Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,976 members, 7,817,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? (1940 Views)

. / Young Farmers Cooperative Society In Abeokuta / How White Zimbabwean Farmers Are Revolutionising Poultry Production In Kwara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? by wale4x35(m): 9:21am On Dec 13, 2005
I learnt that some Zimbabwean white farmers are now in Kwara state.

How are they doing? I mean
[list]
[li]Are they coping well?[/li]
[li]Do we see them rescuing our ailing agricultural sector?[/li]
[/list]

Please advice.
Re: Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? by delarontus(f): 11:11am On Dec 13, 2005
They have settled in Edu LGA of Kwara State and have since commenced farming. They were given several hectares of land to farm and compensation paid to the local farmers. In addition they have developed parts of the area to be used as dwelling places and they are importing their farm machinery. This gives the locals an advantage to learn mechanised farming and innovative techniques which the Zimbabweans are using. The Zimbs also pay the locals for direct labour which is a good source of income to the farmers and their children because what they do is to work on their own farms and then go the Zimbs and also work for them for a fee.

I think the minimum wage now is $10. Since the Zimbs have also relocated thier family, there is the likelihood of the women taking part in community development.
Re: Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? by demmy(m): 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2005
Relocating those whites in Kwara was one of the smartest move by Obasanjo and Saraki. Thats a long time dividend right there.
Re: Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? by wale4x35(m): 7:45pm On Dec 13, 2005
Thanks delarontus,
I am happy to hear and read that they are finally settling down.

To the doubting Thomas(es), Nigeria would be great again. Eating 3 square meal is not a concern to an average person on the street in the SADC countries.

If we give all the necessary support to these Zimbs, I am very sure, hunger would definitely be a thing of the past.

Thanks once again delarontus for the feedback.
Re: Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? by vichel(m): 5:36pm On Feb 03, 2006
Which whites? am a little bit confused, because i know one time the Zimbabwe president asked the White Zimbabweans to relinquish some of the lands they own because the majority blacks are starving, and no lands to farm on. My question is did he ask them to Leave?, or did some of them leave on their own and decided to settle in Nigeria?. I would like to the understand full details before i make any comments, because am a little bit undecided undecided
Re: Zimbabwean White Farmers: how are they doing? by Seun(m): 5:05am On Feb 05, 2006
Yes, vichel, they were invited to Nigeria after being expelled from Zimbabwe! I applaud the move because they have brought their experience here and as settlers they are contributing to the economy as much as any Nigerians in the same business would be.

(1) (Reply)

Chinatown Nigeria / 7 Things Walmart Will Bring To Nigeria / Roll-up Stand For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.