Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,857 members, 7,844,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (710615 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Beautyaddy: 10:38pm On Jul 25, 2017
DeeTus:
LOL! I work with foreigners in Nigeria and have taken their passports for visa renewal. What they issued them is one month with an option of renewal.

I don't have to provide an evidence to you. If you don't believe that, then it's your problem.

Really? And was the renewal done free?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
Beautyaddy:

Really? And was the renewal done free?
No, it's not done for free. You pay and get your passport immediately or the next day to avoid staying illegally. Please let's stop here. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Beautyaddy: 10:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
LagosismyHome:

You seem to say a lot of untruth with no evidence and pass it as the truth

I have travelled to Nigeria before on a visa because my naija passport has expired so i went and got a visa instead. .... this statement is not true.: Normally, the Nigerian Immigration issues one month

I think we're talking about permit stay and not the actual visa. The US and Nigeria has 2 years reciprocal visas for tourist and other visas but I don't think the permit stay in the country is reciprocal.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
Beautyaddy:

I think we're talking about permit stay and not the actual visa. The US and Nigeria has 2 years reciprocal visas for tourist and other visas but I don't think the permit stay in the country is reciprocal.

The post was tourist visa ......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 25, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Stories .....

The Vo who just responded. If this was a true statement would the Vo not have known since he or her too is on a Nigerian visa and replied this is standard process .. why is he told to contact the embassy to assist .
The VO might be on work visa and may have Nigerian residence permit. so, it's not the same thing.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:54pm On Jul 25, 2017
DeeTus:
The VO might be on work visa and may have Nigerian residence permit. so, it's not the same thing.

Surely a Vo who works at the embassy in nigeria has dealt with many issues for americans working or living in nigeria. Na their work and would be familar with that topic both tourist amd permit..before he or she made that comment

I have used tourist visa before and its not one month . I have to go check though
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 25, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Stories .....

The Vo who just responded. If this was a true statement would the Vo not have known since he or her too is on a Nigerian visa and replied this is standard process .. why is he told to contact the embassy to assist .
Also, let me tell you, the US Embassy in any part of the world cares for their citizens. So, that is why the VO asked him to contact their embassy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Beautyaddy: 10:56pm On Jul 25, 2017
LagosismyHome:

The post was tourist visa ......

Right. but the concern from the post was that Customs stamped him/her one month permit stay in the country and if needed to extend the stay will need to apply again with un-disclosed fee.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 25, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Surely a Vo who works at the embassy in nigeria has dealt with many issues for americans working or living in nigeria. Na their work and would be familar with that topic both tourist amd permit..before he or she made that comment

I have used tourist visa before and its not one month
Why do you always argue blindly? Please let's stop here. I don't wanna talk about this anymore.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gaviria: 11:01pm On Jul 25, 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:01pm On Jul 25, 2017
DeeTus:
Also, let me tell you, the US Embassy in any part of the world cares for their citizens. So, that is why the VO asked him to contact their embassy.

True and very possible the reason why
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by kodeya(m): 11:02pm On Jul 25, 2017
For my interview, apart from my Sevis registration and receipt, 1-20, D-160 , Confirmation page and statement of account, is there any other thing I need?

And do my printouts need to be in coloured?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Chapecoense(m): 11:03pm On Jul 25, 2017
mudi1012:
please house , My flight is next weekend ..My I-20 was printed via email and not the regular one that the school sends via post office..i hope this will not be a problem at the POE ? ..
Why are you not having the original one sent directly from your school all these while? By all means get it before ever travelling.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Chapecoense(m): 11:05pm On Jul 25, 2017
kodeya:
For my interview, apart from my Sevis registration and receipt, 1-20, D-160 , Confirmation page and statement of account, is there any other thing I need?

And do my printouts need to be in coloured?
No, None has to be printed in coloured. B/W is fine.
Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gaviria: 11:05pm On Jul 25, 2017
AfonjaBoston:

. . . and you are ABSOLUTELY right
Spot on! smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 25, 2017
Mayflowa:

This is quite true some other VOs might not overstretched this b4 giving out the white papers.

I noticed recently that Abuja VOs are now paying detail attention to bank statement as the easiest way to deny student visa. They just realise many of the monies come heavily in week preceding account statement print.

Truly this is ground for denial anyway in US as source of income is in doubt. However in Nigeria, many people don't keep money in bank and get money from varied source.

Students should go with account statement with even spread of money not in quick succession
spot on bros

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 25, 2017
femi312:
You dont say! Transcript cant tell the whole story of what happened, this has be said times without number. You cant really know if he/she really said what he/she typed. Secondly, there may be a mistake or saying something contrary to his/her DS 160. Additionaly, sudden large lodgment of money on SOA is a red flag.
spot on bra
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by akins2016: 11:19pm On Jul 25, 2017
emmy994:
Good morning all. My visa was delayed at Abuja consulate. This is my transcript.
Me. Good morning sir.
Vo. Good morning.
Vo. Passport n i20
Me. Here they are.
Vo.why are you going to utep
Me. I'm going for my masters degree in Statistics.
Vo. What do u do.
Me. I work with xyz as the admin officer.
Vo. How many schools did u apply.
Me. Utep, uic n University of Texas Austin. Got two admit n one pending.
Vo. Which other school admitted u.
Me. Uic.
VO. Why wud u be going to a low ranked sch if uic admitted u.
Me. I chose utep cos of its well structured masters program in Statistics and it also offers concentration in statistical modelling which suits my area of interest. I'm also keen on working with Prof ori in his research group. He was highly impressed with my sop and my researches that he offered to allow me join his research group upon my arrival.
Vo. Who pays.
Me. My sister. She's been the one paying for my education from my college through the University.
Vo. What does she do
Me. She is into real Estate and also owns a large farm.
Vo. Sorry blabla hand me blue paper.

The guy in window 6 was just dashing blue paper like say na sweet.
Pls gurus help me check where I got it wrong. Wanna reapply soon. Can I reapply dis week?
Am open to making corrections thanks

I believe you should not have mentioned UIC in the first place because the reason you later gave for not picking UIC over utep was not really cogent enough. Please re-fire, remove UIC from your story, and recompose your reason why you picked that school and you will get it. I am also a statistician and I am sad to hear you been denied ! Good luck in your next interview and I pray you get it.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 11:57pm On Jul 25, 2017
Fenix:

I wish I could help, my brother. I have no idea how you can get through to them.

exercise patience and wait till after 20 minutes before you send another pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 11:57pm On Jul 25, 2017
glitter24:
Good evening all, please walspring are you on WhatsApp? If you are please pm me your contact...... Please is slimmy still here? I miss his BBM pin. Please pm abeg it's been centuries

I am on whatsapp as if i am not.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 11:58pm On Jul 25, 2017
Ability247:

I sent you a message... but it says till you respond because we are not connected yet. could you please share whatever secret you have here on getting cheaper flights for the benefit of all concerned? God bless

What makes you think its secret... Na wa oooo

Anyway no secret but IATA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 12:03am On Jul 26, 2017
Fenix:
Hello all,

Please would it be possible to upload a photo again after completing the DS160 form? It kept refusing the photo I uploaded. When I submitted the form, I was prompted that I could bring a 5cm by 5cm photograph to the embassy but someone just told me that I would not be permitted to enter if I did not upload on the website.

Its because it doesn't match the requirement, Go and snap a new photo and tell the photographer that you want the one for visa lottery or embassy version
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 12:03am On Jul 26, 2017
Ability247:

If you are using a modem or hotspot, go to a cyber cafe and use their network cable. That was what worked for me. I think it is a variable IP/fixed IP issue. If you are already using a network cable, then try different browsers. That was what worked for some others.

This is funny.. If the photo doesn't match the requirement it won't accept it..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 12:09am On Jul 26, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Well not to bad mouth my precious country....but Nigeria is not an organise society and there is a lot of extortion going on sadly ..although there still are a lot of good and trust worthy Nigerians

As for why you were not given the 2 months initally... sure in order to make you pay twice. Is that right nope but it does happen in this side of the world. We have a missing president and we are a developing nation so please bear with us cheesy . I get headache after a week in naija . For answers to your questions, someone in your team needs to liaison with nigerian or US immigration services. That the best source to respond

The same way GTbank extorting student applicants via exchange rate.

Nah only naija bank exchange rate dey higher pass black market rate.

I just pity the dude because (S)he never see anything at all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:12am On Jul 26, 2017
Walspring:

The same way GTbank extorting student applicants via exchange rate.

Nah only naija bank exchange rate dey higher pass black market rate.

I just pity the dude because (S)he never see anything at all

E go better one day .......as the saying goes grin so
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by rinw: 12:15am On Jul 26, 2017
Visa approved Today 8:30am appointment at Lagos consulate, My transcript below

Me: Good Morning Sir
VO: Good Morning, how are you
Me: very well…thank you?
VO: Pass me your Passport and I-20
Me: I gave them to him
VO: why are you going to the US?
Me: Am going to the US for Masters in Engineering Technology with concentration in project management at Middle Tennessee State University (vo cuts)
VO: How did you hear about this course?
Me: My current line manager at work who is an alumnus of MTSU told me how taking a graduate course in engineering technology was very instrumental to his career growth and I also aspire to become a project manager in the nearest future.
VO: Tell me about the application process.
Me: Even though MTSU was recommended to me, I did an extensive research online for schools offering management course with engineering content, I narrowed down my search to 3 schools and contacted their respective program coordinator to get the admission requirements after which I paid the application fee.
VO: Whats your first degree?
Me: Computer Science
VO: What have you been doing ***(He answered this himself reading directly from my DS160 form)***You work with Bleep Techcnologies limited….Tell about your job role?
Me: I stated about 4 of my job role (then VO cuts in)
VO: You are a radio network optimization engineer tell me about ‘signal to noise ratio’
Me: (INeverExperredIt) Told him its a measure of desired signal minus unwanted signal such as interference in a wireless network. We always try to minimize background noise to improve SNR.
VO: You are an engineer, why management?
Me: MSc in Engineering technology would put me ahead of other colleagues at work as I wil stand a better chance of taking key technical and management position at my current place of work, I will be taking courses like Six Sigma, Trends in technology, technology commercialization, Project Management, Safety planning among others, all these courses will prepare me for leadership position.
VO: Ve you ever traveled out of nigeria?
Me: Yes, I’ve been to United Kingdom
VO: (flips through my passport to see past visa to UK) what’s your purpose of visit
Me: First was just a vacation, second trip was for my cousin’s convocation.
VO: are you married?
Me: No
VO: any kid?
Me: none
VO: How do you want to finance your study?
Me: I have got a partial scholarship which covers part of my tuition, the rest would be funded by my uncle and I also have a little funds to support my studies.
VO: He looks at the I-20 to confirm.
VO: what does your uncle do?
Me: He’s a chemical engineer and MD/CEO of bleep company that deals in supply of chemicals to manufacturing companies.
VO: I will be approving your visa, take your I-20 you will need it at port of entry, pick up your passport in the next 3 business day.

No Document asked.

Key Note: put God first. read as many transcripts as you can. Know about your course and school. be calm, maintain eye contact. even if you cram your lines, try to gesticulate a little so that you won't appear like you are reciting a script.

Special thanks to God for his grace and mercy.

special mention to @Oludare01 (this man paid for my GRE report free of charge #FOC, also did a last minute mock test for me), @kenkool ever responsive alumni, rasheed, @Djmakson, my personal person @mecigr8s and all my MTSU fellow. Thank you all for the support.

20 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (432)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.