Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. (738 Views)

Tech Innovations That Can Help Tackle Youth Unemployment In Nigeria / 10 Ways To Reduce Unemployment In Nigeria / Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 05, 2017
It’s heartbreaking how the media and society have painted Nigerian Graduates. Enough of the demeaning articles about Nigerian graduates and how unemployable we are. Enough of the rants about how impatient and uncultured we are. Enough about all the ridiculous things that has been said about us.

To whom much is given, much is expected they say. Very little has been given and very little should be expected.

Below are 5 reason Nigerian graduates find after-school life very difficult.

1. Our education institutions are disgusting.

Most of us knew this before we arrived campus, we were still blown away by the ridiculous state of our institution nonetheless. Students sitting on bare floor is now a normal thing on campus. School getting closed for months doesn’t even raise eyebrow, it’s business as usual.
It’s appalling that the only ranked University in Nigeria (University of Ibadan) sits outside the top 800 in the world, Covenant University graduates will be surprised to hear this, sorry. My lecturer back in school (2013) handed me a handout he handwrote in 1989, the date was neatly written at the top right corner of the handout. I was sad to my soul, even more so I was being taught Computer Aided Designing. I don’t think it’s entirely my fault if I failed this course.

2. Zero research and knowledge improvement from our Institutions.

How can the link between universities and industries be strengthened in Nigeria when there is no link in the first place?

The primary objective of the university –industry linkage should be the applicability and adoption of technological research and development in the agreed areas of interest instead of producing many intellectual works with minimal or no impact on company productivity or Innovation.
Unfortunately, Nigeria exemplifies the whole idea of research. In virtually all the universities in the country, little or no attention is paid to research. The little fund often budgeted for research in the public universities is hardly accounted for. To worsen matters, industries too hardly contribute to research and ironically help in stifling the climate for innovation. It's not entirely Nigerian Graduates’ fault we have nothing or little to contribute upon graduating.

3. Hard work is very much unappreciated.

It’s a shame hard work isn’t appreciated or duly rewarded in Nigeria. Attached above is a picture Mr Adeyemo Kazeem, best Graduating student with CGPA 4.81 from the Department of Civil Engineering, Osun state University being presented with a Mug by the State Governor Rauf Aregbesola, and the Vice Chancellor of the University Professor Oguntola Jelili Alamu. A mug, sold for less than #1,000 as a reward for the best graduating student is rather ridiculous. I thought Big Brother Naija (BBN) was entertaining too but #25million prize for a reality TV show compared to a Mug is unforgivable.

4. Little faith in our abilities. HRs prefer graduates from the abroad.

Imagine making it to the interview stage of a Graduate Trainee position at a multinational firm alongside a Cranfield graduate, as a Proud U.I graduate, you have to be exceptionally good to stand a chance. Curriculum of schools abroad (even the common Ghana) are better than the best schools here in Nigeria, these isn’t the fault of a Nigeria Graduate. With increasing efflux of Nigerians to get the abroad certificate, the job competition is going to be even more difficult for Nigerian’s that choose to buy Nigeria.

5. Nepotism is at an all time high.

It’s okay to have an unemployed cousin that has been disturbing you for a job, the average Nigeria Graduate has a well connected and wicked Uncle that has refused to give us jobs too. Not following due process is where we default. You can use your connection as the HR Manager or Recruiter to invite your sibling or family for the interview, not being fair to the best candidate at the interview is not just inhuman but it questions your professionalism as an HR professional. Good companies need the best brains to survive, these right here is one of the contributing factors to Nigerian Firm’s downfall. It’s not a Nigerian fault that HR Professionals ain’t professionals after all.

It’s not entirely the fault of we Nigerian Graduates that we are not as good as we should be. Our Tertiary Institutions, government, and Private Organizations, have a part to play and should take responsibility.

cc Lalasticlala

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by frenzydilz(m): 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2017
You couldn't have put it better
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by abdeiz(m): 3:07pm On Jun 05, 2017
Well laid out points and as a graduate of a Federal university I agree with all your points.
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 05, 2017
frenzydilz:
You couldn't have put it better

Thank you wink
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 3:39pm On Jun 05, 2017
Op I disagree with you on some points!!

They prefer foreign graduates because they have the real skills.!!

How many of our computer science students can come out as gurus once they are done with school?

The country is filled with unemployed graduates, so what differentiates you from the rest?

What skills do our graduates have that will force HRs to hire them at all cost?

There are jobs but a lot of graduates don't have the skills to fill it up!!

In my firm, we retain graduates that we train because we believe they now have the skills!!

Once again, let me invite you to a free seminar on web design and web development on Friday and Saturday.

Do well to attend. Chat me up using the contact below!!

You can also read.... http://topwritersden.com/life-average-graduate-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by ggoldmine: 3:58pm On Jun 05, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:
Op I disagree with you on some points!!

They prefer foreign graduates because they have the real skills.!!

How many of our computer science students can come out as gurus once they are done with school?

The country is filled with unemployed graduates, so what differentiates you from the rest?

What skills do our graduates have that will force HRs to hire them at all cost?

There are jobs but a lot of graduates don't have the skills to fill it up!!

In my firm, we retain graduates that we train because we believe they now have the skills!!

Once again, let me invite you to a free seminar on web design and web development on Friday and Saturday.

Do well to attend. Chat me up using the contact below!!

All you've said still boils down to what OP mentioned as number 2. What you're inviting him for are learned in most institutions/universities abroad but here in Nigeria, how many institutions offering computer science can boast of web design as a course?

Nigeria's educational system is too backward!
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 4:20pm On Jun 05, 2017
ggoldmine:

All you've said still boils down to what OP mentioned as number 2. What you're inviting him for are learned in most institutions/universities abroad but here in Nigeria, how many institutions offering computer science can boast of web design as a course?

Nigeria's educational system is too backward!

Even a dead man knows that the Nigerian educational system is bullshitt...but some graduates are still living in self-denial, thinking that HRs are unfair to them.

Checkout most of the young guys that land quality jobs, after their names, all you keep seeing are {CCNP, ITIL, MCSA, PMP,}. They worked for what they wanted in life and they got the result.

While the rest are scrambling for the job of receptionists or just "Any JOb"
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria, The Unheard Side Of The Heartbreaking Tale. by anthney87: 8:23am On Jun 06, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

Even a dead man knows that the Nigerian educational system is bullshitt...but some graduates are still living in self-denial, thinking that HRs are unfair to them.

Checkout most of the young guys that land quality jobs, after their names, all you keep seeing are {CCNP, ITIL, MCSA, PMP,}. They worked for what they wanted in life and they got the result.

While the rest are scrambling for the job of receptionists or just "Any JOb"

For your mind because u don acquire more than others and opportunity smile for u now u for say Nigerian graduates no de qualified?

Do you think everyone have the same opportuinit as you?

You know how many struggled to finish school?
Then going to do the so called PMP, ORACLE, JAVA and other professional course with atleast 50k is easy?

Some professional courses cost at least 150k.

What about the environment? Many people are in different states far away from the cities that provides few and less opportunities.

Now what abt the courses some of us read at school? Where is the job now for microbiologist biochemist and science lab tech? Med lab has succeeded in pushing them out of market and how do u expect them to now become professionals. Most of them have now been relegates to the teaching job in a bid to survive thereby limiting them to a lot of things.

Nigeria now have a basic common market just for IT professionals medicine nursing and pharmacy. Law and accounting also feasible but for most other courses aside engineering is like learning for the b. Sc name alone.

Most graduates now delve into different fields which most times does not correlate with their field of study thereby also reducing their employability.

OP is very right in his writeup and a lot has to b done

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Direction From X To Y: Nairaland Road Direction / Young And Smart Candidate Required! / Vacancy For An Office Secretary At Victoria Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.