Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,095 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

On June 12, Biafra, Ipob, Arewa, Afenifere, And Other Maladies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On June 12, Biafra, Ipob, Arewa, Afenifere, And Other Maladies (424 Views)

Afenifere And The Politics Of Killer Herdsmen / June 12: Biafra Agitator, Nnamdi Kanu Attacks Buhari Govt For Honouring Abiola I / Atiku Meets Edwin Clark, Afenifere And Ohaneze Leaders (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On June 12, Biafra, Ipob, Arewa, Afenifere, And Other Maladies by gebulinks: 8:10pm On Jun 12, 2017
ON JUNE 12, BIAFRA, "3 MONTHS QUIT NOTICE", IPOB, AREWA, AFENIFERE, AND OTHER MALADIES..
A great philosopher once said, "Anyone who fails to learn from history is bound to repeat it". 50 years after one war that tore this contraption called Nigeria (Nigeria has never been a nation) started, it seems, apparently though, that we are in for another round.
The civil war which led to the death of about 3million Igbos (Estimates) can only be called a direct genocide (if we would say the truth to ourselves). It was unfair. Unjust. Uncalled for. Even Hitler (despite his hatred for the Jews) will hail the Nigeria Government's effort at wiping off a whole tribe under the guise of " civil war". It was a well-tailored Genocide! I sit not to be corrected. General Yakubu Gowon desrves Charles Taylor's form of prosecution. Sadly, he is tainted to be a "saint".
Sadly!
I read my role model's Memoirs on Biafra (His last words on print) titled " There was a country". Twice! It was intriguing. Chinua Achebe (May his soul rest in peace) wrote extensively on what really conspired before, during, and after the genocide called Biafra war. His story, from my perspective, is 85% true. I am not gullible. I saw some instances where he wrote based on tribal bigotry; supporting the Igbo's when they are wrong.

Some folks reading this will say: " were you alive during the war?" I ask: "were you alive when Jesus Christ died and resurrected?" I guess you understand how I knew about all these now!
Kudos to Sir Odumegwu Ojukwu. He was a brave man! Just like one Dame said: "His 'manhood' lives forever" Selah! Lol!! I gained a lot from his ideology, doggedness, and leadership skills. He was a fighter of class. An astute statesman. A man of honour. I celebrate him.
However I will never associate with his self-centeredness, irrationality, and lack of reasoning. It was glaring that, despite his love for the Igbos, he had a plan; a selfish one at that- to become President at all cost. Well, all the same, the late Ikemba fought well and "ran away" well. Wehdone Sir.
The hero of the Yorubas, Chief Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo, can not be forgotten in the history of Biafra. Being the country's Minister of Finance then, he ensured that the Igbos returned to Nigeria in penury. I love the great Awo. I celebrate the Ikenne Lion. I am proud of the best "president Nigeria never had". However, I am not a tribal bigot, who supports evil just because my family or friend or hero is the perpetrator. No! I don't totally support Awo's stringent measures on reimbursing the funds/monies/investment of the Igbos when they were received back into Nigeria. He changed Millionaires to " hundrednaires" . It was a hard one on the Igbos and very unfair too. Well, that is history for another day.
IPOB.... Abi na IPad? Those guys are funny. Hilarious. Today, they want Biafra and tomorrow, they don't want to leave Nigeria again. IPOB is nothing but a bunch of overfed, silly, irresponsible hypocrites who are only after what they will eat and not for the good of Ndigbo. But I love their spirit sha. Only that if Nnamdi Kanu can be embraced by the Federal Government (Like the biblical prodigal son), given federal pardon, and offered some juicy appointment like: Board Chairman, South East Development Commission (I guess the bill is dead on arrival. The north won't vote for that trash), he would keep mute on Biafra till "Maranatha". He sought cheap popularity and got it.
The question is: if Igbos truly want Biafra, why are they jittering at the threat of Arewa Youths on the issue of the 3Months Quit Notice.? Why? I ask, why?! OK! You want Biafra, you are free to leave and go to Biafra. Excuse Igbos, don't you want Biafra anymore or you were only using a these incessant agitations to destabilize the country? To just cause unnecessary unrest? To just make some silly noise? To flex nerves with the government? To spite and show your hatred for APC?
Please why?! Can't you guys just leave in peace while you can?
I don't want Igbos to leave. Not because I hate Biafra. No. I have Igbo friends with whom I have built many years of solid and brotherly relationship. It will hurt me to have them turn to enemies and foreigners over the night. Okeke Emeka is one. I love this guy like family. We lived in the same room for 4years while I was a student of the prestigious University of Ibadan, Ìbàdàn, Nigeria. He is just one of the numerous Igbos that I know and relate with. He has wonderful parents, very nice brother and sisters. I won't hate him because of Biafra. Never!
Many groups are lashing their tongues on the Biafra-Arewa Youth tussle. Nd'igbo, Afenifere (Do they still exist sef), Arewa Elders, etc. Hypocrites! Thieves! Folks who dumped us into our current sad situation. Folks who depleted the resources of our once great country, now coming out to form one "elder statesman". I don't give honour to such people. They want to become " saints" overnight and come to us in 2019 again to canvass votes. Baba, we are no longer gullible. We don wise up. Jungle don mature.
Tell your "Referendum gospel" and "Let us be peaceful" pretence to the marines.
Today, June 12 suppose to be a historic day in Nigeria but I can say it is not in any way historic. The acclaimed winner of the election, Bashorun MKO Abiola is not in any way credible himself. Although he was able to build a saintlike image and sell to millions of gullible Nigerians, any true student of history will know that IBB did us good disguised as evil. A MKO-Led government would have done this nation more evil than good. His mantra then, HOPE '93, was a mere scam. The late Afrobeat Maestro, Fela, would still rejoice in his grave that the election was annulled. Go and listen to Fela's "International Thief Thief- ITT" (ITT was a defunct company that MKO worked in/headed between 1977-1985 before he resigned), you will understand better.
However, he was a hero (based on Nigerian standards) but I still don't see the public holiday in "June 12" asides the fact that our government is trying hard to deceive us in believing that they celebrate a hero. Are they following whatever legacy MKO left? Obviously No. June 12 holiday is only to distract us from their incompetency and lack of true leadership skills.
OUR SOLUTION: My Opinion.
1. We go back to Regional system of government. No more numerous House of Rep, Senate junks. No more Governors (with their unproductive SAs, Commissioners, SSAs, and other Money-draining political appointees. We have a Prime Minister at the centre. A Parliament with 5-8 representatives from each region (depending on the number of states in the region). Regional Premiers in each region, who will be assigned commissioners with no Special Advisers/Assistants (I hate those things). Administrators for districts within each region who will be given only a district office with few staff for administrative functions. And probably a Ceremonial President.
OR.
2. We split. Republic of Biafra. Oduduwa Republic. Arewa Republic. MiddleBelt (whatever name they give themselves) Republic. Niger Delta Republic. Etc. And we call it a day.
With these few points of mine, I hope that I have been able to convince and not to confuse you that Nigeria is......(I hate it when debaters use that line.)
Long Live Nige..... Oh! Sorry. Bye!
© Gabriel Olu. || @diaryofthepoet
#Preacher #Poet #PublicAffairsAnalyst
Re: On June 12, Biafra, Ipob, Arewa, Afenifere, And Other Maladies by gebulinks: 8:12pm On Jun 12, 2017
cc: lalasticlala
Re: On June 12, Biafra, Ipob, Arewa, Afenifere, And Other Maladies by Karlman: 8:30pm On Jun 12, 2017
AWOLOWO was serving his masters with the dream they would let him rule someday...but he got served...same for MKO ...and same awaits TINUBU!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: APC NWC Clears Senator Hussein For Osun West / Man's Head And Hand Chopped Off Over Land Dispute In Delta State (graphic Photo) / Emir Sanusi Bares His Mind On Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.