Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? (13125 Views)

Mike Bamiloye Has This For Nigerian Artistes Who Left Church For Secular Music / Lady Beaten And Injured In Taraba Church For Not Dressing Properly / Man Sent Out Of Lagos Church For Wearing This (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Opinionated: 8:32am On Jun 11, 2017
By Oyebamiji Okiki

Started from the church now we’here! This should be the mantra of some of the biggest artistes Nigeria has ever produced. From Terry G to Timaya, Wizkid to Wande Coal, even Don Jazzy! The list is endless. They all started from the church, but didn’t stay in the church. Some started out as drummers, keyboardist or praise and worship leaders. But what happened to them? Why did they leave the church to seek for greener pastures?

Coming from a faith based perspective, it will be painful and disheartening, to see the young chap that used to lead praise and worship in your local assembly, spraying dollar bills and dancing with almost nude ladies, in music videos. How did he turn out to become this? Well, our brothers in the “secular” music industry will never agree to the aforementioned opinion, as they feel justified with their actions. Why won’t they; these guys can buy the whole church and pay the pastor’s salary, for God’s sake! At this juncture, I will like to assert that this piece is not meant to spur a holy crusade (or a jihad) against secular music artistes, but to ask some pertinent questions on why the church has failed to keep its best musical talent(s).

I now understand better what clubs like Atletico Madrid and Tottenham face every season. They produce bright players; bring them to limelight only for them to be sold to richer clubs (not necessarily better though), and this cycle continues season after season. It is not too far-fetched to say that the church has become an academy (or a breeding ground) where the secular world comes to pick budding talents as they so desire. And the church looks on……helplessly?! To make matters worse, the church (not generalizing) invites these entertainers to come perform on its hallowed and ecclesiastical alter. The moral laxity of the church seems to have reached an all-time low. My unreserved apologies if I sound irate.

A popular Nigerian music star who hails from the South-East Nigeria, once decided to show his philanthropic side, by donating high-end musical instruments to the church he started out from. There is nothing wrong in his magnanimity, even the holy book says the clergy shall eat from the riches of the gentiles. What I find appalling is the hypocrisy behind such acts. While such artistes are welcomed with open arms to the church (no problem about that, the church is a hospital for the sinners), clergy men preach against their music and actions (especially the baby mama syndrome). But while they are on the altar, their sons and daughters are miming and dancing to the latest secular music in town. Not to forget the ones with lewd and polluted lyrics. This is the irony of the century!

When asked: what was the transition like from the church to the secular music? A popular artiste (name withheld) said “if you listen to my songs, you will see that I am always thankful to God. My relationship with God is private…”. This is the same artiste that has songs with lyrics that says the exact opposite to his statement. I do not want to be judgmental, but shouldn’t your relationship with God reflect in your song? I again reiterate my earlier stated assertion that I have no qualms with secular music and the entertainment industry at large; in fact these songs have put Nigeria on the international scene, with billboard charting and award winning songs. This industry deserves accolades as facts have shown that it is one of the highest revenue generating sectors in Nigeria.

So as not to present myself as infallible, I am somewhat of an admirer of some secular artistes and their songs, as I am occasionally caught in the web of indecision between secular music I shouldn’t listen to and my moral cum spiritual background. Most youths will surely empathize with me on this. Even though I do not have these songs on my gadget, the radio is a necessary evil that dishes out hit tracks upon hit tracks. Even as I write, the television is currently playing the song of one the artistes I talked about, and I am unconsciously dancing to the tune! Well, like the apostle rightly said, things I don’t want to do, I usually find myself doing it and vice versa.

If these secular musicians have stayed in the church would they have made it? Would they have stuck to the style of music they are doing if it were in the gospel genre? These are questions lingering in the air, waiting to be answered.

So as not to sound critical without proffering solutions, I will opine that the church provides the platform and incentives needed to make the ever-growing talents want to give their all. Rick Warren said “the church has to be contemporary without comprising”, a statement I totally concur with. It is time the church start to organize programs that will rub shoulders with the likes of Glo Music Fest, the Headies and Grammys. I know there is the yearly Experience music concert, but that is not enough. Also youths in the church should not be in a hurry to blow, all in the name of hustle, as a lot shenanigans goes on in the music industry, but it is well hidden because they hide under the facade of entertainment. They (youths in the church) should draw inspiration from the success stories of people like Frank Edward, Eben, Nathaniel Bassey and others.

Stick to the game and at the end, it will surely speak. (In Professor Johnbull’s voice), over and out!

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/artistes-leave-church-stardom/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by sonofluc1fer: 8:37am On Jun 11, 2017
Bros, music is music. When I see nude girls on screen, I see the beauty of God's work. I don't know what you see.
When I hear good music, I appreciate man's creativity. You don't need to put 'GOD' in the music, for it to be spiritual.

On my way to church of Satan for Sunday School. You're invited. Free Gala(hungry man size) and Sprite at the end of service.

17 Likes

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by ScepticalPyrrho: 8:39am On Jun 11, 2017
Music cuts across all boundaries...
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by NwaAmaikpe: 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2017
shocked

The truth is...

Life outside the church is sweeter for musicians.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2017
Good question
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by brunofarad(m): 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2017
Shey u go pay their bills ni

3 Likes

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by kenbee(f): 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2017
The Reason? The love of money!

5 Likes

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Iloveafrica: 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2017
Wetin concern me? grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by jhydebaba(m): 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2017
Dey dont wanna be as poor as church rats

1 Like

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2017
k
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by tochivitus(m): 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2017
because you are famous don't stop you from your normal church activities. Some even claim too busy, because the their back alert is fat. Some of them lack understanding. especially those that broke out from the choir

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by blaquebelle: 1:18pm On Jun 11, 2017
They r two dfrnt things
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by dingbang(m): 1:18pm On Jun 11, 2017
Gospel music won't put 30billion in you akkant... Ya feel me?

8 Likes

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by babablogger: 1:18pm On Jun 11, 2017
Check out reasons I will hate Nigeria if I wasn't Nigerian

http://www.babasalami.com/2017/06/reasons-i-will-hate-nigeria-if-i-wasnt.html
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by blaquebelle: 1:19pm On Jun 11, 2017
sonofluc1fer:
Bros, music is music. When I see nude girls on screen, I see the beauty of God's work. I don't know what you see.
When I hear good music, I appreciate man's creativity. You don't need to put 'GOD' in the music, for it to be spiritual.

On my way to church of Satan for Sunday School. You're invited. Free Gala(hungry man size) and Sprite at the end of service.
stupid logic grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Iloveafrica: 1:19pm On Jun 11, 2017
flaskun:
Cuz God has bigger plans for them

1 Like

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Yblaze: 1:20pm On Jun 11, 2017
God wan use them outside church... Kos last last na devil go dey use dem inside church via fornication

1 Like

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Rick9(m): 1:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
How many church have a Record Label like Christ Embassy that can manage their artistes and promote them to the mainstream audience ? why have Sinnach not left LoveWorld Records ? let the church build Record Labels to Promote Gospel Acts.

Music is more than singing, it has to be promoted a Record label is one channel through which music is promoted, how many church have world class music studios / instruments ?

12 Likes

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Mujtahida: 1:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
When the church preaches money then it follows that money is their God and since money is everywhere the church groomed musicians go out to find it
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by donqx: 1:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
hmmmmm
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by seunny4lif(m): 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2017
Na church wan feed them.
Person no go hustle guy
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by kevoh(m): 1:27pm On Jun 11, 2017
Eh man must wack...they won't feed themselves on pittance and small handouts from members. angry
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Rakitic4: 1:28pm On Jun 11, 2017
1. Nations like USA and North Korea are testing ballistic missiles and Nuclear weapons. Our dear country is dragging Jollof rice supremacy with Ghana and Senegal. Bikonu who did this to us? . 2. Have been having chest pain since one slay queen told me "Beauty Lies In The Eyes Of The *Decoder*" Abeg Sis, which decoder DSTV abi GOTV Hold me abeg I no wan faint . 3.That awkward moment When you are too single that even when you type "kissing" auto correct changes it to "kidding."...... May your story change in this 2017 . 4.People on WhatsApp that their status has been "At the gym" for the past 3 yrs..Please are you preparing to destroy the world? . 5.You will tell a guy you're single and he will be like "That can't be TRUE" Uncle, if you want toast, toast, don't be dragging my singleness with me, is it your singleness?? . 6.Some boys will wake up 2am to pee and they will post "Real Hustlers Don't Sleep" Idiot Who are You Deceiving Don't touch me ooo, Am not feeling fine. . 7.Some guys and their indirect insults sha. Please what is the meaning of "As I see that trouser, I just know say na you" Wicked pple... . 8. The reason why Nigerian women did not go to the Olympics in Brazil because they were afraid of meeting the owners of their hair! BRAZILIAN HAIR . 9. Disaster is when you steal meat from the pot, and you can't recall whether the spoon was on top or inside the pot. . 10. The way some people are black in NIGERIA ehhhh ,if you shoot dem in the night...the bullet will come back to you and ask for torchlight. . 11.When You Want to Charge your phone In a Football Viewing centre and You Mistakenly Off The DSTV during penalty shoot out.. shey you remember when your mum always tell you that your phone will kill you one day ?.. The moment has finally come.. Just get ready to die . 12. People will be doing "is that one this,is that one that" thats how they will do when trumpet blow,they will say "trumpet that blow and left me behind,is that one trumpet?? . 13. In Hollywood Merlin will just say two words and a fire breathing dragon will appear. In Nollywood ike mbe of amadioha shrine will recite a whole book of incantations (280 pages) just to off candle Then he will tell you to bring the following - 8 virgin rats - 10 married ants - 3 pregnant mosquitoes - 2 lesbian hens To appease the Gods naija i respect una hustle... . 14. That awkward moment when a 5'star Hotel attendant tells you Bottle of Coke is N1500 You will be Like ! "I mean Coke, Asin the Mineral type.. Not Alcoholic one " i mean the normal coke dat looks like Pepsi.. . 15. That moment wen your phone battery is 3%, seeing your landlord upload a pic with His family on Facebook and you quickly try to comment "Kul People" but auto correct changed it to "Cult People" just before your battery went off See!!! Don't bother trying to explain, just find another house

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Marksule(m): 1:28pm On Jun 11, 2017
Money And fame
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Tapout(m): 1:29pm On Jun 11, 2017
Rick9:
How many church have a Record Label like Christ Embassy that can manage their artistes and promote them to the mainstream audience ? why have Sinnach not left LoveWorld Records ? let the church build Record Labels to Promote Gospel Acts.

Music is more than singing, it has to be promoted a Record label is one channel through which music is promoted, how many church have world class music studios / instruments ?
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by lonelydora: 1:29pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ok
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by lonelydora: 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

May God have mercy on you. Your signature is not necessary

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by paradigmshift(m): 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2017
all man for himself o.
decision is personal
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Naturalobserver(m): 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2017
like the apostle rightly said, things I don’t want to do, I usually find myself doing it and vice versa u just said it.
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Dindondin(m): 1:33pm On Jun 11, 2017
G
Re: Why Should Artistes Leave Church For Stardom? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 11, 2017
Rakitic4:
1. Nations like USA and North Korea are
testing
ballistic missiles and Nuclear weapons.
Our dear
country is dragging Jollof rice supremacy
with
Ghana and
Senegal.
Bikonu who did this to us?
2. Have been having chest pain since one
slay
queen told me "Beauty Lies In The Eyes
Of The
*Decoder*" Abeg Sis, which decoder
DSTV abi GOTV
Hold me abeg I no wan faint
3.That awkward moment When you are
too
single that even when you type "kissing"
auto
correct changes it to "kidding."...... May
your
story change in this 2017
4.People on WhatsApp that
their status has been "At the
gym" for the past 3
yrs..Please are you preparing
to destroy the world?
5.You will tell a guy you're single and he
will be
like "That can't be
TRUE"
Uncle, if you want toast, toast, don't be
dragging
my singleness
with me, is it your singleness??
6.Some boys will wake up 2am to pee
and they
will post "Real Hustlers Don't Sleep"
Idiot Who are You Deceiving
Don't touch me ooo, Am not feeling fine.
7.Some guys and their indirect insults
sha. Please
what is the meaning of "As I see that
trouser, I
just know say na you"
Wicked pple...
8. The reason why Nigerian women did
not go to
the Olympics in Brazil because they were
afraid of
meeting the owners of their hair!
BRAZILIAN HAIR
9. Disaster is when you steal meat from
the pot,
and you can't recall whether the spoon
was on
top or inside the pot.
10. The way some people are black in
NIGERIA
ehhhh ,if you shoot dem in the
night...the bullet
will come back to you and ask for
torchlight.
11.When You Want to Charge your phone
In a
Football Viewing centre and You
Mistakenly Off
The DSTV during penalty shoot out..
shey you remember when your mum
always tell
you that your phone will kill you one
day ?.. The
moment has finally come.. Just get ready
to die
12. People will be doing "is that one
this,is that
one that"
thats how they will do when trumpet
blow,they
will say "trumpet that blow and left me
behind,is
that one trumpet??
13. In Hollywood
Merlin will just say two words and a fire
breathing dragon will appear.
In Nollywood
ike mbe of amadioha shrine will recite a
whole book of incantations (280 pages)
just to off candle
Then he will tell you to bring the
following
- 8 virgin rats
- 10 married ants
- 3 pregnant mosquitoes
- 2 lesbian hens
To appease the Gods
naija i respect una hustle...
14. That awkward moment when a 5'star
Hotel
attendant tells you Bottle of Coke is
N1500
You will be Like !
"I mean Coke, Asin the Mineral type..
Not
Alcoholic one " i mean the normal coke
dat looks
like Pepsi..
15. That moment wen your phone
battery is 3%,
seeing your landlord upload a pic with His
family on Facebook and you quickly try to
comment "Kul People" but auto correct
changed it to "Cult People" just before
your
battery went off
See!!! Don't bother trying to explain, just
find
another house

LOL!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Does A Person Know That He Or She Has The Heavenly Calling? / How Do You Feel When You Don't Have Offering To Give In Church? / Presidential Inauguration Interdenominational Service (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.