Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,197 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know (49552 Views)

Car Dealers Besiege Customs Office With Vehicle Documents / Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers / 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by poseidon12: 8:29am On Jun 13, 2017
Caustics:
autojosh spoils business for his brethren. Thank you so much.

the flooded cars. did they really fall inside water? or its something else that makes them misbehave @ AutoJoshNG

No they usually don't fall inside water. Some parts of US, especially Florida are prone to extreme weather situations like hurricane that come with massive flooding. A lot of cars get submerged in flood deep enough to affect the engine. Once that happens, the car is gone. It's then written off by insurance and sold for scrap. Then the unscrupulous Nigerian buys it on the cheap, ships to Nigeria, gives it cosmetic repair and sells to unsuspecting buy. Those cars usually look nice inside and outside but they carry loads of problems. I will not even take such cars for free. Before you buy a tokunbo car from US, you should check the car's history from carfax.com.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by BABANGBALI: 8:33am On Jun 13, 2017
That's why I doesn't buy cars here again in Nigeria,the last car I boughted for my babe was a shame of the nation
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Rajosh(m): 8:39am On Jun 13, 2017
Virginkpekus:
Thank God I saw this, was about going to buy a car this morning.
Hmm. I bow for you o
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Rajosh(m): 8:42am On Jun 13, 2017
Rolly83:

Shut the Fu..CK up!!! Do u know how some car dealers have frustrated so many people
Baba calm down.no be fight.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by ARKdiscloser7(m): 8:46am On Jun 13, 2017
Please I need a Toyota Highlander 2003/04 urgently.
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 13, 2017
A car dealer I contacted at Cotonou refused to deal with me anymore after I requested that he sent the VIN number for my confirmation. His response was that he does not do that and that no other seller will respond to my request. I ended the transaction.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by linearity: 9:06am On Jun 13, 2017
kindkingsley:
How do i do VIN check for a car?

quote author=linearity post=57469583]

I think, he is saying that make sure you do a car history report, this way you know what you are buying.

Also, be careful with car fax report from dealers, always better to do one yourself. Also note one trick about carfax from dealers. If you ask them for the VIN, if the car has a problem, they might conceal it by giving you the VIN of a different but identical car...most people don't cross check the VIN on the carfx report they rely on to make their purchase with the actual VIN itched on the vehicle before driving off the lot or taking delivery...at this point you are so over joyed that you have pulled a big score or that your dream ride had finally arrived that you forgot the basic checks and balance.

Get the VIN from the dealer, then go to carfax.com, it's paid but search the auto section of NairaLand, a guy do it for free there...but the truth is, if you want to spend hundreds of Naira of a car, its better you get the paid one month, since you can search unlimited VINs within that time, plus since you getting it yourself from carfax, you trust it more. Also google, there are other vendors apart from carfax.

And please, don't trust the VIN you were given, before paying make sure to cross check the VIN on the carfax report with the one itched on the vehicle - also check multiple places on the car for the VIN, e.g. Inside of the door edge, windows, windshield, engine, etc.

More so, if you have the paid carfax version, it will be right there on your phone and handy incase you are at the car dealer and saw another car, that is a really good deal and wants to checkout the report immediately.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by johnemeka(m): 9:13am On Jun 13, 2017
Na woow!
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by presidomat(m): 9:20am On Jun 13, 2017
always check for trackers in a tokunbo car, and remove such if seen. because most dealers always trace back a sold car to steal.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Soleymania(m): 9:20am On Jun 13, 2017
Firstly, most buyers wants to buy awuuf. Could price a 1999 Toyota Camry for 700k.
They are looking for clean car, as if it wasn't human oyunbo that used it.. If a car got no scratch, forget, its been worked on. Tokunbo is used now.. Only it's foreign used. If u ever deal in selling cars, u know its not as profitable as u think. Let m tell u, some buyers like soldiers etc actually wants a car without duty.. I hv a 2004 Toyota matrix, manual, front bumper get injury bonnet need spray. 1.3 m
Call. 08032930389.
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by 0b100100111: 9:26am On Jun 13, 2017
Virginkpekus:

Useless question

Thought as much! Knew it can NEVER be a real car
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by chronique(m): 9:26am On Jun 13, 2017
Nice post but let's get some things straight.

1. Not every accidented car is bad. Some have just minor impacts. So long as the impact doesn't affect the chasis, you are good to go.

2. Rolled back mileages aren't only done here. They are also done overseas. The major reason why mileages are being rolled back in naija, is the greed and unrealistic expectations of most clients. The average yearly drive of a car in the US should give you around 15,000 miles. A Nigerian would be asking for a 2003 toyota corolla with 80,000 miles. Dealers who are desperate to sell, would have it rolled back to suit the clients. That a mileage is high, doesn't necessarily mean the engine is gone. I have gotten cars from Canada that the owners replaced engine at around 180k or 200k miles. So when such a car comes with a mileage of 300k, you hear people saying the mileage is too high, not knowing it's not the same engine that ran the entire 300k miles.

3. No Car Dealer can make 700k on a 2006 corolla as at today. It's almost impossible. Even if you calculate with the lowest of estimate. Let's assume shipping cost just $1000,clearing cost 500k, auction fees and trucking costs, $800. That would give you a total of 1,166,000. Let's assume the car was bought at $2,500(925,000) using 370 as exchange rate. Add it up to previous figure and it gives a total of 2,091,000. How much is the average selling price of a corolla in the market? 2.4-2.5m. There are some other charges not even added.

4. I like the fact that this topic is right here. Clients would appreciate it when they see clean title cars for good prices. Most times, when you try to tell them your price is higher cos it's accident free, they'd tell you how they got one for way cheaper (using price of seriously accidented cars to negotiate).

5. No matter how we look at it, the truth is if some people weren't importing accident and flooded cars, most Nigerians won't be able to afford cars. I once saw a 99 Camry with 42k original miles in the US, for $7500. Imagine buying that type of car and trying to sell it on Nairaland? All the miscreants on this site would start calling you all manner of names and telling you how much the car is worth.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by futurerex: 9:36am On Jun 13, 2017
Can You Please Help Me With Some Auction Sites(?). Thnks
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by nams77: 9:46am On Jun 13, 2017
Caustics:
autojosh spoils business for his brethren. Thank you so much.

the flooded cars. did they really fall inside water? or its something else that makes them misbehave @ AutoJoshNG
They didn't necessarily fall into water. They were left behind by citizens who where fleeing typhoons, tornadoes and cyclones and it's attendant flooding of cities and neighborhood
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by delishpot: 9:48am On Jun 13, 2017
Rolly83:

Shut the Fu..CK up!!! Do u know how some car dealers have frustrated so many people

He was clearly being sarcastic. Must you kids insult anyone that you feel did not make the type of comments you guys like? . Befire you open mouth, kids have insulted you. This is a bad trend.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by joinnow: 9:52am On Jun 13, 2017
Op forget to add
Car dealers wont tell you the car is converted from righty to lefty. Modified
Untill you buy and after driving for a while things will start falling apart. Five ways to know a converted car
1.check to find out the position of the external anternal.if it is on same drivers side. Run
2. Gear selector for floor gear selector the D1 etc should be written outer
3.if its has auxiliary should be outer.
4.exhauste pipe location
5.fuel tank position.
Etc
Cars that mostly converted in Nigeria
Peugeot
Toyota Haice
Totota picnic
Land Rover Freelander
Micra
Nissan
Ford boxer
Some audi
Some mecerdes

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 13, 2017
Redoil:
Why not buy from me i wont scam you
If you know that buying a good second handed car is mere luck click like
If you know that due dilligence is needed when buying a second handed car click share.

Can you afford I pay in installments

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by segematico(m): 10:11am On Jun 13, 2017
Make i carry money go buy my own, and thanks for d info

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 13, 2017
LexngtonSteele:
Car-dealers form a high % of criminals in Nigeria.

One of the most informative articles on Nairaland.

I learnt all these points in 1 year of visiting Nairaland Autos section

BRAVO!

I totally agree with you. They are in the same class with kidnappers, ritualist and armed robbers.

They have also succeeded in pushing the price of Nigerian used cars to the rooftop.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 13, 2017
chronique:
Nice post but let's get some things straight.

1. Not every accidented car is bad. Some have just minor impacts. So long as the impact doesn't affect the chasis, you are good to go.

2. Rolled back mileages aren't only done here. They are also done overseas. The major reason why mileages are being rolled back in naija, is the greed and unrealistic expectations of most clients. The average yearly drive of a car in the US should give you around 15,000 miles. A Nigerian would be asking for a 2003 toyota corolla with 80,000 miles. Dealers who are desperate to sell, would have it rolled back to suit the clients. That a mileage is high, doesn't necessarily mean the engine is gone. I have gotten cars from Canada that the owners replaced engine at around 180k or 200k miles. So when such a car comes with a mileage of 300k, you hear people saying the mileage is too high, not knowing it's not the same engine that ran the entire 300k miles.

3. No Car Dealer can make 700k on a 2006 corolla as at today. It's almost impossible. Even if you calculate with the lowest of estimate. Let's assume shipping cost just $1000,clearing cost 500k, auction fees and trucking costs, $800. That would give you a total of 1,166,000. Let's assume the car was bought at $2,500(925,000) using 370 as exchange rate. Add it up to previous figure and it gives a total of 2,091,000. How much is the average selling price of a corolla in the market? 2.4-2.5m. There are some other charges not even added.

4. I like the fact that this topic is right here. Clients would appreciate it when they see clean title cars for good prices. Most times, when you try to tell them your price is higher cos it's accident free, they'd tell you how they got one for way cheaper (using price of seriously accidented cars to negotiate).

5. No matter how we look at it, the truth is if some people weren't importing accident and flooded cars, most Nigerians won't be able to afford cars. I once saw a 99 Camry with 42k original miles in the US, for $7500. Imagine buying that type of car and trying to sell it on Nairaland? All the miscreants on this site would start calling you all manner of names and telling you how much the car is worth.

Including you
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by tayo4ng(m): 10:47am On Jun 13, 2017
pls am in need of a clean used gulf 3 to buy. it's urgent
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by mistermoi(m): 10:51am On Jun 13, 2017
Nice post. OP, thank you.
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Amaaf(m): 11:02am On Jun 13, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

Do a VIN check.

Please how do we go about the VIN thing?
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by lexzealous(m): 11:15am On Jun 13, 2017
emeijeh:
Men!
Take a look at that Skoda!

As if it was squeezed by incredible hulk and mashed with Thor's hammer
Damn

Too much cartoons! cheesy
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by AutoJoshNG: 11:16am On Jun 13, 2017
futurerex:
Can You Please Help Me With Some Auction Sites(?). Thnks

copart.com , iaai.com etc

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by FRANKOSKI(m): 11:24am On Jun 13, 2017
No6. They don't want you to know that it's overheating.
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by GOFRONT(m): 12:01pm On Jun 13, 2017
How can one check to differentiate the Real Mileage frm the Roll back mileage
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by piagetskinner(m): 12:38pm On Jun 13, 2017
emeijeh:
Men! Take a look at that Skoda!

As if it was squeezed by incredible hulk and mashed with Thor's hammer Damn

that Skoda can't be repaired again

na to sell the parts as scrap
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Hollysaint: 12:47pm On Jun 13, 2017
nice write up.thanks for sharing.
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by Chidinmaluv22(f): 1:10pm On Jun 13, 2017
I need a good car
Re: 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know by chronique(m): 1:29pm On Jun 13, 2017
Chidinmaluv22:
I need a good car

Go through my topics and check out the ones you can afford.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? / Fuel Tank Spotted Inside A Bus (Photo) / Policemen Cross Road With Rope In Minna When Trafficlight Turns Red

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.