Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,072 members, 7,849,350 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:12 PM

Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? (2751 Views)

How Do I Make My Dog To Be Aggressive? Please Help. / Caucasian Vs Rottweiler - Which Is More Aggressive? / My Dog May Die Soon From A Snake Poison, Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2017
I've got a pet dog that is very aggressive. I tried to socialize and let him play with people living around us and he bonds well but he surprises me at times.

My neighbors are very fond of him, always playing with and even feeding him but I have noticed that he doesn't eat their food also I hear he cuts his chain and pursues people sometimes, a few days ago i heard it barking at a neighbor he sees often(he usually shouldn't do this)

Recently, after picking his plate and I wanted to give him food but my neighbor offered to do it instead, he then took his plate and placed it in his cage, the next thing I knew my dog started growling and almost bit him, this is a guy that plays with him very often, what could be wrong with my dog?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by RoyalBlak007: 12:40pm On Jun 10, 2017
♤See a veterinarian

♤Before it gets outta hand

4 Likes

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by tman14(m): 12:53pm On Jun 10, 2017
Get your dog an appointment with the vet immediately. You can be criminally liable for your dog's action!

4 Likes

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
Hmmm, so the Vet will give my dog an injection that will calm him down or what? I was thinking in terms of involving him in more exercise routines, at the moment I keep forgetting to take him for walks, will it help if I start doing this more often?
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Baroba(m): 11:20pm On Jun 10, 2017
Pidgin2:
Hmmm, so the Vet will give my dog an injection that will calm him down or what? I was thinking in terms of involving him in more exercise routines, at the moment I keep forgetting to take him for walks, will it help if I start doing this more often?

Join us at sell and buy dogs Facebook page, admin will get you the right person to help out.. Am not quite sure what a vet will do in this case..

2 Likes

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by toslex00001: 3:30am On Jun 11, 2017
Canine distemper .... The vet may give him this ... And also maybe antirabis
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Namdeenero(m): 10:53am On Jun 11, 2017
Obviously you have not trained your dog well enough and you let him become alpha that's the main reason he chases your neighbors even when they are playmates. Dogs are like wolves, the alpha always eats first before the others and tend to snarl at any member of the pack that comes close while they are eating that's why your dog snarled at your friend(if you want to confirm this yourself, just toss meat or bone with lil flesh to your dog and when he settles to eat you try to remove the bone. Pls note that you might get bitten in the process and i will not be held liable for that).. Now all you have to do to correct such behavioural issues is to let your dog know you are the alpha by manning up and acting the fvck like one! angry angry Play tug of war with your dog but always end up with rope or any material you're using, teach your dog to sit before you while you eat, before feeding your dog instruct him to sit and stay even when the food is directly infront of him.. And most importantly, when your dog tries to snarl at you you ginger him very well( i didn't say hit) just scold him.

Early socialization and training is key to having a balance dog, Pls which breed of dog is that??

5 Likes

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by knyte(m): 11:30am On Jun 11, 2017
RoyalBlak007:
♤See a veterinarian

♤Before it gets outta hand
A vet for what pls

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by knyte(m): 11:32am On Jun 11, 2017
Namdeenero:
Obviously you have not trained your dog well enough and you let him become alpha that's the main reason he chases your neighbors even when they are playmates. Dogs are like wolves, the alpha always eats first before the others and tend to snarl at any member of the pack that comes close while they are eating that's why your dog snarled at your friend(if you want to confirm this yourself, just toss meat or bone with lil flesh to your dog and when he settles to eat you try to remove the bone. Pls note that you might get bitten in the process and i will not be held liable for that).. Now all you have to do to correct such behavioural issues is to let your dog know you are the alpha by manning up and acting the fvck like one! angry angry Play tug of war with your dog but always end up with rope or any material you're using, teach your dog to sit before you while you eat, before feeding your dog instruct him to sit and stay even when the food is directly infront of him.. And most importantly, when your dog tries to snarl at you you ginger him very well( i didn't say hit) just scold him.

Early socialization and training is key to having a balance dog, Pls which breed of dog is that??
Very well written, not been seeing you only again. Hope all is well

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 11, 2017
Namdeenero:

Thanks, you are right on the issue of training, I will need to start correcting bad behavior. It's a gsd mixed with a local dog but it's character is like a pure gsd, he's security conscious and fearless even if he's being challenged

His training will start from today
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Namdeenero(m): 3:23pm On Jun 11, 2017
knyte:

Very well written, not been seeing you only again. Hope all is well
Thank you sir, All is well. I'm preparing to write my final year exams that's why i've not been online for a while
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Namdeenero(m): 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2017
Pidgin2:

Thanks, you are right on the issue of training, I will need to start correcting bad behavior. It's a gsd mixed with a local dog but it's character is like a pure gsd, he's security conscious and fearless even if he's being challenged

His training will start from today
That's the spirit. You can look up some other methods online too.. Goodluck smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 11, 2017
Namdeenero:
That's the spirit. You can look up some other methods online too.. Goodluck smiley

Thanks again, like I said I will put your advice into practice. It was wagging it's tail and sitting to wait for me to give it food today, after I gave it to him, I removed it's plate(while it was eating) and kept it somewhere else, it only followed me excitedly, that dog is unpredictable.

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Namdeenero(m): 8:24pm On Jun 11, 2017
Pidgin2:

Thanks again, like I said I will put your advice into practice. It was wagging it's tail and sitting to wait for me to give it food today, after I gave it to him, I removed it's plate(while it was eating) and kept it somewhere else, it only followed me excitedly, that dog is unpredictable.
Don't forget the basic obedience training too

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by knyte(m): 7:02am On Jun 12, 2017
Namdeenero:
Thank you sir, All is well. I'm preparing to write my final year exams that's why i've not been online for a while
Oh, okay. All the best

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by omosefeeguaibor(f): 11:23pm On Jun 12, 2017
Namdeenero:

you are not far from the truth cos my dog was given the above training when he was misbehaving @ a point, luckily for me he is cooperating to the fullest. I suggest you try the above help rendered op.

1 Like

Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 4:07am On Jun 13, 2017
toslex00001:
Canine distemper has nothing to do with a dog's attitude or should I say temper

I would want to know
1. Breed of dog
2 age of dog
3. How old it was when you got it
4. If this behavior is sudden, has it been from puppyhood
5. Did you socialize when it was a puppy
Then I will know what to do
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by seyi200(m): 7:42am On Jun 13, 2017
toslex00001:

The Doctor LOLZZZZ
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 13, 2017
CoolSmithz:

Canine distemper has nothing to do with a dog's attitude or should I say temper

I would want to know
1. Breed of dog
2 age of dog
3. How old it was when you got it
4. If this behavior is sudden, has it been from puppyhood
5. Did you socialize when it was a puppy
Then I will know what to do

Thanks, it's a gsd local dog mix, it's 2 years 5 months, the behavior is sudden to me because I adopted it from an abusive owner who was always beating it before feeds, yes the dog has been well socialized since birth (the former owner is a close friend) It's been a very good guard dog so far but too aggressive for my liking
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

Thanks, it's a gsd local dog mix, it's 2 years 5 months, the behavior is sudden to me because I adopted it from an abusive owner who was always beating it before feeds, yes the dog has been well socialized since birth (the former owner is a close friend) It's been a very good guard dog so far but too aggressive for my liking
The answer lies there just before you, you just said it all, I suspected you didn't raise the pup from puppyhood, when you got the dog it has already gotten to adult stage, apart from that adult dogs flaunt rules a times, talk less of a dog you didn't raise from the start, from the torture it went through from the previous owner, it doesn't trust anybody anymore, I know the previous owner won't be the only one maltreating the dog, people around him has done the same , so at this point your dog trusts no one, the solution is it needs gentle re-introduction and re-socialization, don't trust anybody if they tell you a dog is well socialized, get back to me with observations and results, thank you.
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 13, 2017
CoolSmithz:

The answer lies there just before you, you just said it all, I suspected you didn't raise the pup from puppyhood, when you got the dog it has already gotten to adult stage, apart from that adult dogs flaunt rules a times, talk less of a dog you didn't raise from the start, from the torture it went through from the previous owner, it doesn't trust anybody anymore, I know the previous owner won't be the only one maltreating the dog, people around him has done the same , so at this point your dog trusts no one, the solution is it needs gentle re-introduction and re-socialization, don't trust anybody if they tell you a dog is well socialized, get back to me with observations and results, thank you.

Thanks, I will do what you've suggested, I will surely update on any improvements
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Lmlife: 10:10am On Jun 28, 2017
Post the picture please.

Any update?
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 28, 2017
Lmlife:
Post the picture please.

Any update?

Yes, it bit the same guy two days ago, they told me yesterday sad I'm not happy at all. I've invited a vet over. After telling them to keep off it till we can ascertain what the problem is, I saw them playing with it again yesterday. This dog is aggressive but they all want to prove that he knows and likes them
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Lmlife: 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2017
Pidgin2:

Yes, it bit the same guy two days ago, they told me yesterday sad I'm not happy at all. I've invited a vet over. After telling them to keep off it till we can ascertain what the problem is, I saw them playing with it again yesterday. This dog is aggressive but they all want to prove that he knows and likes them

It's a good thing you invited the vet.

I hope you have given your dog antirabis..

Eeyah!! It is well
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by Lmlife: 10:03pm On Jun 28, 2017
Update us ! And hope for the best
Re: Why Is My Dog So Aggressive? by AfonjaConehead: 12:12pm On Oct 05, 2017
I lv aggressive dogs grin

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds Based On Bite Fatalities / American Cocker Spaniel Pups Available / See What An Innocent Python Swallowed And Died. (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.