Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,603 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

My Review Of Facts Versus Fiction By Reno Omokri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Review Of Facts Versus Fiction By Reno Omokri (946 Views)

Bola Tinubu: Caught In A Monkey Trap By Reno Omokri / #Buhari2019Budgetlies By Reno Omokri, The Master Of Facts / Facts Versus Fiction By Reno Omokri: Excerpts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Review Of Facts Versus Fiction By Reno Omokri by douchesnozzle(m): 8:39pm On Jun 27, 2017
After reading the much anticipated book "facts versus fiction" by Reno Omokri, I felt it thoughtful to bear my mind on this book. Firstly I will like to point out that I am a very big admirer of the past president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. In fact I campaigned for him on social media during the last campaign because I believed in everything he represents. I am trying to lay this straight because we live in a country where airing your opinion means you are on someone's payroll.
Having stated my political inclination, let me go straight to the point.
I was very delighted when I saw on Facebook the launch of Reno Omokri's book Facts versus Fiction. What gave me much joy was that finally the real story of the happenings during the past administration was finally going to be laid bare. Coming from no one other than Reno made it worth reading. Those who know Reno Omokri can testify to his unflinching stance and how direct he is when it comes to defending what he stands for. Finally a book that will dispel all lies told against an administration I feel was one of the best in the history of Nigeria and written by a supposed insider was something to look forward to.
When the book was launched I tried purchasing it on Amazon but didn't due to delivery duration to Nigeria. I wanted to purchase on Amazon so I could add to the ever increasing rating of the book as a best seller on Amazon. I latter bought the book from a contact posted on Facebook by Reno.
My first disappointment was when I first got delivery of the book. When handed the envelope containing the book, I was forced to ask the woman if the content was inside. The book was so lightweight. Having read series of other books in this category I was disappointed to see a book less than a 150 pages. For a book about an administration that was deemed to be the most controversial and widely conspired against, one would expect a very voluminous book. But like they say never judge a book by its cover or its number of pages.
The first chapter dispelled my initial disappointment. It dwelt on the conspiracy to remove Jonathan and it was well detailed. It was indeed revealing but I was left aback by the continuous repetition and typographical errors. I will take this as an error on the side of the publisher. But for a book with an expected worldwide readership, such error is inexcusable. This made me think that the book was hurriedly packaged to counter the one written by Segun Adeniyi "Against the run of play".
Personally I think the chapter two of this book wasn't necessary. It could easily be fused into the first chapter. The chapter was titled "How two kano governors exposed the electoral fraud of 2015". The less said about this chapter the better.
Chapter three dwelt solely on the achievements of GEJ. Reno did an excellent job outlining the achievements of Jonathan in each states thereby dispelling the lies that Jonathan left the economy in Shambles. The detailed information and links to specific verifiable achievements in each state is highly commendable. To argue that the Jonathan administration performed poorly is to turn a blind eye to the truth. For a rational and open minded reader, this chapter counters every fiction that the Jonathan administration was wasteful.
"The truth about chibok girls" was the caption for chapter four. Seriously this should have been titled "Timelines of the Chibok girls". The major reason I got this book was to really get an inside view on what really happened as regards the chibok girls scenario. I feel the chibok girls debacle was the nail on the coffin of the Jonathan administration. To write just 5 pages about such historical incidence shows that Reno had little insight on what really transpired. What was written in this chapter was just the timeline of events an average Nigerian who is up to speed with the news already knows. Yes there was a conspiracy, a lot of sensible Nigerians know that already. We didn't need to buy a best seller to know this. I expected to know how this conspiracy was carried out. How could such massive heist was successful under the watch of the government. I was expecting an interview with atleast a couple of the chibok parents and teachers on what happened that fateful night. After reading this chapter I felt really disappointed as I was left with more questions than answers.
Chapter 5 dwelt on the resurgence of the Niger delta militant. Reno was able to dispel the lie that Jonathan was responsible for the resurgence of militancy in the niger delta.
Chapter 6 talked about the personality of Jonathan. We need be reminded that this isn't a biography but I think the author had his reasons for including this. Chapter 7 spoke about the youwin initiative. I think this was already over flogged in chapter 3.
Chapter 8 was more of El-Rufai. I have little or nothing to say about this chapter.
Chapter 9 of this book was one of the few chapters that could be linked to the title of this book. It talked about the many lies in the book "Muhammadu Buhari - The challenges of leadership in Nigeria' by Professor John Paden. The author did a good job countering the fiction in that book with verifiable facts.
The final chapter talks about Jonathan's Prophecy, Buhari's Heresy and TuFace's bravery. Well the title is self explanatory.
The Last pages of this book contains Jonathan's statement of results and WAEC certificate. Whatever message the author was trying to pass, I think it wasn't necessary.
On a scale of 1-10 I ll be generous to give this book a 7. Despite its limitations, I think the author did a good job dispelling some lies peddled against the Goodluck administration. I also think a lot of investigative journalism should have been done as regards the chibok girls debacle. Nevertheless, this book is highly recommended for anyone would wish to get a grasp on contemporary Nigeria politics.

Re: My Review Of Facts Versus Fiction By Reno Omokri by douchesnozzle(m): 8:45pm On Jun 27, 2017
Re: My Review Of Facts Versus Fiction By Reno Omokri by samilo88(m): 12:30pm On Jul 02, 2017
Your review is more direct than the one published on the back of thisday newspaper today. Nice review.. Mod this is what u guys should be pushing to fp.

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Facts Versus Fiction By Reno Omokri by tuniski: 1:51pm On Jul 02, 2017
The reality of humongous failure that buhari and the change movement have already counter all the fictions/lies of campaigning of the APC goons.
Anyway, kudos to Reno and you too @OP.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is The Problem In Africa, The Rich Africans Don't Give Back To Society / Remembering Okokon Ndem.....vanguard / Igbo: What Have We Gain As One Of The Largest Tribe In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.