Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,529 members, 7,826,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2084399 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (1705) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 1:24pm On Jan 17, 2017
shiftmarket:

Wicked. Nice one. Good engineering control although guys can use step up to beat that.
Your irons are 110V too?

For a thief, the stress of 110v ->220v conversion ain't an option

Good idea
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 5:22pm On Jan 17, 2017
Refa:
Thanks to you all. I really feel at home here. I started with a 2000W 24V cotek inverter, a 30A Stecca PWM CC, 4X410AH (6V) battery, and 1400W mix solar panels. I need only lights and a few fans at the time for the place since I was living there less than half there only half the year at the time. It worked out well till battery maintenance started giving me issues. I had a few guys I had trained to do the maintenance, but neglected to do as long as they had lights. I sold most of my items to friends and family, used some to batter trade for building materials and when I replaced it with my current system; 8x430AH Crown Batteries, 3xMorningstar 60A MPPt CC, 1 Magnum 4448MPAE, 15x435 solar panels (these are rebranded Sunpower panels). I use the batteries for only Funs, TV, Lights in the night. The AC can be used during the day for about 4 hours and I do washing and ironing only during the day. The Fridge and the Freezer are on timers so they come on at 6:30 in the morning and go of at 7PM. The batteries are always are always between 50.8 and 51.2V in the morning. 2x35w flood lamps are on through the night and 6x35W flood lamps with motion sensors and photocell on all the time. I wired my place 110V since am not on the grid and most if not all my appliances are from the States. The 110V appliances also deters theft in my absence.
*thumbs up*
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:04pm On Jan 17, 2017
Greetings to everyone.

Got epever 40A mppt solar charge controller + MT50 remote meter + battery temperature sensor.
Its brand new so if interested Whatsapp me on 08035415969.
Its affordable and can also be sold separately grin cheesy

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:22pm On Jan 17, 2017
DMerciful:
Lead acid is becoming less durable vis-à-vis their cost/life span. Lithium-ion ti take over!

Give examples of lithium-ion brand available in Nigeria and price.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:53pm On Jan 17, 2017
They are not available in Nigeria.but in US, China etc
mank1234:

Give examples of lithium-ion brand available in Nigeria and price.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:05am On Jan 18, 2017
DMerciful:
They are not available in Nigeria.but in US, China etc
Lithium is available. They cost a bit
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:31am On Jan 18, 2017
Kindly tell us where to buy
chris81964:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 8:17am On Jan 18, 2017
chris81964:

I'm also dying to know where to buy as Lithium ion is by far more superior than lead acid
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2017
chris81964:

How much

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 7:00pm On Jan 18, 2017
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:37pm On Jan 18, 2017
all,

those rooting for lithium batteries should know they have limitations too.

for instance, they don't handle overcharging very well and you'll have to
install additional voltage and charging current controls that you don't need
when it comes to traditional lead-acid.

bottom line, do your research very well before throwing your money away.
google is your friend!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 8:00am On Jan 19, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all,

those rooting for lithium batteries should know they have limitations too.

for instance, they don't handle overcharging very well and you'll have to
install additional voltage and charging current controls that you don't need
when it comes to traditional lead-acid.

bottom line, do your research very well before throwing your money away.
google is your friend!

I disagree, iron Edison batteries are very rugged and approved to be charged by all current charge controllers, the only thing is that they are super expensive but last a life time...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 8:34am On Jan 19, 2017
tivta:

I disagree, iron Edison batteries are very rugged and approved to be charged by all current charge controllers, the only thing is that they are super expensive but last a life time...

Iron Edison batteries are not Lithium batteries. They both represent very different technologies with corresponding advantages and disadvantages.

GeorgeD1 is right about Lithium batteries inability to tolerate overcharging. They are irreversibly damaged by overcharging.

Tivta is also right about Iron Edison batteries high tolerance for abuse. They are very rugged, can be overcharged, undercharged and deep discharged to 0% SOC.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 9:15am On Jan 19, 2017
dapsyra:

Iron Edison batteries are not Lithium batteries. They both represent very different technologies with corresponding advantages and disadvantages.

GeorgeD1 is right about Lithium batteries inability to tolerate overcharging. They are irreversibly damaged by overcharging.

Tivta is also right about Iron Edison batteries high tolerance for abuse. They are very rugged, can be overcharged, undercharged and deep discharged to 0% SOC.

The jury is still out on the 100 % discharge on the iron nickel / Edison battery. I have read so much material and watched many YouTube videos. I know of a guy selling them here. The cost of getting them to Nigeria is my beef. The initial charge is also a concern for people like me who don't have a generator in Nigeria. My array is currently two kw and can't generate the over 100 amps that is recommended.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Gennextech: 10:57am On Jan 19, 2017
Good Afternoon house, please find attached our new price list, please note we have 12/24/48v/60a charge controller in stock . Thank you for your continued patronage on this platform , we are very grateful.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 11:00am On Jan 19, 2017
Iron Edison batteries are even recommended to be abused, can you imagine? They recommend a minimum discharge rate of 80 DOC.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jamzig1(m): 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2017
Gennextech:
Good Afternoon house, please find attached our new price list, please note we have 12/24/48v/60a charge controller in stock . Thank you for your continued patronage on this platform , we are very grateful.
Please, what's the difference between the 5kva/48v (3000w mppt) par-A and Par-B?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 2:15pm On Jan 19, 2017
FOR SALE

1. Wellsee charge controller C2430 12/24v 30amp - NEW - still available

2. Emel inverter 1,500va, 24v (used) -SOLD SOLD.

call/whatsapp - 08033735359

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 8:49am On Jan 20, 2017
Promo.... Valid for 1 week
80a fangpusun - 170k
60a- fangpusun - 155k
50a/12/24v fangpusun - 50k
30a/12/24v fangpusun - 40k
30a epever 45k
O8o98733-709
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:05am On Jan 20, 2017
Morningstar PWM 60 ... (5 weeks used) 50k

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Gennextech: 1:46pm On Jan 20, 2017
Jamzig1:

Please, what's the difference between the 5kva/48v (3000w mppt) par-A and Par-B?
The par B can be cascaded to 30kva output but the par A can only be used as a single unit
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jamzig1(m): 6:01pm On Jan 20, 2017
Gennextech:

The par B can be cascaded to 30kva output but the par A can only be used as a single unit
Ok, thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 1:51pm On Jan 21, 2017
Installed 8 units of J185 Trojans in August 2014, yesterday had to retire 4 of them. 3 were reading below 10v on on load. Despite regular maintenance and equalisation.
How is it on the other side?.
This flooded whaala Don dey pass my power Oo.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 3:09pm On Jan 21, 2017
abunafiu:
Installed 8 units of J185 Trojans in August 2014, yesterday had to retire 4 of them. 3 were reading below 10v on on load. Despite regular maintenance and equalisation.

You retired them as you threw them away? Did you set an aggressive low battery cut off. If you are discharging them to zero all the time no amount of maintenance or equalization will bring them back. I have mine set to cut off at 24V/48V It starts warning me at 24.5/ 49. That is why I am picky in the inverters I install for customers. A lot of the Chinese inverters have a cutoff that is below 0%.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 3:57pm On Jan 21, 2017
abunafiu:

I feel your pains bro.. Pls always observe DOD setting when installing inverters with flooded batteries . Prag 3kw upwards, Cyberpower,A&E,magnum etc has DOD settings.. Cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:29pm On Jan 21, 2017
abunafiu:
sorry sir. Initially you were using 900w to charge the battery. I think you allowed the batteries to stay under-charged for a very long time. Got mine may 2014 almost the same time with yours but they are still performing like new
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 4:41pm On Jan 21, 2017
Seems flooded battery longevity is overrated . for goodness sake how can you off your inverter when there is no light ? to stay in darkness?In truth we need focus in this area as the cost of going green is comparatively being threatened by battery replacement. Lithium battery LiFeO4 may be the way forward!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 5:20pm On Jan 21, 2017
Wow! 4 out of 8 in barely 3 years... I can imagine your anger and dissatisfaction bro.

Infact, i dey provoke on your behalf!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Refa: 5:20pm On Jan 21, 2017
Sorry for the late response, I was out of town. Yes all appliances are 110V including the Iron and AC. I still have a home in the states so I have access to 110V appliances for a steal.
shiftmarket:

Wicked. Nice one. Good engineering control although guys can use step up to beat that.
Your irons are 110V too?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 7:58pm On Jan 21, 2017
kiekie1:

I feel your pains bro.. Pls always observe DOD setting when installing inverters with flooded batteries . Prag 3kw upwards, Cyberpower,A&E,magnum etc has DOD settings.. Cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Refa: 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2017
Hi all,
I came across this and thought it will be an interesting read for the house.
http://blog.evandmore.com/lets-talk-about-the-panasonic-ncr18650b/

These are the same batteries in the Tesla vehicles & power wall, the Volt and the leaf use the LiFePO4 pouch/prismatic cells which is recommended by a few in other forums as it offers more cycle life than the 18650 batteries (Tesla battery). All these batteries have their down sides and advantages; Pb acid batteries won't burn your house down but the the lithium ion batteries have the potential to do that if the right charging parameters are not observed. That being said, if the favorable lithium ion charge/discharge parameters are observed; the cost per kwh in the life of the Li ion battery is cheaper than the Pb acid batteries.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (1705) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: buzzetin(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.