Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. (14355 Views)

Why You Should Be Reading Books / What Book Would You Be Reading This Weekend? / Words Onscreen: The Fate Of Reading In A Digital World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by ayorhmeeday(m): 8:21pm On Jun 27, 2017
No pictures of d poets
smDAMNh!!
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by UgoFly: 8:23pm On Jun 27, 2017
poetry is dying
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by AHCB: 8:24pm On Jun 27, 2017
I'm sure most of the poets mentioned write in free verse. grin

Any dick can write in free verse. Let them try writing a Terza Rima sonnet, and they'll testify to the smoothness of its feeling.. its difficult.

Writing in iambic tetrameter and pentameter isn't easy, I assure you.

1 Like

Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by TheSociopath(m): 8:28pm On Jun 27, 2017
Explorers:
2. Moyosore Orimoloye. (@MoyoOrims)

"I used to write poetry in order to be immortal, as Senghor, Clark and Awoonor were on the pages of 'West African Verse' and secondary school literature textbooks.

To have students dub themselves Orimoloye like we took on the names of the writers we admired.

However, as time passed, I found that I agreed with Bukowski's suggestion that there are so many poets but so little poetry.

To be called a poet was thus unremarkable.

Any Alao can wear a flower in his hair, moan into a microphone and break hearts.

What is remarkable and truly rare is to write poetry.

I have dedicated myself to this cause; to write and write, clearing out debris from my faucet, till clean water gushes forth.

To write what a young poet will someday look upon as like I currently look upon Tranströmer's Allegro."

Nice to know that my distant cousin is nationally acclaimed
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by AHCB: 8:29pm On Jun 27, 2017
dominique:

If this name isn't there, I wouldn't have taken this list seriously. Such an amazing writer
Oh yea.. I didn't take the lis serious anyway. Some poets here are more flexible and skilled than the mentioned.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by TheSociopath(m): 8:31pm On Jun 27, 2017
AHCB:
I'm sure almost of the poets mentioned write in free verse. grin

Any dick can write in free verse. Let them try writing a Terza Rima sonnet, and they'll testify to the smoothness of its feeling.. its difficult.

Writing in iambic tetrameter and pentameter isn't easy, I assure you.

You've been noted. Now, run along

1 Like

Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by TheSociopath(m): 8:32pm On Jun 27, 2017
Where is Adewunmi Olumide?
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by AHCB: 8:36pm On Jun 27, 2017
TheSociopath:

You've been noted. Now, run along
After you, dude. tongue
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by theSpark(m): 8:38pm On Jun 27, 2017
I know of Saddiq Dzukogi

I know of Afolabi

David Ishaya Osu should have been there
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by room089: 8:44pm On Jun 27, 2017
Does it mean our oriental bros dem can't put words together to become poems even if they contain chants on marginalization or raining praises on their messiah abi emperor?
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by Ezionye(f): 8:45pm On Jun 27, 2017
Poetry has come a long way in Nigeria, true. But it still has a longer way to go.

Its d least appreciated among d genres of literature
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by kenben: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2017
Poetry has never appealed to me. It's like asking me to read alphabets in a maths class
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by artemismay: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2017
Poetry is hardwork and thats why my friend [/colorOrimoloye moyo] exemplifies..shine on! brov
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by AlomoReloaded: 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2017
see nonsense list.... typical afonaija mentality....
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by Pedrogold(m): 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2017
smiley wow! Finally I'm inspired.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by Agimor(m): 9:35pm On Jun 27, 2017
I don't really do poetry.... I didn't even attend literature classes back then.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by redfly(m): 9:35pm On Jun 27, 2017
there's a guy I know, @poetolu, very good I must say
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by kennystar46: 9:37pm On Jun 27, 2017
Afonja pple all d way������
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by JackieMay(f): 9:50pm On Jun 27, 2017
Banji coker
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by gabbywatch77: 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2017
this list can not be correct if Dike Chukwumerije's name isn't there.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by yemiprogress(m): 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2017
Where is Razaq Malik Gbolahan?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by Demayour: 10:56pm On Jun 27, 2017
ephi123:
I'm not sure many Nigerians are into poetry compared to novels and short stories.

There are actually more and upcoming poets in Nigeria than you can imagine. It's just that only few of them get to the spotlight. Just as there are novelists whose great books sometimes don't get recognized

1 Like

Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by Demayour: 10:59pm On Jun 27, 2017
kenben:
Poetry has never appealed to me. It's like asking me to read alphabets in a maths class

Though some poets like writing their works in such a way that deciphering their messages is always difficult. But poetry captures in a page, what a novel will capture in 400 pages. And every issues of life, is best tossed about through poetry. Just compare the lines in every verse you see with the lyrics of a song, you'll understand it better.

1 Like

Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by lovelyebony: 11:01pm On Jun 27, 2017
Waoh, kudos to Afolabi Boluwatife.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by comtem2011: 11:02pm On Jun 27, 2017
Explorers:
1. Afolabi Boluwatife. (@oluafolabi)

"My poetry is borne out of a deep desire to bear witness to the evolution of human consciousness, to heal, to break and heal again.

To write is to battle memory and forgetfulness, to remind myself and everyone else that even though the road here wasrough and we kept stumbling on stones but we are still living and the sky is blue and I still run out of words to describe beauty when I see butterflies in a sunset.

To write is to break bodies, faces, memories into words and gather them back into yourself whole."
We are proud of you Boluwatife wa, you shall continue to soar higher.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by stubbornman(m): 11:16pm On Jun 27, 2017
I need money mehn ....not poems
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by jojothaiv(m): 1:12am On Jun 28, 2017
Explorers:
3. Tomi Adesina. (tomi_adesina)

"My poems are majorly free versed.

I don't like boundaries so I try to write as my heart speaks.

Sometimes I rhyme my poems but the most important thing for me in poetry as well as other writing is being true to one's self.

My upcoming book, George's Pieces of Me is a collection of poems and short stories.

Poetry is life.

There is always something poetic to see in life in music, art, fashion, sports, politics, family, you just need to see it and for me that's what writing is about, seeing.

I write because being a writer is who I am and all I have ever been.

I write to live literally.

Writing brings me home and takes me away. "
And They Said "Free Verse Is Boring"...

It's Refreshing Hearing This From Another Poet.

Meanwhile Here Is One From One Of My Indian Folk..

The list was great,
like all lists go by,
interesting ……
But once the shopping done,
To the bin of time it goes.
For another one is on its way,
for needs are different every day.
So when a list is made
one should realise,
to add an “all time” tag,
Is indeed the greatest folly.
So forget it.
Learn to shop from your heart.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by MasterChen: 1:15am On Jun 28, 2017
It seems Yorubas are more into poetry than stories and novels. Hmmm

1 Like

Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by Nobody: 6:39am On Jun 28, 2017
Afolabi Boluwatife is simply brilliant. he's one of those very few people i stalk on IG. my friend Popejay is trying too.
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by aadvark: 9:30am On Jun 28, 2017
I just hate free verse. They seem too easy. I've thrown away many of my poems cos they were free verses. maybe I just like the challenge and fascination of having to explore and experiment with rhymes and rhyme schemes
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by ephi123(f): 10:10am On Jun 28, 2017
Demayour:

Though some poets like writing their works in such a way that deciphering their messages is always difficult. But poetry captures in a page, what a novel will capture in 400 pages. And every issues of life, is best tossed about through poetry. Just compare the lines in every verse you see with the lyrics of a song, you'll understand it better.

Are you a poet?
Re: 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017. by Demayour: 11:32pm On Jun 28, 2017
ephi123:

Are you a poet?
Yes I am. But I'm yet to be published.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Nine Years Ago. . . / Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.