Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Ango Abdullahi Bares It All - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ango Abdullahi Bares It All (489 Views)

Why Fulani Herdsmen Kill - Ango Abdullahi Says / Ango Abdullahi Backs Quit Notice To Igbos Issued By Northern Youths / Ango Abdullahi Replies Emir Sanusi Over His Comments About The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ango Abdullahi Bares It All by NASTYNASOSO: 7:30am On Jun 21, 2017
Excerpts from Punch interview with Prof. Ango Abdullahi Q: Southerners are angry that you attempted to rewrite history by saying that money from the North was used to develop the South. Why are you trying to rewrite history? A: I am not rewriting history. My teacher in Barewa College has compiled the economic status of Nigeria from 1914 to 1960 and if you care to find that document, you will find what the financial relationships were between the Federal and the regional governments and how funds were moving from one part of the country to the other. That is one. You can look for it, you will get it. I can also tell you that the resources of the North were the basic sources of infrastructural development in this country, talking about the railway, the ports and so on and so forth. There is no question about that one. Also without doubt, the resources of the North were used for the exploitation of oil. You go and ask the first Minister of Mines, Power and Steel Resource (that was in charge of the oil portfolio in the First Republic), who is the longest serving up till date, Maitama Sule, he served as minister for six years. Shell asked him, this money that you are taking from the North, is it an investment or a loan? And our leaders at the time said the money belonged to a part of Nigeria and one day, the whole of Nigeria would benefit from it. So you see when some stupid comments keep coming from people who really did nothing about oil industry development and so on, I call oil money idle money. This is money that Nigerians have not worked for. The development of a country is not dependent on idle funds, which oil money is. You have to work for things and that is why from northern Nigeria where farmers are toiling to feed the country, they send goods outside the country and so on. Up till 1974, the foreign exchange of this country was dependent on exports of agricultural products, mostly from the North. So if people are not quite literate about the history of Nigeria, they should please go and read a lot more and they will be able to understand what I am saying. Q: Are you denying the fact that Nigeria made money from other regions like the South-West, which had cocoa and the Mid-Western Region that had palm oil and so on? A: Of course, I agree. We agree! We agree! But all the same, the colonial masters that were running the affairs of the country had records and how funds were used to balance the budgets of the various regions and how the North played a major role in balancing budgets of even governments in the southern part of the country. Records are available; you go and check them. It was up till 1974 when commercial exports of crude oil began to really take over from agricultural exports; that is why I’m referring to 1974. And you go and check the speeches of Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.) in his last year in office and so on, when the oil exports began to manifest. For example, during the civil war, this country didn’t borrow a kobo to prosecute the war for three years under the leadership of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a ‘veteran person’, who knew how to manage small resources.[i]Excerpts from Punch interview with Prof. Ango Abdullahi Q: Southerners are angry that you attempted to rewrite history by saying that money from the North was used to develop the South. Why are you trying to rewrite history? A: I am not rewriting history. My teacher in Barewa College has compiled the economic status of Nigeria from 1914 to 1960 and if you care to find that document, you will find what the financial relationships were between the Federal and the regional governments and how funds were moving from one part of the country to the other. That is one. You can look for it, you will get it. I can also tell you that the resources of the North were the basic sources of infrastructural development in this country, talking about the railway, the ports and so on and so forth. There is no question about that one. Also without doubt, the resources of the North were used for the exploitation of oil. You go and ask the first Minister of Mines, Power and Steel Resource (that was in charge of the oil portfolio in the First Republic), who is the longest serving up till date, Maitama Sule, he served as minister for six years. Shell asked him, this money that you are taking from the North, is it an investment or a loan? And our leaders at the time said the money belonged to a part of Nigeria and one day, the whole of Nigeria would benefit from it. So you see when some stupid comments keep coming from people who really did nothing about oil industry development and so on, I call oil money idle money. This is money that Nigerians have not worked for. The development of a country is not dependent on idle funds, which oil money is. You have to work for things and that is why from northern Nigeria where farmers are toiling to feed the country, they send goods outside the country and so on. Up till 1974, the foreign exchange of this country was dependent on exports of agricultural products, mostly from the North. So if people are not quite literate about the history of Nigeria, they should please go and read a lot more and they will be able to understand what I am saying. Q: Are you denying the fact that Nigeria made money from other regions like the South-West, which had cocoa and the Mid-Western Region that had palm oil and so on? A: Of course, I agree. We agree! We agree! But all the same, the colonial masters that were running the affairs of the country had records and how funds were used to balance the budgets of the various regions and how the North played a major role in balancing budgets of even governments in the southern part of the country. Records are available; you go and check them. It was up till 1974 when commercial exports of crude oil began to really take over from agricultural exports; that is why I’m referring to 1974. And you go and check the speeches of Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.) in his last year in office and so on, when the oil exports began to manifest. For example, during the civil war, this country didn’t borrow a kobo to prosecute the war for three years under the leadership of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a ‘veteran person’, who knew how to manage small resources.[/i]Excerpts from Punch interview with Prof. Ango Abdullahi Q: Southerners are angry that you attempted to rewrite history by saying that money from the North was used to develop the South. Why are you trying to rewrite history? A: I am not rewriting history. My teacher in Barewa College has compiled the economic status of Nigeria from 1914 to 1960 and if you care to find that document, you will find what the financial relationships were between the Federal and the regional governments and how funds were moving from one part of the country to the other. That is one. You can look for it, you will get it. I can also tell you that the resources of the North were the basic sources of infrastructural development in this country, talking about the railway, the ports and so on and so forth. There is no question about that one. Also without doubt, the resources of the North were used for the exploitation of oil. You go and ask the first Minister of Mines, Power and Steel Resource (that was in charge of the oil portfolio in the First Republic), who is the longest serving up till date, Maitama Sule, he served as minister for six years. Shell asked him, this money that you are taking from the North, is it an investment or a loan? And our leaders at the time said the money belonged to a part of Nigeria and one day, the whole of Nigeria would benefit from it. So you see when some stupid comments keep coming from people who really did nothing about oil industry development and so on, I call oil money idle money. This is money that Nigerians have not worked for. The development of a country is not dependent on idle funds, which oil money is. You have to work for things and that is why from northern Nigeria where farmers are toiling to feed the country, they send goods outside the country and so on. Up till 1974, the foreign exchange of this country was dependent on exports of agricultural products, mostly from the North. So if people are not quite literate about the history of Nigeria, they should please go and read a lot more and they will be able to understand what I am saying. Q: Are you denying the fact that Nigeria made money from other regions like the South-West, which had cocoa and the Mid-Western Region that had palm oil and so on? A: Of course, I agree. We agree! We agree! But all the same, the colonial masters that were running the affairs of the country had records and how funds were used to balance the budgets of the various regions and how the North played a major role in balancing budgets of even governments in the southern part of the country. Records are available; you go and check them. It was up till 1974 when commercial exports of crude oil began to really take over from agricultural exports; that is why I’m referring to 1974. And you go and check the speeches of Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.) in his last year in office and so on, when the oil exports began to manifest. For example, during the civil war, this country didn’t borrow a kobo to prosecute the war for three years under the leadership of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a ‘veteran person’, who knew how to manage small resources.
Re: Ango Abdullahi Bares It All by dodelight(m): 7:34am On Jun 21, 2017
This man is eternally delusional!
Only God can reset his brain.
Re: Ango Abdullahi Bares It All by BeardedMeat(m): 7:36am On Jun 21, 2017
I wonder when this old scum would become a vegetable also and be put out of his misery! embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Ango Abdullahi Bares It All by myola(m): 7:50am On Jun 21, 2017
What a love from north to south! And stupid enough to allowed britico to abandoned your region to developed other region! With your resources ! What a story!
Re: Ango Abdullahi Bares It All by menxer: 8:08am On Jun 21, 2017
Why are we always responding with insults instead of facts?

This man, whether he is right or not, is making claims based on facts available to him, why can't we refute his claims with facts also instead of insults?

(1) (Reply)

Senate To Pass Bill To Reduce High House Rents / Anambra Refutes Reports On Discovery Of Arms, Yams In Nnewi / Emir Sanusi Suspends Another Bayero’s Son For Alleged Disloyalty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.