Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,803 members, 7,827,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels (818 Views)

The Five Extreme Plagues In Sokoto - © Vowels Onyeka / The Bang Rule Pdf File Pls / THE BANG RULE : How To Be A Romantic King (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Millz404(m): 6:32am On Jun 07, 2017
Many people adhere to a belief that you use the article “a” before words that begin with consonants and “an” before words that begin with vowels. But that isn’t the rule, and it’s important to avoid this rookie mistake before turning over your manuscript to agents and editors or day to day conversations.

The real rule is this: You use the article “a” before words that start with a consonant sound and “an” before words that start with a vowel sound. For example, He has a unique point of view on the subject and talked about it for an hour. The “u” in “unique” makes the “Y” sound—a consonant sound—therefore you use “a” as your article, while the “h” in “hour” sounds like it starts with “ow”—a vowel sound.

Abbreviations

Deciding which version you should use with abbreviations is the tricky part. First of all you need to understand if the abbreviation is pronounced as a single word or letter by letter.

While we say “a light-water reactor,” the abbreviation is “an LWR.”

Similarly, you should use “an NBC reporter” (because “NBC” is pronounced “enbisi”) and “a NATO authority” (because “NATO” begins with a “ne” sound).

Lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by DanseMacabre(m): 6:39am On Jun 07, 2017
Nice one. Also tell these folks that keep on using 'an' for words beginning with 'h': an hotel, an hospital, etc.

An is only used before a word beginning with 'h' when the 'h' is silent and followed by a vowel sound, eg an hour, an honour etc.

1 Like

Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by ANIEXTY(m): 6:53am On Jun 07, 2017
Ok
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by OfficialAwol(m): 6:56am On Jun 07, 2017
This is awesome. Settled a confusion in my head.

lala
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 07, 2017
Learnt something new, English and it's many rules
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Divepen1(m): 8:43am On Jun 07, 2017
DanseMacabre:
Nice one. Also tell these folks that keep on using 'an' for words beginning with 'h': an hotel, an hospital, etc.

An is only used before a word beginning with 'h' when the 'h' is silent and followed by a vowel sound, eg an hour, an honour etc.
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by kingphilip(m): 4:05pm On Jun 07, 2017
Another phase of the imported language

Abeg make no body mention me o

Na me go Finally bury English
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Divepen1(m): 4:07pm On Jun 07, 2017
kingphilip:
Another phase of the imported language

Abeg make no body mention me o

Na me go Finally bury English
I go quote you..
But the initiative is good and that's the essence of upcoming novel.. Language is our culture. If we allow English take all that right from us, we are returning to slavery with nobody to ever fight it.
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by kingphilip(m): 4:15pm On Jun 07, 2017
Divepen1:
I go quote you..
But the initiative is good and that's the essence of upcoming novel.. Language is our culture. If we allow English take all that right from us, we are returning to slavery with nobody to ever fight it.
and I believe wan learn how to write story that year o but laziness sha no gree me
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Divepen1(m): 4:16pm On Jun 07, 2017
kingphilip:
and I believe wan learn how to write story that year o but laziness sha no gree me
You fit still learn oo.. There are many opportunities oo
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by kingphilip(m): 4:23pm On Jun 07, 2017
Divepen1:
You fit still learn oo.. There are many opportunities oo
opportunity like which and which
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Divepen1(m): 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2017
kingphilip:
opportunity like which and which
on different sites. And if you can wait, I'll resume my regular fiction jagbajantis
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by kingphilip(m): 4:28pm On Jun 07, 2017
Divepen1:
on different sites. And if you can wait, I'll resume my regular fiction jagbajantis
I will

Thanks for the opportunity
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Divepen1(m): 4:29pm On Jun 07, 2017
kingphilip:
I will
Thanks for the opportunity
You're welcome o..
Re: The Rule Is Not “A” Before Consonants And “an” Before Vowels by Galacious1: 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2017
English wahala too much. Me just dey murder ni o. No lele sha.

(1) (Reply)

Can A Stage Act Be Good Without (good) Mics? / Brand New 2008 Hp Laptops For N20,000 / Poems With Political Undertone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.