Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,114 members, 7,838,820 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

The National Question - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The National Question (243 Views)

The Voice Of One Crying In The Wilderness: Abba Kyari And The National Question / A Burning National Question / A Deltan’s Response To The National Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The National Question by Angelofdjeth: 9:47pm On Jun 25, 2017
THE NATIONAL QUESTION
As we approach our 57th year of 'independence' and 103rd year of existence we must pause and examine the situation.
There are problems.
Grave problems.
And they are numerous.
Problems that have been here for so long that many of us do not know anything else. Problems spanning several generations.
Therefore a question arises. A question that should be on the mind of every patriotic Nigerian. In fact it should be on the mind of every Nigerian.
We must ask ourselves if there's a future for Nigeria
But before we answer that question we must first know that a Nigeria does not exist except on a map. It is merely a geographical area. We do not meet the criteria for nationhood.

60 years of independence yet the ethnic and religious divisions are just as glaring as they were at the start. We have made little progress since 1960. The hopes of one nation bound in freedom, peace and unity have all but evaporated. In it's place a jungle where it's every man, woman and child for themselves. I do not need to give a lengthy description of the state of the 'nation'.
There is somehow both anarchy and tyranny at the same time. Every year the nation drags itself along, barely moving forward. Never able to escape the quicksand of corruption and mismanagement. never able to shed the burden of tribalism and religious violence. Always on the brink of collapse. Every year the hope of progress diminishes.
For us to plan for the future we must look at the past and how it all began.
Nigeria is a product of British colonialist greed. And like basically every African country the borders were hastily drawn and without consideration. Hundreds of tribes combined and confined to a single geographical location with no consideration for the cultural differences. The conditions that led to the tragedy of the Biafran war are still very much present.
After independe nothing was done by the first administration to address this problem. "One Nigeria" was the slogan despite the power struggle between the ethnic groups. Even today the story is the same.
After observing the conditions dialectically I have come to the conclusion that Nigeria exists only because the elites refuse to allow it collapse.
Of course I am only one man.
Why should my opinion matter?
Well I don't give a Bleep if you don't agree with me. I am merely stating the obvious.
We have greedy nearsighted leaders with no vision past staying in power.
A divided Nigeria works in their favour.
Now we must answer our initial question.
What does the future hold for Nigeria?
If we continue in our current systemYou don't need to be a prophet to see only more poverty, suffering and an inevitable collapse of the failed state that is Nigeria.
So what is the solution?
It's certainly not democracy. Democracy is merely a demonstration of crase. You're merely choosing from the same lot of idiots.
The system itself is rotten. It must be smashed and replaced. But what to do is a matter for another day.

before any progress can be made we must stop seeing ourselves as Yoruba, Igbo, hausa or whatever and start seeing ourselves as Nigerians. Dividing the country is merely a reactionary solution. The same system persists. The same system that vests so much in the hands of a few. Until we awaken the national spirit we are doomed to continue this madness. Know the enemy is not your fellow nigerian but the tyrants at the top.
Anyway even if you disagree with what I'm saying I have still spoken the truth. I have made observations and come to a conclusion.. It is left to you the reader to decide what to do.
Written by me Kadr Hassan

(1) (Reply)

What Is Our Stand On Current Situation / Fayose To Buhari- Have A Dialogue With With / Nigeria’s Akinwumi Adesina Bags 2017 World Food Prize Laureate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.