Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Are You Sexualizing Your Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Sexualizing Your Children? (20774 Views)

Increasing Suicide — Be Careful What Your Children Consume / Drug Abuse: When Last Did You Check Your Children’s Bags? – NAFDAC / When Your Children Eat From Your Neighbour's House...Your Experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 04, 2017
All parents pls take your time and run thru this . REPOSTED:

YOUR CHILDREN ARE SEXY? ??

Few weeks ago, I was at the local airport and as I waited in the departure lounge, I noticed there were many children roaming about but it was understandable since it was summer holiday.

One other thing I noticed was the way most of the children were dressed. Most of them, especially the girls, were dressed in bum shorts, halter necks, cut off jeans, etc. The clothes in themselves weren't the issue per se; it was the overall look of the children that had me bothered. That was definitely not the first time I noticed it.

A few months before, I had taken my kids to a birthday party and found myself in what could easily have been a night club for kids. Scanty clothing such as tight or very short clothes, bum shorts, long weaves, etc, seemed to be the dress code. I noticed my son glancing around, probably wondering, "What in God's world are these other children wearing?" Or something like that.

Not long after, the kids were called out to dance to the hit songs of the season - these songs in my opinion should be rated PG 16. 4 - 6 year olds trooped to the dance floor, miming the sexually explicit songs and gyrating their bodies in the most sensual manner.
They could have given Beyonce a run for her money. They ran their hands over their bodies, shook their booties hard while their parents cheered them on. The boys had their upper shirts unbuttoned and rapped along perfectly to gangsta raps while doing flawless break dance.

Those who danced like actual children where shooed off the dance floor while the lewd ones were cheered on. As I watched, my child stared out of this circle looking longingly at the others dancing. I knew it was time to leave.

As we left, we went to an eatery where I bought them ice cream and gently explained to them the concept of decency and dancing with decorum.

Another time, at a game arcade for kids, I ran
into a lady who had made-up her kids' faces like they were mannequins for Tara or Mac beauty products. Their skirts were so tight, that running up and down the slide was uncomfortable for them.

So the question is, why are we sexualizing our kids? Why does your 4, 6 or 9 year old girl have to look like a chick? Why does she have to be hot or sexy? Should your 8 year old son go around with a comb in his hair and his pants sagged almost to his ankles?

If your child wears bum shorts out of the house at age 3, why should she
be expected to wear longer ones at 15? If she wears 2 rings and 12 bangles at 6, why won't she pierce a second ear hole at 17 and her bellybutton at 19? Why won't your son pierce his own ear at 15?

Are you setting your children up to be immodest and indecent? What trend are you starting them on? That all these are fashionable or trendy doesn't mean it's ok. What happened to children wearing dresses.
Children can look very nice and decent, they can be well covered and still look good.

In this age, when children are being abused. Is it wise to make your child an object of anyone's sexual attention? When I hear some children belt out sexually explicit lyrics, I ask myself how they became exposed to this songs!

As a parent, you can't play the CD of such songs and not expect your children to pick them up; the same goes for watching Mtv Base, Channel O, etc with your children. Studies have shown that children exposed to a high level of sexually explicit information tend to become sexually active early. Is that your goal as a parent?

Being a parent involves sacrifice. You will need to avoid listening to such music where your children are. Most of those lyrics demean women and teach your daughter that she's just a intimacy gadget and her body is for squeezing. It teaches the boys that money is everything and women are things to be used to satisfy their primal urges. These music introduces them to a degrading pop culture.

Our children have their lives ahead of them, let's set them on the right path by teaching them to dress decently and sing nice or age-appropriate songs. Let your children be children. Train up a child in the way that s/he should go and when s/he is old, s/he would depart from it.

By Oluseye Igbafe

172 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 04, 2017
It's the new generation of parents. Especially the mothers, because they are most times responsible for their children's wardrobe. The father on his part lets it slide, thinking it's not his department.

They are all trying to outdo each other these days in fashion through their kids. That's why you see baby girls with hair that even an adult would find heavy _the clothes are something else too. The little boys are seen with dangerous haircuts, sagged jeans, chains and all that. Most adult clothes now have children version, so_ it's the season of fashion madness.

For me, it's not about trying to make them "unattractive" to molesters, as I believe there is no reason enough for that. It's about basic training, some of those outfits are bad on them. Worst thing is, the kids are most times uncomfortable in those wears. They just want to remove them all and play! Let kids be kids.

About the kind of songs they sing and the way they dance _ it's lack of parental control. Some parents are trying to be new school, in the process, they've lost it. I saw one singing "I go chook you chuku chuku" with her daughter, what happened to the "I love you and you love me ", we sang way back?

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2017
PaperLace:
It's the new generation of parents. Especially the mothers, because they are most times responsible for their children's wardrobe. The father on his part lets it slide, thinking it's not his department.

They are all trying to outdo each other these days through their kids. That's why you see baby girls with hair that even an adult would find heavy _the clothes are something else too. The little boys are seen with dangerous haircuts, sagged jeans, chains and all that. Most adult clothes now have children version, so_ it's the season of fashion madness.

For me, it's not about trying to make them "unattractive" to molesters, as I believe there is no reason enough for that. It's about basic training, some of those outfits are bad on them. Let kids be kids.

Thank you for your contribution. Really Insightful

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by MizAijay(f): 6:07pm On Jul 04, 2017
You couldn't have said it any better. Bless you.
Most parents especially moms are so carried away with fashion, makeup and slaying for intagram pictures that they impose such lifestyle on their children knowingly or otherwise. They do this cause they want to feel and act like the 21st century mom. Growing up my mother taught me that a lady can be beautiful without makeup, jewellery or seductive clothings. Even till date I'm very careful about how I dress and can go out without makeup and feel very comfortable.
Parenting is a task that has to be handled carefully. A mom that sees herself as a slay queen will definitely raise her daughter to be a slay princess.
'Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth' Psalm 127:4. Parents should aim and shoot the arrows(children) in their hand towards that which is right and not that which is trending. #MyTwoCents.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2017
From these

5 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 04, 2017
They mature into these

6 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2017
These results into

Rape and Molestation

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by lathrowinger: 1:03pm On Aug 14, 2017
cool
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Alitair(m): 1:04pm On Aug 14, 2017
obikirinoni:
Scanty
clothing such as tight or very short clothes,
bum shorts, long weaves, etc, seemed to be
the dress code. I noticed my son glancing
around, probably wondering, "What in God's
world are these other children wearing?"
_They were actually making your son realize that there is a reason why girls and boys don't sleep together_Conji no get age limit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Giddyperson: 1:05pm On Aug 14, 2017
How would it result in rape biko. Anyone looking at children and getting sexually aroused should check himself into a mental health institution. I think shorts and tights are better suited for kids than they would ever be for adults. Ofcourse no show belle or show butt or makeup for children and I also agree with you about the dancing like strippers. It's ok if kids dress like the attached pictures

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by tintingz(m): 1:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
One thing about we humans is, we don't share same ideology.

6 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Paschalp(m): 1:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
this is what I tell my mum about my younger girls she won't hear now until it's becomes ocularly proven

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by kingxsamz(m): 1:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
wink
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Sleyanya1(m): 1:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
Hhmmm.. this is deep and truly a food for thought.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by GreatEvilBeast(m): 1:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
Nice write-up.

My Personal Opinion though:
If it's not the Stupid Parents exposing these Kids.

Its their friends.

Its the various profane books currently in circulation.

Its Nollywood or Ghana Film.

Its Hollywood, American media(especially) internet(phones)

Toke Makinwa angry (female materialism)
Bobrisky (homo things)
Tekno and Davido (male materialism and Big Cassava)

In this 21st Century Nobody is a kid Anymore. sometimes I wonder how my kids will turn out. lol

7 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by richidinho(m): 1:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3935250/pay-n500-wife-before-she

just saw this now

hahahahaha Badoo wife
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:08pm On Aug 14, 2017
It's the new trend.

This generation of parents is the laziest mentally.
We are being brainwashed into thinking a lot of wrong things are right. The veil between right and wrong is growing thinner everyday. What annoys me is we have not yet put into place things that will help us overcome the effects of this liberal lifestyle.
It might seem hip right now, but if we don't arrest this issue urgently, we shall become Guinea pigs in future.

5 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by lalo128: 1:08pm On Aug 14, 2017
nice post op if only parents will learn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Anasko(m): 1:08pm On Aug 14, 2017
ISLAM MODE OF DRESSING IS THE BEST

15 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by mccoy47(m): 1:10pm On Aug 14, 2017
Area fathers brings area boys.
Ashawo mothers brings slay queens!
Simple!!!

5 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by tonyimadu: 1:10pm On Aug 14, 2017
Best article on nairaland in forever. thanks.

10 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by localblood(m): 1:11pm On Aug 14, 2017
sad

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 14, 2017
People nowadays dress their kids to SLAY!!
What do you expect?
When mama na Slay queen,y pikin no go b slay princess?
These kids dont dress themselves up
Failed parents everywhere
Smh

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Berbierklaus(f): 1:13pm On Aug 14, 2017
Some parents are just taking the innocence from this kids by dressing them in this manner,its totally wrong.
Gone are the days when our party,church,visit,outing wears as girls was redmade(ready made gowns) and cover shoes.
Now they dress little girls in tight fitting gowns,why?
What for?
Why would you fix weavons for kids younger than 10,some even perm kids hair,why?
And they expose this kids to x-rated songs forgetting that kids learn very fast and hardly forgets.
This generation of parents are moving with the norm at the detriment of kids innocence.
Someone need to start talking sense into them.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by ekems2017(f): 1:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
Hmmmm. This is one topic I feel all parent should sit on the round table and brainstorm. I don't know what is happening to women now. Yes i said women cos they are the ones responsible for this. Men hardly have time to shop for their kids.
The men also are to be blame cos they are the head. If your wife buys bomb short for your little girl why not destroy it.
Well I know the men cannot take action cos that is what their wives put on and they are very comfortable with it.

For the music and dance when the parent are tweking what do you expect the children to do. It's whatever they see you do that they will do.

In summary TRAIN UP A CHILD IN THE WAY HE/SHE SHOULD GO AND WHEN HE/SHE IS OLD, THEY WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT.

The way you dress your bed, so you lie on it.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by VickyRotex(f): 1:18pm On Aug 14, 2017
Yes o. "They can be well covered and still look Good"! cool
Hmmmmm very nice write up. Well rounded! Thanks Op, for sharing.
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Don27tiky(m): 1:22pm On Aug 14, 2017
Some mothers even go as far as bleaching their children. And tomorrow when they start misbehaving they complaining.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Uyi168: 1:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
And it took over 1month for this beautiful piece to make fp?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
Nawa oh, I remember when I was little, it was ball gowns (Cinderella gowns aka aunty gimme cake gown grin) that girls wore for parties. Infact, the bigger the dress, the better. What was bum shorts then? What was halter neck? What was mini skirt or short gowns? Which one was make up? I remember once when I was in JSS1, I painted my toe nails, ordinary toe nails oh and I got severely reprimanded by my dad. This life sha.

God knows I'd be very strict when it comes to certain things as a parent. Infact, I've already started to make a compilation of things that would fly in my home.
For my daughter No make up, fixing weave-ons, relaxers until she is 17. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Histrings08(m): 1:40pm On Aug 14, 2017
Lemme read dis carefully

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prenuptial Agreements / Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / Save Me Before My Police Husband Kills Me, Wife Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.