Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,916 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Please Help Me Learn My Cultures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Please Help Me Learn My Cultures (437 Views)

HELP Me Learn Esan!! / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Learn My Cultures by NewOmoNaija: 8:09pm On Jun 06, 2017
Greetings to all,

Like many African Americans, I have also gotten my AncestryDNA analyzed and I was very happy to find out that I have ancestry from all regions of Africa, but most significantly from Ghana and Nigeria. Growing up, I was always around Africans (mostly Senegal, Guinea, and Ivory Coast) and my parents always emphasized the beauty and glory of African cultures in general since we didn't know where we were from really.

I have been learning about Yoruba, Wolof, and Mandinka cultures throughout my life (yes, I know the latter two are not a part of Nigeria), but I want to learn more about my Igbo roots as well. From my DNA results, it seems that I have a good representation of both Yoruba and Igbo bloodlines, so I'd like to have a good knowledge of both.

My ancestors were forcibly separated from all of their cultures, so my goal is to assemble information on as many of those cultures as possible for future generations so we will never lose it again. Please help me heal my family with any information you can share.

Edit: I am especially interested in traditional religions. I was very fortunate to grow up with exposure to Lucumi and Traditional Isese as well as to syncretic Islam from Senegal and Ivory Coast, but I am also interested in learning about Odinani, Akan, Kongo, and any other tradition anyone may know about.
Re: Please Help Me Learn My Cultures by Afonjashapmouth: 8:22pm On Jun 06, 2017
Hit me up if you wants some tips about Yoruba and our culture
Re: Please Help Me Learn My Cultures by olaniyi0(m): 8:44pm On Jun 06, 2017
Lalasticlala Mynd44 Seun Oya come o, there is a new guy in the building that needs help.
Re: Please Help Me Learn My Cultures by Tellemall: 8:54pm On Jun 06, 2017
Of what use is culture when the world is becoming one?

Culture only divides.

(1) (Reply)

Cameroonians Hate Being Bullied? / Afia Olu Nnewi; Preserve, Improve, Invent; Ezeemo, Igboezue Advocate / How Did You Cope With The Loss Of Your Mother?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.