Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,975 members, 7,825,040 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

World Sickle Cell Day - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Sickle Cell Day (6447 Views)

June 19, World Sickle Cell Day / See Photos Of US Embassy Commemoration Of World Sickle Cell Day / Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Tgul(f): 6:19pm On Jun 19, 2017
This is the first time I would say am coming out openly to say am a warrior as you all term it. Am alive, am strong and healthy. I have been able to achieve basically all I want to. I will be 27 in july and yes am a Graduate Assistant Lecturer in one of the Universities. Every Sickle Cell Patient reacts diffrently. So for me, I haven't had crises since 2006 or any form of transfusion. The last was in 2006 after my Waec, I was in a boarding school, I had malaria and typhoid. So it wasn't actually crisis that got me admitted or transfused with blood it was the regular 9ja sickness. Relationship hasn't been easy though as the people that fall in love with me are always AS so they end up leaving. As for dying, there are a lot of things that take people's lives so that does not mean a sickler is dying tomorrow. So continue to fight all warriors in the house God is the one that gives life. I am not on any medication or routine drugs like folic acid et al. I quite those a long time ago because I didn't want my body to be dependant on any drugs. I always dress for the weather, eat right and take a lot of fluids. The Doctor I once dated had to even run a test on me because he thought I was lying, Thats how healthy I am. To those who seem they can't make it or be anything, you Definitly can just get to it and stop the pity, stay away from anyone that would cause you pain both emotionally or phycologically you need all the happiness you can get. Stay Blessed!!

6 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by chrish(f): 10:48pm On Jun 19, 2017
long live all Warriors

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by kaakaa1(m): 10:00am On Jun 20, 2017
Abali1:
Today, June 19, is a day set aside by WHO as World Sickle Day.
I am here today, because I have survived. Battles have been fought, casualties recorded, and comrades lost(in this fight against Sickle Cell).
We will soldier on. We will keep lending our voices to the fight against Sickle Cell. No matter how obstinate or nonchalant the rest are about the scourge, we owe a duty to ourselves to make our voices heard.
No matter, how much others disdain us, we owe a duty to ourselves to make our voices heard.
No matter how loud and deafening the silence is, by those who are supposed to know better. We owe a duty to ourselves to make our voices heard.
The scars are there.
The pain has not gone away.
The midnight tears, is a constant reminder of the battles we have to fight.
But above all else, I have SURVIVED.
Happy World Sickle Cell Day.

I remember losing my cousin to Sickle Cell Anaemia.... God will keep y'all through it and you'd be living testimonies even as we try to find a scientific way out....
God Bless!

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by swagficient(m): 12:55am On Jun 21, 2017
CaraJewel:
So today is world ss day.and am having crisis
You will pull through dear. Get well soon.
You are pretty, you know?
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by ritajohn: 3:04am On Jun 21, 2017
I think more awareness and sensitization should by done on this issue to better educate people. I'm glad the UN was able to make this an annual event. I still believe there are areas to work on.
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by oganaij: 3:24am On Jun 21, 2017
My heart goes out to people suffering from sickle cell. I pray for and with them always. Like @ritajohn stated above, more awareness and sensitisation need to be done for people to better understand what causes sickle cell and how it can be treated.
http://www.oganaij.com.ng/2017/06/nigeria-celebrates-world-sickle-cell.html?m=1
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by CaraJewel(f): 8:25am On Jun 21, 2017
swagficient:
You will pull through dear. Get well soon. You are pretty, you know?
Thanks
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 21, 2017
I'm sorry about your brother. My well wishes to you and your 2-year old cousin.

Jaydenphoenix:
I am a sickle cell survivor..@ 33. I lost a brother to the menace also

Unfortunately, I have a 2yr old nephew with the condition because his parents were stupidly in love. I feel for him

I am hoping to live longer smiley and probably find someone that wants to marry a sickler
Re: World Sickle Cell Day by chijen(f): 9:48am On Jun 21, 2017
I am a proud warrior, I will be 35 soon, a proud mum, an entrepreneur, no leg ulcers, clear skin, in fact I look very healthy but have a petite physique. Sickle cell handling comes from your mindset, your spirituality, food and love you receive. I do have my occasional crisis but the last time I visited the hospital was in 2014 ,when I had my baby via CS. God saw me through it all, I survived and stayed two weeks post delivery which is the longest I have stayed in the hospital. Watch what you eat and always be positive and worry less. No need proving anything to anyone.love yourself first. I hope to tell my story someday.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: World Sickle Cell Day by ony123: 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2017
Sickle cell patients need our support because of the frequent health crisis they go through. I found this new platform www.healthsupportgroups.com very useful for them to form a forum and share their experiences together

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19: Enugu Confirms 22 New Cases Within 3 Days / COVID-19 Update For October 19 2020 In Nigeria / COVID-19 Update For June 21 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.