Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,092 members, 7,953,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:23 PM

How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? (2556 Views)

What Will Happen If You Connect A Power Bank To Another. / Learn How To Build A Fuelless Generator And Make Money This Year (video)!!! / How To Build A Quadcopter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? by Tcode: 3:09am On Jun 23, 2017
How to Build a Power Bank from used laptop battery?

Charging device on the move has been made a lot easier over the years with the development of various portable power banks, instead of buying a new power bank you could make it more Eco-friendly by making one from used laptop battery if you have some basic knowledge of rechargeable lithium ion technology.

What if the laptop battery had been damaged? Literally we can still apply it to build a power bank. I know that you might be wondering how that is possible since the laptop battery is damaged already and can barely retain charge. It is possible because most times when your laptop battery gets bad or stops charging, it doesn’t primarily mean the whole battery is dead. It maybe as a result of a broken circuit inside the battery or one or two of the cells inside is dead not all. Since we usually have 6 to 12 cells inside, you can pick out the damaged ones and reuse the rest to build a power bank.

recycle_laptop_battery

Here is a tutorial to show you how to build a power bank.

Materials:

1.Old laptop battery

2.Power Bank Case ( you can buy in Amazon or eBay or Aliexpress from $4 to $5 for 8 slot batteries or you can go for lesser one depends on your choice )

Tools:

1.Screwdriver

2.Wire Cutter

3.Nose Pliers

4.Multimeter

5.USB voltage & capacity tester

6.Gloves & Goggles ( Not necessary but for safety concern )

STEPS:

1.Open the laptop battery case carefully by identifying the weak spot somewhere along the seam, insert a screwdriver and twist to separate.

2.Pry until the pack pops open with gloves and goggles.

3.Cut the wires and joints to separate the batteries.

4.Remove the taps and soldered metal tabs with nose pliers.

5.Apply the multimeter to measuring the voltages to identify the good cells.

Standards for good battery cells:

Identify-good-battery

I. Measure each cell voltage if it's less than 2.5v don't use it.

ii. Any cell that gets hot during charging remove it before closing the case.

6.Insert the good battery to the power bank slot , make sure the polarity is right.

7.Close the case and charge it with reliable USB cable and charger.

8.Test the output voltage and capacity of the homemade power bank with USB voltage & capacity tester.

That is all.
Re: How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? by Elmojiid(m): 4:08am On Jun 23, 2017
hmmm...just like that, u want pple to burn house abi.
Re: How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? by waleadex(m): 5:00am On Jun 23, 2017
Nice idea but can be dangerous...
Re: How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? by Tcode: 11:41am On Jun 23, 2017
Not as difficult as you think it's just like you are inserting battery into your transistor radio.
Here the picture of power bank case

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? by newbiefx: 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2017
Tcode:
Not as difficult as you think it's just like you are inserting battery into your transistor radio.
Here the picture of power bank case

Tcode,

please were can one get the case to buy, i have six of those batteries around, i almost threw them away last week,

expecting a reply from you
Re: How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? by Emusan(m): 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2017
Elmojiid:
hmmm...just like that, u want pple to burn house abi.

grin grin grin See as the guy said it as if it's a toy

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Power Bank From Used Laptop Battery? by Tcode: 2:03pm On Jun 24, 2017
newbiefx:

Tcode,

please were can one get the case to buy, i have six of those batteries around, i almost threw them away last week,

expecting a reply from you

You can get it from Amazon or AliExpress. Like me I used to order things from AliExpress

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Know About Nigeria’s Communication Satellites? / They Call It ARDUINO / Norton Antivirus 2015. 3 Users. Full Version With Activation Keys. 5k Only!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.