Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,751 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It (2628 Views)

Can I Do Masters With A 3rd Class Degree In Europe (USA)? / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by magazineguy(m): 1:34pm On Jun 21, 2017
While I was at the university, my first year was pretty much spent playing and idling away my precious time. I didn’t take classes, tests or exams seriously; at least not as seriously as “the guys” in my class.

Let’s talk about “these guys“.

They were a set of students in my department who had a track record of scoring strictly A grades in examinations and tests. What was more annoying about them was that regardless of their dedication to their academics, they still had time to party hard and idle away with the rest of us!

The thought and reality of having great academic records while being a “cool kid” tugged at me for months and I made the resolution to be like the cool ones in my class who got the best grades, recommendations and respect from our lecturers.

Fast forward into my second year at the university, I was eager and ready to stack them As & Bs and also party and hangout as much as I wanted. Much to my expectation, I started to hang out with the smart kids and they immediately liked and accepted me into the clan, but that was only the beginning of the pressure.

Weekdays and weekends, you would find them studying like they had an exam to take the next day; I honestly couldn’t deal. There was really no pressure on me to study so hard, but how do you party or hangout with people you never want to study day and night with? There was always this dark cloud hanging around me every time I failed to show up to read with them, but would always be there to hangout. Lol.

As you wouldn’t guess, I stood my ground and created my own less stressful study routine – which pretty much consisted of participating in class activities a lot and only extensively reading 1-2 weeks before tests and exams.

Disclaimer: Do not adopt this unconventional method of study, you might not scale through it like I did. Thank you for your cooperation.

I pretty much flew through the next 2 years of college having these guys as mentors and really good friends. I didn’t exactly stack all A grades every semester, but I did have my fair share of A and B grades and my mama was proud of me just like that. Besides, I was pretty much already blooming as a budding entrepreneur, trying out one business idea or the other while keeping tabs on my academics.

However, trouble started in my finals when I started to nurse the idea of actually graduating with a first class degree just so I could make everyone proud of me. And by everyone I meant my family, roommates, friends, lecturers, schoolmates and the entire universe that probably didn’t even care if I existed or not.

I started to study more, research more, ask more questions, answer more questions, take tests and term papers a lot more seriously. At that moment, everything was a contributing factor to my dedication and success; I contested for elections, volunteered as a class rep. I pretty much even kissed a**, got insulted and ran errands for lecturers I didn’t even like. The struggle.

What happened next?

I got exhausted. I started to lose interest in everything I had gotten knee deep into. I realized I wasn’t thinking at the time of nursing a first class degree desire. What I failed to see was that I was doing a lot more than my colleagues in school; I had 2 active companies at the time, and combining them with all those academic and non-academic efforts were gradually killing me.

What I didn’t consider was that the people with whom I wanted to fly in high colors with only had their academics to worry about at that moment. Only a few of them had active businesses which were mostly carried out in the school environment. I had to do a lot of traveling to attend meetings and keep my businesses afloat as I had already shut down one of them the previous year.

So I stopped.

I didn’t so much care anymore. I stopped reading as much as I used to, I stopped volunteering for extracurricular activities, I applied to start my project afresh on a much simpler scale, I pretty much partied more, some of my friends and lecturers got mad me, didn’t care and I eventually and subconsciously settled for a worthy and stress free Second Class Upper Division degree for graduation.

To cut the long story short, I graduated with a Second Class Upper Division degree and I was more than happy and proud of myself. I bet my mum was proud of me even though she was laid 6 feet below the surface of the earth 4 weeks to my graduation.

It was something that I achieved in comfort and peace, it gave me the room and space to explore other aspects of my life rather than burying my head in textbooks or making the library my nirvana.

Epilogue:

I went on to set up 2 more businesses after graduation and I am proud to say that they are doing very well today. My experience afterwards made me understand that learning to set up and manage a business was my objective of studying Business Administration in school, not the misconstrued ideology of getting good grades and graduating in flying colors while robbing myself of my little happiness because I fantasized about graduating with a first class degree.

In life, if you cannot get the grades or achieve the things everyone expects you to, get the grades or achievements that you can comfortably get and can boast of, because in the end, your happiness, knowledge and experience is all you’ve got.

Do not give in to family, peer, academic or societal pressures. Good grades or not, people would still celebrate with you as long as you are doing something worthwhile. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Richard Branson can testify to this. I repeat, do not give in to societal pressures!

Au revoire!

Culled from; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/didnt-graduate-first-class-degree-happy/

lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2017
oh man...know thyself....
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by TheHistorian(m): 1:40pm On Jun 21, 2017
Grades arent the measure of intelligence.

Beyond the school gates,The real GENIUS are identified.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 21, 2017
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 21, 2017
Nice fiction

5 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Gmajor(m): 1:19am On Jun 22, 2017
truth be told, you never had first class on you.
You started way to late in your "first class" campaign.
#my2kobo

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by femi4: 7:42am On Jun 22, 2017
Gmajor:
truth be told, you never had first class on you.
You started way to late in your "first class" campaign.
#my2kobo
Its not about first class but identifying what you can do after school. How many first class chap are biz entrepreneur today in Nigeria
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Dface2: 8:39am On Jun 22, 2017
Download Project Topics and Materials for your Research Work!
@
www.projectreserve..com

Preparing to write your Final Year Project/Thesis and in need of the best project topics and materials at various levels (i.e Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Ph.D)?
Get it done with NO stress today.

Goto: www.projectreserve..com for downloads!
-----------------------------------------------
Are you also working on a FRESH Project Topic approved to you by your supervisor?
Or are you working on a project topic which is not listed or related to the topics we have on our site?
If "YES", then you have nothing to worry about as we are capable of developing a "NEW" research topic in various field of study.

Kindly click here: www.projectreserve..com.ng/p/hire-writer.html and follow the procedure to get started right away.

Contact our help desk today: 08074521866, 08066484965.
Our Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/projectreserve

NOTE: All research projects, Research Term Papers and Essays on our site are well researched, supervised and approved by lecturers who are intellectuals in their various fields of study.
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by eterisan(m): 10:24am On Jun 22, 2017
femi4:
Its not about first class but identifying what you can do after school. How many first class chap are biz entrepreneur today in Nigeria
How many do you know? Stop posting trash
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 22, 2017
cool I tire for all these grade palava! angry

Over 1million applied for N-power, do you want to tell me that those who applied are third class and 2:2....

I'm sure there are 2:1 and first class

Bottom line: Study hard to achieve academic success as a student and Work hard to achieve success in life as a Man.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 22, 2017
femi4:

Don't say that. There are people who are first class and at the same time successful people.

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by femi4: 11:04am On Jun 22, 2017
OrestesDante:

Don't say that. There are people who are first class and at the same time successful people.
List them
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by femi4: 11:05am On Jun 22, 2017
eterisan:

How many do you know? Stop posting trash
Illiterate
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 22, 2017
same old same old....
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 22, 2017
femi4:
List them
Use google bro!

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 22, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
Nice fiction

LOL

Anyone who READ through all that must deserve some kind of award...
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Xsem(m): 12:43pm On Jun 22, 2017
alignacademy:

LOL

Where is mine??

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Linzo(m): 1:21pm On Jun 22, 2017
Whenever someone who cannot attained the feet of first class try to ridicule the highest academic achievement that is respected all over the world I got marveled. Bill Gates, Zukerberg etc where first class products but couldn't graduate because of personal reasons.
Irrespective of whatever ideology some people have about first class in this country, first class still remain the best grade to achieve from the university whether you like it or not.
Even with the bad system we have here in Nigeria, a first class graduate in this country is 90% well positioned than other lower grades. During my service year in 2014 in rivers state, the few first class graduates among us got employed right in the camp by zenith bank, gtbank and others.
Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by femi4: 2:41pm On Jun 22, 2017
Linzo:
Whenever someone who cannot attained the feet of first class try to ridicule the highest academic achievement that is respected all over the world I got marveled. Bill Gates, Zukerberg etc where first class products but couldn't graduate because of personal reasons.
Irrespective of whatever ideology some people have about first class in this country, first class still remain the best grade to achieve from the university whether you like it or not.
Even with the bad system we have here in Nigeria, a first class graduate in this country is 90% well positioned than other lower grades. During my service year in 2014 in rivers state, the few first class graduates among us got employed right in the camp by zenith bank, gtbank and others.
How can working in a bank be the best achievement for a first class graduate. That's the problem with this Country..... If you don't take up challenging careers, or be an entrepreneur or go fully into academics, then your First class changes nothing cos whatever you do in the banking sector can be done successfully by 2.1 and 2.2 graduates.

What Nigeria need now are problem solvers in job and wealth creation.

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by jayloms: 3:58pm On Jun 22, 2017
Nice fiction.

There's nothing to making a first class grade really. Just keep ur focus and maintain one girl.

Was only on first class at the last lap of my studies , babes nor allow me concentrate grin

I was always deceiving myself going to arts and management faculties like I was going to read, when in fact I was only going there for sight seeing and follow up grin my head always rotating to every corner, taking samples grin

Plus I had idiotic pervs as friends lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 22, 2017
Not everyone, is cut out to be an entrepreneur
femi4:
How can working in a bank be the best achievement for a first class graduate. That's the problem with this Country..... If you don't take up challenging careers, or be an entrepreneur or go fully into academics, then your First class changes nothing cos whatever you do in the banking sector can be done successfully by 2.1 and 2.2 graduates.

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Nobody: 1:37am On Jun 23, 2017
alignacademy:

LOL

lol I stopped reading at first paragraph

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by GdexFolami(m): 7:27am On Jun 23, 2017
jayloms:
Nice fiction.

There's nothing to making a first class grade really. Just keep ur focus and maintain one girl.

Was only on first class at the last lap of my studies , babes nor allow me concentrate grin

I was always deceiving myself going to arts and management faculties like I was going to read, when in fact I was only going there for sight seeing and follow up grin my head always rotating to every corner, taking samples grin

Plus I had idiotic pervs as friends lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Graduate With A First Class Degree And I Am Happy About It by Linzo(m): 11:12am On Jun 23, 2017
femi4:

Then universities and other higher institutions should be scrapped for everybody to become entrepreneurs or the problem solvers and wealth creation. I didn't mean these guys were all absorbed by banks , so took other offers from companies.
What is wrong in working or getting employed as a first class graduate and there after you raise money and establish yourself?.
Please for goodness sake stop making it look as if going is a waste and getting first class doesn't worth it. If you're into business fine and good and stop discouraging other into schooling.

(1) (Reply)

Lookalike Mom And Daughter Graduate From Same University On The Same Day(Photos) / The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University / City College Of Health Sciences And Technology, Zaria Fully Accredited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.