Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,157 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2068342 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (1696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 1:41pm On Jan 23, 2016
kiekie1:
Always count on us for fast waybills and supplies within Lagos state. Due to current dollar rate issue, i havnt posted prices for a while but will update everyone soon....Feel free to call me for now and make your order, Thanks.

Sent you both PM and SMS yet no replies

Need info on Trojan batteries and other items - patdozie@yahoo. com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 3:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
zeestone99:
Hello we have sharp and solar world solar panels at very affordable prices, call 08117398294, 08033913155 or email Info@monzpowersolutions.com

Check again
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:30pm On Jan 23, 2016
pdozie:

Sent you both PM and SMS yet no replies

Need info on Trojan batteries and other items - patdozie@yahoo. com

Am sorry , I have been busy Sir... Will call you asap! Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:30am On Jan 24, 2016
HURRY ! HURRY !! DISCOUNT SALES !!!!!!

TROJAN IND 17-6V industrial line flooded lead acid batteries (1202AH) ......@ 340k

USA TROJAN L16-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (410AH)20hr Rate *NOW IN STOCK*..... @ 87k

USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... "NOW IN STOCK"....@75k

Solarworld mono panels 255w ,260w,265w "made in Germany" etc now in stock at very discounted prices.........

YACHI SOLAR PANELS:

130w mono........ 30000
200w mono........ 45000
250w mono........ 55000
300w mono........ 62000

PERLIGHT SOLAR MODULES

POLY SOLAR PANEL:
80W N14000. 100W N16000. 120W N20000. 200W N40000. 240W N45000. 300W N50000

MONO SOLAR PANEL:
80W N12000. 100W N15000. 110W N15500. 120W N18000. 130W 20000.180W N28000. "OUT OF STOCK"

Latest model 10kva wall mount servo stab (AC input range 80V-270V)....... @55k

Must power star light inverters with charge current adjustable variable,LCD display,wall mount,remote port,load wattage display,flooded/gel/agm battery settings,battery equalisation and desulphation settings...
1kw 12v =60k
1.5kw 12v =70k
2kw 12v =85k
2kw 24v =85k
3kw"4kva" 24v =140k
4kw 24v/48v =160k
5kw 24v/48v =180k
6kw"7.5kva"24/48v=220k
8kw 192v. =350k
10kw 96v. =380k

Programmable timer switch with LCD display 220vac 16a........ @5k

Infinitum battery desulphators 12v & 24v "NOW IN STOCK"

New Epsolar Tracer A series available.30a 12-24v auto select. . Max pv input voltage 100v. It has excellent features like: -inbuilt LCD display,
-high efficiency energy harvest with advanced mppt algorithm
-dual core (ARM CPU+DSP) control architecture
-run data and event recording
-multi phase synchronous rectification tech realizing peak conversion efficiency 98%
-high reliabilty including reverse connection, over current and load short protection etc
-diversified load control mode
-monitor software supplement and firmware update
-extensive communication capabilities (RS232, RS485 with modbus protocol, CAN bus extendable)....@50k

Mercury tubular/flooded12v 220a batteries "18 months warranty" @ 55k

Mercury deep cycle 12v 200a batteries @ 55k

GP Malaysian deep cycle 12v 200a batteries @ 60k

10mm² black armoured solar panel-charge controller cables with earth/grounding flex "silver copper based & heat resistant " ... @ N1000 per yard

CSUN panels arriving soon.....

*AUTHORISED DEALER PRAGMATIC TECHNOLOGIES*
All our prag / cyberpower products comes with reliable warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER SOLAR SHOP LTD PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty

For best affordable prices,contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:08pm On Jan 26, 2016
Call us for durable and affordable inverters and solar panels, we install nationwide. Standard battery and solar rack mount also available. You can reach us on 08117398294, or email Info@monzpowersolutions.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 6:31pm On Jan 26, 2016
Battery Desulfation
Find out how to desulfate/desulphate and rejuvenate lead acid batteries
home > storage | electronics
Printer Friendly Version Print Article

Lead plates in a lead acid battery - battery desulfation

A Lead Acid Battery is made up of plates of lead in a case filled with an electrolyte (dilute sulphuric acid). When the battery discharges, some of the lead from the plates combines with the electrolyte to make lead sulfate (PbSO4) which builds up on the surface of the plates as crystals (as electrons leave the battery as electricity). This is called sulfation.

When the battery is next charged this process is reversed with the lead sulfate crystals breaking down - returning the lead to the plates and restoring the electrolyte to its original composition. BUT, each time a battery goes through this discharge/charge cycle some of the lead sulfate crystals remain and over time harden, thicken, and grow over the surface of the lead plates. This is a particular problem when batteries are left discharged for long periods of time and when they are deeply discharged.

Lead sulfate on the plates of a battery acts like an insulator reducing the plate area in contact with electrolyte. Over time this build up of lead sulfate crystals will result in a battery which cannot hold much charge - i.e. effectively a dead battery which needs to be replaced.

Reconditioning a Lead Acid Battery
Desulfation (also know as Reconditioning or electrolyte stratification) offers a way for dead batteries to be brought back to life and for tired batteries to be rejuvenated. It can also be used every few months to keep batteries in the best possible condition all the time. Desulfation will not bring batteries with a shorted cell or worn out plates back to their former glory, but it is a valuable tool for anyone depending on battery storage for power who cannot afford to buy new batteries.

When lead sulphate crystals build up on the lead plates, it is not an easy task to remove them and thereby recondition the battery. Breaking down hardened crystal build up and dissolving cystals back into the electrolyte requires a charging voltage much higher than would ever be used to actually charge the battery. But, if you were to put this constant high voltage through the battery it would overheat, release gas, and could potentially explode. Therefore pulse conditioning is used to give very short blasts of high voltage sufficient to shift the lead sulphate crystals without overly raising the temperature of the battery as a whole.

Desulfation pulses shown on a scope

Every lead acid battery has a resonant frequency at around 2 to 6 megahertz. If pulses of electricity (high frequency, high voltage, but low power) are sent into the battery, rhythmic beating (resonance) of the plates causes the crystalline deposits to break up and the sulphate returns to the electrolyte solution.

This process takes three to four weeks typically during which time the battery must be trickle charged (in parallel with the desulphator) so that the battery ends up reconditioned and fully charged. Below is a video showing the lead plates inside two identical batteries - one which has been desulphating for three weeks, and one which has been left in its original sulfated condition.

Note that the voltage measured across the battery terminals will drop as the desulphation takes place as the internal resistance of the cells is reduced by the clearing of the crystals on the lead plates. At the same time, the amount of charge that the battery can hold will be increasing.

Build a Battery Desulfator
Circuit diagram for a low power 12V lead acid battery desulfator

A DIY battery desulfator circuit originally published in the US-based Home Power magazine has been successfully made for many years all over the world. Here are links to the instructions to build the Low Power (circuit design above, and finished example circuit pictured below) and the High Power versions of the circuit. These links are to be found together with a lot of other useful information here.
(http://www.reuk.co.uk/Battery-Desulfation.htm)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 6:34pm On Jan 26, 2016
Tech gurus should visit the site and mass produce for us in Naija now!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 6:52pm On Jan 26, 2016
durodee:

Battery Desulfation
Find out how to desulfate/desulphate and rejuvenate lead acid batteries
home > storage | electronics
Printer Friendly Version Print Article

Lead plates in a lead acid battery - battery desulfation

A Lead Acid Battery is made up of plates of lead in a case filled with an electrolyte (dilute sulphuric acid). When the battery discharges, some of the lead from the plates combines with the electrolyte to make lead sulfate (PbSO4) which builds up on the surface of the plates as crystals (as electrons leave the battery as electricity). This is called sulfation.

When the battery is next charged this process is reversed with the lead sulfate crystals breaking down - returning the lead to the plates and restoring the electrolyte to its original composition. BUT, each time a battery goes through this discharge/charge cycle some of the lead sulfate crystals remain and over time harden, thicken, and grow over the surface of the lead plates. This is a particular problem when batteries are left discharged for long periods of time and when they are deeply discharged.

Lead sulfate on the plates of a battery acts like an insulator reducing the plate area in contact with electrolyte. Over time this build up of lead sulfate crystals will result in a battery which cannot hold much charge - i.e. effectively a dead battery which needs to be replaced.

Reconditioning a Lead Acid Battery
Desulfation (also know as Reconditioning or electrolyte stratification) offers a way for dead batteries to be brought back to life and for tired batteries to be rejuvenated. It can also be used every few months to keep batteries in the best possible condition all the time. Desulfation will not bring batteries with a shorted cell or worn out plates back to their former glory, but it is a valuable tool for anyone depending on battery storage for power who cannot afford to buy new batteries.

When lead sulphate crystals build up on the lead plates, it is not an easy task to remove them and thereby recondition the battery. Breaking down hardened crystal build up and dissolving cystals back into the electrolyte requires a charging voltage much higher than would ever be used to actually charge the battery. But, if you were to put this constant high voltage through the battery it would overheat, release gas, and could potentially explode. Therefore pulse conditioning is used to give very short blasts of high voltage sufficient to shift the lead sulphate crystals without overly raising the temperature of the battery as a whole.

Desulfation pulses shown on a scope

Every lead acid battery has a resonant frequency at around 2 to 6 megahertz. If pulses of electricity (high frequency, high voltage, but low power) are sent into the battery, rhythmic beating (resonance) of the plates causes the crystalline deposits to break up and the sulphate returns to the electrolyte solution.

This process takes three to four weeks typically during which time the battery must be trickle charged (in parallel with the desulphator) so that the battery ends up reconditioned and fully charged. Below is a video showing the lead plates inside two identical batteries - one which has been desulphating for three weeks, and one which has been left in its original sulfated condition.

Note that the voltage measured across the battery terminals will drop as the desulphation takes place as the internal resistance of the cells is reduced by the clearing of the crystals on the lead plates. At the same time, the amount of charge that the battery can hold will be increasing.

Build a Battery Desulfator
Circuit diagram for a low power 12V lead acid battery desulfator

A DIY battery desulfator circuit originally published in the US-based Home Power magazine has been successfully made for many years all over the world. Here are links to the instructions to build the Low Power (circuit design above, and finished example circuit pictured below) and the High Power versions of the circuit. These links are to be found together with a lot of other useful information here.
(http://www.reuk.co.uk/Battery-Desulfation.htm)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:59pm On Jan 26, 2016
durodee:
Tech gurus should visit the site and mass produce for us in Naija now!

Infinitum battery desulphators are available in 12v & 24v . affordable and efficient ! Thanks Sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 10:46pm On Jan 26, 2016
JUO:
I saw this and decided to share http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html
does this mean solar panel shouldn't be permanent? ( installation)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hisenjos: 1:53am On Jan 27, 2016
Update
4 months and counting. Still waiting for a refund.
16m plus of business and get treated this way?
Still dumbfounded and shaking my head.
See last communication with Richmond.

hisenjos:

Update!
My Saga continues
We were immediately able to a replacement equipment -Sunny Minicentral from another source for the project.
Now the problem is that Richmond has refused to refund my excess funds over 150k with him.
Says he has to sell the equipment first -the one he refused to release to me or that he may refund my money on "humanitarian grounds"
It has been 30 days now and counting.
He is not responding to my messages either.
Like I said, one of my worst business experiences.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 8:29am On Jan 27, 2016
hisenjos:
Update
4 months and counting. Still waiting for a refund.
16m plus of business and get treated this way?
Still dumbfounded and shaking my head.
See last communication with Richmond.

What I have noticed about Nigerian businesses is that most business people HATE making refunds, they will always bring up one issue or another, it is always best to plan ahead before doing business, this is another reason why I hate paying by instalment. It is even written in most receipt "goods sold are not refundable"
Richmond seems willing to pay back, you just have to be patient, hope you have learnt not to ask for refunds and plan ahead before buying anything in this country. Good luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:39am On Jan 27, 2016
JUO:
I saw this and decided to share http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html
does this mean solar panel shouldn't be permanent? ( installation)

Ideally a solar panel should not be static, It should be adjusted every month to keep it aligned with the shift in the sunrise sunset path. It is known that the sun rises from the east and sets in the west. However it does this in a 180 degree arc and if you are in the northern hemisphere (like Nigeria) you panels should be south facing (especially if it is a fixed panel without sun tracking capabilities). Now the tilt of the panel will depend on the path the sun takes when going from east to west. This path changes every month requiring that the tilt of a panel be adjusted to the full path. http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html helps to calculate the required tilt of a panel based on your location month over month for optimum yield. In my case, since I do not have a month whose tilt can be adjusted month over month. I used the site to calculate the optimum tilt angle for a fixed non adjustable solar mount. For me in Abuja that was 81 degree. You can find out which one is applicable to your location.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by netotse(m): 7:29pm On Jan 27, 2016
My Chairmen...maximum hailings,

I need a bit of advice, I am thinking of getting an inverter in the next couple of weeks, something in the range of 3-4KW, solar panels might come later.

I'm worried about the inability of most of the chargers in the market to charge the batteries properly(float charge vs bulk charge),
apart from the high end inverters, is there any other solution anyone can recommend?

Does it make sense to connect a charge controller (without the solar panels) just to make sure the inverter batteries are charged properly?
I will want to get at least 400AH of power and it would be a waste if the inverter can't charge the batteries properly.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 9:11pm On Jan 27, 2016
My Learned people, please help me out with this (CC: Chris, Saipro, Abinafu, Rich etc)

My 2.5KW panels runs off a 45A controller. With a 2x5 configuration (2 in series and five parallel strings). Each Panel has approx of 8.6A which is 43A for the 5 strings. Rated 24v.
I plan adding about 2 more panels. If I add the string to the existing ones, it will take the Current to 51.6A. That means the 45A controller will leave some juice to waste right?

Option one is to upgrade to 60Amp controller

Option two is to get another 45A controller, connect the new panels to it and parallel the output of the controllers

Option three is to change the strings configuration 3 x 4 (3 in series & 4 parallel strings). This will maintain a current of 34.4A which the existing controller can handle. But the voltage from the 3 strings could rise as much as 123v.

Option 3 is more economical but is there Any implications or trade-off in terms of efficiency? The Controller can handle max of 150v though.

I saw the The following attached diagrams in the controller manual. (Battery Current Vs Array Voltage) and (Tristar MPPT 48v Efficiency). One is showing that Current to the battery starts reducing at 140v, which seems OK for my option 3. The other is showing efficiency is higher at lower voltage.

Please advice

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 9:20pm On Jan 27, 2016
netotse:

I need a bit of advice, I am thinking of getting an inverter in the next couple of weeks, something in the range of 3-4KW, solar panels might come later.

I'm worried about the inability of most of the chargers in the market to charge the batteries properly(float charge vs bulk charge),
apart from the high end inverters, is there any other solution anyone can recommend?

Does it make sense to connect a charge controller (without the solar panels) just to make sure the inverter batteries are charged properly?
I will want to get at least 400AH of power and it would be a waste if the inverter can't charge the batteries properly.

The only alternative apart from getting a high end inverter is to get an external charger. It will only charge the batteries when you have NEPA or GEN though. Based on the free education received here, if you get a 50Amp charger, it will take 8 hours to fully charge your bank (400/50).
What I do not know is if such external chargers can regulate battery charging to avoid overcharging.

Meanwhile, what is your load consumption that would warrant 4KW solar panels. The experts may need that info

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
pdozie:
My Learned people, please help me out with this (CC: Chris, Saipro, Abinafu, Rich etc)

My 2.5KW panels runs off a 45A controller. With a 2x5 configuration (2 in series and five parallel strings). Each Panel has approx of 8.6A which is 43A for the 5 strings. Rated 24v.
I plan adding about 2 more panels. If I add the string to the existing ones, it will take the Current to 51.6A. That means the 45A controller will leave some juice to waste right?

Option two is to get another 45A controller, connect the new panels to it and parallel the output of the controllers

Option three is to change the strings configuration 3 x 4 (3 in series & 4 parallel strings). This will maintain a current of 34.4A which the existing controller can handle. But the voltage from the 3 strings could rise as much as 123v.

Option 3 is more economical but is there Any implications or trade-off in terms of efficiency? The Controller can handle max of 150v though.

I saw the The following attached diagrams in the controller manual. (Battery Current Vs Array Voltage) and (Tristar MPPT 48v Efficiency). One is showing that Current to the battery starts reducing at 140v, which seems OK for my option 3. The other is showing efficiency is higher at lower voltage.

Please advice

This particular subject have been discussed here as far back as 2013.
I'll not answer ur question directly but I'll tell you what I use personally.
9 units of 120w mono panels (24v each) . I connected 3 in series to form 3 by 3 config. I have never experienced any drop in efficiency rather I observe sometimes even 120% efficiency.
I have used it on 12v, 24v and 48v systems without issues.
Note: my 6mm wires got hot whit 12v and 24v systems. .I use 60amps mpppt with 16 units of T105-RE trojan batteries @ 48v.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 12:46am On Jan 28, 2016
pdozie:

Please advice

You have maxed out at 45 amps. 2500 / 48 = 52 Amps more than is recommended for your 45 A controller. Your 60 amp will handle 3 kw. What is the short circuit voltage of your panels? Add 20% to that number and as long as it less than 150 V you can do your wiring to match.
You can go for a 60 amp and have a clean look and less complication if money is not as much a factor.

For the sake of disclosure I have a client that I installed 3 kw in panels on a 24 V system. The 80 amp controller sees 80 amps regularly and the fans come on a lot. Next time I would have done two 60 amp controllers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:04am On Jan 28, 2016
netotse:

I had similar in mind when search for an inverter. I wanted something capable of intelligent charge without draining my pocket. In the end I settled for the su-kam falcon+ which is capable of different state of charge (They called it fuzzy charging) it also came with a temperature sensor for ATC (automatic tempreture compensation)
Falcon + like all Su-Kam's products, uses DT-6S Six Stage Charging technology for efficient charging and longer battery life. Su-Kam is the only company in the world to use this advanced charging technology in its inverters
Desulphation: This stage breaks down the release of buildup of sulphate
Soft start Charging: The vitals of battery are checked and gives a low voltage, low current charge to charge the battery 15-20%
Bulk Charging: Here, maximum charge is given to the battery and battery is charged 80%
Absorption: This stage takes the battery's charge to 100 percent by slowing down the charging
Equalization: Then comes the equalization stage where high voltage is given to shake the electrolyte of the battery and make the electrolyte more efficient for charging to make sure the battery can hold the charge
Float: Here, the battery is 100% charged and the charge is kept constant and maintained for a long period of time.

I got it for 33k (1050VA) For your use case you might want to look at their Fusion series which should have the capacity you seek.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 8:02am On Jan 28, 2016
Hi Chris, Abunafiu,

Thanks for the insights. I appreciate.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 12:00pm On Jan 28, 2016
Im2Busy2Bother:

My friend used this type of flexible cable. He bought 16mm ( @ the rate of N350 per yard) You may buy lesser size.

Find attached picture

Please whatsapp me where he bought the cables +19739981590
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Optimixim(m): 4:50pm On Jan 28, 2016
Buy your US flooded battery at 75k each . Very rugged as trojan and hoppecke. Mind you I have worked with solarshop and other big solar companies in lagos. Kiekie1 and remond7... You know what I mean sir so kindly contact me for your US battery...

Was doing some jobs with diamond bank and zenith recently . All tech masters are right with their deduction over how the solar system works. But here comes a talkless man optimixim from solarshop, have done projects including ghana and many other companies.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 9:04pm On Jan 28, 2016
^^ My friend, u just dey throw suspect credentials everywhere!
Wetin be the rating of ya wonder batteries?!!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 10:59pm On Jan 28, 2016
pdozie:

Please advice

I like the answers you have been given and everyone is right. Your controller should more frequently see in the range of 33A to 38A and occassionally, 43+A. For a 48V system, your configuration is perfect (efficiency rises as you narrow the difference between Vmp and nominal system voltage. This might however not be the case in instances of long distances from the panels to the CC (often quoted as in excess of 30m - 50m, depending on autority and other parameters). High voltage = lower transmission loss and this can often offset whatever gain you hope to achieve by using strings of 2. My system is similar to yours (250W x 9) in three strings of 3 for a nominal 48V system. It works the CC a bit more (a Midnite Classic 150) but I have no worries on the transmission efficiency over a 10m stretch using 10mm2 cables. Those are the academics of the logic.

Back to the question, if your cables are the right size (10mm2 or higher), go for the 4 strings of 3. If your cables are smaller, you might want to consider 3 strings of 4.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:25am On Jan 29, 2016
netotse:

I have external battery charger for sale but I believe your inverter will be able to charge your battery well except you have a large battery bank. you can call 08117398294 or email info@monzpowersolutions.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Optimixim(m): 6:58am On Jan 29, 2016
12 VOLT – MULTI-PURPOSE U.S. Battery Model Amp Hours (20 hr. rate) 5 hr rate M.C.A. @32F Minutes @ 75 Amps Minutes @ 25 Amps Le 16 TF- HC 120 — — — 250 9/16" ( 22 NF- HC 60 — — — 95 7/16" ( 8 D-HC 240 — — — 455 3/4" (5
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:01am On Jan 29, 2016
NOW IN STOCK :

A&E 2kva 24v lcd pure sine wave power inverter .. Note;Company price (55k) ... Call and get yours now @ (50k) per unit

Prospective a&e clients can call now for discounts on any product of your choice. http://aedunamis.com/

*AUTHORISED DEALER A&E DUNAMIS*
All our a&e products comes with 1 year reliable warranty!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 11:44am On Jan 29, 2016
Optimixim:
Buy your US flooded battery at 75k each . Very rugged as trojan and hoppecke. Mind you I have worked with solarshop and other big solar companies in lagos. Kiekie1 and remond7... You know what I mean sir so kindly contact me for your US battery...

Was doing some jobs with diamond bank and zenith recently . All tech masters are right with their deduction over how the solar system works. But here comes a talkless man optimixim from solarshop, have done projects including ghana and many other companies.

Oga

I suggest you do a detailed review of the battery itself and convinced us on why the battery is value for money rather than tell us your own credentials because we are not buying you but the battery.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:00pm On Jan 29, 2016
richmon74:

Oga

I suggest you do a detailed review of the battery itself and convinced us on why the battery is value for money rather than tell us your own credentials because we are not buying you but the battery.

Lol
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by netotse(m): 10:28am On Jan 30, 2016
bigrovar:

I had similar in mind when search for an inverter. I wanted something capable of intelligent charge without draining my pocket. In the end I settled for the su-kam falcon+ which is capable of different state of charge (They called it fuzzy charging) it also came with a temperature sensor for ATC (automatic tempreture compensation)

I got it for 33k (1050VA) For your use case you might want to look at their Fusion series which should have the capacity you seek.
thanks man...will check. Been a while BTW, how's things?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 4:48pm On Jan 30, 2016
GeorgeD1:
ugeh,
let me try and reply you again. hopefully this time the post stays:

never make the mistake of charging your battery bank directly from your solar panels. as you have already experienced, you risk losing your batteries to overcharging and overheating. besides it's very dangerous!
always connect your solar array to your battery bank through a charge controller.

now to your question: how will an mppt charge controller increase the output of your array?

to answer this question, you need to know how a solar charge controller works.

a normal charge controller charges your battery bank at battery voltage irrespective of its rated output. for example, a 200w panel rated at 32v, 6.25a charging a 24v battery bank, you will get

24v*6.25a = 150watts. but your panel is supposed to be 200w, so (200w-150w) you lose 50w! on any given day no matter how bright the sun is in the sky. it even gets worse if your battery voltage is low.

lets say you used your inverter heavily overnight and your battery bank voltage dropped to 18v. in the morning your panels will only be outputting:

18v*6.25a = 112.5watts. you lose about 87.5watts! suddenly your 200w panel is only as good as a 100w panel, half what you paid for!
now, with an mppt solar charge controller, the charge controller looks at the output of the panels, and compares it to the battery voltage. it then figures out what is the best power that the panel can put out to charge the battery. it takes this and converts it to best voltage to get the maximum current into the battery. most modern mppt's are around 93-97% efficient in the conversion. you typically get a 20 to 45% power gain in cloudy weather and 10-15% in bright sunlight.

first of all, what is an mppt controller?

an mppt, or maximum power point tracker is an electronic dc to dc converter that optimizes the match between the solar array (pv panels), and the battery bank. to put it simply, it converts a higher voltage dc output from your solar panels down to the lower voltage needed to charge your batteries.

for example using the same 200w solar panel above,

assuming your battery is low, at 24 volts. an mppt controller takes that 32volts at 6.25amps and converts it down, so that what the battery gets is now 8.33 amps at 24 volts. Now you still have almost 200 watts, your money's worth.

24v*8.33 = 199.92 approx 200w.

assume your battery bank voltage is low, it even gets better:

18v*11.1 = 199.8 approx 200w
where with a normal charge controller you lose power the lower you batter voltage,
with an mppt charge controller, you get more current and your panel's rated power
when you need it most.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (1696) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: clementjava, djaybaba, Godliftedme and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.