Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha (33434 Views)

Abacha Loot: Emirs, Chiefs Consulted When Money Was Kept Overseas - Al-Mustapha / Death: Abba Kyari’s Last Moments / Laetitia Naankang Dagan's Last Moments On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by nurex01(m): 2:59am On Jun 04, 2017
Olufemi Atoyebi and Bayo Akinloye

A former Chief Security Officer to the late head of state, Gen. Sani Abacha, Major Hamza Al-Mustapha (retd.), on Saturday, claimed that the cause of death of the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election in Nigeria, Chief MKO Abiola, and the late businessman’s last moments were recorded on video.

Al-Mustapha hinted that the existence of the tape was known to a few Nigerians and also attributed his incarceration to his attempts to preserve the videotape. However, in swift reactions, a former physician to Abiola, Dr. Ore Falomo, and a human rights activist, Yinka Odumakin, dismissed Al-Mustapha’s claims as an attempt to rewrite history.

The former CSO spoke about the tape and other matters when he fielded questions shortly after he delivered the third South-West annual lecture titled, ‘Developing leadership abilities in youths’, which was organised by the Asorodayo Youth Heritage Organisation, at Lafia Hotel, Ibadan, Oyo State.

He said, “On October 21, 1998, I was arrested because of a video cassette, not because of the late Kudirat Abiola. The family of the late Abiola was, as it is, a very close family to me. But something happened, which a particular camera in the villa captured.

“So, they wanted to take the videotape and burn it so that Nigerians would not know what happened. That was the beginning of my travails.”

While he served Abacha, Al-Mustapha had a fearsome reputation for high-handedness, brutality and was widely seen as one of the most powerful men in the country. Shortly after Abacha died, his former CSO was arraigned for a long list of crimes. However, at the Ibadan event, he claimed he was persecuted because of the videotape.

He said, “For 15 years, I didn’t have the chance to defend myself in newspaper, radio and television. So, the belief was Mustapha had committed an offence, even before my arrest. But the actual thing that happened to the late MKO Abiola is in that cassette that they want to see, that is why Mustapha was subjected to punishment and I was called names. They have wanted to know the whereabouts of that tape in the last 17 years.

“I appeared before 14 judges in Lagos. As soon as the matter was about to finish, they would stop it and take us to another court. For 15 years, I was in that state. Out of the 15 years, five years and two months, I served in detention with torture. The remaining was between Ikoyi Prisons, Kirikiri Prisons and Kuje Prisons.

“Many people, particularly lawyers, took money from those who were looking for the cassette. They would go to radio and television stations to rain abuses on me, rather than coming to court. But they did not know what was going on in the court of law.”

However, the former Army Major, who did not shed light on the whereabouts of the tape, made strenuous efforts to debunk the widely held belief that he organised and superintended the assassination of the late wife of Abiola, Kudirat.

He said, “On the late Kudirat Abiola, Rogers himself confessed in a court of law along with other witnesses how much money they were given. Rogers confessed he was told to do so. He was given money. He was given a house. He was given a car every six months, and he was promised to be taken outside Nigeria. The plan was as soon as Lagos court pronounced me guilty and I was to be hanged, then they would rush me to prison and hang me without giving me the option to go for appeal. That was what happened.

“I thank God Almighty everything that happened in Lagos State Court was compiled and signed by all the 14 judges. We are putting it together. My father has already put the book together in three volumes. You will see them soon.”

Al-Mustapha said if he had been guilty of all allegations against him, his conscience would not allow him to speak about what happened in the public.

“If I am guilty, there is no way I can talk, there is no way I can get the confidence to look into their eyes because they are the bigger ones above the law in Nigeria. I am doing so. I have done it yesterday, I am doing it now and I will to do it tomorrow. If I were dishonest, I couldn’t do that.

“That is why the matter is before the Supreme Court now for appeal. We have been begging them since 2013 for the matter to be heard so that everybody can hear what happened. Up till now, the Lagos State Government ran away from it. We are begging them to come to the matter. We have nothing to hide.”

Speaking on Al-Mustapha’s latest remark, Falomo, who spoke with SUNDAY PUNCH from London, said Nigerians should ignore Abacha’s close ally.

He said, “It is not for him to tell the public why he was arraigned. It is for the Lagos State Ministry of Justice and the attorney general that handled his case to tell us exactly why he was prosecuted. Should we be listening to what Al-Mustapha says about this?

“I was in court to give evidence against him – concerning the killing of Kudirat which he was accused of. I gave evidence of how I rescued her, how she underwent an operation at EKO Hospital and how she died.

“I also described the bullet that was retrieved from her body during the operation at the hospital. To the best of my knowledge, the prosecutor, that is, the Lagos State Government, represented by an attorney general back then, presented the case very well to the judge. The judge found Al-Mustapha guilty but on appeal, he was set free. I don’t understand how he came about the fact that he was not arrested because of Kudirat’s death.

“I don’t know about the video he is talking about now. The video was never mentioned throughout the trial. When he was examined in court, he never spoke about the video.”

Also reacting to Al-Mustpaha’s claims on Saturday, a member of the defunct NADECO, Odumakin, described them as ‘lies.’

He said, “As much as facts and history are concerned, Al-Mustapha was arrested for the killing of Kudirat; he was charged alongside (Lateef) Sofolahan and others, convicted for the killing, and sentenced. He went on appeal. The appeal freed him. “But the Lagos State Government has appealed to the Supreme Court. To now say that he was not arrested and prosecuted for killing Kudirat Abiola is an attempt at rewriting history. If he can tell those lies openly, then the court now knows what he wishes to put on evidence before it.”

http://punchng.com/abiolas-death-last-moments-recorded-on-video-al-mustapha/

2 Shares

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by nurex01(m): 3:06am On Jun 04, 2017
What I just know is that all the cases being judged will be judge again on the day of recompense by the Lord of the World.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by nurex01(m): 3:08am On Jun 04, 2017
Let's know that the Time of Death is approaching everyone everyday. "Bi ojule se n mo ni Ojo Iku n sun mo. Ki Eledumaare se aforijin fun wa. Aamin

2 Likes

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Waspy(m): 3:14am On Jun 04, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by bigtt76(f): 3:44am On Jun 04, 2017
He may have been charged for Kudirat 's death but the underlying reason for his arrest was the video tape. That is the message he was trying to send out.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Jabioro: 3:54am On Jun 04, 2017
Al Mustapha is a grandfather of all twister world.. I never heard it, he never mentioned such, why would he come out this afternoon to started new dance.. Let him play the video ...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by mykelmeezy: 4:36am On Jun 04, 2017
al mustapha the great liar

as the trollz will say

video or i dont believe it

oh btw its too early to read that long shyt

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Beverages: 4:48am On Jun 04, 2017
Those who kill by. the gun must vice versa.......

Unstoppablefunds.com all the way
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by dreamwords: 4:53am On Jun 04, 2017
Ok
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by shikshark: 5:56am On Jun 04, 2017
So play the video na
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by BuariCopyPaste: 6:13am On Jun 04, 2017
It was a 2 nil in that game....

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Nutase: 6:22am On Jun 04, 2017
Hmm mm. .........what do I believe?
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Paperwhite(m): 6:31am On Jun 04, 2017
It's so nauseating to learn that this man is even nursing a presidential ambition.Nigeria really sucks. sad

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Nobody: 6:45am On Jun 04, 2017
Beverages:
Those who kill by. the gun must vice versa.......

Unstoppablefunds.com all the way
That your phrase pisses me off so badly, please take it down. A lot of noble men put their lives on the line just for you to live safely and they do that by using that same gun you are talking about.

As for Al Mustapha, produce that video and shame your detractors if not stfu.

5 Likes

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by DanseMacabre(m): 6:48am On Jun 04, 2017
Who the video wan epp?
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Beverages: 7:03am On Jun 04, 2017
SirJeffry:
That your phrase pisses me off so badly, please take it down. A lot of noble men put their lives on the line just for you to live safely and they do that by using that same gun you are talking about.

As for Al Mustapha, produce that video and shame your detractors if not stfu.

Not applicable to those you making reference to sir.

was referring to the wicked.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 04, 2017
Beverages:

Not applicable to those you making reference to sir.

was referring to the wicked.
Thank you dear, this is consoling.

2 Likes

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 04, 2017
undecided

1 Like

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by luvinhubby(m): 7:47am On Jun 04, 2017
Nigeria is a very big home movie, different characters in different plots, trying to confuse 170 million gullible audience.

1 Like

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by 989900: 7:49am On Jun 04, 2017
Al Mustafa get mind sha, if there is anything like justice in this world, him, Shofolahan, etc., should be lying 6 feet face down in an unmarked grave.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by bigerboy200: 7:53am On Jun 04, 2017
Truth is hard to find...

1 Like

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Sparkle777(f): 8:45am On Jun 04, 2017
Not again, this news is and should be kept in the archives.
Am sure it has dawned on us all that MKO will be as awful and terrible just like all our leaders, past and present, shebi the man even has a wife's association registered wt cac? Na dat Solomon una want as ruler?
The best ruler Nigeria always had are dead men.
Besides they should stop messing my birthday, June 12th up wit this Abiola ish.
Apologies to the offended.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by TheFreeOne: 9:20am On Jun 04, 2017
In a just society the likes of Al-mustapha and the military top brass/politicians that engineered Abiola death should have been 6 feet below the ground.

But unfortunately Nigeria is akin to a banana republic.

1 Like

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by ipobarecriminals: 9:41am On Jun 04, 2017
sad
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Edopesin: 9:41am On Jun 04, 2017
"in ice prince voice" - story story its time to give God Glory Video No Go Bring Life Back Ye Me Say Lalala La La Lalala La la lalala La La Laaa La

1 Like

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Olibboy: 9:41am On Jun 04, 2017
I knew this post going to reach FP.
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 04, 2017
The video won't change nofin.
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by realestniggah: 9:43am On Jun 04, 2017
I won't be surprised if AL mustapha contest for president in 2019..and he has ibori as his running mate

nigeria is a shít hole.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by LexngtonSteele: 9:43am On Jun 04, 2017
BuariCopyPaste:
It was a 2 nil in that game....

Biafra was 3 million - Nil

Before Ojukwu's marathon record to Abidjan

PS - herdsmen are getting bribed for not banging your women and slaughtering the men... yet they are doing it.

All your governors are doing - holding prayer meetings. Ask Fayose how he dealt with them when they came to Ekiti

grin grin grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Benekruku(m): 9:44am On Jun 04, 2017
nurex01:
Let's know that our MY Time of Death is approaching everyday.
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 04, 2017
x
Re: Abiola’s Death, Last Moments Recorded On Video — Al-Mustapha by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 04, 2017
Same way Akilu also said he had Awolowo death on tape

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye, Others Visits Tinubu In Abuja - Photos / Undeclared Assets: Onnoghen To Forfeit Huge Sums, Houses / MC Oluomo Wins Street Credibility Award, Nigerians React (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.