I'm not trying to convince you by twisting anything. I'm telling you what scripture says, which is glaring.
You'll have to come up with a scripture that explicitly says the soul is killed or ceases to exist. I tell you, you'll find none.

Joshua killed souls , is that not strong enough ?

The soul of Jesus 'died' by been separated from the body. If his soul died like you're trying to paint, then you'll have to tell us when this happened:

am not trying to paint anything, maybe its you trying to deny the facts .

dead is dead, The same Bible talks about a living soul and also a DEAD soul.

one is the opposite of another , it won't have said dead soul ... if soul doesn't die .

I Pet 4
 18  For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19  By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

it happened after he was quickened/ raise up from dead .

not while he was dead .
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 6:52pm On Jan 19, 2018
luvmijeje:
You've ask a beautiful question. I'm going to answer by turning everything upside down. So get set.

Jesus didn't die to save man. What do I mean? John 3:16 says

For God so love the world, that He gave his only begotten son that whosoever beliveth in him will not perish but have everlasting life.

Ladies and gentlemen, believing in Him, believing in His teachings was the only qualification to be saved. And christ never preached about the cross when he was alive. The only exceptions were when He made reference about Jonah and the temple that should be pull down. If Christ death on the cross was so significant, how come he never made reference to it while on earth?

You may ask if Jesus didn't die for man to be saved, what then is the significance of His death on the cross? Isaiah 53:12 revealed the significance of His death.
Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great, And He shall divide the spoil with the strong, Because He poured out His soul unto death, And He was numbered with the transgressors, And He bore the sin of many, And made intercession for the transgressors
So let's list the significance of Christ's death using the above passage :

1. He poured out His soul unto death:
obedience even at the point of death.
2. He was numbered among the transgressors: obedience even at the point of humiliation.
3. He bore the sins of many : if he had failed the test to die on that cross God would never have held His own bargain of whosoever believes in him will not perish.

4. He made intercession for the tragressors : Even at the point of death, he said, Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

If Christ had failed the above 4 tests, He will never have partaken in the blessings embedded in above verse.

Actually I didn't ask for the reason he died . am only asking about what happened when he died . Can we say he died in the true sense of it ?

the Bold part of your post even hammers the point further, How could he pour his soul to death, if that soul is immortal and cannot die ?

you yourself said pouring his soul to Death is very important, We want to know did he pour his soul to death truly ? How could an immortal soul be poured to death ?

After this we will know if what you said about the underlined is valid .
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Bolaji21(m): 7:34pm On Jan 19, 2018
Peacefullove:

This is clear enough sir .

BODY was also mentioned along, Does that not tell you the destruction of soul is similar with body ?

What if was also used to depict men in the case of Jesus ?

Funny, But was the same CUT OFF not used in connection with animals ... I guess they are not killed ?

Joshua killed souls , is that not strong enough ?

am not trying to paint anything, maybe its you trying to deny the facts .

dead is dead, The same Bible talks about a living soul and also a DEAD soul.

one is the opposite of another , it won't have said dead soul ... if soul doesn't die .

it happened after he was quickened/ raise up from dead .

not while he was dead .

I do appreciate your effort, but I don't want to argue on trivial matters of the Christian faith as it's fruitless doing so.
I do believe that if the LORD needs you or me to change your/my belief system, he has his way of ensuring that.
But I believe in the immortality of the soul as taught by the apostles and the church fathers.
Enjoy your day sir/ma.
Re: Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. by Peacefullove: 3:57pm On Jan 20, 2018
Bolaji21:

I do appreciate your effort, but I don't want to argue on trivial matters of the Christian faith as it's fruitless doing so.
I do believe that if the LORD needs you or me to change your/my belief system, he has his way of ensuring that.

But I believe in the immortality of the soul
as taught by the apostles and the church fathers.
Enjoy your day sir/ma.

No one is arguing, Just trying to be objective .

How could Jesus pour his soul to death for the sins of many if that Soul is immortal ?

Was Prophet Isaiah lying when he said the Messiah will pour his soul to death ?

How can that prophecy come to pass if the messiah has an immortal soul ?

Calls for serious reasoning .

I don't think his apostles would teach such a thing has it defeats the message they proclaim

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Is It Wrong For A Christian To Obtain A Chieftaincy Title? / Who Really Is Judas Iscariot: A Traitor Or Hero? / A Boy Who Turned 12 On 12/12/12 Labelled Anti Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.