Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2071845 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (1698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2011
akanniade,
congrats! what a beautiful set up you have there.

looks like we need to campare notes!

cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 6:59am On Jul 15, 2011
will do that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:51pm On Jul 16, 2011
ok, i seen your mail. thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 1:15pm On Jul 17, 2011
Cost breakdown of my system.

Solar panels - N70,000 *24 panels(140W each)= N1,680,000
Metal frame support (also serves as my car shade)= N180,000
Flexmax80 mppt charge controller = N150,000
Tripplite 6Kva pure sine wave inverter = N450,000
Deep cycle batteries (3 banks of 48v) = N280,000, I got a good bargain from my telecoms friend
Racks and accesories = N50,000

Total= N2,655,000
All the installation I did, by myself.

That ended my association with nepa.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:34pm On Jul 17, 2011
akanniade,
you didn't reply my mail but again i guess you may have been busy with work.
i think we have the same mindset when it comes to solar. while some people
may look at the total amount invested and shout with disbelief, i rather think
it's worth every naira spent.
many people won't think twice about sinking 3m to 5m into buying a car (that
takes money from their pocket every day of its useful life) but the same people
will footdrag when asked to spend half that amount on a system that keeps
giving back even after 25yrs.

how strange!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 12:46pm On Jul 18, 2011
George_D
sorry, about the mail. I actually called on saturday but it was before 9pm. It rang but no response.
I think our people are more interested in what they understand and can show off.

I got to lagos on sat. I loaded my solar system since yesterday morning and am on day 2 running.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:53pm On Jul 18, 2011
akanniade,
how true! all talk and no action won't cut it for solar.

saturday was a bit heavy for me at work so wasn't around to recieve your call.
kindly drop your number in my mailbox. let me call you instead.

thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 10:37pm On Jul 18, 2011
Akanniade:

Deep cycle batteries (3 banks of 48v) = N280,000, I got a good bargain from my telecoms friend

That's very very Cheap for what i saw in the pix u posted.
Sure you got a good deal especially when compared to what i get in KD.
Will contact you when am ready for any order. Its Good news.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:28am On Jul 19, 2011
@life707

2 banks were fairly used. They were being replaced with more compact models in the base station. Its the 2v/400AH type.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:33am On Jul 19, 2011
George_D:

akanniade,
how true! all talk and no action won't cut it for solar.

saturday was a bit heavy for me at work so wasn't around to recieve your call.
kindly drop your number in my mailbox. let me call you instead.

thanks.

My number is in your box. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 11:03am On Jul 19, 2011
These plug-in timer switches are very useful for efficient power mgt. I use them for my fridge and freezer. Its programmable for the time interval /days of the week you want the device to operate. It's cheap as well. I bought mine for £3 each.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 11:08am On Jul 19, 2011
more

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:33pm On Jul 19, 2011
Akanniade:

My number is in your box. Thanks

i seen it, thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 12:56am On Jul 20, 2011
Akanniade:

@life707

2 banks were fairly used. They were being replaced with more compact models in the base station. Its the 2v/400AH type.
Roger that. The ones i get from the telecom guys in kd are also fairly used & i can authoritatively say they perform wonders cos since i dumped my indian & chinese batts over 18months now i have experienced peace with the fairly used ZTE Batt, 2v/300AH & HAGEN batts.
Personally i prefer individual cells than the compact ones cos there is compromise on quality.
In a year or two, u will attest to this statement of performance of fairly used telecom batts.
Enjoy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 12:11pm On Jul 20, 2011
@Life707
Yes you are correct. My friend who suppplied mine, uses the same type in his home for some 3yrs now and he has no complaints.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:42pm On Jul 20, 2011
life707,
akanniade,

looks like the fairly used telecom batts are the way to go then. i am looking at upgrading my battery
bank very soon and will definitely need some of these.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 3:02pm On Jul 20, 2011
@George_D
I will inform my friend, and as soon as he has any available, I will contact you.

Enjoy!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:41am On Jul 21, 2011
akanniade,

it was great chatting with you yesterday.

how much power (kwh) has your system generated so far?

pls update the house.

cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 6:42pm On Jul 21, 2011
@George_D
It varies from day to day. Cummulatively after 5 days, I have generated about 50kwh which is not too good, cos its been mostly cloudy in lagos. But it will get better than that when its sunny again.
I manage my power with my timer switches: the big consumer my fridge and freezer runs from 8am to 7pm. The electronics, I cannot put on timer because I need it to be available on demand.
The battery banks are still fully charged and the system runs itself like a clock. My brother, what more can a man ask for. grin grin

Enjoy!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 9:27pm On Jul 21, 2011
Akanniade:

Cost breakdown of my system.

Solar panels - N70,000 *24 panels(140W each)= N1,680,000
Metal frame support (also serves as my car shade)= N180,000
Flexmax80 mppt charge controller = N150,000
Tripplite 6Kva pure sine wave inverter = N450,000
Racks and accesories = N50,000

Total= N2,655,000
All the installation I did, by myself.

That ended my association with nepa.

Chei! This thread is not meant for people like me, make i run go other threads in which their language i understand. Oga GeorgeD, Akanniade i salute o.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:37am On Jul 22, 2011
^^^^
Not so my friend, big things start small. I started with inverters charging from nepa.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:57am On Jul 25, 2011
Akerekoroabijawara:

Chei! This thread is not meant for people like me, make i run go other threads in which their language i understand. Oga GeorgeD, Akanniade i salute o.

akerekoroabijawara,
your reaction is the common mistake most people make when it comes to solar power. solar energy is not only for the rich. if you take time to read my past posts, you'll discover you don't have to be a millionaire before you can install an inverter system.

like akanniade said you can always start from a small inverter and back up system. i started that way also before upgrading to solar panels.

pls note that the prices of inverters are crashing everyday making it more affordable for all. if you can buy a generator of at least 50k, then my brother you can afford an inverter and 2 batteries and that is all you need to start up on your road to energy freedom. again, when you check the cost break down of akanniade you'll notice that the solar panels, charge controller and accessories accounted for over 75% of the total amount he spent. you can avoid this cost if you live in an area where your sure of at least 3 to 4 hours of phcn power every other day. myself ran my inverter system solely on phcn power for over two years before deciding to upgrade to solar. and we were even living in an area where rationing of power (one day in, one day out) was actively taking place!

so rather than being easily discouraged, i'll advise you to give it a second thought. see the challenge and look for ways to overcome. break the myth!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:02am On Jul 25, 2011
Akanniade:

@George_D
It varies from day to day. Cummulatively after 5 days, I have generated about 50kwh which is not too good, cos its been mostly cloudy in lagos. But it will get better than that when its sunny again.
I manage my power with my timer switches: the big consumer my fridge and freezer runs from 8am to 7pm. The electronics, I cannot put on timer because I need it to be available on demand.
The battery banks are still fully charged and the system runs itself like a clock. My brother, what more can a man ask for. grin grin

Enjoy!

akanniade,
wao! you are harvesting in 5days what i'm doing in a month! at this rate you'll be doing over 300kwh in 30days!  shocked

this your system na fire!  shocked

i'm so impressed that i'm seriously thinking of a major upgrade to my system!

looks like i'll have to resume talks with pecorns in canada!  smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 12:49pm On Jul 25, 2011
Akanniade:

^^^^
Not so my friend, big things start small. I started with inverters charging from nepa. 
George_D:

akerekoroabijawara,
your reaction is the common mistake most people make when it comes to solar power. solar energy is not only for the rich. if you take time to read my past posts, you'll discover you don't have to be a millionaire before you can install an inverter system.

like akanniade said you can always start from a small inverter and back up system. i started that way also before upgrading to solar panels.

pls note that the prices of inverters are crashing everyday making it more affordable for all. if you can buy a generator of at least 50k, then my brother you can afford an inverter and 2 batteries and that is all you need to start up on your road to energy freedom. again, when you check the cost break down of akanniade you'll notice that the solar panels, charge controller and accessories accounted for over 75% of the total amount he spent. you can avoid this cost if you live in an area where your sure of at least 3 to 4 hours of phcn power every other day. myself ran my inverter system solely on phcn power for over two years before deciding to upg sonnrade to solar. and we were even living in an area where rationing of power (one day in, one day out) was actively taking place!

so rather than being easily discouraged, i'll advise you to give it a second thought. see the challenge and look for ways to overcome. break the myth!
Thanks for your advice.I will soon buy the inverter.i will seek for your advice,when i'm ready.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 6:21pm On Jul 25, 2011
Am anticipating a time when the nigerian government will do mass importation of solar panel and sell at subsidised rate to people.
Some american companies sell as low as $1.48 per watt. If individuals can form cooperatives and do bulk purchases it will further reduce the initial overhead hurdle.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:20am On Jul 26, 2011
yes oooo! that is our collective prayer. when the govt begins to offer rebates on solar panels
and accessories then the prices will fall sharply as they are doing in other parts of the world!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:19am On Jul 29, 2011
akanniade,
how is your set up coping with this period of everyday downpour?

kindly post pictures of your harvested power so far.

rain or shine, solar power is still the best!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 11:56am On Jul 30, 2011
Thanks George_D. Here in lagos its been mostly dark cloud cover and few rain. The picture of the indoor remote unit is attached.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:30pm On Jul 30, 2011
akanniade,
with a harvested power of 75kwh in less than 2wks the rains or cloud cover don't
seem to be having much impact on the performance of your system.

here, its like everyday shower with occassional breaks and my spartan battery bank
is taking a hit. i certainly need to boost storage to cope with these adverse weather
next time around.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:02am On Jul 31, 2011
Thanks George_D
Improving your battery bank for like 2-3 days autonomy will help in period of adverse weather like these.

Have a nice week.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:19pm On Jul 31, 2011
akanniade,
best bet is a minimum 5days autonomy-if money is no object but of course there are always
other equally competing priorities.

anyhow, i'll see what gives. i already contacted pecorns in canada for possibilities of kick starting
bank 2.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by aadewoyin: 3:20am On Aug 06, 2011
Its nice to see you guys using solar,  i am really impressed. Here in Philippines, we use Solar Power systems in remote areas mainly for our IP CCTV or IP Surveillance projects,  and also for our remote Wireless Acess Point and Base Stations,  but these equipments do not use much power,
I am just impressed,

These are some of our setup,

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (1698) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: princely009 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.