Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses (31677 Views)

58 Nigerian Doctors Stopped At Lagos Airport, Were Promised Millions By UK Firm / Delta Doctors And Nurses Refuse To Attend To Accident Victim (Disturbing Photos) / World's Hottest Looking Black Doctors And Nurses (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by phineas: 6:34am On Jul 02, 2017
Nigeria health care professionals in clinical practice especially in the public system need commendations again and again.That said they have many areas to improve on.But with the present re our ces they have,they are accomplishing excellent deeds at the cost of great personal sacrifice.

To understand this well one needs to review the VOLUME of cases seen by the average Nigeria public hospital per period of time.and the patient to Dr/Nurses ratio to appreciate their services.

Compare it with the funds they work it.resources available and the stage the cases came in to understand these guys are working magic to keep the system afloat.

An example.A hospital somewhere in Nigeria sees over 6000 delivery cases a year with approximately 5
Doctors.

90%of these cases do not book for antenatal Care.They come in as emergencies.

That means all the team put in lots of extra time to meet up and practically spend their days and nights in the hospital.

Add poor renumeration,abuse at work by superpriors,office politics (johesu refuses to do their work so you carry some part of it so you dont get litigation)and the psychological challenges of not meeting up to family and societies expectations and you start to understand that the medical Doctors in this countries are overworked, underpaid,depressed bunch of persons still trying against all odds

Before you add nurses to this equation,it is true the patient to nurses ratio is also ridiculous and unrealistic which means not all can be done by 2 persons on shift within a short time.But with nursing they don't go the extra mile.

A nurse runs shifts and once their shift is over they are out.They have spaced their shifts to enable adequate resting period for themselves.The buck does not stop at their table so they quick to pass the unsolvable problem and blame (wheter true or not )up the ladder thereby exonerated

In summary there are Still lots of unemployed Medicall persons in Nigeria.The country will do well to train and retrain all these persons
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Made1414(m): 6:53am On Jul 02, 2017
Comrade360:
Honestly... This actually made me proud... Kudos to those Nigerians doctors

Yes the way Obama commended Buhari for doing well.. Hypocritical Mockers
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 02, 2017
I became a doctor with 278 in jamb, 76 in post jamb and no connections, i can proudly beat my chest to say that, stop spreading false information. Read harder.
harbjar:
meanwhile to become a dr in NIgeria.. u need to get over 300 in jamb + strong leg in the university
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by 989900: 7:01am On Jul 02, 2017
Caustics:
[s]one of the biggest rubbish i have seen today. who is she to commend or not commend our doctors? undecided
No one will give a fork if a channels tv reporter commended our doctors[/s]
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by 2n2k(m): 7:03am On Jul 02, 2017
Caustics:
who doesn't know she is a Nigerian? So what?

You mistaken her for Zain Asher. Isha is a Sierra Leonean
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 02, 2017
You are very right, also, if there is any bad thread e.g the thread where a woman lost her child due to doctor's negligence in a certain private hospital, you wont see the nurses asking for them to be added in that kind of headline even when nurses were involved in that story.
phineas:
Nigeria health care professionals in clinical practice especially in the public system need commendations again and again.That said they have many areas to improve on.But with the present re our ces they have,they are accomplishing excellent deeds at the cost of great personal sacrifice.

To understand this well one needs to review the VOLUME of cases seen by the average Nigeria public hospital per period of time.and the patient to Dr/Nurses ratio to appreciate their services.

Compare it with the funds they work it.resources available and the stage the cases came in to understand these guys are working magic to keep the system afloat.

An example.A hospital somewhere in Nigeria sees over 6000 delivery cases a year with approximately 5
Doctors.

That means all the team put in lots of extra time to meet up and practically spend their days and nights in the hospital.

Add poor renumeration,abuse at work by superpriors,office politics (johesu refuses to do their work so you carry some part of it so you dont get litigation)and the psychological challenges of not meeting up to family and societies expectations and you start to understand that the medical Doctors in this countries are overworked, underpaid,depressed bunch of persons still trying against all odds

Before you add nurses to this equation,it is true the patient to nurses ratio is also ridiculous and unrealistic which means not all can be done by 2 persons on shift within a short time.But with nursing they don't go the extra mile.

A nurse runs shifts and once their shift is over they are out.They have spaced their shifts to enable adequate resting period for themselves.The buck does not stop at their table so they quick to pass the unsolvable problem and blame (wheter true or not )up the ladder thereby exonerated

In summary there are Still lots of unemployed Medicall persons in Nigeria.The country will do well to train and retrain all these persons

Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Amberon11: 7:19am On Jul 02, 2017
CNN is the most viewed news channel in the entire world and you're asking who is she? Who are you?
Caustics:
one of the biggest rubbish i have seen today. who is she to commend or not commend our doctors? undecided
No one will give a fork if a channels tv reporter commended our doctors
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Vectormike(m): 7:23am On Jul 02, 2017
Caustics:
one of the biggest rubbish i have seen today. who is she to commend or not commend our doctors? undecided
No one will give a fork if a channels tv reporter commended our doctors

What's Baba saying na?
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by SirVintageCock: 7:23am On Jul 02, 2017
funmisticqueen:
You are very right, also, if there is any bad thread e.g the thread where a woman lost her child due to doctor's negligence in a certain private hospital, you wont see the nurses asking for them to be added in that kind of headline even when nurses were involved in that story.
What are you people justifying? Isha Sesay commended both doctors and nurses but nurses are excluded from the headline and you are here spewing why it is right to exclude them not minding what the original post said.
So you see, the problem of Nigerians is from Nigerians if you didn't see anything wrong with that.
phineas:

Doctors.

Who didn't know where the buck stops, is it Isha an international journalist of great repute? This is not even an excuse at all. call it as it is. In short this speaks volume of Nigerian mentality. Very shallow.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by slap1(m): 7:24am On Jul 02, 2017
Because she works for CNN we should be jumping up about her 'endorsement' of Nigerian doctors?

1 Like

Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 02, 2017
I am not saying nurses shouldnt be excluded, but to also remember to ask to be written in the headlines when the news is bad too and stop being fair weather people. I respect nurses a lot and i am not trying to shad them
SirVintageCock:
What are you people justifying? Isha Sesay commended both doctors and nurses but nurses are excluded from the headline and you are here spewing why it is right to exclude them not minding what the original post said.
So you see, the problem of Nigerians is from Nigerians if you didn't see anything wrong with that.Who didn't know where the buck stops, is it Isha an international journalist of great repute? This is not even an excuse at all. call it as it is. In short this speaks volume of Nigerian mentality. Very shallow.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by SirVintageCock: 7:35am On Jul 02, 2017
funmisticqueen:
I am not saying nurses shouldnt be excluded, but to also remember to ask to be written in the headlines when the news is bad too and stop being fair weather people. I respect nurses a lot and i am not trying to shad them
Did you read the message from Isha not the headline? The op mischievously excluded nurses when Isha even wrote nurses before the doctors. Now I am not holding brief for nurses but this is too petty.
Now, watch out if there is any bad news that portrays nurses in a bad light, whether it is from a cleaner, nurse aide, or whatever...you'll see how the will write it boldly. just this slight commendation and they are being deprived it is unfair..very unfair.
It seems you've not be online for a longtime to see nairaland bad news on nurses. It far exceeds the doctor bashing you see here.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by gretblue: 7:49am On Jul 02, 2017
funmisticqueen:
The person you quoted might not be far from the truth. From my various encountered over many years, with Medical Drs, once you are not a medical drs, they tend to have less values for you even though you work in the same medical fields. To make the case worse, an opinion of an house officer, in any medical field or discussion is of no value to a Resident Dr while a Resident Dr opinion becomes irrelevant to a Consultant. The same Consultant in a teaching hospital has no respect for G.p . This has been the practice especially in the teaching hospitals. A clinical article that's written by a Consultant is of no meaning to the Professor in a medical field. Invariably in medical practice and success in Nigeria, Drs do like to take all the glories.

1 Like

Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by leXHansplaCE(m): 8:17am On Jul 02, 2017
we will get there soon.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by fkj950ax(m): 8:34am On Jul 02, 2017
DrGraveYardz:
You see how foreigners are commending Nigerian doctors? On the other hand, our corrupt politicians are quick to fly out just to check their BP! If you can't lead by example, then why are you a leader?

That's why we need to have our heads checked because we keep voting them into office!
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by almarthins(m): 8:34am On Jul 02, 2017
AreaFada2:

I believe that environment and culture matter in anything. Nigerian professionals in IT, healthcare, engineering, education and more do great abroad.

Why do Nigerian doctors become very good & blend into the advanced medical system in the West? Because it is more satisfying if you can do your job better and make a difference. Given the tools: training, encouragement, funding, impeccable facilities, etc.

Medical care is a very expensive. But Nigeria is investing too little in it. Therefore moral & quality suffer.

UK that is one-third of Nigerian population, Healthcare budget is £133.1 billion , well over N61 trillion Naira or over 8 times Nigeria's total federal budget.

Medical profession in Nigeria is very challenging and further training is insufficient.

Frustration is what you see manifest in Nigerian doctors at home. Coming across as rude, uncaring, etc.

Sure doctors can do better. Everyone needs to accept that patients/their loved ones are not responsible for the problems of funding that we have.

All these are all written doomsday figures. Ask Cuba , let dem tell u ... Me I no dey support rubbish. Our doctors are only concern about salary increament above all. So who is fooling who na?
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Jelal0007(m): 8:37am On Jul 02, 2017
fistonati:
While Nigeria's President called Nigerians criminals outside the country.

Nigerians stand firm, no matter what.
Oga the president didn't call Nigerians criminals. Unfortunately the number of likes u got on this misleading post tells how much ignorance reigns supreme in our society. The president said; our behaviour back home affects our image abroad. Which is true. In some nations 2day,the average Nigerian after landing at the airport is seen as a potential fraudster or drug pusher. Do I need 2 mention corrupt politicians who loot and take abroad 2 invest? Get ur facts right and quit misquoting people.

1 Like

Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by AreaFada2: 9:30am On Jul 02, 2017
almarthins:

All these are all written doomsday figures. Ask Cuba , let dem tell u ... Me I no dey support rubbish. Our doctors are only concern about salary increament above all. So who is fooling who na?

Lol, I happened to have partly researched Cuban health care system. With a professor who had about 30 years experience of researching the system in field work in Cuba. You have to go back to the actions of the revolutionary leaders to improve education making it one of best educated countries in the world. And the way they train doctors.

Things do not happen without concerted actions by the powers that be.

It easy to criticise from the outside. We all do that. But nothing like having proper comparative experiences to understand it better.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by donodion(m): 10:10am On Jul 02, 2017
Na so Una dey start fight..she commended Nigerian Doctors and Nurses...you kolobi only doctors,remove nurses from the statement..Abi? heheheh ok o

1 Like

Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 02, 2017
Nigerian doctors that couldn't save my friend who died a few weeks ago.

Nigerian doctors that told my mentor (a professor) that he had cancer when it was just stomach ulcer. The poor old man thought he was going to die until his son took him abroad for treatment.

Sha, I don't blame then, this could try is full of sh*t and the good doctors have all left this shithole for better countries. How do you expect a doctor, after spending almost 10 years in school to be earning 60k in one general hospital and then expect him to do well?

1 Like

Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by enomakos(m): 11:12am On Jul 02, 2017
nice
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by dantori(m): 11:36am On Jul 02, 2017
fistonati:

Only the guilty mind feels intimidated by the President's statement anyways
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by dantori(m): 12:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
fistonati:

Only the guilty mind feels intimidated by the President's statement anywaysss Lol
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by fastgyal(f): 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2017
BobbyDean:
what? 120 urologist? A little over 600 paediatrician?(altho those ones fail residents like it's nothing). These figures are damn scary & unfortunately it's gonna get worse cos medical folks out here dont even want residency again or @least not in 9ja cos they feel it's waste of life. BTW, how come you have these facts & figures?
I read wild.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by fastgyal(f): 1:30pm On Jul 02, 2017
emorse:

For a second, I thought you were the CNN reporter. cheesy kudos to you.
thanks
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by almarthins(m): 1:43pm On Jul 02, 2017
AreaFada2:

Lol, I happened to have partly researched Cuban health care system. With a professor who had about 30 years experience of research the system in field work in Cuba. You have to go back to the actions of the revolutionary leaders to improve education making it one of best educated countries in the world. And the way they train doctors.

Things do not happen without concerted actions by the powers that be.

It easy to criticise from the outside. We all do that. But nothing like having proper comparative experiences to understand it better.

Oga researcher ! Ehn u sabi too much oo
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by BobbyDean(m): 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2017
fastgyal:
I read wild.
That's not only impressive, it's admirable(considering the number of lame hoes out here)! Nice to meet you.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by BobbyDean(m): 3:05pm On Jul 02, 2017
fastgyal:
I read wild.
That's not only impressive, it's admirable(considering the number of lame hoes out here), keep it up. Nice to meet you.
Re: Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses by 1forall: 3:38pm On Jul 02, 2017
Sierra Leonean nurses and docs must really be messed up then.

Imagine having a healthcare arrangement worse than Nigeria's! Lol grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria's First 'Frozen Egg' Baby / 288 New COVID-19 Cases, 355 Discharged And 8 Deaths On August 3 - (1601 Tested) / Mad Man In Calabar Parking Refuse Off Major Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.