Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,012 members, 7,810,807 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Terror Attacks Strike London Bridge And Borough Market, At Least Two Dead - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Terror Attacks Strike London Bridge And Borough Market, At Least Two Dead (416 Views)

Donald Trump Lashes Out At Sadiq Khan Over London Terror Attacks / Breaking News : Terror Attack On London Bridge And Borough Market / Terror Attack Hits London Again (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Terror Attacks Strike London Bridge And Borough Market, At Least Two Dead by Larryguy(m): 3:59am On Jun 04, 2017
At least two people were killed and more than 20 people injured when a van driving at high speed mowed down pedestrians on London Bridge, before the occupants got out and began stabbing patrons at nearby bars and restaurants, in what police have declared as a terrorist attack.
Witnesses said the white van was travelling at up to 80km/h when it ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge about 10.30pm on Saturday, local time.
Minutes later, a number of men ran towards the nearby Borough Market stabbing people as they ran, witnesses said.
The attacks occurred on a Saturday night in an area where hundreds of people were enjoying themselves in bars and restaurants. Patrons threw chairs, bottles and glasses at the attackers as they used long knives to slash their way through crowds, witnesses said.
An image broadcast by the BBC showed a man, apparently one of the assailants, lying prone with what appeared to be metal canisters strapped to his body.
About three hours after the initial attacks, three loud explosions were heard near Borough Market. Police have not confirmed reports that two attackers had been shot dead by police.
The incident was ongoing in the early hours of Sunday morning, local time.
British Prime Minister Theresa May said the incidents were being treated as a potential act of terrorism.
"Following updates from police and security officials, I can confirm that the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism," May said, just over four days before voting is due to begin in a June 8 national election.
"This is a fast moving investigation.
"I want to express my huge gratitude to the police and emergency services who are on the scene. Our thoughts are with those who are caught up in these dreadful events."
Just before 12.30am, local time, Metropolitan Police declared the two attacks to be terrorist incidents.
British Transport Police say there were multiple casualties, while the BBC said police had confirmed that more than one fatality had occurred.
London Ambulance Service tweeted a statement saying it had taken "at least 20 patients to six hospitals across London."
London Bridge
The first attack involved a van mowing down pedestrians on London Bridge.
The BBC said one of its journalists, Holly Jones, was on the bridge at the time and said the van was "probably travelling at about 50 miles an hour (80km/h)". Jones estimated about five people were injured after the van mounted the gutter.
"He swerved right round me and then hit about five or six people. He hit about two people in front of me and then three behind," Ms Jones told the BBC News Channel.
She said the van, which was travelling from the direction of central London, headed towards the south side of the river.
Witnesses also reported hearing gunshots at the bridge around 10.30pm, local time.
"I heard many gunshots and I heard people running away," said Joe Dillon, 23, who was near London Bridge when the incident occurred.
"Police officers were shouting: 'Get out of here, you need to go!' I heard at least eight rounds of gunshots, but I'm not sure who was shooting. When I arrived a second after I had heard the screams and the shots, I saw five or six officers running toward the van."
One witness told Reuters that she saw what appeared to be three people with knife wounds and possibly their throats cut. Police have not confirmed this report.
The managing editor of the Spectator magazine, Will Heaven, tweeted that he was on London Bridge and saw "injured pedestrians, first responders, armed police, people running north".

http://www.smh.com.au/world/london-bridge-closed-amid-reports-van-has-ploughed-into-pedestrians-20170603-gwjwqz
Re: Terror Attacks Strike London Bridge And Borough Market, At Least Two Dead by chuose: 4:35am On Jun 04, 2017
na wa oh!
na them again.
Re: Terror Attacks Strike London Bridge And Borough Market, At Least Two Dead by AroOkigbo(m): 4:37am On Jun 04, 2017
chuose:
na wa oh!
na them again.
Who else e for be? grin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

President Putin Signs New Law To Stop Russians From Accessing Prohibited Website / Some Facts About Us-russia Sanctions / Ugandan Man Decides To Save His Mobile Phones Instead Of A Drowning Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.