Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

What Is Repentance? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Repentance? (3190 Views)

What Is Repentance And How Does It Relate To Salvation? / Is Repentance Without Restitution Enough? / Former Prostitute Marks 3 Months Of Not Having Sex After Her Repentance. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Repentance? by ibinaboonline: 7:15am On Jun 18, 2017
Many understand the term repentance (from the Greek word metanoia) to mean “turning from sin.” This is not the biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word repent means “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8-14; Acts 3:19). Acts 26:20 declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.” The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

What, then, is the connection between repentance and salvation? The Book of Acts seems to especially focus on repentance in regards to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind in regard to Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about Him, to recognize that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds from rejection of Christ as the Messiah to faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior.

Repentance and faith can be understood as “two sides of the same coin.” It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about who He is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

It is crucially important that we understand repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation. No one can repent and come to God unless God pulls that person to Himself (John 6:44). Acts 5:31 and 11:18 indicate that repentance is something God gives—it is only possible because of His grace. No one can repent unless God grants repentance. All of salvation, including repentance and faith, is a result of God drawing us, opening our eyes, and changing our hearts. God's longsuffering leads us to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), as does His kindness (Romans 2:4).

While repentance is not a work that earns salvation, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly and fully change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:cool. A person who has truly repented from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19-23; James 2:14-26). Repentance, properly defined, is necessary for salvation. Biblical repentance is changing your mind about Jesus Christ and turning to God in faith for salvation (Acts 3:19). Turning from sin is not the definition of repentance, but it is one of the results of genuine, faith-based repentance towards the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Repentance? by aysnoopy(m): 7:19am On Jun 18, 2017
I surrender all
Re: What Is Repentance? by hopefulLandlord: 7:20am On Jun 18, 2017
hmmmm
Re: What Is Repentance? by Pavore9: 7:28am On Jun 18, 2017
Certainly not pausing because one has been caught but a deep reflection over what one has been engaged in and the acceptance that it does not strengthen one's relationship with his/her Creator and men of goodwill.

1 Like

Re: What Is Repentance? by frubben(m): 7:30am On Jun 18, 2017
Okay ooooo. We don hear. It's Sunday everybody wan turn pastor

1 Like

Re: What Is Repentance? by sundilazo(m): 7:31am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance is when you smoke 6 wraps of weed daily, then u later reduce it to 2 wraps. that is repentance in my own point of view.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Repentance? by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 18, 2017
Just here to read comments...

meanwhile here are
8 gross practices that was supported by the bible
Re: What Is Repentance? by oladoja1(m): 7:31am On Jun 18, 2017
kk
Re: What Is Repentance? by Nobody: 7:32am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance is when you repent..
Re: What Is Repentance? by oladoja1(m): 7:32am On Jun 18, 2017
sundilazo:
Repentance is when you smoke 6 wraps of weed daily, then u later reduce it to 2 wraps. that is repentance in my own point of view.
chai
Re: What Is Repentance? by Pavore9: 7:32am On Jun 18, 2017
sundilazo:

That is a good and gradual change.
Re: What Is Repentance? by seunny4lif(m): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2017
sundilazo:
Hallelujahchallenge weed grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Repentance? by etainment360(m): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2017
sundilazo:

grin grin if i tok na...well it is your point of view

1 Like

Re: What Is Repentance? by sakalisis(m): 7:34am On Jun 18, 2017
Re: What Is Repentance? by seunny4lif(m): 7:35am On Jun 18, 2017
Dlordsamurai:
Repentance is when you repent..
That's all

2 Likes

Re: What Is Repentance? by seunny4lif(m): 7:36am On Jun 18, 2017
oladoja1:

chai
I tell ya

Re: What Is Repentance? by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 18, 2017
seunny4lif:

That's all
That's all na..
every other explanation i give is wasting of my battery..
The main point is repentance is when you repent.
Re: What Is Repentance? by MrImole: 7:37am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance is confessing one's sin with the promise never to go back to that sin...

1 Like

Re: What Is Repentance? by Victornezzar: 7:38am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance means truly accepting Jesus Christ as ur personal Lord and saviour
U accept
belive
confess

1 Like

Re: What Is Repentance? by seunny4lif(m): 7:39am On Jun 18, 2017
Dlordsamurai:
That's all na..
every other explanation i give is wasting of my battery..
The main point is repentance is when you repent.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Repentance? by Iseoluwani: 7:41am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance is the finished work of God through his son Jesus for the remission of our sins that we might have life and have it abundantly
Re: What Is Repentance? by SteveMarvic: 7:41am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance is when you stop listening to chuku chuku song and you start listening to praising the lord always wink
Re: What Is Repentance? by HarunaWest(m): 7:55am On Jun 18, 2017
sundilazo:

Re: What Is Repentance? by twilliamx(m): 8:01am On Jun 18, 2017
R
Re: What Is Repentance? by wokemzine: 8:13am On Jun 18, 2017
Waiting for NwaAmaikpe's own defintion.

Happy sunday all
Re: What Is Repentance? by Omooba77: 8:15am On Jun 18, 2017
It comes from the heart and goes along with Resistitution Luke 19:1-8
Re: What Is Repentance? by wunmi590(m): 8:30am On Jun 18, 2017
Re: What Is Repentance? by Segadem(m): 8:58am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance is repentance
Re: What Is Repentance? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 18, 2017
Repentance is simply dedicating oneself to Jesus Christ our Lord.

Re: What Is Repentance? by SUNDICOS(m): 9:11am On Jun 18, 2017
Pastoral work
Re: What Is Repentance? by SUNDICOS(m): 9:12am On Jun 18, 2017
emrain:
Repentance is simply dedicating oneself to Jesus Christ our Lord.
this one na confirme Bro J

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Pastor Kumuyi A Thief / Jesus Healed Using Cannabis, Study Shows - Exodus 30, Verses 22 – 30 / Another Gospel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.