Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,360 members, 7,839,639 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" (43087 Views)

Ohanaeze Wants The Name Nigeria Changed To A Positive One / What Is Iberiberism? The New Word Rochas Coined / EFCC Explains Why Olufemi Olukayode Adeyemi F.Shaw Left (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by YNWA1: 2:08pm On Jun 13, 2017
kingzizzy:
This woman who named you 'Nigerians' after a common River!

Tufiakwa! If I ever answer to this colonial name! Im a Biafran!
and where did you think Biafra was derived from, shrine?
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by oyienootieno: 2:09pm On Jun 13, 2017
PDJT:
-How much was Nigeria sold again?

-If to say she name the kuntri "Mumu", by now it's citizens for de answer: Proud Mumu. grin

Chai!, Flora f.uck up no be small.

Is there any definition of mumu in the dictionary?
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by adonis89(m): 2:10pm On Jun 13, 2017
Look at our(nigerians) God
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by millionaireman: 2:14pm On Jun 13, 2017
Kyase:
Yea i just time travel to confirm that, she actually slapped you.

Spotted a slave. Ask Asians who know what country means : it is a country of Liberty and equality.

Asians forced by the Lugards and Floras into one country later separated.

Nigeria has no Liberty no equality for its citizens.
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by lilytender: 2:18pm On Jun 13, 2017
kingzizzy:

Please what is the meaning of Biafra? I mean, translate it to English or Yoruba so that non-Ibos can relate.

1 Like

Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by badman007(m): 2:19pm On Jun 13, 2017
kingzizzy:

She is from Woolwich in London. Her family had lots of slaves back in the day. She came into former songhai empire now Nigeria. She saw so many black people who are called niggers back in her country so she decided to call us Nigger area.the great Ghana empire was called Gold coast but thank God Ghanians have foresight and good leadership, they reverted back to their old name Ghana.
We know nothing about our history. The Chinese would never do such, that's why they are getting all right.
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by millionaireman: 2:21pm On Jun 13, 2017
akpamuomenka:
A white man gave them a country and named her after a river....... Hmmmm.

Country name meaningless.

Niger and Nigeria Republics

Most of Northern Nigeria is supposed to have been in Niger.

A Buhari wins presidential election in Nigeria, his first foreign visit was to Niger Republic to celebrate his victory with his real kin and friends.

The MOFOS in colonial garb who did the amalgamation really dealt a deadly blow to southern Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by hardest: 2:21pm On Jun 13, 2017
foolishsouth:
Flora may God punish You and Lugard wherever you may be

WERE IS UR BRAIN
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Kyase(m): 2:23pm On Jun 13, 2017
millionaireman:

Spotted a slave. Ask Asians who know what country means : it is a country of Liberty and equality.

nawao wetin i do na
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by slurryeye2: 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2017
millionaireman:

Tell me the bolded is a joke. Asia forced into one country? Do you even know how big Asia is?
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by slurryeye2: 2:28pm On Jun 13, 2017
badman007:

She is from Woolwich in London. Her family had lots of slaves back in the day. She came into former songhai empire now Nigeria. She saw so many black people who are called niggers back in her country so she decided to call us Nigger area.the great Ghana empire was called Gold coast but thank God Ghanians have foresight and good leadership, they reverted back to their old name Ghana.
We know nothing about our history. The Chinese would never do such, that's why they are getting all right.

If you know history, you should know that great Ghana empire was not located anywhere close to the present Ghana nation

And the word Niggar was never used for black slaves in Europe, it was used in new world (America) by the destitute slave owners. The word nigger was coined from latin word neger which means black. In Spanish and Portuguese till date the word negro, neger or negra till date. But the first use of the word negars to describe African slaves in a derogative way was used by John Wolfe in 1619 in Colonial America.

Nigger: Ni ga
Is different from
Niger: Nai ja

Technically, if a spanish person call you negro, he is not being insultive
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Maghan37: 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2017
robosky02:
Naming Nigeria - Flora Shaw and Sexism

It is an unfortunate consequence of our innate sexism as a people that when we hear the name Flora Shaw as the lady who named Nigeria, we see not a person - with a life, with achievements and with faults - rather we see the mistress/ wife to be of Lord Frederick Lugard. Ask any Nigerian and this is probably the only fact they know about Miss Shaw.

Our culture is one where a woman’s legacy is not a factor of her character or her achievements but simply by who her husband is. So when we think of the woman who named our country we cannot think beyond an ordinary mistress whispering ideas to her man in bed because that is her domain of control and of course it the man who carries out the act of the naming because only men can do important things. This could not be further from the truth.

Nigeria was named by Flora Shaw but not as a consequence her relationship with Lord Lugard as most people believe. She wrote an article in the London Times of January 8, 1897 suggesting that the territory around the Niger, which was then controlled by the Royal Niger Company, should be called Nigeria.

At the time she was the colonial editor of the London times in the 1890s. She had a column titled the colony, it appeared weekly. She wrote many articles about the acquisition of territories in Africa in the 1900’s and was considered as an expert on the issue. Her achievement in becoming the colonial editor of the London times was quite extraordinary. The paper was the leading voice at the time and widely regarded as one of the best.

Flora Shaw was unique in the way she wrote particularly about economic matters affecting the African Colonies. To be a serious female journalist in those times in a field dominated by male journalists meant she had to be really good at what she did. It was for these reasons that when proposed the name Nigeria people considered it seriously.

The Royal Niger Company was instrumental in bringing the British Protectorate to the area we now know as Nigeria. Flora by virtue of her job knew on a personal basis all the major players involved in the extending of the British Empire to this region and she came to think of herself as a critical player. Her credibility as writer and economic/political commentator was without question. There have been some suggestions that by virtue of her feminine charms she was able to develop relationships with empire builders like Lord Lugard and Dr Joseph Chamberlain that afforded her in-depth knowledge which she used to write her articles. Her letters would suggest that she was no leech though as she also advised them on a range of issues given her knowledge of the area.

Now this is not to say that Miss Shaw was perfect. Many of her ideologies as represented in her articles were imperialist, she was a firm crusader for the British Empire. She saw Africans as inferior, uncivilised beings compared to the British. She believed colonialism was a benevolent construct of the empire, spreading good wherever it went and incapable of evil. She also put forward as a trial name Goldiesia, named after the head of the Royal Niger Company, Goldie. In the manner which Rhodesia was named after Dr Cecil Rhodes.

The main reason I even decided to find out this much about Flora Shaw and rid myself of complicity in the accusations of the first paragraph is because I wondered, if she was just an irrelevant mistress then why didn’t our founding fathers attempt to change the name at our independence? The answer is they did. The name Nigeria Songhai was considered, a tribute to the famous ancient Songhai Empire in Western Sudan. The name Nigeria was practical for a myriad of reasons but in the end most agreed that the argument put forward by Flora Shaw was good enough to retain the name. The river Niger, the great river of Africa, with its over 20 tributaries and channels touched the lives of Nigerians one way or another thus we all feel connected by it.

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44
http://www.romancemeetslife.com/2013/04/naming-nigeria-flora-shaw-and-sexism.html
wise words good job.
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by effty(m): 2:33pm On Jun 13, 2017
kingzizzy:

What is the meaning of Biafra? Is it an Igbo word?
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Teewhydalegend: 2:35pm On Jun 13, 2017
grayht:
I remember when I was asking her out back then..

Great memories tho.!
How did you write your siggy
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Chibuhealth(f): 2:37pm On Jun 13, 2017
Igboesika:
See how she b like cartoon.
Akwuna oku.
hahhahadha@akwuna oku

1 Like

Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Ifeanyi4491(m): 2:41pm On Jun 13, 2017
grayht:
I remember when I was asking her out back then..

Great memories tho.!

Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Blinks586: 2:47pm On Jun 13, 2017
White will always remain white...
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Maruchi203(m): 2:48pm On Jun 13, 2017
Does she know anything sef??...
British dat does not know how to name their children, then you want to coman name a country...
You can imagine british names like:
Woodburn
Bale
Rice
Smalling
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by sukkot: 2:48pm On Jun 13, 2017
no igbo on the map lmao. where did these igbo people arrive from ? i am starting to think they are cameroonians. and they want to come and divide nigeria, a country they do not belong. look at this map ? yoruba and hausa all over. no igbo

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5490048_e1_jpeg0589c142e9397ad011c439904c1d6068

2 Likes

Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Guyman02: 2:54pm On Jun 13, 2017
She named Nigeria while she was about coming ni ni ni ge ri yaaaaaaaa!!!!!
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Bullhari007(m): 2:55pm On Jun 13, 2017
the olosho helped her once empoverished husband to forced one Nigeria down on our throats without considering if the locals actually want the one Nigeria....
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by slurryeye2: 2:56pm On Jun 13, 2017
effty:
What is the meaning of Biafra? Is it an Igbo word?

The word Biafra was derived from the subgroup of Tenda ethnic group that reside primarily in Guinea-Bissau till date known as Biafar or Biafada. The word is believed to have some Portuguese origin.
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by effty(m): 2:58pm On Jun 13, 2017
slurryeye2:

The word Biafra was derived from the subgroup of Tenda ethnic group that reside primarily in Guinea-Bissau till date known as Biafar or Biafada. The word is believed to have some Portuguese origin.
Re they igbo?
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by lonelydora: 2:58pm On Jun 13, 2017
Thunder fire Lord Lugard and Flora Shaw.
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Limitless72(m): 2:59pm On Jun 13, 2017
robosky02:

In that article published on 8 January 1897, Shaw wrote:

“In the first place, as the title “Royal Niger Company’s Territories” is not only inconvenient to use but to some extent is also misleading, it may be permissible to coin a shorter title for the agglomeration of pagan and Mohammedan states which have been brought, by the exertions of the Royal Niger Company, within the confines of the British Protectorates, and thus need for the first time in their history to be described as an entity by some general name….The name “Nigeria”, applying to no other portion of Africa, may, without offence to any neighbours, be accepted as coextensive with the territories over which the Royal Niger Company has extended British influence….”

Lol....this is a salt to the wound of this inhabitable entity
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by Lemmy123(m): 3:03pm On Jun 13, 2017
Please what is NEGODU? Not heard that word b4
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by slurryeye2: 3:03pm On Jun 13, 2017
effty:
Re they igbo?

No they are not.

Ojukwu culled the word Biafra from the bight of Biafra which is now bight of Bonny after the civil war. The bight of Bonny stretched from the delta of river Niger in Nigeria to cape lopez in Gabon.

The word Biafra absolutely have no Igbo origin
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by walosky(m): 3:13pm On Jun 13, 2017
No wonder the Country is in shambles
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by InvertedHammer: 3:13pm On Jun 13, 2017
Hate it or cherish it, black people are subservient to white people.

Independence: given by oyibo
Natural resources (oil): Drilled and refined by oyibo.
Aso Rock: built by oyibo
Road network: built by oyibo (Julius Berger, Setraco, RCC)
Election postponement: explained to British Parliament
Sick president: under oyibo treatment.
Ammuntion: bought from oyibo
Best companies to work for: Shell, Chevron, etc all oyibo companies.
Financial aids: oyibo

The reason Buhari and his boys have not killed infidels? Fear of oyibo.

Can someone explain to me how Nigeria has the control of her destiny?
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by forgiveness: 3:19pm On Jun 13, 2017
robosky02:
Naming Nigeria - Flora Shaw and Sexism

It is an unfortunate consequence of our innate sexism as a people that when we hear the name Flora Shaw as the lady who named Nigeria, we see not a person - with a life, with achievements and with faults - rather we see the mistress/ wife to be of Lord Frederick Lugard. Ask any Nigerian and this is probably the only fact they know about Miss Shaw.

Our culture is one where a woman’s legacy is not a factor of her character or her achievements but simply by who her husband is. So when we think of the woman who named our country we cannot think beyond an ordinary mistress whispering ideas to her man in bed because that is her domain of control and of course it the man who carries out the act of the naming because only men can do important things. This could not be further from the truth.

Nigeria was named by Flora Shaw but not as a consequence her relationship with Lord Lugard as most people believe. She wrote an article in the London Times of January 8, 1897 suggesting that the territory around the Niger, which was then controlled by the Royal Niger Company, should be called Nigeria.

At the time she was the colonial editor of the London times in the 1890s. She had a column titled the colony, it appeared weekly. She wrote many articles about the acquisition of territories in Africa in the 1900’s and was considered as an expert on the issue. Her achievement in becoming the colonial editor of the London times was quite extraordinary. The paper was the leading voice at the time and widely regarded as one of the best.

Flora Shaw was unique in the way she wrote particularly about economic matters affecting the African Colonies. To be a serious female journalist in those times in a field dominated by male journalists meant she had to be really good at what she did. It was for these reasons that when proposed the name Nigeria people considered it seriously.

The Royal Niger Company was instrumental in bringing the British Protectorate to the area we now know as Nigeria. Flora by virtue of her job knew on a personal basis all the major players involved in the extending of the British Empire to this region and she came to think of herself as a critical player. Her credibility as writer and economic/political commentator was without question. There have been some suggestions that by virtue of her feminine charms she was able to develop relationships with empire builders like Lord Lugard and Dr Joseph Chamberlain that afforded her in-depth knowledge which she used to write her articles. Her letters would suggest that she was no leech though as she also advised them on a range of issues given her knowledge of the area.

Now this is not to say that Miss Shaw was perfect. Many of her ideologies as represented in her articles were imperialist, she was a firm crusader for the British Empire. She saw Africans as inferior, uncivilised beings compared to the British. She believed colonialism was a benevolent construct of the empire, spreading good wherever it went and incapable of evil. She also put forward as a trial name Goldiesia, named after the head of the Royal Niger Company, Goldie. In the manner which Rhodesia was named after Dr Cecil Rhodes.

The main reason I even decided to find out this much about Flora Shaw and rid myself of complicity in the accusations of the first paragraph is because I wondered, if she was just an irrelevant mistress then why didn’t our founding fathers attempt to change the name at our independence? The answer is they did. The name Nigeria Songhai was considered, a tribute to the famous ancient Songhai Empire in Western Sudan. The name Nigeria was practical for a myriad of reasons but in the end most agreed that the argument put forward by Flora Shaw was good enough to retain the name. The river Niger, the great river of Africa, with its over 20 tributaries and channels touched the lives of Nigerians one way or another thus we all feel connected by it.

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44
http://www.romancemeetslife.com/2013/04/naming-nigeria-flora-shaw-and-sexism.html
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by brownhawk: 3:29pm On Jun 13, 2017
kingzizzy:

Look if you are tired of the name Lugards wife gave you, come to me, theres another River in my village I can name you after
if that's how you want to put it then yes I'm proud of the Nigeria name Mrs lugard gave me if it wasn't for the British who civilized your naked eastern ass you stupid so called developers would still be running around butt naked in your villages
Re: Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" by piagetskinner(m): 3:38pm On Jun 13, 2017
conductor5:
She and her husband (Fruadrick Luggard) put us in this mess.

Flora, anywhere you are, Thunder continue pouring on you for lumping us in this zoo with animals in human skins.

Flora, may you never be happy until the day this Nigger area crumbles.

God punish you Flora.
she can't hear u Oga...she don kpai since

ur curse /prayer is immaterial...she's either in heaven or hell

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Convoy Shooting: Report Yourself Or Be Declared Wanted, Police Tells Melaye / How El-Zakzaky Was Expelled From ABU, Zaria In 1979 For Violence - The Cable / Omojuwa Reacts To Police Shooting Charly Boy And Protesters With Water Canon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.