Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know (49513 Views)

Car Dealers Besiege Customs Office With Vehicle Documents / Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers / 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by AutoJoshNG: 7:12am On Jun 13, 2017
One of the greatest exploiters we have in Nigeria are the car dealers. They can actually make a scrap car look brand new again.. The cars at their showrooms look perfect to the average eyes.. However, a trip behind the scene could leave you dumbfounded.

My simple advise to all prospective car buyer is, never rely on the information given to you by the car seller.. They may just give you a Tokunbo car as brand new or a Nigerian used as Tokunbo.

These are 5 things Nigerian car dealers don't want car buyers to know

1) Accidented cars:

Car dealers would always tell you their cars are clean without a scratch or blemish. But when you prove to them the car has been resprayed, they will now change their tone and say they only sprayed the bumpers due to a scratch at Lagos port. Note: This is usually a big fat lie. That car is most likely accidented. It is not news that most cars which are imported into Nigeria are bought from auctions that sell a large number of damaged vehicles. This may not be a problem as some damage are minor and inconsequential.. However, some dealers prefer to buy the badly damage cars which would be sold very cheaply as scrap.. and such vehicles would be repaired and sold to unsuspecting Nigerians. I once asked a car dealer in Lagos to show me the pictures of the accident the car I was inspecting had. What I requested was the original pictures from the auction yard before any repair was done.. but he went ahead to show pictures he took after he had done some repairs. I almost fell for it but quickly realized they had done some repairs and even put in new radiator and condenser. These guys could be desperate to any extent.. so you have to be careful in order not to buy a car that the airbags have been removed due to accident or a car that the suspensions have been patched up to only take you out of their sales lot.

2) Rolled back mileage:

Just a week ago, I did a vehicle history check for someone, the vehicle history report showed the car had trekked 403,000 kilometres before it left Canada last year.. but the dashboard odometre in Lagos a week ago was showing 80,000 kilometres. What happened? They had rolled back the mileage. Come to think of it, imagine rolling your age back to 15 after clocking 80 years old.. That would be splendid.

Another guy kept complaining his car had multiple issues.. we later realised the actual mileage on the car was about 500,000 kilometres.

3) Flooded cars:

Did you just buy a car that has a mind of its own? You try to reduce the volume of the radio but the sound goes up instead.. You try to turn off the radio but the AC goes off instead.. The reverse camera comes up anytime you put the car in drive.. and your car continues to play many annoying pranks with you. The car is probably a flooded car. These cars are cheap at the auction so the ridiculous prices attracts dealers who want to maximize their profit. Dealers don't want you to ever know they are selling a flooded car to you and you probably can't tell with your bare eyes. The simplest way to know is by doing a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) check especially Carfax VIN check.

Some people buy cars and they spend money fixing it for more than a year without being able to drive it.

4) Unpaid import duty:

The excessive import duty in Nigeria, our porous land borders as well as high level of corruption has led to several cars being smuggled into the country. The sad news is, these cars are not seized from the dealers.. but they are seized from the final buyers who are not aware the vehicles were smuggled.

The good news is Nigeria Custom recently launched a custom paper verification process that allows you to confirm if duty was paid on a particular vehicle. See how to verify your custom paper HERE.. https://autojosh.com/custom-paper-verification/

5) How much they make on each car:

It is true some cars are sold at a loss especially when they have been on ground for too long. It is also true that car dealers can make between ₦200,000 to ₦700,000 on a 2006 model Toyota car. The better they are able to execute the 4 points I listed above, the higher the profit they make.. but I have observed that no matter the amount car dealers make, they will always tell buyers that they are only making ₦50,000 on the car sale. If you fall for their appeal to pity, you will end up paying more for nothing.

Tell us what you noticed car dealers in Nigeria did not want you to know and stay tuned to AutoJosh for more on cars.

Don't forget to like, rate and share.

https://autojosh.com/car-dealers-in-nigeria/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

104 Likes 24 Shares

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by LUGBE: 7:16am On Jun 13, 2017
Is well ,a good check will go a long way to reduce the mentioned risk.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Loyalblak007(f): 7:17am On Jun 13, 2017
Highly informative

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Redoil: 7:26am On Jun 13, 2017
Why not buy from me i wont scam you
If you know that buying a good second handed car is mere luck click like
If you know that due dilligence is needed when buying a second handed car click share.

9 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by OlugbengaE: 7:30am On Jun 13, 2017
true
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Virginkpekus(f): 7:31am On Jun 13, 2017
Thank God I saw this, was about going to buy a car this morning.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Caustics: 7:31am On Jun 13, 2017
autojosh spoils business for his brethren. Thank you so much.

the flooded cars. did they really fall inside water? or its something else that makes them misbehave @ AutoJoshNG

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Partnerbiz3: 7:31am On Jun 13, 2017
Ok ayam coming.

See below for data shaa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by twilliamx(m): 7:32am On Jun 13, 2017
nice write up

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by pafestula(m): 7:32am On Jun 13, 2017
You don spoil business for my country people.
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Albert0011(m): 7:32am On Jun 13, 2017
This topic nor concern me sha...person neva chop belle full 4 dis recession na car u wan go buy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by NwaAmaikpe: 7:32am On Jun 13, 2017
shocked

OP you forgot this;

No dealer ever tells you the car you are buying was stolen.

76 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by nairaman66(m): 7:33am On Jun 13, 2017
shocked shocked
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by emeijeh(m): 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
Men!
Take a look at that Skoda!

As if it was squeezed by incredible hulk and mashed with Thor's hammer
Damn

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by nairaman66(m): 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
shocked
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
) Rolled back mileage:

Just a week ago, I did a vehicle history check for someone, the vehicle history report showed the car had trekked 403,000 kilometres before it left Canada last year.. but the dashboard odometre in Lagos a week ago was showing 80,000 kilometres. What happened? They had rolled back the mileage. Come to think of it, imagine rolling your age back to 15 after clocking 80 years old.. That would be splendid.

Another guy kept complaining his car had multiple issues.. we later realised the actual mileage on the car was about 500,000 kilometres.

Lol....at the bolded.

Many Naija babes would love that.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by helphelp: 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
Hmmm
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by maxiuc(m): 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
Honda civic

Make I put body and soul together

Money still never complete

How much can I get a clean one

I need a two door Honda civic
To start life with
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by dokiOloye(m): 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
Nice.
U sabi dem well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by mecussey(m): 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
Op are u saying its better to go straight to Cotonue and buy your motor..?
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by steph156: 7:34am On Jun 13, 2017
Nc one
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Bantino(m): 7:35am On Jun 13, 2017
Nice one
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 13, 2017
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5488372_accidentedcar_jpeg2cb0e50f02cc6ac0da9748b0c77cde03
I'm more concerned about the occupants of this car, did they make it out alive? shocked. Damn! Did the car collide with Everest.

To the topic, some car dealers have argued that the fault is from customers _ they want A-list cars at a very low cost. In a country like Nigeria where people like shortcut to success, the aforementioned in the OP becomes the order of the day.

12 Likes

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 13, 2017
pafestula:
You don spoil business for my country people.

Shut the Fu..CK up!!! Do u know how some car dealers have frustrated so many people

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Abeyjide: 7:37am On Jun 13, 2017
How do I check original mileage ?
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by davodyguy: 7:37am On Jun 13, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
One of the greatest exploiters we have in Nigeria are the car dealers. They can actually make a scrap car look brand new again.. The cars at their showrooms look perfect to the average eyes.. However, a trip behind the scene could leave you dumbfounded.

My simple advise to all prospective car buyer is, never rely on the information given to you by the car seller.. They may just give you a Tokunbo car as brand new or a Nigerian used as Tokunbo.

These are 5 things Nigerian car dealers don't want car buyers to know

1) Accidented cars:

Car dealers would always tell you their cars are clean without a scratch or blemish. But when you prove to them the car has been resprayed, they will now change their tone and say they only sprayed the bumpers due to a scratch at Lagos port. Note: This is usually a big fat lie. That car is most likely accidented. It is not news that most cars which are imported into Nigeria are bought from auctions that sell a large number of damaged vehicles. This may not be a problem as some damage are minor and inconsequential.. However, some dealers prefer to buy the badly damage cars which would be sold very cheaply as scrap.. and such vehicles would be repaired and sold to unsuspecting Nigerians. I once asked a car dealer in Lagos to show me the pictures of the accident the car I was inspecting had. What I requested was the original pictures from the auction yard before any repair was done.. but he went ahead to show pictures he took after he had done some repairs. I almost fell for it but quickly realized they had done some repairs and even put in new radiator and condenser. These guys could be desperate to any extent.. so you have to be careful in order not to buy a car that the airbags have been removed due to accident or a car that the suspensions have been patched up to only take you out of their sales lot.

2) Rolled back mileage:

3) Flooded cars:

Did you just buy a car that has a mind of its own? You try to reduce the volume of the radio but the sound goes up instead.. You try to turn off the radio but the AC goes off instead.. The reverse camera comes up anytime you put the car in drive.. and your car continues to play many annoying pranks with you. The car is probably a flooded car. These cars are cheap at the auction so the ridiculous prices attracts dealers who want to maximize their profit. Dealers don't want you to ever know they are selling a flooded car to you and you probably can't tell with your bare eyes. The simplest way to know is by doing a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) check especially Carfax VIN check.

Some people buy cars and they spend money fixing it for more than a year without being able to drive it.

4) Unpaid import duty:

The excessive import duty in Nigeria, our porous land borders as well as high level of corruption has led to several cars being smuggled into the country. The sad news is, these cars are not seized from the dealers.. but they are seized from the final buyers who are not aware the vehicles were smuggled.

The good news is Nigeria Custom recently launched a custom paper verification process that allows you to confirm if duty was paid on a particular vehicle. See how to verify your custom paper HERE.. https://autojosh.com/custom-paper-verification/

5) How much they make on each car:

It is true some cars are sold at a loss especially when they have been on ground for too long. It is also true that car dealers can make between ₦200,000 to ₦700,000 on a 2006 model Toyota car. The better they are able to execute the 4 points I listed above, the higher the profit they make.. but I have observed that no matter the amount car dealers make, they will always tell buyers that they are only making ₦50,000 on the car sale. If you fall for their appeal to pity, you will end up paying more for nothing.

Tell us what you noticed car dealers in Nigeria did not want you to know and stay tuned to AutoJosh for more on cars.

Don't forget to like, rate and share.

https://autojosh.com/car-dealers-in-nigeria/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

I dont always like to agree with your posts most times, but almost all you said is true, except some lines, which i will address
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by BeastOfAfrica(m): 7:37am On Jun 13, 2017
ok
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by drololaaof: 7:40am On Jun 13, 2017
Very good information thanks
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by fineboynl(m): 7:41am On Jun 13, 2017
.buying accidental car is costly mistake you should never have found yourself. especially when it affect the engine setting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Policemen Cross Road With Rope In Minna When Trafficlight Turns Red / Fuel Tank Spotted Inside A Bus (Photo) / What Car Type Can A Family Man With An Income Of 110k Per Month Maintain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.