Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (571) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2056077 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (568) (569) (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) ... (1689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:19am On Aug 12, 2019
Dishtech:

I can but I hadly have chance.

Eeya. Too bad.
Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:22am On Aug 12, 2019
olaolu11:
The 219H is chest freezer while the other is giant fridge. How many watts will bith consume per day if i on them for 4hrs every other day?

I think you should take the pictures of the name plate (appliances have it slapped on their back) instead of the products name and model. It will have all the information you need, or at least most of it.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 7:32am On Aug 12, 2019
ojeysky:

My thermocool has a fan, light and buzzer under its lid; this ensures there is equal distributed temperature within the freezer (I love the freezer unfortunately I lost all the features in the hands of kazeem few months a ago when it developed a fault). What's the consumption of your other thermocool?
Kk I see now no it doesn't have a fan. My other thermocool is a double door refrigerator and it consumes 150w
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:55am On Aug 12, 2019
ceaser:

If the condenser is changed, the new one may not be a good power saver as the stock. Also these Kazeem technicians will install fan once they work on any freezer. That's added consumption.

No it wasn't changed it was a panel that went bad in it and we could not get a replacement so he just connected wires together to get it working (my guess is that what he did made the compressor to be working on high operation mode), and while he was connecting wires he blew my interior fan, light and buzzer, by then I wished I could just turn around the clock. Unfortunately I still had to pay him sad
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:27am On Aug 12, 2019
lexi28:

hi, why don't you buy a 12v Dc fan & a GOTV 12v adapter. connect the adapter to output of inverter, then place fan directly blowing into the inverter. that's what I did with the 3kva VIL inverter whose fan only kicks in at 65°c. I connected the above and placed it to blow air into perforated side vents near the inverter transformer. fan only works when inverter is working. the inverter is much cooler now.
OR
most fans in these portable inverters are evacuators not blowers. the fan is not powerful enough to evacuate heat build up hence increase in internal temperature. can you change direction of flow of the fan, so it sucks outside air and blows over internal components rather than evacuate it? Just reverse/flip placement of the fan. ensure some gaps exist in the casing to allow hot air flow through.

Thanks baba.

See ehn, that thing, I was literarily struggling with it for the better part of yesterday. I guess being pressed for time also contributed to the problem. I have only yesterday and today to get things right before I'm off again. Yesterday I burnt off another 12 volt digital temperature controller that I intended to hook up for intelligent control to a cooling 12volt fan for the stuff; connecting it into the light control port of the PWM SCC with the deliberate assumption that it will be 12v output irrespective of it being on a 24v set-up. After the loss, I was forced to do what I should have done earlier by measuring the output at that point on the SCC and alas, it was 29.4volts.

Hating the fact that I'm seriously running out of options, I went back and for like 30 minutes ransacked my storage box and made sure I found those damned buck converters (something I should have done 4 weeks ago that would have probably saved me the loss of the first inverter, two cooling fans and a digital temp controller.

I plan to get an extra conduit box this morning, fix it atop the one embedded in the fence and move the inverter there while leaving the SCC and batteries in their former position embedded in the fence. Then hopefully that new conduit box should provide ample space for even a 14cm by 14cm fan (found one in the storage box).

I noticed that thing about blower vs evacuator fan too and except you mentioned it now, I had thought little about the significance of the positioning. Only problem with this inverter is that the fan's btu is just too small to handle the quick built up of ambient temperature in the hot sun. Some other fans of similar sizes (40mm by 40mm) that I blew up earlier had better performance (those ones that you will hear their decibels at almost a meter away)

I will give your GoTV adapter serious consideration but only on the condition that I can achieve daytime-nightime control of output to the adapter or else I risk adding to the 10w overnight draw (2w gate opener+8w no load inverter draw) and that may deplete the 7ah 24v battery before dawn.

I only hope those local computer accessories shops stock PC fans that I can work with cos I only have one left now, in case it also gets blown grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:40am On Aug 12, 2019
ceaser:

Bro if this freezer is really what Namzy claims, then it's the bomb. Just go for it. Just make sure you go shopping armed with your wattmeter for proper confirmation.

Other factors worthy of considerations though, will include the number of hours it is able to keep foods frosted off power (a factor of insulation), cos you can't leave it working overnight. Also in the rainy season are days of poor solar harvest which ma require some shedding. In such times, good insulation of cabinet freezers come into play.

This is actually my main concern as well. When my thermocool was in top shape it could hold stuff for 3 days off power

I'm not happy now cos I should have heard about this freezer 6 months ago when I secured that Thermocool.

But going forward, I think I will take more notice of some selected Hisense products in power saving capacity over Thermocool and LG products that I have grown fond of.

Not so fast, while the power factor may be an advantage we are not so sure yet of how well it retains temperature level but I may eventually go for it just for a change; My fridge, air-conditioning system and freezer have all been thermocool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2019
ceaser:

If I were in his shoes, I will consider using AC charger to charge one set of the battery that is not connected to the solar with the AC output from the set connected to solar panels during sun hours. Then do the switch over later. That way, he won't have to use two SCCs and he won't have to divide his solar panels into two to create two different charging circuits.

The AC charger will ensure that the battery is topped up as early as possible and the charging functions of the chargers are automatically turned off once the battery is full, hence he needs not worry about overcharging his batteries with AC charger

Hmnn. If i get your point correctly, as one battery is charging via solar, i will switch on the inverter and use it to charge the other battery using ac charger. Is that what you imply? If yes, where and what charger do i get?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2019
ceaser:

I think you should take the pictures of the name plate (appliances have it slapped on their back) instead of the products name and model. It will have all the information you need, or at least most of it.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 1:08pm On Aug 12, 2019
This battery level signal at back of my inverter, how is it used? Do i have a meter connected to it or what?
And the fan is no longer working. Can i diy replace it?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 4:36pm On Aug 12, 2019
olaolu11:
This battery level signal at back of my inverter, how is it used? Do i have a meter connected to it or what?
And the fan is no longer working. Can i diy replace it?

If you use flooded cell and have the sensor cable connected, it'll alert you when to top up distilled water.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oluwaslimzzy(m): 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2019
ceaser:

How much is the
12v 12ah
12v 18ah?
I've had pretty disappointing experience with 18AHs (about 5pcs so far) that I used, all bought off of Konga at different times from different sellers. Perhaps those I bough then were expired ones.

Do you have the 12v 24ah?

Chat me up on WhatsApp for us to discuss privately with regards to that 08037748901... wish to hear from you soon
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 10:36pm On Aug 12, 2019
mctfopt:

If you use flooded cell and have the sensor cable connected, it'll alert you when to top up distilled water.

Ok. Thank
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 10:45pm On Aug 12, 2019
ceaser:

Thanks baba.

See ehn, that thing, I was literarily struggling with it for the better part of yesterday. I guess being pressed for time also contributed to the problem. I have only yesterday and today to get things right before I'm off again. Yesterday I burnt off another 12 volt digital temperature controller that
I only hope those local computer accessories shops stock PC fans that I can work with cos I only have one left now, in case it also gets blown grin

hi, best of luck tinkering with the set up. kindly post the eventual solution you used. can you also post a pix of how your digital temperature controller looks like and where you purchased it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 8:36am On Aug 13, 2019
ceaser:

If I were in his shoes, I will consider using AC charger to charge one set of the battery that is not connected to the solar with the AC output from the set connected to solar panels during sun hours. Then do the switch over later. That way, he won't have to use two SCCs and he won't have to divide his solar panels into two to create two different charging circuits.

The AC charger will ensure that the battery is topped up as early as possible and the charging functions of the chargers are automatically turned off once the battery is full, hence he needs not worry about overcharging his batteries with AC charger
Did you consider the life circle of the battery that will be constantly recharged from. I don't think it is a good idea as it will reduce the life span of the battery you are tapping from
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tchijioke: 12:49pm On Aug 13, 2019
Fairly used and fully functional Famicare 1500VA 12v hybrid inverter up for grabs...I need to sell it off cos am considering an upgrade...Price very attractive.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Horlaarsco: 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2019
Good evening bosses.. Please who can educate us on the types of batteries.. I have been seeing mercury, deep cell, lithium and lots more what are the difference of each of them.. And which is good.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Rakiticbarca: 6:06pm On Aug 13, 2019
dragnet:

are AGM same as VRLA ?
Dragnet, i got banned by antispam bot, pls do help unban my moniker in the technology market section
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:26pm On Aug 13, 2019
tchijioke:
Fairly used and fully functional Famicare 1500VA 12v hybrid inverter up for grabs...I need to sell it off cos am considering an upgrade...Price very attractive.

In my humble opinion, I'll suggest you add the attractive price here as it'll surely help some readers make a decision.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 8:06pm On Aug 13, 2019
Dishtech:

The link you posted is not available so I don't know what it means

Pictures
1. Used battery
2. New batteries
3. Battery name plate
4. used battery and AC DC chargers (middle man suggested we test them, because it was noticed that some chargers were faulty.)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 8:12pm On Aug 13, 2019
generationz:

You are lucky

Very lucky

Pictures

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 8:33pm On Aug 13, 2019
olaolu11:

Car battery charger. Is it powered with car, phcn/gen or solar

what I posted was a chinese made 3000w inverter on jumia website.

dishtech

See the attached pix the first is the printer port of 30V middle cable is the distributor laptop port 10-15V, third cable is my Laptop DC plug which is bigger than the distributor laptop connection port.

seller even gave the charger and distributor manuals.

The used used battery voltage is 13V when i checked, I will charge all when there is grid power and check after 24hours as you advised.

I plan to use the used one for rechargeable fan if it fails the test.

However it will affect my plan because my original intention was to use a 24V configuration (24V inverter)

Is it safe to parallel the three on a 12v configuration?

Secondly I heard some people are using old UPS and there are two UPS lying around 2KV and 650Va. Also read online that UPS draws more from the batteries than inverter. Gurus kindly advice

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Easylearner: 10:30pm On Aug 13, 2019
Can anyone refer me to a table for wire sizing?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 4:42am On Aug 14, 2019
microgiant:

Pictures
1. Used battery
2. New batteries
3. Battery name plate
4. used battery and AC DC chargers (middle man suggested we test them, because it was noticed that some chargers were faulty.)

hi, is the link you used to buy the new batteries still viable?

what cost are they now?

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 7:15am On Aug 14, 2019
lexi28:

hi, is the link you used to buy the new batteries still viable?

what cost are they now?

thanks

Last time I enquired it was not available. Over a year ago.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 12:51pm On Aug 14, 2019
Easylearner:
Can anyone refer me to a table for wire sizing?
Here an estimate

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Easylearner: 5:31pm On Aug 14, 2019
Namzy:

Here an estimate
thank you..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Horlaarsco: 8:03pm On Aug 14, 2019
lexi28:

hi, congrats you have come this far.

1. your inverter and batteries have operating voltage of 12v I assume?

2. the 250-300w panel operates best at 24v.

3. your pwm is most likely a 12-24v auto controller.

4. if the inverter is confirmed as operating on 12v, I suggest you buy 150-160w panels instead.
5. if you are using only one 100ah battery, optimum charging current (C/10) is 100/10= 10amps. your panels must produce MORE than this, taking into account efficiency of the panel and insulation levels at your location.

6. the maximum current from a 150w panel is less than 10a, about 7-8amps depending on the brand. so you will need more than just one panel. taking onto account, your location which determines hours of insolation available and probable time of use of the inverter ( most likely daytime - since it is an office)...you may need at least 2-3nos of 150w panel.

7. panels are oversized to subsidize the current required by daytime connected loads, like office equipment. this method prevents entire current to my exceed safe discharge rate of the batteries.

8. safe discharge rate is max C/20 of the total capacity of the batteries installed. e.g 100ah has a safe discharge rate of 100/20= 5amps DC. at 12v that is a equivalent to a load of 12*5= 60w.

9. so in summary, you will require
1nos 1kv/12v inverter
1nos 30a pwm controller
1nos 100ah battery
2/3nos 150w panels( connected IN PARALLEL)
installation accessories like DC breakers are usually standard.
you need a breaker to be able to isolate the PV unit.
you need a breaker to be able to isolate the batteries too.
a SPD ( surge protective device) is usually required on both AC& DC sides of the system. this greatly increases cost.

cables:
PV cables: you go for 3nos panels, you need cables to bear 1.25*Isc*3 amps. let's say Isc(check panel specs at the back of the panel) is 9amps, you will need cable that can safely conduct 9*1.25*3= 33.75a at 12v over THE REQUIRED DISTANCE FROM LOCATION OF PV TO YOUR CONTROLLER. use a minimum of 10mm PV flex ( student price - just go for full core ordinary 10mm not flex, to save cost)

Battery cables: I doubt you will load the 1kv to its load rating. however your DC BATTERY cables must be rated for the highest continuous load current expected. so that's 1000/12 = 83amps at 12v. (practically a 25mm cable should do)

there are actually websites where you could check the required gauge of cables for DC projects. you can surf the web for that.

since it is a school project you need not go ballistic in expenses, you are required to demonstrate working proof of concept. so leave out the american brands of stuff. a visit to Alaba will suffice or some good natured vendor here will do the us the honor of giving you a student discount.

peeps, let's get our guy over the line!

I got a 150ah 12v battery
2 pieces of 150w solar panel
1kva pure sine wave inverter..

About the connection I got confused with the wires in the inverter how do they go?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:10pm On Aug 14, 2019
Horlaarsco:

About the connection I got confused with the wires in the inverter how do they go?

Check diagram grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 10:50pm On Aug 14, 2019
Horlaarsco:

are you not supposed to be doing a project? you should do some research, some of the questions you're asking shouldn't be asked by someone carrying out a project in power.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:55pm On Aug 14, 2019
mctfopt:

Check diagram grin

Panels should be in parallel not series, he is using PWM controller not mppt

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Horlaarsco: 12:01am On Aug 15, 2019
dragnet:

are you not supposed to be doing a project? you should do some research, some of the questions you're asking shouldn't be asked by someone carrying out a project in power.

I have been carry out the research the connection problem that confused me is the inverter wouldnt want any issues with it thats why im asking
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 12:55am On Aug 15, 2019
Please house, I would like to know the difference between those small 100ah batteries and the wide ones?

(1) (2) (3) ... (568) (569) (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) ... (1689) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: bleexInc(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.