Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,892 members, 7,810,426 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again (3772 Views)

South-east, South-south Monarchs Supports IPOB, Says Biafra Is The Answer.-Punch / Jewish Prophet From Israel Says Biafra WILL Be Independent In 2018 (video) / Anybody That Says Biafra Will Not Come, Will Die - Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by IslamicRebel: 8:50pm On Jul 07, 2017
Please take time to read this article from Washington Post.

It talks about the Biafran war and the fact that Nigeria has not learnt anything from the war. It fears a repeat occurence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/07/07/fifty-years-later-nigeria-has-failed-to-learn-from-its-horrific-civil-war/?utm_term=.74a8886521cb#comments

Fifty years later, Nigeria has failed to learn from its horrific civil war

In 2006, my freshman year at the University of Nigeria, a random adventure on campus led me to discover what many believe to be the forgotten transmitter of Radio Biafra, the crucial voice of the breakaway territory that was at the center of Nigeria’s brutal civil war 50 years ago. In May 1967, General Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu declared the southeast region of the country to be an independent republic. Radio Biafra’s broadcasts served as a medium of trusted news for citizens of the young nation, which featured news reports and war propaganda as Biafra battled Nigeria for its dear life.

The secession of Biafra was Ojukwu’s response to mass killings of Nigeria’s ethnic Igbos in northern Nigeria, dating back to May 1953, when scores were killed in a pogrom that the government refused to investigate. Two coups occurred in 1966, the first one in January claimed the lives of many Northern miltary officers. The second counter-coup left many Igbo military officials dead. On July 7, 50 years ago, the civil war between Nigeria and the breakaway state of Biafra officially began. By 1970 when the war came to an end, over 1 million Igbos had lost their lives. Nigeria’s fragile national unity was lost.

The story must be told.

I knew nothing about Biafra until I was 10 years old. What I learned was thanks to my family’s personal library and stories my mother told me of my maternal grandfather’s participation on the Nigerian side of the war. Millions of Nigerian citizens born years after the war know nothing about it or of the two coups preceding it. In our schools, there was no education about the civil war in the history curriculum; this is even more stunning considering the fact that the Biafran war captured international attention at the time. Last November, legislation to make history a core subject in our primary and secondary institutions was shot down in parliament for semantic reasons.

We in Nigeria learn nothing because we have refused to address the past squarely and learn from it. Consequently, Nigeria is frequently repeating its mistakes, with tragic consequences for its people. Nigerian authorities have mastered the habit of ignoring the cries of marginalized groups or subtly fueling the maltreatment of their members, giving rise to public sympathy for demagogues who ultimately resort to violence to gain optimum attention for their grievances.

For example, 50 years after the civil war, the case of renewed Biafran agitation is still being treated with kid gloves by Nigeria’s government. Many Igbos around the world still resent the dearth of proper federal infrastructure in the southeast and its political marginalization since the end of the war. This resentment has helped fuel the rise of Nnamdi Kanu, a frontline Igbo activist who has successfully resuscitated Radio Biafra and is agitating for the secession of the region.

In detaining him for over a year on charges of treason before releasing him on bail, the Muhammadu Buhari administration unwittingly galvanized massive support for Kanu and his dubious ideology. To thousands in the southeast and an increasing number across the Niger, hopes for Biafra 2.0 are on the rise again. Kanu has effectively set the agenda for a fresh conversation on restructuring Nigeria, as statesmen and regional leaders are beginning to speak up to support fiscal federalism and a possible referendum on the independence of Biafra. Ever the opportunist, Kanu has called for a boycott of the governorship elections this November in the predominantly Igbo state of Anambra, unless a referendum on Biafra is called.

In northeastern Nigeria, the early threat of Boko Haram also was at first ignored by successive Nigeria governments since the sect leaders Mohammed Yusuf and Abubakar Shekau began teaching radical ideologies to unemployed northerners. Shekau was killed extrajudicially in a Maiduguri police station in 2009. His death unleashed a terror that has ravaged the northeast of Nigeria ever since, with tens of thousands killed.

Yet another example lies in Kaduna State. In December 2015 the Nigerian army killed scores of Shia Muslims who were followers of Ibrahim el-Zakzaky. Security forces also killed several of his sons. To this day he and his wife remain in state detention. Observers fear that while the more educated Shiites have yet to respond violently, there’s only so much they can take. A vicious reaction from them could cause a ripple effect of violence that could spur rounds of fighting in the already troubled northern region. Like the killing of Igbos in May 1953 that no one bothered to investigate, failing to pacify the Shiites could spell trouble in a few years — a counter-massacre or a full-blown Shiite vs. Sunni war.

Nigeria as a nation exists on the basis of an ill-thought colonial decision in 1914, the terms of which may have to be renegotiated sooner or later, especially in the face of continued threats to national security posed by ethno-religious conflicts. As a people, we need to discuss the feasibility of Nigeria continuing as one “indivisible” state. Otherwise, if we continue to ignore the lessons of history, we will keep the country locked in an endless cycle of tragedy that could one day lead to renewed civil war. Is this a risk that Africa’s most populous country can afford to take again?

1 Like

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Laryne(m): 8:54pm On Jul 07, 2017
How they predicted the breakup of Nigeria during the heat of the 2015 election. .. only one game will spoil their permutation. ..

2 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by hammer6: 8:56pm On Jul 07, 2017
Everybody is talking Biafra.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Caustics: 8:57pm On Jul 07, 2017
stupid americans. what do they know?
Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by newyorks(m): 8:59pm On Jul 07, 2017
their fate shall fail them this time. amadioha will give them fight since they enjoy war. greedyamerica

they want blacks, african countries to always fight so they would acoust them to manipulate and ripe them of their natural minerals.

they can never interfe where there's no potential for them.

1 Like

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Iykmann(m): 9:00pm On Jul 07, 2017
Biafrans want referendum not war

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by FemiFimile: 9:02pm On Jul 07, 2017
. Like the killing of Igbos in May 1953 that no one bothered to investigate, failing to pacify the Shiites could spell trouble in a few years — a counter-massacre or a full-blown Shiite vs. Sunni war.
Shite and Sunni war loading.

5 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Homeboiy: 9:03pm On Jul 07, 2017
Americans are mad n they don't know

1 Like

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by ERockson: 9:08pm On Jul 07, 2017
Another genocide and kwashiorkor victims loading....

3 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 07, 2017
Let me ask what are we fighting for

4 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by IslamicRebel: 9:11pm On Jul 07, 2017
lucky999:
Let me ask what are we fighting for

Who has mentioned war?

2 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by PDJT: 9:14pm On Jul 07, 2017
-"The Igbos are bearing the burden that rightly belongs to all who sought progress for Nigeria" - Peter Enahoro (Late Anthony Enahoro's brother).

-Biafra is coming.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by IslamicRebel: 9:25pm On Jul 07, 2017
Looks like Biafra is here.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by franchizy(m): 9:29pm On Jul 07, 2017
I will really like to witness another Biafra war so the Igbos and kanu can reap what they sowed.

We the concerned igbos will never be affected as we are against biafra.

Kanu the criminal and fraudster will never see good together with his brainwashed and jobless Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by PDJT: 9:36pm On Jul 07, 2017
[s]
franchizy:
I will really like to witness another Biafra war so the Igbos and kanu can reap what they sowed.

Kanu the criminal and fraudster will never see good together with his brainwashed and jobless Igbos.
[/s]

-We have gone pass this your sort of childishness. You think say bullet and bomb dey discriminate? You better support the call for Referendum like civilized people have done, Mr. Suffering and Smiling.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Princesaha: 9:40pm On Jul 07, 2017
franchizy:

Afonjaa! Afonjaa!! afonjaa!!! How many times did I call you? May Amadioha strike your balls if you are not Igbo.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Yyeske(m): 9:41pm On Jul 07, 2017
Who is ready to fight sef, is it these jobless IPOB miscreants who make noise everywhere? The Hausas and yorubas should please push them to the SE to start the war they've forever craved for

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Integrityfarms(m): 9:43pm On Jul 07, 2017
This is beyond prediction but we can see its a certainty.

But I wish things did not deteriorate like this
Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Yyeske(m): 9:46pm On Jul 07, 2017
Iykmann:
Biafrans want referendum not war
We don't have a referendum or secession clause in the constitution, only way you can get it is through a democratic process or war. Kanu preached for war and lately for referendum. So choose which you want, Nigeria will give you as much as you want.
Go ask Québecois in Canada, Scotts in the UK and Catalonians in Spain how they got their respective referenda

3 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by franchizy(m): 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2017
Princesaha:

Afonjaa! Afonjaa!! afonjaa!!! How many times did I call you? May Amadioha strike your balls if you are not Igbo.

Stop calling me Afonja or ojukwu Diobu will strike you.

2 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by franchizy(m): 9:50pm On Jul 07, 2017
PDJT:
[s][/s]

-We have gone pass this your sort of childishness. You think say bullet and bomb dey discriminate? You better support the call for Referendum like civilized people have done, Mr. Suffering and Smiling.

Please kindly pass this your advice to Kanu and Igbos.

Kanu is heartless and a clown. His plans are just to send we the igbos into hardship or early grave.

You cant actualize biafra out of hate or insulting people.

3 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by SHAKABOOM: 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2017
The igbos i know dnt want war,dia haters are the pipo threatning dem with war.

1 Like

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by FisifunKododada: 10:10pm On Jul 07, 2017
franchizy:

shocked How can you wish war on your own kinsmen? E leyi gidi gan o! shocked

2 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by PDJT: 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2017
[s]
franchizy:

Please kindly pass this your advice to Kanu and Igbos.

Kanu is heartless and a clown. His plans are just to send we the igbos into hardship or early grave.

You cant actualize biafra out of hate or insulting people.

[/s]
-What stops you from leading an anti-Biafra or anti-Kanu protest, atleast in your village?

-See intrusive Unity-Begging(UB). grin

7 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Lajet: 10:57pm On Jul 07, 2017
Yyeske:
Who is ready to fight sef, is it these jobless IPOB miscreants who make noise everywhere? The Hausas and yorubas should please push them to the SE to start the war they've forever craved for

Afonja so you can no longer hide yourself. You have been lying to your fellow Afonjas that you are from Anambra state. You are now ready to expose yourself . Keep on praying for war when it start there will no be any escape route for you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by igbeke: 11:05pm On Jul 07, 2017
I just pray and hope this parasites let the Igbo go in peace to avoid the avoidable.
Sincerely if any of us is thinking of a repeat of 1967 massacre, you may just be in for an unpleasant and disgraceful surprise.
Let those that have ears, hear what Igbeke has just admonished.

4 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by 9jabull: 11:06pm On Jul 07, 2017
franchizy:

The table will turn upside down so that you afonjas & gambaris will witness the war well, because this time the war will reach all SW & North including Abuja, sokoto, lagos, Ibadan, kano etc.

10 Likes

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Ngozi123(f): 11:07pm On Jul 07, 2017
Yyeske:

No Igbo man would say this.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by Noneroone(m): 11:18pm On Jul 07, 2017
Who noticed how most foreign media organizations address both south east and south south as South east Nigeria. So many lies about Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by ShootToKill: 11:18pm On Jul 07, 2017
Ngozi123:

No Igbo man would say this.

The baboon you quoted is nylon-shiit flinging dunderhead from oshogbo. You don't need a very high I.Q to discern it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Says Biafra and Nigeria Will Fight Again by scribble: 11:34pm On Jul 07, 2017
Afonja author alert

Besides who cares?

Nigeria is the mistake. The zoo. Learned people want to depart from. We are tired of naija o and I mean everybody.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Throwback Photos Of Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar As A Bubbly Youth / Idris Derby Knows Something We Don't . / Irate Youths Strip And Rape Chief's Wife In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.