Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,773 members, 7,820,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped (473 Views)

Inside The £1.7m Flats Offered Rent Free To Grenfell Tower Survivors(photos). / London Fire Updates, Damages And Aftermath Of Grenfell Tower Inferno(Photos). / Baby Dropped From 10th Floor Of Grenfell Tower ‘caught By Man On Ground’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped by Iamsheye(m): 7:46am On Jun 16, 2017
When Grenfell Tower in west London caught on fire in the early hours of Wednesday, a number of its occupants were able to escape the blaze that killed many of their neighbours and has left many others unaccounted for. One of them was 15th floor resident Christos Fairbairn, 41, who has told his own story of that night.

Re: London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped by Iamsheye(m): 7:51am On Jun 16, 2017
I live on the 15th floor of Grenfell Tower. I moved there two years ago.
At around 12.45am on Wednesday morning I was watching TV when I heard aggressive knocking at my door. I heard more activity and noise outside and shortly after I heard an alarm go off in the building. I saw smoke coming into the flat and that's when I realised there was a fire.

I rang the fire service and they told me to get out. They said "Wrap a wet towel around yourself and get out of the block."
But I opened the door and the smoke was so thick I couldn't. I tried to leave the flat three times and each time the smoke was too thick.
I started to panic. I began banging on the window shouting: "Help me, help me, I'm stuck!" I tried to open the window but I burnt my hand on the melted plastic.
I could see police outside and people just standing there. It felt like they were just watching me. Then I realised if I don't go I would die here.
I wrapped a wet jumper around myself and ran out of the door with just the clothes on my back and my phone. The smoke was black and it was so hot and I couldn't breathe but I kept going.
Re: London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped by Thejustw14(m): 7:51am On Jun 16, 2017
Lucky you.:!:.
Re: London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped by Iamsheye(m): 7:54am On Jun 16, 2017
could feel myself tripping over in the dark. I was tripping over bodies. On one of the floors I tripped badly and fell, as I looked up I saw a the face of a dead man.
I can still picture him now.
As I got to the third or fourth floor I was choking and couldn't breath. I started to feel faint. I collapsed and that's when I felt a firefighter grab me.
I went to hospital and was treated for smoke inhalation. I had so much poison in my lungs. I was crying and having flashbacks.
Now I am left with nothing and have nowhere to live. But the council have paid for a room for me in Earls Court in London where I am staying now.

I can't believe I am alive. I will never forget what and how traumatising it was. I know I will never live in a tower block again.
I feel lucky to be alive but I am devastated for those who were injured and lost their lives. Life is so short I know I will see my family and friends more now and appreciate the life I have. I shouldn't be here today but I am, and for that I am thankful."

Re: London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped by Iamsheye(m): 7:56am On Jun 16, 2017
Lalasticlala seun mynd44 Mukina2
Re: London Fire: How One Grenfell Tower Resident Escaped by otokx(m): 3:50pm On Jun 18, 2017
incredible

(1) (Reply)

Situation In Kenya: Pray For Kenya / Lord Resigns From The British Government For Being Late / police raid Elysee palace bc of manhandling of protesters by president aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.