Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims (1455 Views)

Warning—apple Suddenly Catches Tiktok Secretly Spying On Millions Of Iphone User / How Smartphones Are Ruining Our Conversations And Lifestyle / How Smartphones Are Gradually Damaging Your Eyes - MUST READ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Jacinta44(f): 4:53pm On Jun 13, 2017
I thank God Am Not Using Samsung.
Just Saw This In My browser News Feed.

Samsung are collecting data connected to users’ online activity, a new report claims.

The report suggested that the Korean manufacturer has integrated a technology known as ‘beacon’ which can collect information regarding specific content and potentially email messages.

Privacy watchdogs have accused Samsung of tricking users into agreeing to the use of beacons without knowing what they are.

Samsung has denied the allegations.

Jim Killock, Executive Director of Open Rights Group, told The Sun that Samsung is becoming a “peeping Tom” and it is “taking spying on their customers to a whole new level.”

In Samsung’s privacy policy it states, “We, along with certain third parties, also may use technologies called beacons or pixels that communicate information from your device to a server.”

“We would like to assure our customers that ultrasonic beacon technology is not embedded on Samsung mobile devices. Our privacy policy on beacons applies to the use of web beacons, a technology that is widely used across the industry and differs significantly to that of ultrasonic beacons. There is no relation between ultrasonic beacons and the functions embedded in our mobile products,” Samsung says.

“If you’re not paying attention to the permissions you grant, you could be feeding marketers and other entities information about your online browsing, what stores you go to and your product preferences without realising it,” Tristan Liverpool, Director of Systems Engineering, F5 Networks, said.

Samsung are certainly not the only company to use beacons with Apple using similar technology on many of their services.

Apple however claim that they do not share data with any third parties and IP addresses are kept secret.

The news comes after some of the world’s best known brands were found to be using the controversial beacons in their mobile apps.

The apps, from brands such as McDonald’s and Krispy Kreme, were found to be tracking users in the Philippines.

The app are designed to pick up ‘ultrasonic’ sounds, inaudible to the human ear.

The technology works by listening out for signals from the audio in TV adverts. The signals are so high pitched that they are inaudible to human ears.

When the apps hear the signal it then starts tracking information on the user such as their location and what they are watching on TV.

The information gathered then enables companies to specifically target users with advertisements.

Last month, Google said it banned apps which used the ultrasonic tracking technology to spy on users.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/samsung-smartphones-secretly-spying-users-report-claims/22255/
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by TundeSalamu(m): 4:58pm On Jun 13, 2017
This one is not news.

All smartphones, especially this bigwigs spy on users.

I pity all these oloshos that will be doing nonsense with their phone nearby.

They can even hack your front camera.

fear oyibo pipu!
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Ennyholar: 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2017
Hope the new Cx I got doesn't spy on us too. I just got it Last week.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Ennyholar: 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2017
TundeSalamu:
This one is not news.

All smartphones, especially this bigwigs spy on users.

I pity all these oloshos that will be doing nonsense with their phone nearby.

They can even hack your front camera.

fear oyibo pipu!
That's how most celebrities nude get leaked.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by TundeSalamu(m): 5:02pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ennyholar:

truly a man's enemies are in his household.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Ejadike(m): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2017
Chai and I'm also using a Samsung alongside my infinite, so they've been monitoring my life since sha, I think I should sue samsung, who's with me on this?
We'll be racking in a huge amount oo
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Behankey(m): 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2017
That's crazy. Spying on users? How true is this? And I hope.it's limited to Samsung? Trust the likes of Tecno and Infinix not to indulge in this act.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by bravesoul247(m): 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2017
That's an infringement on someone's privacy na. I know my devices won't do that to me.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by bravesoul247(m): 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ejadike:
Good bless my tecno device... meanwhile, I think I should sue samsung, who's with me on this?
seconded man! Let's sue there ass.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 13, 2017
Nokia symbian E5 no front camera. How you want to spy? grin maybe through Keyboard
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by SleekMadam: 8:40pm On Jun 13, 2017
This is all shades of wrong, but thank God I no dey use Samsung and I trust infinix will not try that . Else, it's time to port
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Queentito(f): 8:42pm On Jun 13, 2017
How credible is this information?

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by MrBONE2(m): 8:51pm On Jun 13, 2017
My Nokia E71 cant do that,If it can do that i shall spiritually Guwarad it to Atlantic Ocean. grin
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Youngpo413: 10:04pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ennyholar:
Hope the new Cx I got doesn't spy on us too. I just got it Last week.
smartphones not smartcrap, needless to worry.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Youngpo413: 10:08pm On Jun 13, 2017
A whole Samsung spying on people,how absurd...
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by shiftback: 8:28am On Jun 14, 2017
I'm not surprised. How many of us read privacy policy in this country. If you know the amount of data Google/Facebook and other tech giants have on you aswear you'll be scared to use the internet. It's all for advertising methinks, so they can tailor adverts to us by studying all the data we give out weneva we use the internet.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by dejiWEST: 1:05pm On Jun 14, 2017
Wow that's very bad tho
Ennyholar:

Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by dejiWEST: 1:07pm On Jun 14, 2017
Well their reasons might be genuine but their methods are scary, I guess we'll have to read that long Hass terms and conditions now grin

shiftback:
I'm not surprised. How many of us read privacy policy in this country. If you know the amount of data Google/Facebook and other tech giants have on you aswear you'll be scared to use the internet. It's all for advertising methinks, so they can tailor adverts to us by studying all the data we give out weneva we use the internet.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Abiodunspectre(m): 1:13pm On Jun 14, 2017
I think no smartphone company will be un smart enough to compromise the privacy of it customer...I believe Samsung as a brand won't allow such act.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by MizMyColi(f): 1:28pm On Jun 14, 2017
Ejadike:
Chai and I'm also using a Samsung alongside my infinite, so they've been monitoring my life since sha, I think I should sue samsung, who's with me on this?

What kind of Samsung phone do you use?
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by shiftback: 9:45pm On Jun 14, 2017
dejiWEST:
Well their reasons might be genuine but their methods are scary, I guess we'll have to read that long Hass terms and conditions now grin

I bet you won't get past the first paragraph before throwing in the towel. Too many jargons that one doesn't understand.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Ejadike(m): 2:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
MizMyColi:

What kind of Samsung phone do you use?
Samsung note 3
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by OluwaSemilore12: 8:18pm On Jun 16, 2017
For real? This is serious, I'm sure it's hidden somewhere in the terms and conditions but as per Nigerians we don't read before clicking agree
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by scarycuteface(m): 1:17pm On Jun 17, 2017
Behankey:
That's crazy. Spying on users? How true is this? And I hope.it's limited to Samsung? Trust the likes of Tecno and Infinix not to indulge in this act.
It will suck if these OEMs do that too. Because most phone users in this part of the world use Tecno and the likes.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Jacinta44(f): 2:42pm On Jan 08, 2018
OrestesDante:
Nokia symbian E5 no front camera.
How you want to spy? grin
maybe through Keyboard

se your head.
OP say samsun, this one carry E5 join the mata.
Na wa
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Jacinta44(f): 2:42pm On Jan 08, 2018
scarycuteface:
It will suck if these OEMs do that too. Because most phone users in this part of the world use Tecno and the likes.

Thank God, it does not.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 08, 2018
Jacinta44:

se your head. OP say samsun, this one carry E5 join the mata. Na wa
angry

∆ What is your own? ∆
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by scarycuteface(m): 7:36am On Jan 11, 2018
Jacinta44:

Thank God, it does not.
grin What if they do? They will have so many information already. But yeah, they don't
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Secretly Spying On Users, Report Claims by Skyfornia(m): 9:15pm On Apr 05, 2018
Jacinta44:
I thank God Am Not Using Samsung.
Just Saw This In My browser News Feed.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/samsung-smartphones-secretly-spying-users-report-claims/22255/

Happy birthday Jacinta

(1) (Reply)

My Sister's Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Not Connected To Network Issue / Importance Of Apn? / Infinix Note 3: Has Anyone Moved Apps From This Phone To Sd Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.