Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,694 members, 7,955,625 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:09 AM

Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant (31136 Views)

Prof Olanike Adeyemo Wins ‘scientist Of The Year 2020’ Award / Top 10 Greatest Scientist Of Time / Ekiti Student Becomes Best Young Scientist Of The Year. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by sshalom(m): 2:42pm On Jun 22, 2017
The kind of news that gladdens the heart.
Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by hero2000: 3:26pm On Jun 22, 2017
None of una commend Gov. Fayose for recognizing such feat and awarding scholarship. Some governor might not do such.
Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by benji93: 3:57pm On Jun 22, 2017
young nigerian scientist award ke, Nigerians and exaggeration,he is not even a scientist, i excelled in science objective questions a scientist, i can therefore conclude that some or even most of the so called educated Nigerians don't even know when a person deserves to be called a scientist.We don dey carry last for science no be today.

1 Like

Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by benji93: 4:19pm On Jun 22, 2017
sirusX:

I do hope Nigeria gives him the opportunity to thrive...cz the money is not just meant for school fees alone, but to enable him carry out research that can lead to pioneer discoveries in science and technology; applying knowledge from core subjects learnt in school.

But I think that might be a challenge, cz we focus more on paper than what really is necessary for our university system in Nigeria.
May God guide our leaders right...we need something different from the norm year after year
As much as i am not against awards given to students for their excellence over their peers in the memorization of methods of solving predefined problems in very very basic science, you dont give people money to pursue research activities until they have proven their mettle.that should be in the tertiary institutions.Mind you their are some scientists that are more theoretical than they are practical, but theoretical science(physics for instance) is probably as important as its complementary practical knowledge, you dont conduct an experimental research work, without a purpose or a direction, the theories serve to guide our experimental work, theories could be advanced development of knowledge gained from previous experiments or theories, sometimes a theory could be a total departure from precedence,and those usually lead to breakthroughs.So focusing on paper should be part of our university system. At the research level, it is necessary.so probably you meant to say that, we only read science literature, we largely do not contribute to it.
Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by emmyniftyyem: 6:00pm On Jun 22, 2017
Wish you well. This can only take you higher in life.
Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by Peace2love: 6:03pm On Jun 22, 2017
Nice one. Good news for the day.
Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by sirusX(m): 6:51pm On Jun 22, 2017
benji93:

As much as i am not against awards given to students for their excellence over their peers in the memorization of methods of solving predefined problems in very very basic science, you dont give people money to pursue research activities until they have proven their mettle.that should be in the tertiary institutions.Mind you their are some scientists that are more theoretical than they are practical, but theoretical science(physics for instance) is probably as important as its complementary practical knowledge, you dont conduct an experimental research work, without a purpose or a direction, the theories serve to guide our experimental work, theories could be advanced development of knowledge gained from previous experiments or theories, sometimes a theory could be a total departure from precedence,and those usually lead to breakthroughs.So focusing on paper should be part of our university system. At the research level, it is necessary.so probably you meant to say that, we only read science literature, we largely do not contribute to it.

I get all you said...but what I mean is a balance. Not just for us to read paper, acquire certificate then it's all over.

I mean a system where the practical aspect is imbibed in each student, so that people who have that flair, drive and intellect can be cultured into making things work.

Here in Nigeria, there are definitely undiscovered talents who never got the chance cz we did what we do best...continue a cycle

Regarding this case...like you rightly implied, it might end up being an underutilised resource cz I dunno what the young man can achieve at this stage. When I read through and saw that all he did was answer objective questions...then I realised he needs to do more; either advanced development of knowledge gained from previous experiments or theories, or a total departure from precedence. Initially, I thought he used his basic knowledge to do something out of the norm and thus was given a grant to follow up on a indepth research to make it better or more efficient
Re: Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant by labake1(f): 9:08pm On Jun 22, 2017
cbkingbeatz:
[b] smart guy!! Just arrange me 500k.. Sharp guy grin

Beggy beggy wink
Money is evil

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Private School Teachers Are Currently Benefiting From The Closure Of Schools. / ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. / Ekpo Iniobong Threatens To Sue Akwa Ibom University Over His Expulsion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.