Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,668 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1081) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2065717 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1078) (1079) (1080) (1081) (1082) (1083) (1084) ... (1695) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:52pm On Nov 18, 2021
earthrealm:

That would be possible, on a personal arrangment.best with whoever is in your city.
Shouldnt be a big deal.
However it may be for another groupbuy, as this present one is almost concluded...almost 200cells ordered grin grin......omo men dey here wey believe lithium dieeeeeeeeee

In present day DIY energy storage system, in lithium we trust grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
earthrealm:

So the last group buy before the year ends.
Similar terms as the last groupbuy of february.
Send mail to indicate interest and be added to the telegram group buy channel. Prices are a bit higher now..85 to 92usd per cell. Eves/Rept.
Seafreight 3 to 5months---- naija ports are congested, we waited 1 extra months cos of this the last groupbuy

Skyhigh0455 at yahoo dot com . send your request

I can attest to the port congestion (which I believe is deliberately done to make importers desperate enough to allow themselves be extorted) when a container with my items on it stayed from August till November! Then they made the importer pay extra ₦2m as demurrage.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:06pm On Nov 18, 2021
bigrovar:

My first choice remain to find the optimal part of the roof to throw all the panels (15 planned) and terminate to a single charge controller.

Which make and capacity of charge controller do you plan to use to run this?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 11:17pm On Nov 18, 2021
earthrealm:

Una dey try for those 18650s, too many parts = too many failure points, what if a bunch of cells fail?. How would you know the exact ones that failed?.

Do u use bms with them?
Me I use fuse for each cell with My DIY BMS to balance the cell. Any cell that fails the fuse will isolate it from others but will reduce the capacity of that cells

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 11:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
Alright then, cool.

bigrovar:

That would be unnecessarily complicating things. Better to have an array not optimally aligned than to have 1 off. If am going to put them on either side of the roof. Best to use different CC.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:15am On Nov 19, 2021
Dishtech:
Me I use fuse for each cell with My DIY BMS to balance the cell. Any cell that fails the fuse will isolate it from others but will reduce the capacity of that cells

So a 12v 200ah bank for instance may have upto 150 cells?. Correct me pls. So u wud have 150 separate fuses, from pictures i have seen, how easy wud it be to separate the bad cells from the matrix and replace them with good cells?.
You spot weld or just solder?.

Can i see a pic of your bms & connections
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 8:30am On Nov 19, 2021
earthrealm:

So a 12v 200ah bank for instance may have upto 150 cells?. Correct me pls. So u wud have 150 separate fuses, from pictures i have seen, how easy wud it be to separate the bad cells from the matrix and replace them with good cells?.

. 200Ah will be about 230 if 3series configurations cells since the cell is ICR18650-26 (2.6Ah) but I configure 4s12p for my laptop power bank and 7s48p about 124Ah for my inverter. I use soldering iron because I use fuse wire. I didn’t snap when I was configuring but that is the 4s12p and the BMS originally meant for 3s but i later added one to make it 4s. By the grace of God my friend wants me to configure the same 7s48p for him when I do that I will send you the whole setup
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 8:34am On Nov 19, 2021
earthrealm:

there are other circuit like low battery disconnect and high temperatures disconnect. Also current and voltage regulators

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 9:13am On Nov 19, 2021
earthrealm:

am trying to send the battery configuration but It not posting but you can send Hi to me on WhatsApp let me send you 08067six52639
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Keemie(f): 9:13am On Nov 19, 2021
bigrovar:

The battery I used back then is no longer in the market (Mercury Tubular Battery)

I currently use a battery with the same chemistry which I got from Lagos the name is Exide TI 750. It is also a tubular battery. I am already making plans to move to LifeP04.

My current battery is already doing 3 years easy and that is because the whole system is designed around a daily battery depth of discharge at 15-25% so the battery is almost always at between 80-100% full. This is whole the setup was designed (I basically run on solar during the day and rely on NEPA at night - leveraging on 20 hours premium power guarantee available in my area)

Thank you for the reply. How do I make sure that my battery depth of discharge is within the 15%-20%.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 1:14pm On Nov 19, 2021
mctfopt:

Which make and capacity of charge controller do you plan to use to run this?
The charge controller (and my solar setup is in my signature) is victron 100/150. My current arraey is 335w x 9 arranged in a 3 x 3 x 3. The end PMV is about 90v.

The controller would be able to sustain a 5kw solar array (just about)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 1:29pm On Nov 19, 2021
Keemie:

Thank you for the reply. How do I make sure that my battery depth of discharge is within the 15%-20%.
Have a handle on your load. This is the key to a successful off grid life. Lot of people put too much focus on the solar, inveter, battery forgetting that the first and most important component is your load. You need to do proper energy audit because the load determines how your system should be designed vis a vis your financial budget. It is what would make you understand what is capable within a budget outline.

I don't have to do anything about my setup. The system runs itself because the load is fixed. I know how much power I draw everyday and how much my solar array is.

My setup can generate over 2.7kw or power from the sun, out of which the house load (during the day) ranges between 350-500w. Charging the battery to full (float) requires about 1000w (for about 2 hours it takes the battery to be full from a 80% state of charge)

This all means that I have lots of redundant power to play with. Thus inverter is setup the following way

Switch to solar during the day (when the battery is higher than 26v)
Switch to Nepa (if available) when the battery voltage drops to 24.5v (Usually at night or during cloudy stormy weather) and if Nepa is not available switch to battery.

Being on premium power and being guaranteed 20 hours of power everyday means that my battery is rarely used except for about an hour when the inverter uses battery until the battery voltage drops to 24.5 then it switches to grid. 24.5 for floaded tubular battery is at about 80-90% soc.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Keemie(f): 2:59pm On Nov 19, 2021
bigrovar:

Have a handle on your load. This is the key to a successful off grid life. Lot of people put too much focus on the solar, inveter, battery forgetting that the first and most important component is your load. You need to do proper energy audit because the load determines how your system should be designed vis a vis your financial budget. It is what would make you understand what is capable within a budget outline.

I don't have to do anything about my setup. The system runs itself because the load is fixed. I know how much power I draw everyday and how much my solar array is.

My setup can generate over 2.7kw or power from the sun, out of which the house load (during the day) ranges between 350-500w. Charging the battery to full (float) requires about 1000w (for about 2 hours it takes the battery to be full from a 80% state of charge)

This all means that I have lots of redundant power to play with. Thus inverter is setup the following way

Switch to solar during the day (when the battery is higher than 26v)
Switch to Nepa (if available) when the battery voltage drops to 24.5v (Usually at night or during cloudy stormy weather) and if Nepa is not available switch to battery.

Being on premium power and being guaranteed 20 hours of power everyday means that my battery is rarely used except for about an hour when the inverter uses battery until the battery voltage drops to 24.5 then it switches to grid. 24.5 for floaded tubular battery is at about 80-90% soc.

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you have any experience with luminous tubular battery. Is it good.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:49pm On Nov 19, 2021
bigrovar:

The charge controller (and my solar setup is in my signature) is victron 100/150. My current arraey is 335w x 9 arranged in a 3 x 3 x 3. The end PMV is about 90v.

The controller would be able to sustain a 5kw solar array (just about)

Oh, that's awesome.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 4:37pm On Nov 19, 2021
Keemie:

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you have any experience with luminous tubular battery. Is it good.
They are pretty much the same. Luminous is one of the biggest battery manufacturer in India.

The things to watch for are capacity inflation which is a thing in Nigeria. I had an India battery OEM confirm this to me in private how marketers pressure them to mislabel capacity. 180AH becomes 220AH.

Second thing to what for is electrolyte. The part many don't say enough about tubular battery is pure quality electrolyte mix they have once they get to Nigeria. Most are shipped dry and then the electrolyte is mixed here in Nigeria.

Unfortunately care is not taken to ensure the right gravity is achieved or that distilled water is used. What this result to is a battery with either poor nominal voltage (and serious voltage sag issues)

Or one with too much acidity that the battery dies within a short period.

Luminous is sold by Simba and they are a big brand so probably they do right thing. I have no insight.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2021
Keemie:

go for Eastman or GRS tubular leave Luminous for now

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 9:07pm On Nov 19, 2021
sold.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Keemie(f): 6:31am On Nov 20, 2021
wilmaria14:
go for Eastman or GRS tubular leave Luminous for now

Can you please give me a reason for your suggestion.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:49am On Nov 20, 2021
Keemie:

Too many fakes floating around.
Popular products are the usual target of counterfeiters..

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by luvlyoracle(m): 6:57am On Nov 20, 2021
Keemie:

I can see you still searching for battery to buy.
Pls make sure you get lithium ion phosphate cells.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:16am On Nov 20, 2021
luvlyoracle:
I can see you still searching for battery to buy.
Pls make sure you get lithium ion phosphate cells.

1M worth of advice...
At the moment there is no counterfeit of Lifepo4 cells...
In few years Alaba go dey produce their own version..

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 8:32am On Nov 20, 2021
Dam5reey:

1M worth of advice...
At the moment there is no counterfeit of Lifepo4 cells...
In few years Alaba go dey produce their own version..

Lol. They are warming up. grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 11:36am On Nov 20, 2021
Keemie:

luminous for now dey Bleep up for battery mostly der tubular most dealer like us are byCourting it for now because of d problem

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:45pm On Nov 20, 2021
Saipro:
Needed:
- a minimum of 5kVA hybrid PSW inverter with dual input of at least 350V per string. New or used.
- used 5kVA to 10kVA Victron inverters

Kindly reach me on O8O239O23O5 (calls/WhatsApp). Or drop your details here.
Still on the quest
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Paulfroshman: 12:46pm On Nov 20, 2021
Good day house, what is the average cost in terms of service fee for installation of solar panels, inverter and batteries? Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by luvlyoracle(m): 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2021
Paulfroshman:
Good day house, what is the average cost in terms of service fee for installation of solar panels, inverter and batteries? Thanks
It all depends on whom is installing,what he is installing,how hungry or boxed up he is..lots of factors.
No constant price at all.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 9:04pm On Nov 20, 2021
Available now

Risen 370w halfcut solar panel

Price - 78k

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by khufu: 11:08pm On Nov 20, 2021
Please who has 40Amps solar charge controller?
Price?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 5:15am On Nov 21, 2021
khufu:

Price?
mppt or PWM
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by khufu: 7:36am On Nov 21, 2021
wilmaria14:
mppt or PWM

Please give me the price for both.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 9:40am On Nov 21, 2021
khufu:

Price?

60A Powmr MPPT Solar Charge Controller available
Price: 52,000 firm

60A PWM Solar Charge Controller (1 unit)
Price: 10,000 firm

Whatsapp: 09...08....3...74.86..35

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Keemie(f): 12:05pm On Nov 21, 2021
earthrealm:

Tubular is ok..just needs topping up with distilled water every 3 to 6months..releases hydrogen sometimes..thus beta for outside or well ventilated area installation..
.hope ur inverter has equalization settings or editable charge voltage settings...

What type of charge controller do you have?.
Am guessing the cheap pwm 8k to 12k type.
When its sunny, take a picture of the screen of your charge controller...that will hopefully tell us your harvest.

Here is a picture of my charge controller

(1) (2) (3) ... (1078) (1079) (1080) (1081) (1082) (1083) (1084) ... (1695) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Sapiosexuality(m), Drgreatone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.