Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

How Do We Restructure Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do We Restructure Nigeria (1040 Views)

Atiku: Promising To Restructure Nigeria In 6 Months Is A 'big Lie' - Keyamo / Only Atiku Can Restructure Nigeria- Afenifere / "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Restructure Nigeria by HAH: 8:55am On Jul 03, 2017
Hello house,

Of recent the call for restructuring Nigeria is being echoed by politicians and opinion leaders alike but I realised that restructuring means different thing to different people.

The question I want answered is. How will Nigeria be restructured in the light of recent calls ?

NB, this thread is for matured minds and intellectual discourse please
Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by luckyz4rea(m): 9:12am On Jul 03, 2017
HAH:
Hello house,

Of recent the call for restructuring Nigeria is being echoed by politicians and opinion leaders alike but I realised that restructuring means different thing to different people.

The question I want answered is. How will Nigeria be restructured in the light of recent calls ?

I think the people are the ones that need restructuring!

We have a constitution that is not followed so restructuring will still result in the state we're in today if we have never really given attention to following the constitution!

How can the Church be thinking of succeeding or restructuring herself when we're not attentively reading and living the Bible?

1 Like

Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by HAH: 9:17am On Jul 03, 2017
luckyz4rea:

I think the people are the ones that need restructuring!

We have a constitution that is not followed so restructuring will still result in the state we're in today if we have never really given attention to following the constitution!

How can the Church be thinking of succeeding or restructuring herself when we're not attentively reading and living the Bible?
very valid point, I also think what needs restructuring most is our attitude, because even if we restructure Nigeria with our same leaders and followers with same attitude nothing will change.

Lets hear others superior argument
Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by three: 9:56am On Jul 03, 2017
Government should be restructured from

Federal State Local

To

Federal Regional Local
Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by obailala(m): 10:07am On Jul 03, 2017
- Collapse the country into 6 regions with 6 leaders.

- Reverse the revenue collection/sharing formula; instead of FG collecting revenue and sharing to states, the states/regions should gather revenue and remit a little percentage (e.g 40% to FG). This would rectify the anomaly where states like Delta donate 30% of nation's revenue but get only a 5% share in return. Meanwhile a state like Katsina donates only 0.1% to the centre but receives 4% in return from FG (because of a so called large population/landmass). This sharing formula has perpetually left states like Katsina (and 26 other states) lazy.

- Presidency at the centre would be less attractive and the do-or-die tribalistic/religious divide politics would be severely weakened.

- Each region would also have regional police and regional laws and regulations; possibly regional parliaments too.

5 Likes

Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by gartamanta: 10:56am On Jul 03, 2017
HAH:
Hello house,

Return to the 1963 constitution is good start. Dissolve all 36 states, adopt 6 Regions, split the office of the president into ceremonial president and primeminister, let the Regions keep at least 75% of the proceeds from their land.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by baralatie(m): 11:08am On Jul 03, 2017
restructure is not in your Constitution. so the call is dead on arrival unless by act of war!
what you can do is
i,.apply an increased derivation formula of 15% to revenue accruable from states and 5% to the local govt of source revenue
2.privatise solid minerals with states having 15% revenue and l.g of source 5%
3.separate minister of justice from the Attorney Commission
4.remove protective or review gov/president protection clause and so on and so forth
Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by Joel3(m): 11:33am On Jul 03, 2017
[s]
baralatie:
restructure is not in your Constitution. so the call is dead on arrival unless by act of war!
what you can do is
i,.apply an increased derivation formula of 15% to revenue accruable from states and 5% to the local govt of source revenue
2.privatise solid minerals with states having 15% revenue and l.g of source 5%
3.separate minister of justice from the Attorney Commission
4.remove protective or review gov/president protection clause and so on and so forth
[/s] rubbish that's not restructuring. regionalism or break up

1 Like

Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by baralatie(m): 11:38am On Jul 03, 2017
Joel3:
rubbish that's not restructuring. regionalism or break up
regionalism is not in your constitution
breaking up is not in your constitution
state creation is in your constitution
derivation is in your constitution
judicial independence is your constitution
to break up Nigeria can only be possible by an act of war!
Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by dlondonbadboy: 11:43am On Jul 03, 2017
I hear some people talking about constitution...which stupid constitution? Who wrote it? The people are saying fix a date for referedum, you are talking about some stupid constitution...smh

1 Like

Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by HAH: 11:49am On Jul 03, 2017
three:
Government should be restructured from

Federal State Local

To

Federal Regional Local
dont you think same thing that is happening will happen in the regions where local government will be agitating for further restructuring due to marginalisation?
Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by Joel3(m): 12:05pm On Jul 03, 2017
baralatie:

regionalism is not in your constitution
breaking up is not in your constitution
state creation is in your constitution
derivation is in your constitution
judicial independence is your constitution
to break up Nigeria can only be possible by an act of war!
its not my constitution. we do not recognized that shiiting constitution that never worked. it's not from us and never part of us. it foreign and made for the interest of selected few tribe and their benefit.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Restructure Nigeria by baralatie(m): 12:14pm On Jul 03, 2017
Joel3:
its not my constitution. we do not recognized that shiiting constitution that never worked. it's not from us and never part of us. it foreign and made for the interest of selected few tribe and their benefit.
hmmm!that you feel that the constitution may be foreign to you has not changed its legality.it is the constitution that birth all 36 states and the f.c.t,all the airports ,seaports.all the universities,poly techniques,. all the churches,mosques,the court houses,prisons .the media houses and nairaland set.the generating houses,infrastructure and villages identification and boundaries.
it can only be suspended by you going to war against it

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Are More United Outside Nigeria Than In Nigeria / Corruption Is Behind Agitation For Biafra - Magu / Double Assurance!anambra Hausa Community Vows To Return Obiano For Second Tenure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.