Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (381) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (697648 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 3:25am On Nov 27, 2017
captain90210:
[The comfort in Air Morocco is killing. Except you don't mind, u won't fly them next time

Could you explain more for me please? You've travelled with Royal Air Maroc before?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 3:30am On Nov 27, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
and yet some people on this thread, in their infinite wisdom will go to tier 7 colleges grin for dead rated MBA's and Humanity degrees grin grin grin...

If Twoods says anything now, the association of Nigerians-Must-Go-To-America-By-Force will come for my head. cheesy A word, or in this case, many words from the NY Times is enough for the wise.

As i have always maintained, too many are focused on short term gains - admission and an F1 visa. There is very little thought about the "what next". You won't go to school forever, you don't want to be on an F1 for life. You will need to get a job and move on to an H1B. I recall many Nigerians had to go back home in 2009/2010 because of the financial meltdown which meant a lot of financial service employers were not hiring at all. For those who found jobs, the H1B visa was 100% guaranteed because there were so few people applying compared to the limit (there was practically no lottery that period). What to expect in the next 1-2 years:

1. The OPT is going to be severely limited. More than likely the USCIS will come out with new rules to shorten the OPT period and reduce the number of folks who are eligible. Those outside of STEM programs are likely going to lose out big time.

2. The H1B isn't going anywhere. The government can make all the noise they want. However, the rules have changed. As the NYT has noted, you now have a higher bar to meet to convince the USCIS that you bring a specialized skill that no American can meet. Going to 1-building schools is a sure banker that you will find it very hard to meet that bar, at which point, i can only wish you good luck.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Mitchely: 4:13am On Nov 27, 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Michoaddy: 4:16am On Nov 27, 2017
Pls I’m new on nairaland and a want to make enquiries on how to Ace F1 Visa.

Pls what are the likely questions and how to answer them. my appointment date is fast approaching...
I will appreciate all suggestions
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Tekecoms1(m): 4:20am On Nov 27, 2017
Michoaddy:
Pls I’m new on nairaland and a want to make enquiries on how to Ace F1 Visa.

Pls what are the likely questions and how to answer them. my appointment date is fast approaching...
I will appreciate all suggestions
Don't appreciate all suggestions but rather start reading the thread from page 10 at least and you will appreciate yourself for learning to read. Cest fini.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 4:48am On Nov 27, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
and yet some people on this thread, in their infinite wisdom will go to tier 7 colleges grin for dead rated MBA's and Humanity degrees grin grin grin...

More like Tier 52 smiley plus community colleges

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Stanleych007: 4:52am On Nov 27, 2017
This gave me some relief..
Oluiyke1984:
My transcript.
My interview was on the 8th of sept. 2017 at Abuja.
We left Ajah Lagos at about 8:45am 7th sept. and got to Abuja 7:45am, an hour 15mins to my interview, escaped 3 accident scenes.

Vo: good morning sir
Me: how r you, good morning dear
Vo: fine thank you, plz pass me your doc.
Me: passed my pee, SEVIS fee receipt and i20
Vo: where r you going?
Me: am going to California Miramar university and i stated the physical address, vo nodded and said good
Vo: for?
Me: my MBA and my program starting so so date, all through to so so date.
Vo: how did you get to know about the school?
Me: yeah, I got to know about the school from a facilitator when I went for a workshop at Lagos business school, this facilitator happens to be a professor and an alumni of the school.
I got him engaged and he told me a whole lot about the school. I made a further research, emailed Carol kulis the DSO to know the course outline, emailed Jim foster who's the operational officer to know the crime rate of the school and also the crime rate of San Diego, lastly, I emailed prof. Kimberly to confirm the details I got from those two.
Vo: who filled your ds-160?
Me: I did
Vo: ok, what will this MBA do for you and why MBA?
Me: it's a requirement for a managerial post in my company.
Aside the managerial skills am going to gain I will also gain leadership skill, these skills are very important and useful for growing my career more also it will prepare me to face the challenges involved in managing a firm and to understand the problem solving technologies in other to implement change. All these am going to get in CMU with the best global practices which can be modelled for use here when I come back to my country.
Vo: when did you graduate and what have you been doing since then.
Me: I graduated 2011, after my graduation I went for the compulsory NYSC for 1 year I then got a job at Snapshots studios, ( I told her my job discribtion) worked there for 2 years, then got a better job offer at so so coy where I am presently.
Vo: how much is your annual pay?
Me: 5,820,000 (485,000*12)
Vo: how many schools did you apply to
Me: 3
Vo: mention them sir
Me me mentioned them and told her all admitted me.
Vo: why CMU
Me: affordable same tuition fee regardless of international or domestic student, small class rooms offering high faculty student interaction, prof. Knows all students by their full names vo cuts in ok ok ok.
Vo: who's sponsoring you
Me: mentioned a company's name and told her it's a family business.
Vo: can I see your SOA?
Me: I only brought the doc. Ds-160 asked to bring (with confidence cos I no carry any doc go apart from my pee, SEVIS and i20)
Vo: your right but I need to be sure you will be able to pay for the school.
Me: I had it sent to the school and I believe the school would have done all necessary evaluation.
Vo: am going to issue you a yellow paper
Me: go ahead plz (cos I no want make she ask any other question cos i was carried away by the guy at the next window denied a guy and the guy come dey cry with abeg)

So I was issued a yellow paper and I was on AP, she checked school transcript on the yellow paper instead of SOA, I sent the transcript and a month later they emailed me to submit my SOA which I did. 2 weeks later my visa was issued.

For those on AP, no worries as long as your doc. Is genuine.

Biggggggg thanx to this thread. Mama of Lagos, e pe fun wa. Thanx to all.
How you fill your ds-160 maters.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 4:53am On Nov 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Where are you travelling to? Are you leaving from Lagos?

The snapshots attached are for Lagos to Washington DC (IAD airport). Using google flights you could see flights for as low as $724 (or N260,640 in Naira using N360 exchange rate) spread out all through November and December, as you can see in the first image. When you click on December 13, for example, it shows you the different airlines and their respective costs for flights leaving on that day and you could see Royal Air Maroc offering $724 (in the second image), which happens to be the lowest on the list. The $724 price is for one-way only. You don't need to book two-way. Probably why it has been expensive for you.

Those numbers change sometimes, once redirected to the airline website
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by imperiouxx(m): 5:55am On Nov 27, 2017
OWJAYHOVERJNR:
Hello house,
Anybody admitted to Calums(California university of management and sciences) for MBA here?
Please p.m me,
Thanks.

There was a time this Calums school was calamitous for people at the embassy just like VIU.

Hope you did your research very well?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ijebuboy525: 6:27am On Nov 27, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Best to buy a one way ticket instead of a return ticket ...... if your course is longer than 1 year
Thanks so much for this info, I was thinking it's compulsory to book a return ticket, God bless your medula
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ediaep: 6:34am On Nov 27, 2017
Ijebuboy525:

Hello, while booking your flight, what's the right date to enter as the return date?

It one way ticket
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ijebuboy525: 6:40am On Nov 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Where are you travelling to? Are you leaving from Lagos?

The snapshots attached are for Lagos to Washington DC (IAD airport). Using google flights you could see flights for as low as $724 (or N260,640 in Naira using N360 exchange rate) spread out all through November and December, as you can see in the first image. When you click on December 13, for example, it shows you the different airlines and their respective costs for flights leaving on that day and you could see Royal Air Maroc offering $724 (in the second image), which happens to be the lowest on the list. The $724 price is for one-way only. You don't need to book two-way. Probably why it has been expensive for you.
Thanks so much for the usual response, I'm traveling from Lagos and heading to Oakland California, thou I was checking on a return ticket until Lagos mummy just stated it's better to go for one way ticket as I'll be staying for more than a year. I'm so grateful bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by 9ikks(f): 6:50am On Nov 27, 2017
OWJAYHOVERJNR:
Hello house,
Anybody admitted to Calums(California university of management and sciences) for MBA here?
Please p.m me,
Thanks.
I am
But don't know how to PM here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by goodemma20(m): 6:56am On Nov 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

As of earlier today, December 12 for Lagos embassy.
Thanks, please can I book visa slot before submitting ds-160
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by 9ikks(f): 7:03am On Nov 27, 2017
Am I supposed to print a copy of my appointment slip?. I have been trying to do that but couldn't get it printed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ijebuboy525: 7:07am On Nov 27, 2017
9ikks:
Am I supposed to print a copy of my appointment slip?. I have been trying to do that but couldn't get it printed
You have to print your own copy, there is something like PRINTABLE page, click on it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by whyqueu(m): 7:14am On Nov 27, 2017
Hello NL , please any idea about University of Nebraska Lincoln admission for spring ? I applied 2 months and some weeks ago ...No update from them as at now !!! I was told two weeks ago ..its now moved from the Depqrtment to the Graduate Admission !!! Have sent mails and nothing coming forth !!! Any Ideal about the school Famz !!!! Please I'm worried !!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 8:10am On Nov 27, 2017
goodemma20:
Thanks, please can I book visa slot before submitting ds-160

Yes you can.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ijebuboy525: 9:21am On Nov 27, 2017
TWoods:

If Twoods says anything now, the association of Nigerians-Must-Go-To-America-By-Force will come for my head. cheesy A word, or in this case, many words from the NY Times is enough for the wise.

As i have always maintained, too many are focused on short term gains - admission and an F1 visa. There is very little thought about the "what next". You won't go to school forever, you don't want to be on an F1 for life. You will need to get a job and move on to an H1B. I recall many Nigerians had to go back home in 2009/2010 because of the financial meltdown which meant a lot of financial service employers were not hiring at all. For those who found jobs, the H1B visa was 100% guaranteed because there were so few people applying compared to the limit (there was practically no lottery that period). What to expect in the next 1-2 years:

1. The OPT is going to be severely limited. More than likely the USCIS will come out with new rules to shorten the OPT period and reduce the number of folks who are eligible. Those outside of STEM programs are likely going to lose out big time.

2. The H1B isn't going anywhere. The government can make all the noise they want. However, the rules have changed. As the NYT has noted, you now have a higher bar to meet to convince the USCIS that you bring a specialized skill that no American can meet. Going to 1-building schools is a sure banker that you will find it very hard to meet that bar, at which point, i can only wish you good luck.

Weldone Sir... Na Yankee sure pass cheesy grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 9:27am On Nov 27, 2017
righturn:
Hello gurus

Please I need advice, i applied to two schools for spring 2018, one school gave me an offer over a month ago, i tried waiting for the other school as it is my preferred option but they delayed in making a decision. Since appointment availability were running out, I paid sevis fee with the first school i-20, filled DS-160 with it and booked an appointment(In December) with the details of the first school. My issue now is I just got an offer from my preferred school some days ago. I need advice on what to do to still attend the school with the new offer. Thank you

Sharles:

I think depending on how close your interview date is. You can transfer your sevis to the new school. And update your ds160 to the new school. That Is if you get your i20 for the new school early enough.

The only issue with this is if you remember when you booked your visa interview date, you were asked to enter your SEVIS ID (which happened to be for the first school righturn booked with), school name (I think) and the zip code and unfortunately that part cannot be changed/updated on the visa appointment profile. To really change that would mean to drop/cancel his current date which may mean him losing his current near date for a later one if he really wants to go with the preferred school or he sticks to the initial school.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by kcwitch(m): 9:33am On Nov 27, 2017
Hello, please what's the current price of gre an TOEFL and which centre offers the cheapest in Lagos please?
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by 9ikks(f): 9:40am On Nov 27, 2017
Ijebuboy525:

You have to print your own copy, there is something like PRINTABLE page, click on it
OK thanks very much
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Alfred2000: 9:41am On Nov 27, 2017
Scored 274 in my GRE test. I guess i did poorly.am applying to study masters in chemistry and in one of tje schools i apply for a PHD in chemistry. What are my chances of getting an admission or funding with this score? I await your responses house..i need to know what next to do
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 27, 2017
Please check your mail @bigfrancis21
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Jamezy4u: 9:56am On Nov 27, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Calm down Pls .... grin . I dont think he meant it in the way it appears to have offend you .

Most airlines really will take you there safely so it then boils down to how much you want to spend that determines which you pick. The two you mentioned Turkish or Qatar are alright. Either one which way you pick is fine. Although i never used either but should be alright

This is coming from someone with his/her brain in right position. Does the Bleep think I asked the question to change my course to his/her? does he know when I applied and got my visa? He thought am like him? If he spent 2-3yrs planning on application, then something is wrong somewhere. Did he see my question about visa interviews or my transcript?

I asked for his course as me having the information could be beneficial to another person that might need it. He didnt disappoint me either but a display of typical BLACKMAN with BLACKBRAIN.

Even the question about the airlines is because, everyone will say they are good, but their actual state of service can never be read from anywhere except from practical experience hence my reason for asking. I could get the cost from anywhere from google to their official website. This should have spelt out to the duo that am not the type to be spoon fed.

See the other @Ponpon calling me OBO as if he has flied all the airlines and been to all the cities,

In fact! I have things to do rather than entering into fruitless engagement with senseless individuals.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gokuu(m): 10:04am On Nov 27, 2017
Alfred2000:
Scored 274 in my GRE test. I guess i did poorly.am applying to study masters in chemistry and in one of tje schools i apply for a PHD in chemistry. What are my chances of getting an admission or funding with this score? I await your responses house..i need to know what next to do

274, and you “guess” you did poorly?

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by kcwitch(m): 10:29am On Nov 27, 2017
kcwitch:
Hello, please what's the current price of gre an TOEFL and which centre offers the cheapest in Lagos please?
Thanks

Somebody should answer me na
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by vikturaikay(m): 10:31am On Nov 27, 2017
Please is Ashland University Ohio a red flag school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Epithet: 11:04am On Nov 27, 2017
kcwitch:

Somebody should answer me na
Check B.Y .Miafit or Brapit cc ponpon

(1) (2) (3) ... (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.